Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Entertainment

Entertainment For non-Pokemon related discussion, talk about other TV shows, movies, music, books, sports and more!

Old 04-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002
Default Re: Anime/Manga Review

Anime: Shuffle
Watched: all 24 Episodes
ESRP rating: R-15 (yes people, it's rated R for the shower scenes, and more than just "fan service")
Genre: Harem/Comedy --> Romance Drama

Hey look, they even have one of those discretionary statements at the beginning of the episodes :D

H-game --> anime series. Part of the wave of anime series derived from H-games, Shuffle is one that came from Navel (they're doing Soul Link right now, actually).

Graphics

The graphics of Shuffle is really good, and most of the time, it's got a really good graphics. There are times when the series looked terrible, though. Still, there is very good production value. The marks on this is...well above average.

8/10

Plot

lol H-game = harem.

In a world where the route to Heaven and the Demon worlds are open, peace managed to settle upon itself.

Rin and Kaede live in a house in the suburbs. All of a sudden, 8 neighbours moved away. What's going on?

They learn that two new classmates are going to be transferred to their class: the daughters of God, and the Demon King! And all of the sudden, those two daughters (Shia, God's daughter, and Nerine, the Demon King's daughter) proclaim that they will MARRY Rin! What's going on?

The plot itself works very well, and gets VERY GOOD afterwards, and deserves its 10 rating.

10/10

Characters

The fact that all 6 main characters are well developed to a point much greater than that of many series, it's almost ridiculous. The dynamics of each character brings life into the series, and the fact that generally the episodes deal with just 1 of the girls at a time, you get a much better development than having all of them show up every time.

Each girl has her own story, and the stories generally work very well in the storyline, and the changes the stories apply onto the overall plot is exciting. The question of why all of the girls have such dark stories...well it just had to be like that (well some aren't as dark as others, I guess. The second last story.

Minor characters aren't usually very good, but I don't care.

10/10

Originality

Not original for the most part. It's funny how the three worlds can collide without friction. Also, the fact that everything's been mixed together into a different feel than most series, it still gets a 7 for taking cliche crap and putting it all together well.

7/10

Enjoyment

The opening Ep title tells you the mood of that particular episode (arrows are in the lighter eps, anything else, it's heavy). This is also the same with the mid-ep sequence (the kitties for the light eps, and the girls on the heavy eps).

By the end of the series, I was at the OMFGWTFBBQAGHAWEIDSFBADWAERIO stage. This is how gripping it got. There is usually a switch about between the lighter and heavier episodes, which is a good thing (since it would get wayyyy too crazy if they keep going with that...). In my books, it was comparable to the FMA series' super gripping style.

The fan service/more than just fan service PALES IN COMPARISON to the plot.

11/10

Overall
46/50 or 9.2

It's a rollercoaster ride that I liked for sure. If it takes an H-game to derive a series like this, WE NEED MORE H-GAMES. This is also making me WANT to see what more Navel can offer after this. *looks*

I'm actually writing this while watching the last episode. Just saying, the gripping feel of this series is so ridiculous, that I went on a Shuffle Binge, and this year, the only other binge was from FMA. Wow.

- Kenny C., The Asa fan.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Shakugan no Shana
Watched: all of it
ESRP rating: teen
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/not horror

For your information, Shana is currently Japan's #1 loli. -.-

Graphics

Loli! I mean, of course, aside from the extremely cute characters to the extremely supermodel women and maids, the graphics aren't anything to scream about. Japan's #1 loli, so might as well pass it a decent mark at least.

8/10

Plot

Based off the NOVEL series under the same name, the concept is that there a demons that steal "existance" from people, destroying them in the process. When the existance of a person is gone, all memories, data, etc. of that person disappear too, and therefore, remain forgotten.

The counter to those demons are the Flame Haze, sworn to destroy those demons. They even have a fallback mechanism, called "torches". By using existance from people, they can create temporary copies of the person with their existance taken, and essentially "soften the blow" if they happen to be too late.

Sekai Yuichi, one day, saw a demon drinking existance from people, and thus he is thrust into the world of the Flame Haze, where he meets with "Flame-haired Red Eyes Hunter", a Flame Haze. He then realized thathe also was a torch...

The plot is well doneon the concept part, but failed in the execution. I give it an 8.

8/10

Characters

Not bad, but the characters seem a little bland at times. I don't particularly like how they handled a number of the characters, and I don't really think the loli look and personality on the characters fit with the original theme very much, still.

7/10

Originality

Yes, the existance concept is new, and completely original, and therefore gets 10.

10/10

Enjoyment

No doubt I enjoyed the series. However, it can be more, and really the 1st ep was very well done, with only really the near end being well done also. So take your pick. I stuck with it, and it was still pretty good nonetheless.

