Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Danne112 Offline

Default Ultra RPG vs Role Play

The Ultra RPG seems to be the biggest thing on this forum, but when I checked it out it doesn't even seem to be real RPing. To me, RPing is a lot about the art of writing, one that I personally am very passionate about. Does anyone that goes on the URPG have anything to say for it?

I don't mean to be offensive but to me it seems just like the gameboy games, which we can play offline. What does everyone think of the idea of a writing-intense URPG, like a mixture of thethe Ultra RPG and the types of RPs we have here? I'm not sure if it's possible, just a random, wild suggestion though .
Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Finch Offline
Inazuma

Send a message via Skype™ to Finch
Default Re: Ultra RPG vs Role Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danne112 View Post
The Ultra RPG seems to be the biggest thing on this forum, but when I checked it out it doesn't even seem to be real RPing. To me, RPing is a lot about the art of writing, one that I personally am very passionate about. Does anyone that goes on the URPG have anything to say for it?

I don't mean to be offensive but to me it seems just like the gameboy games, which we can play offline. What does everyone think of the idea of a writing-intense URPG, like a mixture of thethe Ultra RPG and the types of RPs we have here? I'm not sure if it's possible, just a random, wild suggestion though .
The Ultra RPG used to be much more role-play based. People like The Kinslayer have brought back a little of the RP element, but it's still pretty much dead. nowadays, the URPG is more of an online battling system similar to GSBot and the like, but calculated by people instead of computers.

I personally role play and play URPG, taking both for what they are.. The suggestion you came up with died in the form of the Anime battle style a long time ago. I never got to try it, but I'd have loved to. Perhaps we could try to revive the Anime battle?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Anime-style Battling isn't here, but it's still strong on other forums. I say we create our own form of RPing, something that PE2K can call their own.

URPG is a PE2K Original.

ASB is a forum-wide.

Fizzy Bubbles is a more rping sort of thing found on BulbaGarden and SPPf, PE2K could make there own.

The only problem is that it would take a long time for Ryan to make a seperate board for it, if he ever would.

We could try to revive Anime Style Battling, I guess.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 PM
InvertrevnI Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to InvertrevnI Send a message via MSN to InvertrevnI

The only real two types of role playing are tabletop and LARP. I rest my case.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Danne112 Offline

There may be only two types of RPing, but if that's how you see it then the Ultra RPG isn't RPing in my eyes and if saying "Can I have Ralts?" or "Hoppip used Razor Leaf against Mudkip" is considered RPing then we're really in trouble...
Like I said before, the art form of Role Play is a very important one to me, without good language skills it's pretty much impossible to be really good at RPing. I don't have a problem with the URPG as a game and I don't find anything wrong with those who play it but it's not really roleplaying, it's just a video game taken into an online communial version.

I wasn't really around for the Anime Style Battle you guys are talking about but I'm all for the idea obviously, lol. I think not only would it give the people from the RP section a great place to go but it would definatly draw a lot of attention to the PE2K boards as it grows and bring active people to the RP forums as well. If we get enough people interested would it be possible to pull off?

Last edited by Danne112; 08-25-2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

FYI, Jack and Scott were discussing how to bring more RP back into URPG. Problem is to find a suitable RP which can grasp everyones attention, and integrate into the current system.

No one wants to see crappy 'I'm 10 years old and today's the day I become a Pokemon Trainer!' RPs.

I've suggested an RP idea, though Jack and the other officials have yet to approve everything.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Danne112 Offline

That's a great idea and it would really help bring mass enthusiasm towards bringing it back. Once we have a strong group people posting in RP-style on the URPG others will probably follow which will make it a lot easier. The one main thing we'd have to worry about then would be teaching everyone to role play. As comprehensive as the guides in this forum are some kids just never learn.

What if we have an RP school thread where a small roleplay is going on (just for them to have something to write about) and newbies post while experienced RPers give them feedback. I've seen something very similar to it already but it hasn't been very popular. If there was one made and we get some people to staff it we could link it to the beginning of some RPs and see what happens.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Lotad

Quote:
That's a great idea and it would really help bring mass enthusiasm towards bringing it back. Once we have a strong group people posting in RP-style on the URPG others will probably follow which will make it a lot easier. The one main thing we'd have to worry about then would be teaching everyone to role play. As comprehensive as the guides in this forum are some kids just never learn.

