Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General » Trainer's Court

Trainer's Court The Trainer's Court! Where the URPG hold it's trials.

View Poll Results: Would you change how sleep talk works
I like it the way it is 4 30.77%
I think it should change 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:06 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia
Default Re: Sleep Talk TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolcurtis
I think most of what u said trying to counter me is worthless.
So sue me for making logical sense.

You seem like one of those people who will talk their head off and even though you seem to type alot and it seems convincing, but it's mostly not.
You'd have to explain, because I think I've backed up every one of my arguments with examples and logical reasoning. So I really don't see where you're coming from.

I bet i could beat you if you would like to see how sleeptalk works the way it is.
I wasn't aware the issue at hand was you vs me in a battle. The issue was whether or not we should change Sleep talk to reflect how it actually works.

You seem to think i'll lose if i use toxic.
I said Toxic is not as powerful as you jacked it up to be. There's a difference.

You think there is no way to get around slping.
I showed examples. RBY Slp was so powerful that Nintendo changed it for GSC, and so far you haven't shown me any logical and/or conclusive examples to illustrate your point.

You also think snore isn't good on anypkmn, when in fact it can kill you in 2 hits from snorlax(I'm not saying how, and they aren't critical hits either).
Belly Drum. Rest. Snore. I'm not stupid. But you must realize that the Drumsnorlax has been out of commission from the actual metagame of online battling since the early stages of GSC because it just doesn't work as well as other alternatives. Snore has how much power? 40? Correct. Now do you Belly drum and use scratch after? Of course not, that's just stupid, right? So why do you insist on saying that a 40 powered attack is the root of the metagame and keeps it in check by beating out sleep?

Why not put ur words to action. I have so many ways to avoid sleeping and to deal with slping and I don't put them here cause i don't want newbs to see my strategies.
Or, maybe, you're just not being very convincing, right? And notice how my lineup in the URPG has no sleep pokes, remember? If you'd let me use any pokemon I wish, I could.

You should battle me so I can show you what to do. I tell you that for one thing, people would be using recover as one of their sleeptalk moves and then the battle will go in favor of that mon so easily.
Isn't that the point of strategy? In GSC battles were long stallwars for that reason only, because people figured out how to take advantage of Rest. Are you changing how the move works because you don't like the metagame? If so, why are you making Sleep talk so bloody useless?

Now you can post your story long response.
Glad to oblige.
If you want me to put my skills to test, I'd gladly Netbattle you. Or URPG, but I don't have the required pokemon, so you'd have to let me use any poke I want. Also, You're dead wrong about Detect/Protect, a fact that you have yet to recognize.

I have no respect for people who don't recognize their errors and avoid the issue instead.

I also have no respect for people who don't use logic and actual examples in a logical debate, whether they're hiding behind a "OMFG I DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW MY STRATS" cover or not. Bush easily did it to Saddam. "OMFG YOU HAVE WOMD BUT I CANT PROVE IT CUZ ITS HIDDEN SO I WIN". I don't want that in the URPG, and I'm sure you don't either.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Magare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia
Also, You're dead wrong about Detect/Protect
Dont get me wrong. But you are a new ref. And if EVERY other ref says that Detect/Protect works, dont you think that you might be wrong?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:23 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

That depends, Magare. The thing I refer to is how it works in the games, if the URPG does not follow the rules of the game and wants to make Toxic the single coolest move ever, then I'd be wrong. But if the URPG's intention was to make the 2 moves work as they would in the actual game, then you guys are wrong. Take a pick.

also, after a long and pointless discussion with Curtis on AIM, of which the only thing we settled was that I'm wrong because he doesn't want to listen. (And I'm bad at battling, and that Raticate is supposedly a way to beat an URPG snorlax, but that turned out false. O_o)

I came up with something else regarding sleep talk

Alternative Proposal

Reasoning: Sleep talk is useless right now, but apparently you guys don't want to change it to how it would work in game. Curtis says that the URPG is not supposed to work like in game. Similar, but different. In other words, maybe Toxic is supposed to be the killer in this case, but I don't know. So, I'll propose this somewhat different method of using Sleep talk, but actually making it usable.