8/10

Overall
44/50 or 8.8

It's definitely not bad as a series. The plus on originality pulledits marks up, and alsothe defining beginning and near-ending placed an otherwise so-so series above the others. and the #1 loli in Japan thing had a beneficial effect somewhere. ;)

- Kenny C., Shana-tan? o_O
Old 05-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Aria the Animation and Aria the Natural
Watched: all 13 of the first, I'm pretty much up to date for the aria the natural
ESRP rating: Everyone
Genre: Slice of Life

I'm too lazy to do a full review, but since it's good, I might as well at least mention it. It's one of those "slice of life" anime, with a bunch of pretty anime girls and stuff. Generally speaking, it's essentially just a relaxation series where plot really doesn't exist all that much. The system on Aria's setting, the city Neo Venezia on the planet Aqua (and Earth is referred to as "Man-Home"), is actually relatively elaborate, but it makes a good setting for the series.

So anyway, it's about Akari wanting to be the best Undine (Female rowboater who's also a tour guide, the setting looks suspiciously like a place on earth, if you know what I mean ;)) in Aqua (okay, I DID say it has no plot, but this IS the pathetic attempt at plot that chains the filler episodes together), and she meets many friends and the like. So why the name Aria? Well, she works in Aria COMPANY. :P

Anyway, great series. It's relaxing and very cute. I watch this series to lax out, as there's not major heavy plot (like FMA), no pathetic attempts at heavy plots (like most anime), no comedy (almost, but it's no School Rumble), just "slice of life".

8/10
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

Anime: Makai Senki Disgaea
Watched: 10/12?
ESRP rating: Erm... teen I guess
Genre: Comedy/Fantasy/Adventurer thing

Well I' was so damn happy when I heard that Disgaea was going to have an Animé... then I watched it...

Graphics

Well the unique Disgaea look is still there, and damn good seriously... though of course there's the point of...

"Boing-y chests"

1st episode, there's the boing factor already from Jennifer... well kinda unecessary to zoom in I think, but well it does somewhat fit in the storyline. There are a few instances where the artists seem like lazy to do full details on the characters, and I caught this error they made where at one point Etna was not wearing any gloves... but meh... overall still damn good.

9/10

Plot

Based from the game... well the game's plot:

Laharl, a demon, woke up after 2 years of slumber. He then finds out that his dad; the netherworld overlord, died 2 years ago; and through such a pathetic way too: choked on a dark steamed bun. So together with Etna; his "loyal" vassal, whose also a demon, Etna's Prinnies; humans taken in the form of penguin like creatures in order to make up for their sins, and Flonne; a so called angel that was supposed to assassinate Laharl's dad, Laharl then claims to be the rightful heir to be the next overlord, and takes on any challengers. One of these challengers who persitently bug Laharl is Vyers; or as his new name declared by Laharl; "Mid-Boss". Mid-boss in reality has some relation to Laharl...

Along the way, they meet up with Gordon; Human, Jennifer; also Human... busty one in fact, and Thursday; a robot made by Jennifer. They are Defenders of the Earth Alliance. They then go to the netherworld seek out any evil demons that threaten the Earth. Unknowingly, Jennifer's "dad" Carter (he just adopted her), who is the leader of the Defenders of the Earth Alliance; was secretly planning to take over the Netherworld "in order to save humanity; more space for humanity since Earth is overpopulated". Gordon and his pals team up with Laharl with this plot; Gordon and Jeniffer realized that demons have their own lives like humans as well, etc etc. Along the way Gordon meets up with his rival Kurtis; a loyal soldier of Carter. The 2 have their fight, blah blah, in the end Kurtis save Jeniffer from total mind control, and he "dies". Gordon swears revenge, etc, and they take on Carter. Surprisingly though angels have come to help Carter. They defeat the angels, and Carter makes his escape back to Earth. Laharl then plans on going to Heaven to figure out what's really going on.

Laharl goes to heaven finds out; with the help of his comrades, including Kurtis; who is now a Prinny, beats up the Vulcanus; an angel that looks like a demon, and in the end faces Seraph Lamington; a highly respected angel. Flonne then sacrifices herself to prevent Laharl from killing Seraph Lamington, and Laharl then regrets on what he's done, and is in despair. Lamington then shows that Flonne is reborn, but as a Fallen Angel now. So blah blah, "happily ever after".

THAT'S the NORMAL plot of the game... now for the differences of the show: (SPOILERS)

1) Etna accidentally wakes up Laharl; she was actually trying to kill her in the game. In the show, Flonne tries to kill the person inside the casket; which was actually Laharl, then Laharl wakes up.

2) Hogmeisser; oober rich demon, became a vassal of Laharl in the game. In the show, he was banished, but not killed.

3) Maderas was not GAY in the game.

4) Sardia; the Demon Slayer <actually a Rune Knight>, had no real impact in the game. In the show she did.

