Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:42 AM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to xxxSakura
Default Re: Do you think May deserved the 5th ribbon? I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistdragon View Post
I have just checked a few things out;

Apparently, in contest, moves like Tackle and Tail Whip are considered HIGHLY APPEALING. Also, contest disqualifies the immunity of ghosts to physical moves, I think...

I might be wrong so don't take my word for it.
The part about the Tackle and Tail Whip is only for the GAMES. I'm not so sure about the immunity, though.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 PM
TVTMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Technically, Banette is a ghost-possesed puppet. So in the anime, the typing wouldn't matter as it's simply a possessed object. Now if Banette were outside his puppet, yes, Tackle would go straight through.

Back again for like the fifth sixth seventh time or something. Moving and taking classes at community college and beating all the Zelda games and arrrglblargl.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTMaster View Post
Technically, Banette is a ghost-possesed puppet. So in the anime, the typing wouldn't matter as it's simply a possessed object. Now if Banette were outside his puppet, yes, Tackle would go straight through.
Actually yeah, I agree with that. It has a solid form.
Alright then she did deserve it after all. Go May!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Espeon Rinage Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Espeon Rinage Send a message via MSN to Espeon Rinage Send a message via Yahoo to Espeon Rinage

To raise some points, Banette's special attack is nothing special, but neither is Squartles with Bubble, so Banette's Thunder would break through and leave a normal Squartle with about 25%.

Also, Levels do exist in the anime, brinigng my point to a origonal epersode, in which Pikachu was rated at level 16 when it should be 25, by a good looking know it all pokemon school trainer.

Made By Me :D
Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
charmeleonblaze Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMistyMayfan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting May. She does have the makings of a good cooridinator, but the moves of her Pokemon were just not impressive. I mean, Tackle, Rapid Spin, Bubble, those are unimpressive moves that I as the judge wouldn't give her high marks for. Had she taught the Squirtle moves like Skull Bash, Hydro Pump, or the high leveled Hydro Canon, then she could dominate the event. May plays it conservative out there instead of aggressive nature, and that makes her look bad next to the usual listening to Harley and looking stupid for it! Just when is May ever going to realize that Harley is trying to make her look like a fool and is doing a good job?

I hope HIkari is going to teach her Pokemon some impressive moves, or it's going to be a disaster for her. Trainers, and cooridinators have to learn to win or not to win, and not having your Pokemon learn the high level extreme moves doesn't cut it in battle or contests.

3 judges can say May won, but Simon Cowell in me wouldn't say it until I saw something impressive. The contests on Pokemon need to be done better then this. Least Vivian, or Lillian, do provide good distractions.
You're definitely right, May in no way deserves to win that. Moves like those you mentioned are boring and unimpressive, but moves like hydro cannon and skull bash would be awesome.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmeleonblaze View Post
You're definitely right, May in no way deserves to win that. Moves like those you mentioned are boring and unimpressive, but moves like hydro cannon and skull bash would be awesome.
You're just repeating what he mentioned ^^;

Quote:
But was Banette outside of the puppet? No, right? And even if Banette was inside the puppet, moves like Tackle are still not that appealing after all.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:06 PM
xXSapphireXx Offline

As proven in the Anime, Thunder takes a longer time to charge than Bubble, so Squirtle could defend itself.

IIRC, Banette was knocked out after getting dizzy standing on top of Squirtle's shell while Squirtle was using Rapid Spin. That was used once or twice throughout the battle, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Squirtle's uber enough with Ice Beam. If I get real Pokemon Anime Followers, they'd agree that Squirtle was uber enough with Ice Beam. [No practice yet perfection already, that's uber enough in Pokemon Anime Standards] Hydro Cannon and Skull Bash would make him/her a Gary-Stu/Mary-Sue. And Banette had nothing special. Thunder and Will-O-Wisp, IIRC, were used pretty often. Haruka definitely pulled off nice appeals with those attack. What kind of appeals would you do with Hydro Cannon? As proven in the Anime, moves like Solarbeam, Hydro Cannon and the like take out a humongous amount of energy from the Pokemon itself [Witness the Roselia VS Medicham Contest Battle]. Plus, such moves require a certain amount of time to charge up energy [as shown in the Anime] to use the attack itself. They'd have counter Hydro Cannon swiftly before even Squirtle could use the attack.

And please use the Japanese Anime as proof, for the dub is unreliable at times, even though it is a good dub [Before the PUSA takeover].

Hatch @ 29
Silcoon @ 35
Beautifly @ 44
Lv.100 @ 314
Avatar by Shuuharu Hiwatari of SPPF
Old 12-13-2006, 05:43 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSapphireXx View Post
As proven in the Anime, Thunder takes a longer time to charge than Bubble, so Squirtle could defend itself.