Changes to Sleep talk:
When sleep talk is FIRST used, the user can name up to 4 (3, 4, 5, whatever, I like 4) moves that his/her pokemon knows but does NOT wish sleep talk to talk. These 4 moves will carry on for the rest of the battle.

Logically: By allowing users some flexibility to use sleep talk, we eliminate times where Gyarados would lose to a... uh... meowth because sleep talk would only talk Splash, and meowth's Hypnosis lasts 7 turns, or stuff like that. This way, users become more involved in the strategy, because even though each pokemon still have like a gazillion different moves to use, at least the users are now able to cross out a few moves that no sane person would use either way, such as Tackle, Scratch, or Splash.

What do you think about doing it this way?

Although I prefer the first way, I'm offering alternatives. Not to be critical or anything, but head refs are supposed to make the URPG better, not shutting down suggestions because they don't have a way to counter the logic behind it and they want to save their own behinds when sleep becomes "weaker", however that logic goes.

Edit:
Just a note:

Curtis mentioned this:
Curtis thinks that newbies like me joining the URPG is ruining all the fun it used to be.

But look at the poll. Democracy in motion right there, more ppl would prefer that sleep talk be changed to make it usable than keeping it the same. Don't be conservative, be progressive!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:39 PM
koolcurtis Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to koolcurtis Send a message via Yahoo to koolcurtis

this is not a democracy. if it was then everyone would be moderator and there would be these polls up everywhere. Plus there have been cases overturned before. You haven't been here long enough to know that so . I bet u'll make another long post after this cause u always have the last word, but ur not always right. If after all the time ur typing, u would see that this is the urpg, not netbattles. They aren't the same and u should have noticed that already, but u haven't.

The move says that you choose one of the mons move at random, so that is what should happen.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:46 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Well first of all, you're avoiding the issue again. I'll bet you haven't even read any of my posts entirely and just posts because you want to be right. And you're not. Too bad.

Secondly, where does the move say that? IN GAME MAYBE? OMG WHAT IS THIS YOU ARE TRYING TO USE THE GAME AGAINST YOURSELF? Come on, if you're gonna use the game as your source and logic you're gonna be contridicting yourself pretty badly, since the first amendment would have been to make it like the game.

Also, don't be stupid. Why did you make this poll if this isn't a democracy? For fun? For the hell of it? To prove me wrong? If you were trying to prove that most URPG ppl agree with you, you lose.

And also, in case you don't know how courts work, appeals do sometimes change the original ruling :o that's why appeals are there. This is an appeal. If this gets overturned, more appeals will be made until you actually make some sense as to why the hell you're not even bothering to come up with good reasons to support your point.

And your argument is most pathetic in the way you keep referring to my long posts. Every point in my post is there for a reason. They add up. Long posts may not mean anything, but the reasoning is there.

Also, if the URPG is not netbattle, the URPG is not the game.

don't give me **** about how the game says this, the game says that.

And from tomorrow on, Razor leaf will have 100 power with a 100% CH rate, right? Because this isn't the game, this is the URPG, do whatever the hell you want.

Last edited by Jack of Clovers; 06-21-2004 at 01:29 AM. Reason: edited for language
Old 06-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

I've read your talk with curtis. First, what I cant understand is the fact that you changed your move on the first turn and didnt let curtis to do the same on the second because "its wrong"? Umm, ok. Now, if I read right, even with curtis making 2 mistakes in the battle (which he did because you were typing too fast, it was hard to keep up with the battle just by reading it) your Snorlax was left at 2.5/10(or even less, I dont remember anymore). So the next fighting move used on him would probably KO him. And thats with you sending your move after Curtis every turn. Yeah, thats one Snorlax we cant allow to have un the URPG . You also said something about curtis not using his best mon against you. Tell me, in that almighty battling record of yours, how many battles did you have against fully evolved well TMed mons? Please...