5) Gordon & friends only showed up somewhat in the middle of the game... in the show, they already showed up at episode one

6) At the game, Laharl stays at his castle, and there are portals to travel around. In the show, he starts of at some distant cemetary, then goes on an adventure to go to his castle.

that's enough for now

few flaws in the show:
- Sardia becomes Laharl's servant, swears revenge, and is asked by Laharl to lead the way to the person that offered the reward for his head... but Sardia does not make any other appearance on the other episodes... I think <there was a Rune Knight, but no name was mentioned, hair and style of talking was different>
- In episodes 1 and 2, there were captions similar in the game when a character makes an attack; that yellow rectangle thing that comes out from the top. Episodes 3-10, I haven't seen any at all.
- Showing the promo trailer; where there's a fight with Mid-boss and Laharl with all that hype as well... Well... there's NONE... Laharl doesn't even have a real fight with anyone... only 1 swing of his sword or demon magic, boom...
- The BOINGNESS wasn't really necessary... seriously...
- Several character cameos of regular characters in the show; such as warriors, samurai, etc... but no real impact

So... plot was seriously rushed; seeing that it only has 12 episodes... and it's nothing serious... the only seriousness starts at episode 9... but still majority of the show still had funny moments in... and see flaws. I see there are a few twists and they're nice but still a bit disappointed really

7/10

Characters

Laharl - Cruel, mean, power hungry; shows honor RARELY, a user
Etna - Sly, decietful, "sultry"
Flonne - Love-maniac, nuff' said
Gordon - Dedicated, full of zeal
Jennifer - Can't really say... erm... caring I guess.

typical, yet funny

8/10

Originality

Alas, just a remake of the game. A few edits, but that's about it.

6/10

Enjoyment

Well I laugh at times, yet I can't shake of those flaws and such... But I am disappointed that there is no DAMN GOOD CG fight between Laharl and Mid-boss... in fact... ANYONE...

7.5/10

Overall
36.5/50

Not bad, though sadly, not that good. I like the funny parts, yeah... and Laharl, Etna and Flonne's characters are seriously good. though DAMN, NO CG FIGHTS T_T

- Jet "Krichevskoy" Williams

Last edited by Jet; 06-18-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
theEND Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to theEND Send a message via MSN to theEND

Anime: D.N. Angel
Watched: All 26 episodes
ESRP Rating: Not really something you can call a teen's show, but then again it does show figure's that appeal above the charts. Everyone
Genre: Romantic Comedy

One of my favorites and I do believe others too.

Quality of the drawings
D.N. Angel was pretty much made in the 2000-2002s. That time had good graphics, but D.N. Angel's excelled above average in that time....at least by a bit.

8/10

Plot

Daisuke Niwa, a 14 year old student in 8th grade had a hard time once when he was thinking of the girl he likes. After that, he changed into some guy with long purple hair. It turns out that Niwa males at age 14 can turn into the master phantom thief, Dark Mousy. It happens to all of the Niwa bloodline males and they all seem to look the same.
Daisuke then has a respondsibility of transforming into Dark so he can steal cursed works of art.

Something you won't see everyday. But the anime is very satisfying.

9/10

Characters

The characters are pretty much perfected. Although there may be only a few going from 5-12, their personalities fit perfectly as what categories they belong it. Ranging from everyday friends to teachers. All the characters are used alot.

10/10

Originality

D.N. Angel is a very romantic comedy. You will see scenes of girls liking guys, guys liking girls, and all in between.

9/10

Enjoyment

I definitely loved this anime. It was something new for once. There were hardly any fillers and they stayed mostly to the main idea.

10/10

Overall
47/50

A perfect anime for those who like the idea of innovation. Even though it was good, there was only 26 episodes. Watching 1 would make you want to watch more. The anime also used a handful of ideas, but the most common ones for episodes were left out. If only they made more episodes with other themes in each ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: Fate/Stay Night
Watched: 24 eps
Genre: Action/Drama

in a world not so distant from North America, comes an epic series serived from an H-game. Type Moon proudly presents: Fate/Stay Night. (Does that mean Fate/Hallow Ataraxia is gonna come out?)

Graphics

Nothing much to see. It's the same darn thing. Only difference is that the character designs themselves are nicely done (esp. Saber herself). They kinda needed the character designs to be good, since Type Moon has been revered for that, and PLOT in a game (more on the plot later).

8/10

Plot

The holy grail war. A war between 7 magicians to determine who can have the prize, the wish granting holy grail. Their weapons, anything they wish, and an additional boon to this is the ability to use servants, fighting spirits who are necessary for gaining the holy grail (i.e. only 1 team of master and servant can remain standing).

Simple plot, in a way. Our plot also involves Shiro - a man who didn't even know he was a magician - getting trapped in this war and trying to find a way out.