What if we have an RP school thread where a small roleplay is going on (just for them to have something to write about) and newbies post while experienced RPers give them feedback. I've seen something very similar to it already but it hasn't been very popular. If there was one made and we get some people to staff it we could link it to the beginning of some RPs and see what happens.
That was... I think, bronislav's idea, but I think it crashed with the war, along with the amount of people who didn't care about doing that. I seriously think that the RP Acadamy should be brought back in, but someone who is excellent at RPing should do it. Also, the person who starts it should have some sort of activity on the forum as well as have people who are trustworthy enough to stay with it.

This should bring back some better RolePlaying. The deal with bringing back RPing to the URPG, would help alot more with the factor in learning how to RP. The URPG could also be an area for those who are learning how to RP to test out what they know as well as regular RPing.

{URPG} | {Sparkz // Mastered @ 8,693} | {Anime}
-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.
This doesn't mean I drop out of everything I'm doing though... =/
Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Danne112 Offline

I'm definatly not the best RPer out there but I'd love to help with an RP Academy of some sort if there's room for me. There could be two divisions even, one for beginners and the other for more experienced players (since I don't think some people would want to be around newbies if they're more serious RPers and they both need different things).

I know that I'm new here so this might not be my place, but I'm willing to take action in anything that will help new RPers on this board. It doesn't happen much on these forums as much as it did on the old ones I used to go on but I don't like it how newbies get shoved aside and are excluded rather than educated.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

The Acadamy bron made was active, until the WAR started; then everything for the Acadamy went down hill, inluding him being inactive along most of the members and teachers, making it a ghost town.It would be nice to see happen, but there would have to be active members controlling it, like Neo, DU, and a few of the other RPers that RPed during the WAR. Also, anyone that signs up would have to obviously stay active as well.

I haven't done an actual RP myself, unless you consider that one Lyoko RP I did on this one forum before it fell, as CL went off air. And that RP wasn't even done in paragraphs, but we actually had to depict what was happening in our heads, and we had to hope that each person was active. If I can find it in the archives, I'll put up a link so those of you who may want to know what it was like... (Edit: It was all deleted...

The Acadamy seems to be the only way to go, but we would have to convince people that are excellent at RPing to become the teachers, and have anyone who wants to perfect RPing join. But both sides would have to be active so that the teaching can happen. Also, a post point system would have to be laid out, so you know how well you are RPing, and there would have to be multiple classes, so those that suck at RPing don't actually get mixed up with those that actually can RP.

-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.

Last edited by Lotad; 08-25-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Danne112 Offline

Thanks for the info, the idea about the point system would do really well too I think since numbers are always more definate than words. I understand that any trace of the old Academy has been deleted, but could you possibly point me in the direction of anyone that was a part of it? I don't know how persuasive anything will be coming from a newcomer like me will be to them but I'll take it upon myself to at least try and get something together. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Thanks for the info, the idea about the point system would do really well too I think since numbers are always more definate than words. I understand that any trace of the old Academy has been deleted, but could you possibly point me in the direction of anyone that was a part of it? I don't know how persuasive anything will be coming from a newcomer like me will be to them but I'll take it upon myself to at least try and get something together. Thanks.
Well, here is what the last RP Acadamy was like: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/foru...ad.php?t=15795 I wouldn't call it completely organized, but it was as organized as a first time was. I think a list of the students would be helpful as well, to see where each student stands.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Danne112 Offline

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful and I'm starting to get optimistic about this. Even if we can't bring back a little bit of Role Playing to the Ultra RPG it's more important that those who want to learn have a place to and can improve. I'm very hopeful about this idea, hopefully the Teachers of the Learning Facility will be as well...
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

You're right that URPG is a video-game in online-form. I suppose the role play aspect may have been important at some stage, but that really is a long time ago. It may change now, with veterans wanting to RP again and with DU's new idea, but I guess people nowadays like it more for the game aspect anyway. Bron's learning facility started out pretty well, but it's totally dead now I think, which is a shame since it was just about the only thing we had here were you could learn anything about RP'ing. It would be good if it got active again, though I'm not sure if there's enough interest.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Danne112 Offline

I've gotten some replys back about restarting it, not too many though but I'm still looking to do it so I guess I'll just have to give it a little more time. Hopefully we can get something in the works though, the RP skills of people on these forums are actually very good especially compared to other RP boards Ive seen but I still think it would help out a lot.