Now on the topic. I'd like to hear someone other than you say their opinion on why Sleep Talk should or should not be changed. Because from the people I talked to, most "older" members seem to like Sleep Talk the way it is.

And the last part, I get info's on attacks from this page: http://www.upnetwork.net/pvg/games/rs/attacks.shtml

And before you start flaming how that page probably has the wrong info, I checked the moves on 3 more pages and they all say the same thing about protect and detect:

Will avoid the enemy’s next attack. Chances of failure rise if used consecutively.

And thats all they say. No more, no less. Notice the word consecutively? There is no: Protect works for Detect etc...
Old 06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

So you read my chat with curtis. good. you read this part?

Quote:
Titanic Panda: I have a snorlax
Titanic Panda: in theory
Titanic Panda: now theorize beating it
kooolcurtis: i'll use raticate
Titanic Panda: ok, then?
kooolcurtis: toxic
Titanic Panda: Curse
Titanic Panda: or Yawn, your pick
Titanic Panda: Yawn would help me in the long run
Titanic Panda: but Curse can be beneficial now
kooolcurtis: so what will u choose?
Titanic Panda: and if you were playing RS, you wouldn't even be able to Toxic snorlax
Titanic Panda: let's try Yawn then
Titanic Panda: Snorlax might have trouble with an actual fighting type, but outside of that, he really doesn't have much of a weakness
kooolcurtis: let's start over, i wasn't looking at my moves to choose from
Titanic Panda: O_o
Titanic Panda: what happened to toxic?
Titanic Panda: but ok
kooolcurtis: substitute
Titanic Panda: ok, Let's Sub too
Where did I change my first move?

Next point of order: Seniority means nothing. 4-9 votes in favor of Change, and you bring up seniority? What if 9 votes voted in favor of keeping it the same? Is this everyone's URPG or the URPG for the 4 people in question? I don't care how many TM'd pokes I've beaten with Lax (I'm estimating 6-7), but if I can compile a 70-20 record with a team of Electrode, Exeggutor, Lapras, Tauros, Pinsir and Pidgeot, I'm going to say I'm damn decent at battling. At least, on Netbattle, you know, the one that goes straight to the game?

Now, Magare, regarding Detect/Protect.

The site is right, Protect and Detect will fail when used consecutively, but that's not the whole story, that's the description in Game.

for example
Quote:
Wrap
Normal
For 2-5 turns, it wraps the enemy with its long vines or body and damages. Prevents opponent from switching until it ends.
This is what it says for Wrap on that page. Now everyone knows Wrap deals damage at the end of the turn, right? Obviously the game never mentions that, but it does, and you know it, I know it, everyone knows it. So the site is misleading because not the entire story is given to you.

Quote:
Taunt
Dark
Angers the enemy. Makes them unable to do anything but damaging attacks.
Same thing here. Taunt only works for 2 turns, and then the effect is over, but the site, since it copies exactly what the game tells you, doesn't mention that.

Basically, you'd have to read between the lines. You could always go check on Metalloids, which is the site I've given, but then you'd just say I was showing you a fake site, like I would have done yours (hey, I didn't ;)), so I'd just tell you to try it out yourself. Get a pokemon with both protect/detect, and keep doing it in battle, while the second turn might not produce a fail (50% chance to fail after successful first use), if you keep doing it the chance would fall rather low, and you'd hit a "But it failed" message.

So yeah, try that out instead, since obviously you're not going to believe me when I show you metalloids, and stuff.

And on a side note, Magare, read the first page. People did post that they would like to see it changed...

Edit:
Ok, about the point you mentioned:
I said curtis didn't use his best mon and stuff.

Fact: Curtis was trying to prove that he can beat any snorlax with a raticate.
Fact: He lost.
Fact: He should have used something that could beat snorlax if he wanted to prove the point.
Fact: Curtis's reply when I questioned was "Because I thought you were stupid, and you are", or something to that effect. Read that part of the log please.

