Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing

Creative Writing Share your fan fiction, stories, poems, essays, editorials, song lyrics, or any other related written work. All written must be your creation. Start a new thread, and keep replying to that thread as you add on more chapters. Anyone can join in at anytime.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: The Black River Crossing - Path of Jordan (PG-13)

Unbound

They say the darkest light is before the dawn. Within that absence of light, I find myself broken, and at the crossroads I find hard to decide to lay upon the sacrifice I give to myself for leaving, and for going on…

We headed down those stairs quickly. Some of the other tenants had seen us, but I didn’t care, we just kept moving. As I went down that crumbling staircase, I wasn’t sure if this building would still be standing by the time we got back, but it didn’t matter. Once we reached the first floor, the three of us headed around back and headed down the rocky coast to where the Sapphire Wavestrider was laying. It was hard to imagine this boat was our only way out of here, but it was.

“Jordan, are you sure this thing isn’t going to sink on us?” Diego asked me, not really happy about the condition of the boat, “We’re dead if this thing goes under while we’re in the middle of that oil-infested ocean.

“It’s beat up, but if there were any holes in the hull, it wouldn’t be here, it would be on the bottom of the ocean.” I told him, really hoping it would be strong enough to make it.

The dried up oil was all around our feet, but still, I had confidence. The three of us loaded the food, blankets, and the paddle into the boat itself. I then looked toward Naomi, and knew it was time.

“Naomi, you get in there.” I told her, helping her up into the speed boat itself, “Diego and I are going to push it out to sea.”

“Jordan, there’s freaking oil everywhere.” Jordan told me, not really happy he was going to have to try and find a way to wash it out of his yellow fur, “You really sure you want to do this?”

“Diego, we don’t have a choice.” I told him, pressing my small hands against the back of the speedboat, regardless of how dirty the hull was, “Come on, we won’t need to go in too deep. Just enough do we could row it out of here.”

There were no virtually no waves, which was going to make this much easier. Once Diego started pushing, I pushed as well, and soon the boat began to move out of the sandy ditch it had made. We kept pushing and pushing until the boat was beginning to move on its own, beginning to drift out to sea. Meanwhile, Diego and I were half-immersed into the water. The both of us quickly jumped up, headed on board the speedboat, and soon the boat itself began to drift outward.

“Oh nasty…” Diego remarked with disgust, seeing his whole bottom half was jet black from the oil, “It could take me weeks to get that out.”

“Who cares, let’s just row.” I told him, grabbing the left paddle and placing the plank into the water, “The sooner we get out of here, the better.”

Diego just shrugged, grabbed the right paddle and soon enough we began rowing. We did it slow at first, trying not to put too much strain on the planks. Still, when we had finally gotten twenty feet away from the Grayside City shore, I couldn’t believe we were actually going to finally leave that place…

However, it was harder for Naomi. She kept looking back toward the city, and I knew she was thinking about mom and dad. I really hated to leave without them, but there was no other way. Dad was either framed or was being a scapegoat, because I knew he would never do anything to hurt anyone. I was frustrated that mom was going to have to end up the same way, but it gave us this chance, it gave us the freedom we needed to try and figure out a way to get them out…

“Why did they have to do that to mom and dad?” Naomi asked, sounding like she was ready to cry, “They never did anything to them!”

“Sis, it will be okay.” Diego told her, still trying to row, “We’re going to get them out, you’ll see. But… we can’t do it alone…”

As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. We couldn’t do this alone… we were just two Pikachus and a young Pichu, we couldn’t get mom and dad out of prison just by ourselves. Dyson Corporation was just too powerful, and we were like leaves to be blown away by a massive corporate juggernaut…

But I didn’t dare give up now…

Shepherd

It passes around us, like wind. We feel it in our voices, and it becomes a part of us, and we see it on our skin, and in our eyes. The same force of essence that makes everything what it is…

Time…

It came to me as we crossed our way over that black river of oil and despair. We moved faster now, with the northern half of the Jansen Suspension Bridge by our right side. I already knew we would be exposed to more sadness, more corruption, and more strife, but I felt maybe there was hope in this. We weren’t alone in this cruel world, and I felt strong about it. I didn’t know how long it would be before we would see mom and dad again, but I loved them, and I knew they loved us in return. Mom had loved us enough to the point to give us this one chance to find a way to get out of Grayside. I closed my eyes for a moment, and words could not express how much I appreciated that and how much I loved her.