IIRC, Banette was knocked out after getting dizzy standing on top of Squirtle's shell while Squirtle was using Rapid Spin. That was used once or twice throughout the battle, as far as I'm concerned.

Squirtle's uber enough with Ice Beam. If I get real Pokemon Anime Followers, they'd agree that Squirtle was uber enough with Ice Beam. [No practice yet perfection already, that's uber enough in Pokemon Anime Standards] Hydro Cannon and Skull Bash would make him/her a Gary-Stu/Mary-Sue. And Banette had nothing special. Thunder and Will-O-Wisp, IIRC, were used pretty often. Haruka definitely pulled off nice appeals with those attack. What kind of appeals would you do with Hydro Cannon? As proven in the Anime, moves like Solarbeam, Hydro Cannon and the like take out a humongous amount of energy from the Pokemon itself [Witness the Roselia VS Medicham Contest Battle]. Plus, such moves require a certain amount of time to charge up energy [as shown in the Anime] to use the attack itself. They'd have counter Hydro Cannon swiftly before even Squirtle could use the attack.

And please use the Japanese Anime as proof, for the dub is unreliable at times, even though it is a good dub [Before the PUSA takeover].
Unfortunately, some like me in having cable do not have access to the Japan channels that do show shows like Pokemon, or the very old series Sailor Moon. I know the dub is not quite the original, but Ash is more easier to remember then the Satoshi name because I've had Ash more times then Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. I am pleased to say that I do have the entire series of Sailor Moon on DVD and I have watched her last season with interest and feel it was mistake not to complete the series. NOw maybe the Pokemon series should've been shown originally, but give me the translation on what is being said, like when I watch Sailor Moon on my DVD, I get the subtitle and it's easy to read what each girl is saying. If I get no subtitle, I am totally lost on what is being said.

As for the contest, I still feel if you say it's similar to the cheerleading contests, you need to show impressive agility out there with something that's going to be impressive. That's why there are shows like American Idol and America's Got Talent because judges expect more out of the performer, and same should be said with the Pokemon that May has. Squirtle should learn moves like Skull Bash, Hydro Pump, and Hydro Canon. My mouth would be wide open to see Squirtle with Tackle, Rapid Spin, or some other move that's not even worth more then 2 stars to 4 for some, and tackle still should not have gone through Banette like that because it's a ghost. Now either do the show similar to the RSE or the Dungeon, but you can't do both if you say one thing about a ghost Pokemon, but do another thing that doesn't make sense and wasn't even that highly effective.

I still feel there's too much illogic to tell me that a 20 attack Bubble is more effective then the 80 powered Thunder attack (I have to look up Thunder obviously to see how powerful it is, but I do know Bubble is only a 20 powered attack that won't do much damage, unless the Squirtle was say level 100, but that can't be for it hasn't battled that much with May for the EXP.

And Rapid Spin, that's also a low powered attack. Why make it highly effective on Bannette? SOme of these low attacks from the game are just illogical to put on the air and make them highly effective when you use those in a game, you'll get smacked out of the competition fast.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Blue Sea Offline

Anime doesn't follow game rules. Anime follows physics (or whatever happens to be most convenient to the plot).

How Bubble beats Thunder:

Thunder is an electric, composed of electricity.
Bubble is a water attack, composed of...bubbles.

Thunder hits Bubble #1. Bubble #1 absorbs electricity and bursts. The remaining electricity hits bubble #2, #3, and so on. As long as Squirtle can keep spitting them out fast enough, Thunder is effectively blocked. If Squirtle has used something like Water Gun/Hydro Pump/etc, it would drawn the attack straight to it.

Also, the bar on the main screen has nothing to do with how much damage an attack does. Case in point, you lose points for not hitting your opponent. It's more a measure how effectively and elegantly you battled. Imho, May did quite well here (much better than Jessie).

Anyways, if you want a really awesome battle (contest or not), wait for the Grand Festival (or whatever they call it in the English version).

Hatch @ 17
Dragonair @ 92
Dragonite @ 167
Lv.100 @ 302
Old 12-16-2006, 01:40 PM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sea View Post
Anime doesn't follow game rules. Anime follows physics (or whatever happens to be most convenient to the plot).

How Bubble beats Thunder:

Thunder is an electric, composed of electricity.
Bubble is a water attack, composed of...bubbles.

Thunder hits Bubble #1. Bubble #1 absorbs electricity and bursts. The remaining electricity hits bubble #2, #3, and so on. As long as Squirtle can keep spitting them out fast enough, Thunder is effectively blocked. If Squirtle has used something like Water Gun/Hydro Pump/etc, it would drawn the attack straight to it.