So next time, if you try to prove the point, please please prove it instead of making a fool out of yourself and then whining about how you lost because YOU didn't want to ref the battle so I had to post the stats just so that I know what the hell's going on.

And also, I think Curtis is a little afraid that if Sleep talk changed, his record might fall to 150-150 :o

Last edited by mlugia; 06-20-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

I cant believe this. Please, read your last 5 replys. You wrote the exact same thing in all of them. You keep ignoring what curtis or I tell you and just write the same thing again.

Looks like a changed move to me. BTW, I had to reread this 3 times before I realised you really did change your move. I thought you were still with yawn just like curtis thought.

Besides us, only 3 people replied to this thread. 2 of them were for sleep talk to change, one was against it. A total of 13 people voted.

URPG HAS OVER 100 members

The last big case we had (I dont really remember what it was anymore) about 40-50 people voted. If people dont vote, it means they dont care. If people dont care, there is no need to change anything because there is no problem.

And one final thing. I dont know if you realise this, but changing sleep talk to the way you want it to be helps only the best trainers. It cancels out the small chance new trainers have of setting the better trainers mon to sleep and beating them while the mon is asleep. You dont like Curtis and he doesnt like you. We all know that and we all realise that. However Curtis is one of the top 4 battlers in the URPG. You dont stand a chance against him. Period. If sleep talk changes to what you want it to be you'll have even less chance of beating him.

About your netbattle record, for the last time, WE DONT CARE!!!!!!!. This is not netbattle and what you can or cant do there doesnt concern us. You got a thread somewhere on the forum where you can discuss that. This is the URPG! It only matters what you can do here!

And one last thing because I dont intend to argue with you anymore. Once again, there are something like 10 active refs in the URPG at this moment. All of them say Protect/Detect combo works. Think about it. Isnt there a chance you might be wrong? Now go ahead and write again how all the other refs should read between the lines...
Old 06-20-2004, 05:27 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magare
I cant believe this. Please, read your last 5 replys. You wrote the exact same thing in all of them. You keep ignoring what curtis or I tell you and just write the same thing again.

Looks like a changed move to me. BTW, I had to reread this 3 times before I realised you really did change your move. I thought you were still with yawn just like curtis thought.

Obviously reading "kooolcurtis: let's start over, i wasn't looking at my moves to choose from" was a little hard, so I'll teach you english. "Let's start over" means Let us start over, or basically, let us begin from the beginning. That means the battle will be reset, and any moves used before this line will be void. www.dictionary.com . Trust me, learning english will help you in the long run, even if you're sucking up.

Besides us, only 3 people replied to this thread. 2 of them were for sleep talk to change, one was against it. A total of 13 people voted.

The last big case we had (I dont really remember what it was anymore) about 40-50 people voted. If people dont vote, it means they dont care. If people dont care, there is no need to change anything because there is no problem.

But guess what? only 4 ppl are against, so that means no one cares enough to keep it the same. So let's change! make sense? Sure does!

And one final thing. I dont know if you realise this, but changing sleep talk to the way you want it to be helps only the best trainers. It cancels out the small chance new trainers have of setting the better trainers mon to sleep and beating them while the mon is asleep. You dont like Curtis and he doesnt like you. We all know that and we all realise that. However Curtis is one of the top 4 battlers in the URPG. You dont stand a chance against him. Period. If sleep talk changes to what you want it to be you'll have even less chance of beating him.

I never said I was changing Sleep talk to make me have a chance of beating Curtis. I want Sleep talk to be changed so that URPG would be similar to the game. Quote me where I said Sleep talk is supposed to help ME beat Curtis? Sleep talking Changing is called being logical. If URPG is supposed to base itself on the mechancis of the game, then you'd have to change Sleep talk, right? Also, I couldn't care less if Curtis was my mom. If something's wrong, I speak up. Which part of that is so hard to understand?