At that moment, I had figured that about now she was found out, and sadly paying the price for lying in effort to save the three of us and hopefully buying dad enough time to figure out what was going on. I had no idea what would happen to them, or why this all happened to begin with. I wish it could have been all of us leaving that place, but no. I had to live with the fact that if I ever wanted to see the two of them again, I would have to come back… one way or another…

The shores of the mainland of Metro were creeping closer now, and we could feel it. I did not know what was to become of the three of us or what hardship we would have to endure in the days ahead, but still. We were safe… for now…

“Geez…” Diego remarked, seeing how close we were, “Man, I don’t know how we did it, but we actually escaped Grayside City…”

“What’s going to happen to mommy and daddy?” Naomi asked me, seeming very worried, “Are we ever going to see them again?”

“We will, but it may not be for some time…” I told her, speaking the truth, “But you’ll be safe with the two of us.”

Diego and I rowed on, and to tell the truth, I wasn’t so sure about it. Inside, I had this doubt that maybe that wasn’t true. I don’t know what Dyson Corp would do in a situation like this, and for a few dark moments, I feared they could have been already killed them for what they had done, whatever that even was. And yet… the hardest part was not even knowing why this all happened in the first place.

And finally, we hit the shore. I had felt the Sapphire Waverider wash up upon the coast, and there we were, with all of Metro before us. It was a dark and dangerous world before us…

Diego and I had taken a blanket and tried to wipe off as much oil off of ourselves as we could. Still though, it was incredibly sticky and it was clear it was going to take a lot more than just that to get it out. For now, we just needed to keep moving. Hopefully someone out there would be willing to help us…

But it would be hard… knowing that there were so many others out there… just like us now…

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 02-15-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Knightblazer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Knightblazer Send a message via MSN to Knightblazer Send a message via Yahoo to Knightblazer

Ah... Chief! A new story, I see.... XDDDDD Trying to gain back fan fic attenion? =P

Anyway...

Yeah, this story sure is like, nice. Very, very nice take about corruption and tyranny and stuff like that. Almost makes me wanna force you to have my characters in it. =P And well... nice Pikachu commitee. XDDDDDD Figures, with you crazy over these yellow rodents...

But all I'm saying is, tis good so far. Keep your spirit, writing standard and morale up, and don't give Jordan another Latias. XDDD

Knightblazer

We're all trapped in a maze of relationships; life goes on with or without you.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightblazer View Post
Ah... Chief! A new story, I see.... XDDDDD Trying to gain back fan fic attenion? =P

Anyway...

Yeah, this story sure is like, nice. Very, very nice take about corruption and tyranny and stuff like that. Almost makes me wanna force you to have my characters in it. =P And well... nice Pikachu commitee. XDDDDDD Figures, with you crazy over these yellow rodents...

But all I'm saying is, tis good so far. Keep your spirit, writing standard and morale up, and don't give Jordan another Latias. XDDD

Knightblazer
Ha ha, no, I'll make sure I won't. This will be quite different.

And yeah, I've been trying to get back into fan fiction since I've been out of it for a while. And sorry, but I can't help it. Pikachu is still very awesome.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector

Very nicely put.

I dunno if I'm right, but you seem to have only got better since Juno and your Pokémon MD fic. There are only two things. Usually, you would put mom and dad with small letters at first, but when refering to a person in particular, I think you capitalise it. if someone were to say "Hi, Mom, I'm home!", they would capitalise the "M". It's no biggy, though. Also, in the begining of Unbound, I think the expression is "There is always darkness before dawn". But these sayings are always tricky, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Anyway, This is getting better and better. I've just figured out thet the Black River in the title is the oil-covered water body. or maybe it's only coincidence.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 02-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Snow Fairy Sugar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via MSN to Snow Fairy Sugar Send a message via Yahoo to Snow Fairy Sugar

Whoa!

Great ficcy Neo. Do you keep PM lists?

