Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
Lightbulb What makes a good fanfic title?

What makes a fanfic title good to you?
To me a good fanfic title is one that is deeply linked to the plot but does not just state it simply. I don't mean you should use long detailed words that half of the reader cannot understand, but a title should not be just ' Lisa and her Eevee Go Camping'. In place of that maybe something like "Foxtales and Forest " might be better. It gives an idea of the plot without spelling it out.
Another nice title idea is the title of a song or poem. You have to be carefull with this idea though, as naming fics after new pop songs could date your fic or make it look very fad-ish later on

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 02-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost
Default Re: What makes a good fanfic title?

Well, I think that it depends upon the genre that your writing in. The cliches for titles - Journey, Adventure, etc. are prevalent everywhere, but I think that in fantasy or sf they can slide a little bit more.

Basically, I'd start out with a title, and then when the idea has been taken shape and plotted out, and you have you know what your ending is (basically, you know the full fic but have yet to write it) I would revise your title. Of course, some stories no matter how good they are have crummy titles (The Quest for the Legends, anyone?)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Hakken Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Hakken Send a message via MSN to Hakken Send a message via Yahoo to Hakken

I was just thinking about The Quest for Legends when I read this. Um, I think Cliche titles are alright to a certain extent, anyway. Um, I think if your story focuses on... Uh, a water type trainer, you could call it "The Ocean's Tide" or something weird like that...
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Titles for me... are actually kind of tricky. Believe it or not, Black River Crossing went through two previous titles, one of them first "The Broken Hills Prophecy," but after thinking about it, I didn't want to write about another propehcy.

I like making the title hint at an important event or concept that happens in the story, but doesn't give too much away. I just feels it gives more depth to the title, and makes the reader wonder about what the significance behind it is.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Haha, thanks for the mentions. :P

A title basically needs to tell the reader something but keep them curious in a healthy balance. If it tells the reader too much, it often makes the story sound more dull than it really is and can put heavy emphasis on the old and used elements of the fic (e.g. The Quest for the Legends, which surely brings up images of a really typical, clichéd fic about somebody who is chosen by the legendaries to save the world, which it technically is but it sounds so much worse in a title like that). If it tells the reader too little, there will be nothing to provoke the reader's interest in the story.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Silver-wind Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Silver-wind Send a message via MSN to Silver-wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
Haha, thanks for the mentions. :P

A title basically needs to tell the reader something but keep them curious in a healthy balance. If it tells the reader too much, it often makes the story sound more dull than it really is and can put heavy emphasis on the old and used elements of the fic (e.g. The Quest for the Legends, which surely brings up images of a really typical, clichéd fic about somebody who is chosen by the legendaries to save the world, which it technically is but it sounds so much worse in a title like that). If it tells the reader too little, there will be nothing to provoke the reader's interest in the story.
HAH! lol, my fic does something like that. "Frontier's bane", similar to frontier brain and yet something bad is going to happen. what? you have to read and find out. ^_^
Old 02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-wind View Post
HAH! lol, my fic does something like that. "Frontier's bane", similar to frontier brain and yet something bad is going to happen. what? you have to read and find out. ^_^
Damn...XD

Anyway, to me titles should be short, sweet, and one more aspect depending on the genre. If it's a horror, the title should be able to instil the feeling of fear. Something like "Bloodfire" is a bit too cliche, but could work. I know know it's not a happy-go-lucky Trainer story. If it's a trainer story, the title should tell of a long and tiring journey. Something like "Part One: the Journey" is a bit...er. But somethnig like (and I copyright this one, because it does belong to a story that I'm writing) "Odyssey" works well. If it's a fantasy story, it should tell of it. Either some mythical name like "Phoenix" or something that involves your own made up word. 'Tis true, no matter how much you may not like it. A story titles "Mithrial" is definietly more interesting than something named "Jacob".

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^