About your netbattle record, for the last time, WE DONT CARE!!!!!!!. This is not netbattle and what you can or cant do there doesnt concern us. You got a thread somewhere on the forum where you can discuss that. This is the URPG! It only matters what you can do here!
That's very nice. So you admit URPG isn't supposed to copy the game? Let's abolish HP, make Razor Leaf OHKO with 100% accuracy. Sounds reasonable to me. Just like you don't care about my Netbattle record, I couldn't give a damn if you're Flare, Figgy, Jack, Raik, or anyone who's been banned. I don't care if your record is 10000000-1 or 0-111111, I couldn't care if you're black, jewish, hitler, or all 3. I couldn't care if you wear panties, thongs, or have wild sex every night with elephants. I care about whether or not Sleep talk follows the game. If you don't want to make it follow the game, please come up with something other than "You're wrong because you're new to URPG and I'm older"

And one last thing because I dont intend to argue with you anymore. Once again, there are something like 10 active refs in the URPG at this moment. All of them say Protect/Detect combo works. Think about it. Isnt there a chance you might be wrong? Now go ahead and write again how all the other refs should read between the lines...
So if Bush, Paul Martin, Tony Blair, Chiraq all say 1+1 = 3, and only you say 1+1 = 2, you're wrong? Nope. You don't even play the games do you? Play it. Try it. That's all I am asking. Am I asking too much? I don't think so, for the sake of accuracy you'd be wise to try it. If you want to look as if you have no argument, by all means say all the refs agree with you, but Shroomish already pointed out in the Pe2k thread that she agrees with me, and considering we're the 2 refs who actually ref on a consistant basis while the rest of the active refs would be lucky to get 1 battle done a month, what does that say?

Seriously though

Stop sucking up

Try Detect/Protect/Endure (they all run on the same thing) on the game itself.

And stop making a fool of yourself because you don't want to try it.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:31 PM
DarkMasterX Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magare

Well, by what I see, Curtis is the one that changed first. After he saw Yawn he wanted to start over.

That's because this section of the URPG is not very popular and no one even checks here. If you'd like to announce this thread in the URPG: General section and have everyone vote then be my guest.

No, what I see is that Curtis NEVER wants to be wrong and he is always bent over for you to kiss his ass so you won't get in trouble.

Well guess what? Curtis is one of the top 4 URPG Battlers? WE DON'T CARE EITHER!!!!!! I find it pathetic that Curtis copies moves like Drumlax and claims them as his own and says everyone who has a Snorlax just copies him.

Hhave you even asked the opinions of the other Refs? Or are you just assuming they agree the Protect/Detect combo works? I'm pretty sure Shroomish knows the Protect/Detect combo does not work. Maybe because she actually KNOWS what she's doing. I'd like you to try the Detect/Protect combo on NetBattle or on any official game to see if it works.
So far, all I've seen is Curtis acting like a child by refusing to be wrong even though 9/13 people say to change the Sleep Talk move. Also, you are backing up Curtis with no actual reasonable response, you just want to stay on the good side of the big bad mod.

I doubt someone like you who relies on Toxic + Protect + Detect in a gym battle to win, when in reality your plan would fall through and you would not survive that battle, should try and argue against people like Mlugia who know what they are doing about how to battle.

EDIT: I also don't understand why Curtis is complaining about Mlugia's long posts. That just shows that Mana is serious about this issue. Maybe Curtis' brain hurts too much when he starts to read long words?

Last edited by DarkMasterX; 06-20-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Shroomish Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Shroomish Send a message via MSN to Shroomish Send a message via Yahoo to Shroomish

I don't really wanna get into the Sleep Talk debate. I'm kind of neutral on it.. But, I do want to point out that MLugia IS right about Toxic - Protect - Detect.
I'll admit, I used it a couple of times on my Houndoom because I didn't know. But, once I learned better, I stopped useing it.
Proof? I tested it this morning. I gave my Sceptile Protect and Detect, then battled. I Protected, Worked, I Detected, Failed. I did this a few times, actually. Sometimes both would hit but still, the point is, that combo isn't 100% accurate and refs need to realise that.