*Adds instant subscribe*
Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

NEO!! I F-ING LOVED ALL THESE CHAPTERS!! I can't wait for your next one! Your skills have only improved! I feel so honored to even be reading these!!

*glomps Jordan*

He is the best Pikachu ever and with the most kick ass name! Watch out Juno, Jordan is here!

(you like 'J' names don't cha Neo?)

=^^= Nya
Old 02-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
Very nicely put.

I dunno if I'm right, but you seem to have only got better since Juno and your Pokémon MD fic. There are only two things. Usually, you would put mom and dad with small letters at first, but when refering to a person in particular, I think you capitalise it. if someone were to say "Hi, Mom, I'm home!", they would capitalise the "M". It's no biggy, though. Also, in the begining of Unbound, I think the expression is "There is always darkness before dawn". But these sayings are always tricky, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Anyway, This is getting better and better. I've just figured out thet the Black River in the title is the oil-covered water body. or maybe it's only coincidence.

DS
Yeah, I'm a bit confused with the whole mom and dad thing, but it's not that big of a thing.

And yes, the oil-covered body of water they cross is what's being referred to in the title. But you'll see how this one little crossing becomes so much more in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth View Post
NEO!! I F-ING LOVED ALL THESE CHAPTERS!! I can't wait for your next one! Your skills have only improved! I feel so honored to even be reading these!!

*glomps Jordan*

He is the best Pikachu ever and with the most kick ass name! Watch out Juno, Jordan is here!

(you like 'J' names don't cha Neo?)

=^^= Nya
Hey, glad to see you love it. And thanks for reading it, I appreciate your feedback and support.

And I like the name Jordan as well. At first, I was thinking of telling the story from Diego's perspective, but, I decided to go with his older brother instead.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Hoshika Offline

You finally posted, but I thought there was going to be another chapter. >_> Any more coming soon?
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Passenger

Of a covenant, that walker unbound by his chains as he climbs aboard the expressway of life’s direction. They are like trains moving along on the tracks of fate, with the world as their passengers…

The air was cold that morning. Diego and I were filthy with the oil on us, but we did as much as we could to get it off. We needed to keep moving though, and it all depended on me. Where would we go now? What were we really looking forward to, if every destination seemed so shaken and so shattered? I didn’t know what my choices were exactly.

But, as soon as we stepped forward, we came across a large asphalt road junction. Meanwhile, all around us were industrial buildings and warehouses that had been long abandoned. Some of them were so old that they had completely collapsed or had fallen over. Sure, we could have easily made one of these places a home for shelter, but it wouldn’t provide us with food, and it wasn’t going to help us get mom and dad back…

“Jordan, where should we go?” Diego asked me, looking toward me to make the decision, “There’s got to be someone who can help us…”

Still… I kept looking around for anything of value. Anything… willing to scavenge whatever we needed to stay alive and out of harm’s way. Chances were they realized we had left and were long gone. But, we couldn’t stay here long and expect to survive…

“I… don’t know…” I told him honestly, still seeming desperate, “I was thinking Highway 47, but the last thing they need is three more mouths to feed.”

“Well… we can help them in return.” Diego suggested, trying to come up with an idea, “You know, work for food. We can do that.”

But still, I could see us doing that, and living out our lives there, never finding anything or ever finding out what happened to our parents. I really didn’t want to live my life knowing we had let them forever sit in jail when we could have done something about it. Still, it was a two day walk to that small town. Meanwhile, I wasn’t even sure if they had the food to do that. Still, it would get us further than to stay here…

“It’s due west.” I told him, remembering it from the maps, “We just need to follow the road, and we’ll get there.”

“What about the cars?” Naomi asked, still thinking about it, “Shouldn’t we stay off the road?”

“Naomi, no one drives cars anymore.” I told her, knowing I needed to be honest with her, “That’s a human’s machine. No one has actually driven on these roads for decades.”

And it was true. She just had to see, a lot of the machines and devices were left behind after the human race was changed forever. Some of them we still used, but most of them were scrapped and turned into something else. But for the most part, everyone was just trying to forget what happened to them. Many… had forgotten about the ancestors.