Also, the bar on the main screen has nothing to do with how much damage an attack does. Case in point, you lose points for not hitting your opponent. It's more a measure how effectively and elegantly you battled. Imho, May did quite well here (much better than Jessie).

Anyways, if you want a really awesome battle (contest or not), wait for the Grand Festival (or whatever they call it in the English version).

They call it the Grand Festival as well >.<;;

Well, I suppose you do make a point, May did better than Jessie, at least :O
But anyway, most of us didn't really think May deserved the ribbon. I think she could have worked harder instead ^^
Old 12-23-2006, 06:55 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Exactly. It's like this when you watcha football game:

If you beat an opp. that has done nothing, that's not a good win
But if you beat an opp. that did something in their division, that's a great win.

May against Jessie and winning, Jessie is the opp. that has done nothing impressive. But if May was against Drew, or Harley and beat them convincingly, then she deserved the ribbon.

RIght now, May beat a losing opp. and not a winning opp. in that contest. That's the point we're all saying, and I as a judge would be very disappointed with that performance from May. I wanted something better, not a performance.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Blazeiken12 Offline
Master Trainer

I don't know who diserved that ribbon I think they just gave May that ribbon so she could lose to Drew's rival(Can't remember her name?) but still Squirtle still could have a chance to be Bannete. I still think Bannete is more of a puppet then a ghost he dosen't even look like a ghost, hes a poor excuse of a ghost Pokemon to be hit by Tackle, Capser makes a better ghost then him, and Casper's The Friendly Ghost!

Current Vpp
Hatch @ 397 Completed!
Rukushio @ 412 Completed!
Rentorra @ 472
Lv.100 @ 682

URPG Stats

Join the UPRG it's fun!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Blue Sea Offline

AshMistyMayFan: Hmm...I guess I can see where you're coming from, but if everyone else already had five ribbons, I don't see how being better than the opponents who are left over isn't good enough. I mean, a ribbon is a ribbon. ^^;;

Maybe I haven't seen enough contest battles or something. I thought that May vs Jessie was a better fight than the one before that vs Harley and then vs Harley again at the Grand Festival...

Hmn, maybe what I don't get is, what exactly constitutes as "working harder"? Is it finishing your opponent with one blow, or dodging every attack or something? (Or, since it's a contest, creating more sparkles? )

Hatch @ 17
Dragonair @ 92
Dragonite @ 167
Lv.100 @ 302
Old 12-23-2006, 01:48 PM
xxxSakura Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sea View Post
AshMistyMayFan: Hmm...I guess I can see where you're coming from, but if everyone else already had five ribbons, I don't see how being better than the opponents who are left over isn't good enough. I mean, a ribbon is a ribbon. ^^;;

Maybe I haven't seen enough contest battles or something. I thought that May vs Jessie was a better fight than the one before that vs Harley and then vs Harley again at the Grand Festival...

Hmn, maybe what I don't get is, what exactly constitutes as "working harder"? Is it finishing your opponent with one blow, or dodging every attack or something? (Or, since it's a contest, creating more sparkles? )
I don't know, but it should be something good or so. And ya, May vs Jessie was fine ^^ But we're thinking that May doesn't deserve the 5th ribbon here because of some reasons.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Pikachu_Ridin_Silverwind Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Pikachu_Ridin_Silverwind
Red face Re: Do you think May deserved the 5th ribbon? I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMistyMayfan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not cutting May. She does have the makings of a good cooridinator, but the moves of her Pokemon were just not impressive. I mean, Tackle, Rapid Spin, Bubble, those are unimpressive moves that I as the judge wouldn't give her high marks for. Had she taught the Squirtle moves like Skull Bash, Hydro Pump, or the high leveled Hydro Canon, then she could dominate the event. May plays it conservative out there instead of aggressive nature, and that makes her look bad next to the usual listening to Harley and looking stupid for it! Just when is May ever going to realize that Harley is trying to make her look like a fool and is doing a good job?

I hope HIkari is going to teach her Pokemon some impressive moves, or it's going to be a disaster for her. Trainers, and cooridinators have to learn to win or not to win, and not having your Pokemon learn the high level extreme moves doesn't cut it in battle or contests.

3 judges can say May won, but Simon Cowell in me wouldn't say it until I saw something impressive. The contests on Pokemon need to be done better then this. Least Vivian, or Lillian, do provide good distractions.

may dosent get that much training as there arent contests in every town like gyms and squirtle is only young and hows it supposed to learn hydro pump early? ash had his squirtle for long