That's all from me.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

Meh, me again.

No more talking about Protect/Detect. Make a new thread and discuss it there.

X, until now I had a high opinion about you. If you really think I said everything I did just to suck up to Curtis then you completely lost all the respect I ever had for you. And about me using Protect/Detect in my gym. Almost every good trainer knows a way around it. Especially in a gym battle where you pretty much know my mons. Its used by a lot of trainers. I dont see the problem. And just for your information, I won only 2 battles with that and the number of people who won my badge is still very, VERY low. I wonder why YOU didnt challange me if I can be so easily beat ?

I'm not even going to respond to mana's flaming.

And mana. I did play games. I completed ALL of them. Even the chinese rom of fire red.

And this is really my last reply here....

Last edited by Magare; 06-20-2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:13 PM
koolcurtis Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to koolcurtis Send a message via Yahoo to koolcurtis

wow, mlugia is even worse than riak. I'd rather have him back than u. I see now that all u want to do is power up ur snorlax and make trouble here. Your gonna want to change sooooooooo much here and eventually want to make this place netbattles.

X wrote that he thinks mlugia writes sooooooo much cause hes passionate about this so much when in fact he doesn't know when to shut up. Since you read our thing X, didn't u see that he wrote 5lines in a row for every 1 line of mine. He also talks sooooo much trash that it's beyond annoying. I just have one thing to say to mlugia.

I say this for the better of the group.
PLEASE LEAVE THE URPG

We have no place for people like you here. You will take this group down many notches. If I were pokemonelite you would not talk this way to me and since I'm a moderator you should show some respect, but you do not. Even though this is a debate, you have continually gone beyond the borders and have insulted me many times over and over again and the refs and how this group works. You always talk of netbattles, so take ur ego somewhere else. You would probly change the name from urpg to nb(netbattles)rpg. I wouldn't miss you one bit. I have never hated someone as much as I HATE YOU.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:14 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Magare: I respect the fact that you have played the game. That is why I'm saying to solve the whole Detect/Protect issue, all you have to do on your side is to try it out a few times, keep using protect/detect/protect in a battle, and see if it actually lets you be protected forever, or if detect/protect can actually fail. Actually, this can also happen with Endure, so to be comprehensive, you might want to test that out too.

I know my word isn't very strong because we don't know each other, that's why I'm suggesting you try it out, because I have on my side and it does work as I have said.

And I'm too lazy to make a thread, but I'll bring it up next time I have something to say in the Comments thread.

Edit: Curtis:

- Don't worry, I don't want to have wild and sexy nights with you either.
- Secondly, remember how our conversation in IM? Where you said I suck at battling because I won?
- You've never ended up proving your side of the argument. I know that you don't want to change sleep talk because it's always been like this, but I've suggested many reasons as to why you should, because the original intention, or so I'm told, is for the URPG is to be like the actual game.
- I have NOT insulted how this group worked. I have QUESTIONED how the group worked because I was told that URPG was supposed to be extremely similar the game, which explains the effort with the damage calculations and such, but you continually refuse to listen to the game because... well, the only reason I've seen so far is that a) Sleep talk would be used more, and b) Because it'd benefit the newbies. Now I ask you: How would changing sleep talk to make it work a bad thing?

And no, I don't plan to leave the URPG. I think you should really look at yourself and your behavior before replying again.

And also, see how Protect/Detect doesnt work? You guys gotta fix that. Also make up something for Magnitude, Multi hit moves, and so forth.

Last edited by mlugia; 06-20-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:26 AM
flareon008 Offline

Send a message via AIM to flareon008 Send a message via Yahoo to flareon008
Exclamation Re: Sleep Talk TM

Sorry but I disagree. It's been fine the way it has been. I see no use in changing sleep talk when it has never caused a problem in the first place. This isn't real life. You typing out attacks, is that actually getting mor realistic? It's staying the same.

Doing everything with a flare.
Closed Thread