To tell the truth, I wasn’t even sure if we were natural born Pokémon, or our descendants were once humans as well. Either way, it all ended in the same path…

Concrete Vigil

With his eyes glazed, and his knees weak, he gives his testament to man, the fortitude that once was, and his racial following. He is bound with the chains of fear, the straightjacket of conceit, and numbed with the loathing and self-doubt passed through the generations.

It is a wonder he still stands.

The hours drudged on while we walked down that road. Among all the cracks in the highway and the median, I still saw the lines, and had no idea what they were for. White dashes, going on for miles. I also tried to imagine what it would be like with many cars traveling down at once. How did they avoid hitting each other? Still, I’ve never seen it, and it was hard

It was true we were torn. I really was missing mom and dad. Every passing hour reminded me of their faces, their smiles, and the hope they gave us. I wanted to be back with them, and how much I wished they were here with us, on this same road…

But now, we were only moving further and further away…

The Alpha

On your mark…

It was already dusk by the time we got too tired to keep walking. We hadn’t seen anyone here, or any sign of life for that matter. There was a city not too far off from the highway, but it was too hard to tell if anyone still lived there. I figured that too was abandoned, since if there were still citizens there, I figured there would have been lights in the windows. Instead, I didn’t see anything.

Our “camp” was nothing more than laying out blankets on the road and laying down to sleep. How I missed that mattress back home, but it wasn’t meant to be. Even though I was tasting freedom for the first time, it sure didn’t taste the way I wanted it to. We were still desperate, and I had a feeling we would never be free… unless something drastic was done.

“We should be about halfway there.” I told Diego and Naomi, trying to make sure they didn’t give up hope, “Just… keep in mind, I’ve never seen this place in real life. I have no idea what these Pokémon are like.”

“Just hope for the best.” Diego told me with a quiet voice, “Mom would be pretty happy to see we made it this far away from Grayside City. Heck, I bet she didn’t expect for us to have crossed the river like we did.”

“Yeah…” Naomi agreed, “But I still miss mommy…”

I shut my eyes, and I felt it. Far away, I felt she was missing us too…

Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Hoshika Offline

Oh, I was right. =P

Why are the chapters coming so short now? Or are they just sections of a chapter? @_@
I suffer from some desease where I just don't feel like catching a pokemon unless it's rare, which ends in me never catching com mons.

I finished Gold with a pokedex of 6.

Oak's Rating: "Congratulations! Looks like you've learned how to use a pokeball!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbok View Post

Haagen-Daz is an ice cream company, dumbass.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshika View Post
Oh, I was right. =P

Why are the chapters coming so short now? Or are they just sections of a chapter? @_@
Eh, I'm trying to avoid breaking the 15,000 character limit, that's the big thing.

They're not really chapters, more like sections. Honestly, I wanted to try a story without something so formal like chapters, and just make it pieces, kind of like a journal, but not totally like that.

EDIT: Yeah, okay, I see what you mean. I'll make the posts a bit longer, I didn't notice that at first.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 02-20-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Crossways

I was… still at a loss of what to expect in the times ahead. We were still desperate and broken. Even if mom and dad were here, we’d still be poor and homeless. And I knew… we were slowly running out of time and solutions. I didn’t even know what Highway 47 would be like. For all I knew, it could be just as dead as everything around us right now.

I couldn’t help but realize how strange it was… to be in the urban desert, the derelict of what once was before it was all taken over. All the old buildings once built by humans, once alive and full of people… now desolate. And this highway that seemed to span on forever… once too, made by human hands long ago.

Naomi wanted to take breaks often, and I let her and we stopped for a while. I was tired too, but I didn’t want to put too much strain on my younger sister. Already she had lost so much…

“Are we almost there, Jordan?” She asked me, laying out a blanket and then lying down, “Feels like we’ve been walking forever.”

“I’m not so sure.” I told her, sitting down and resting my feet, “It shouldn’t be too much longer though.”

Meanwhile, Diego was just looking at everything around him, and how barren it was. So many buildings no longer used, just sitting there like a massive graveyard before us. I knew what he was thinking, but there was something else he mentioned that I missed from before. It was… very different on this side.

“It’s all so… dead.” Diego told the two of us, looking over the guardrail and seeing the deserted industrial district around us, “And I thought it was really just Grayside City that was under such extreme depression.”

“Diego…” I told him, still feeling tense about it, “Someone’s got to do something about this. If they don’t… we’re all just going to die. I mean look, so much of Metro is dead already. They’re just not going to stop.”

Still, Diego was silent, but still in shock and awe. It was hard seeing him like that, but he was beginning to see it as I was seeing it. It was all so… disturbing to think how much of everything around us was truly gone.

“Yeah but… who though?” Diego asked me, still looking down and thinking about the question deeply, “I mean… why not us?”

“Us?” I asked Jordan, thinking he was out of his mind, “Diego, the two of us can’t change the world. We can’t stop Dyson, they’re too powerful.”

Still, he was distraught. He looked far out to the waters, where there were now signs that the oil was slowly fading off into pure water. And like that water… he felt there was still a hope out there.

“I want to know there was something we could do…” Diego told me, still looking out to the water.

“I already know the three of us can’t rescue mom and dad together.” I told him, knowing where he was going with all this, “As painful as it is… I already know…”

Still, we left it off with that, and eventually got back up and kept walking. We were very silent for the most part though, never saying anything while miles and miles of asphalt road passed us by.

The cracks weren’t looking any better. Meanwhile, we did find several car wrecks scattered around the road, many of them obviously destroyed. Tires, bumpers, hoods, and other metallic parts were all over the road as car after car was just laying there like gutted animals after a vicious slaughter. It wasn’t hard to see they were right after all. The other side of Metro really wasn’t the land of opportunity everyone in Grayside thought it was. There was no going forward, and society in Metro was like a rock being pushed uphill. The higher we had gone… the faster we were rolling right back toward where we started… with nothing. But still…

…maybe it was through losing everything that we were free to do anything. But still… how much really was that when we had nothing? How could we ever get started with beginning all over again?

Our food supply was running short now, and I knew we didn’t have much time left. I knew we would make it there in time, but the real question was whether they were still there, and whether they had food or not. Truthfully… they were also off the map, so there was really no telling if it was just a fable or if this place really existed… and if it didn’t… we were doomed to die of starvation for sure.

Seekers

After several more miles of hiking, we finally arrived at the settlement known as Highway 47. It was pretty much nothing like they had mentioned before… just a home for the homeless with many makeshift buildings and tents, but no real establishments. Blankets, tents, and even the ruins of cars and busses were turned into living areas. When I looked at it all… I was pretty distraught, but still happy that it was still there.

There was trash scattered, burning trash cans, wreckages of machines lying around, but still with the clam and serene feeling of peace… but without the prosperity. While it wasn’t the most ideal place to live… one could find the companionship and the peace they wanted here.

Still, our arrival did cause some attention from the rest of the citizens. Some young children had stopped playing with a ball and then looked at us strangely. It wasn’t until a Grumpig and an Alakazam had approached us did any of them actually talk to us.

“Haven’t seen you three before.” The Grumpig said to the three of us with surprise, “Where are you three from?”

“Grayside City.” I told him, still feeling strange being here, “But… we’re running low on food.”

“Grayside… I see.” The Alakazam replied, looking right at me, “You miraculously crossed the black river… one that many have died trying to cross.”

I guess it was highly unusual they met someone from there with the bridge being down. Still though, I really wanted to know if there was anything more to this…

“There are plenty of Pokémon here that think Grayside City is the forbidden golden city they wish they could reach.” The Grumpig told the three of us, “Tell me, is it really like that?”

“Ha ha, pretty far from it.” Diego laughed, finding that to be pretty crazy, “The buildings are falling apart, there are plenty of homeless people there, and yeah, they think this place is ripe with opportunity when really… it sure isn’t.”

“No, it’s not.” The Alakazam replied, figuring that’s how it must have been, “By the way, my name is Xavier and this is Cyrus. I apologize for not introducing ourselves earlier.”

The Grumpig looked a little embarrassed at first, but then shrugged it off.

“Ha ha, yeah, sorry about that.” Cyrus told us with a short smile, “Around here, we’re pretty much poor but happy. At least most of us are anyway. You know… better than being rich and miserable is what I always say.”

“Well,” I told him, introducing myself to the two of them, “My name is Jordan, this is my brother Diego and my little sister Naomi.”

“Yeah we… had to run away from Grayside City after our parents were apprehended by the Dyson Investigative Bureau.” Diego told them, laying down the reasons as to how we ended up here in the first place, “Right now… we’re trying to figure out ways to get them out of prison… but we’re coming up short and we have no place to stay.”

It was hard, really. Cyrus was looking toward Xavier, and felt a little empathy for us. But still, I knew what would be required of us soon…

“Kind of amazes me how these kids made it out of there without their parents.” Cyrus told Xavier, taking a glance at us, “What do you get from it?”

“They are afraid, but inside… they had the same hope we do.” Xavier told him, thinking about it, “Not to mention… they know what is on the other side of the river. Only they know the truth…”

Maybe there was more to this story after all…

Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Lord Voldemort Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Lord Voldemort

Wow, thats just amazing. You make everything seem so real even when there are Pikachu's (of course). You should get something published, not this obviously, Pokemon copyrights and what not, but yeah.

By the way, why's this PG-13? Theres not much bad about it, unless there's something coming up later.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Voldemort View Post
Wow, thats just amazing. You make everything seem so real even when there are Pikachu's (of course). You should get something published, not this obviously, Pokemon copyrights and what not, but yeah.

By the way, why's this PG-13? Theres not much bad about it, unless there's something coming up later.
I'm working on something I might try to get published. But, it may still be a while before that happens.

As for the PG-13 rating, the real effects of that may come later...

Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Roots

It is the question that’s been really driving me this entire time…

We found a decent place to stay, with Cyrus willing to take us in. However, yeah, we were going to need to pull our own weight around while we were here and help him with the work. There were a few fields due south of the town where the soil was still good enough to bear crops. However, they were very fragile and needed constant care. The three of us doing our part would ensure a great survival of the crop, and it would be in turn our way of getting fed, and being able to survive.

But still, it feel like we were slowly being sunken in, like our lives would be lived out here, and we would never know what ever happened to mom and dad. I made it clear to Diego and Naomi that this was just a temporary setup. Maybe we could live peacefully with them by our sides at this place, but still. This was not over, I wanted to be sure of it.

No one… remembers…

There was something I kept thinking about at the time, and it was something I wanted to ask Xavier about, since he was really only one of the few that could look back and obtain the answer. After I was done harvesting my share of oranges and oats for the day, I had found him, meditating in the afternoon sun with his eyes shut while sitting down. The day was late, as I saw Naomi playing kickball with a Magby and a Smoochum, while Diego was trying to relax with a drink of water as he watched after his younger sister. Everyone else was just standing by, enjoying the rest of the day. But me… I was thinking about something deeper. Something even Naomi or Diego never really considered, but it all came to me in that dream.

I was patient with Xavier. I waited by until he was done with his meditation, and then when he was finished, he looked up at me, almost curious.

“You had something to ask me?” He questioned me at he looked directly into my eyes.

“Yes… Xavier.” I told him, approaching him carefully, “I want to know… something. I want to know if my ancestors were… humans or Pokémon… you know, before the Brigadier War.”

He shut his eyes once again, thinking about it. It seemed, there was more to this than I ever thought.

“Why do you ask?” Xavier asked me, with his eyes still shut, “What does it matter who they were? How do you think that will make a difference as to who you are now?”

“I… often find myself surrounded with the question.” I told him, laying it out before him, “In my dreams, I see humans… often struggling… moaning… telling me that I could have been them. Knowing the truth… would stop giving me these nightmares.”

Again, Xavier had his moment of silence. I knew… this was something to give great consideration to…

“Just know that the answer does not matter when it comes to who you really are.” Xavier told me, “You are concerned about your heritage, wondering what you would have done if things were different. What your life would have been like if certain things had not taken place. But knowing this does not change anything. Just remember that. But, if knowing the truth would put your mind at ease, I will tell you.”

I understood his reasoning. In the end, I was still a Pikachu, regardless of what had happened to everything before I had come alive into this world. But I wanted to know… so the question would stop haunting me.

“I understand.” I told him, giving him a nod.

“I know you do, I can feel it.” Xavier replied, giving me his assurance, “Now hold out your hand, and we’ll see.”

I did as he said, and presented him with my tiny, yellow hand. He had felt it with his own hand, meditated for a moment, and there was silence. I closed my eyes, not really sure what kind of answer I would have wanted. Maybe it was better that way, not really hoping for one outcome over the other.

“Your father’s name is Joshua, and your grandfather’s name is Nathaniel.” Xavier told me, able to look into my past, “They were always a Pokémon, Jordan. Regardless of whether the Brigadier War happened or not, you would have always been what you are now. Nathaniel, as well as many natural Pokémon that had been alive at the time, had felt empathy for those who were once humans. Like in the past, Pokémon had always tried to help humans, but this time, it was different. In order for the new Pokémon to survive, they became as one with their followers. All was shortly integrated into society shortly after. We lived with them as they lived with us.”

I took a sigh of relief. I felt stronger now, knowing that no haunting image in my nightmares would intimidate me and wonder about who or what I really was. I knew now… I knew why and how. I knew who I really was…

Voices

Despite how we considering the action of us first making our moves, we all follow the long chain, clasping each link of life to the next. And its handed down… as the chains that hold the world up.

And the cradle they are bound to… is the mandate of heaven…

The evening soon settled in, and I had seen something in the sky that I had never seen before…

Stars…

The dark clouds that blanketed over Grayside were no longer holding back the endless rift of space and all its wonders. I had almost never seen stars before, and I found them to be so enticing.

Diego and I had managed to wash off most of the oil on ourselves before the night had fallen. Still, I kept wondering what was going to happen in time, or what our direction was now, and where we were meant to go from here…

Like a giant family, the citizens of Highway 47 ate dinner together, and for the first time, we managed to eat until we were full. It felt strange for a while, almost feeling heavy and tired at the same time. Honestly, I was far more comfortable with raising crops rather than being cooked in a steel mill all day long. There was no doubt this was also hard work, but the reward was far more worth it. We were getting what we worked hard for. But still, I how I wished that mom and dad could have been here with us. We would be happier here… the five of us. It didn’t feel the same without them… not at all.

When we all came together, I realized who were the leaders of this settlement. One of them, a Blastoise by the name of Marcus, was the overseer and the one in charge of keeping everyone here under control. While strong, smart, and formidable, his job was relatively easy. There was very little need for disagreement here. While we never had much and Highway 47 could be called anything but luxurious living, it was a peaceful place that could have easily been called home. But without mom and dad, it just didn’t feel right… and it never would.

It had only been the first few days we were there, but still, I was constantly reminded about home, and everything we had to leave behind. I knew it wasn’t much, but it wasn’t the apartment or the jobs we used to have. It was all about our parents…

I had to really think of ways that we were going to get mom and dad out of there. I had been thinking hard about it, but I didn’t come up with much, and I was getting more anxious by the moment knowing they could be enduring a very harsh sentence in prison. I had a feeling they were wrongly accused, but regardless, around in Metro, everyone was guilty unless proven innocent. And then again, even the lies would be bent to benefit everyone in Dyson who owned everything here…

It had gotten late again, but I felt comfortable in the tan-colored tent that had been given to the three of us as a gift from Cyrus. Even though it was pretty beat up, it was still quite a generous gift considering we had nothing to start with. He still felt pretty bad we were all on our own, but I knew Diego and Naomi were mostly in my care now. I had to watch over them now, and make sure they would stay safe here.

When I had finally gotten to our tent, I realize it was already pretty late and Diego and Naomi were already fast asleep. Still, I felt the breeze that whispered through the night, blowing all around me as everyone in Highway 47 was very still, almost all of them fast asleep. Out there, I knew they were out there, and I was really missing them.

“We made it, mom.” I said to the night sky, just watching the stars, “We’re safe, but we need you. It’s not the same without you and dad. I have not forgotten you. We’re coming… please just hold on…”

I shut my eyes for a moment, and then opened them again to climb inside our tent. We would keep warm here for the night, and now, I could sleep in peace knowing the truth behind us. Knowing what we really were, and not having to fear my dreams and their false messages…

Humans were gone now, and for once, I felt I could really get on with my life knowing who I really was…