Type Moon may be known for plot, and the game might actually have plot (I mean, multiple paths and endings are present in the game), but the problem is that there really isn't any major plot in this series. Sure it's like you go into battle here and battle there, etc. It still lacks the essence of plot found in the more superior Type Moon series, Shingetsutan Tsukihime (2003).

6/10

Characters

Shiro is an idiot. And I still have no idea how he, dispite being an idiot, is an incompotent master, and thinks he's a defender of justice (and also superman), can exhibit absolutely no change in personality from start to end in the series.

The rest of the characters seem less bland and stupid, but either way they weren't exactly dynamic either (with the exception of Saber).

5/10

Originality

Holy grail war huh. Ah whatever. The plot's pretty stupid, and really the twist at the end of the series is the only thing going for it.

8/10

Enjoyment

The only thing that kept this series alive is Saber. Heck the only thing I cared about when watching the series is Saber. So all in all, the enjoyment factor here is entirely riding on the shoulder of Saber.

8/10

Overall
35/50 or 7.0

They left the reasoning for Fate/Hallow Ataraxia in tact, so we might be getting that in the future. However, one must note that this series is NOT what it's hyped up to be. It is NO Tsukihime, and Type Moon needs a less annoying voice actor for Shiro (or just better script wiritng for Shiro. Or both). I guess it's okay to be bland when you're playing as Shiro, but when you're observing him, a bland character like that really hurts the series.

- Kenny C.

Last edited by Kenny_C.002; 06-18-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

Anime: Kyou Kara Maou!
Watched: I dunno, 15+ I guess, out of 70+...
Genre: Adevnture/Comedy/Fantasy/Shoujo

From Animenewsnetwork:
Yuri Shibuya was living a pretty normal life. That changed the day he was dunked into a toilet after an attempt to save a classmate from a gang of bullies. Instead of just getting a good soaking, he's pulled in. The next thing he knows, he's in a world that vaguely resembles medieval Europe. If that's not odd enough, he's told that he is to be the next Maoh, just because he has black hair and black eyes. The Maoh is the King of the Mazoku, who are coexisting not-so-peacefully with the humans in this world. Much to his subject's dismay, he's totally different from the rulers they're accustomed to. He's kind, considerate, a believer in justice, and not willing to use violence to solve conflicts. Not exactly someone they want running a country on the very brink of war. Now, Yuri has to deal with trying to become a good Maoh, while at the same time attempting to adapt to this land's customs and culture, all in a world where the tension between the humans and Mazoku is reaching its peak.

Notes: Several yaoi-ish moments, but it's shown in TV, no real indecent exposure; unless you consider a mom holding her son's g-string indecent.

Graphics

Nice, decent compared to other shoujo shows... well yeah, thing is 90% of the show's men are "hot"... animation is sleek too, the magical blast thingies are looking good too.

8.5/10

Plot

A guy gets sucked in a toilet... then becomes demon king... then at times gets sucked back to the human world... and gets sucked back in through water. As time passes by he eventually accepts the fact that he is Demon king, and eventually develops powers, etc. He then tries to be a good king, and at the same time try to be diplomatic about the human-demon war.

Well, it's different yeah... not thatoriginal (innocent guy trying not to fight), but it's still good. Thing is, yeah... several yaoi-ish moments... how?

http://x0b.xanga.com/943b5a43c463040.../b27792458.jpg

that's a GUY... nuff' said.

8/10

Characters

Yuri - main character, baseball player, innocent, that "nice guy" look... somewhat similar to Kira (G.Seed) & Keitaro (L.Hina)

Conrad - Godfather of Yuri; acts as an elder brother to Yuri; will die for him even. 1 of Yuri's personal guards...

Wolfram - That guy you see in the pic I placed... the "accidental fiancé" of Yuri... YOU HEARD ME... Yuri's fiancé... a fiery fighter and spellcaster as well.

Günter - long purple haired guy; the "most beautiful guy" there so they say. Can't stand being away from Yuri as well. A powerful magician.

Gwendal - somewhat snobbish/strict/grumpy guy. Likes knitting and cute things... hates being the guinea pig of Anissina; a gorgeous "genius" woman with crazy inventions

others include a flirty (with Yuri at times) demon ex-queen; whose sons are Conrad, Wolfram and Gwendal, a spy for the Demons that acts cynical and 3 strange maids (women) that somehow like the crazy mishaps happening within the castle.

Very unique, funny, though yeah, yaoi-ness

8/10

Originality

Human that's actually a demon king; trying to be a nice one; be diplomatic instead of being a war-freak... well it's unique as well, somewhat

7.75/10

Enjoyment

I would like to know on what the outcome will be, but I'm starting to get the feeling that Yuri is okay with Wolfram being his fiancé (at 1st he's disgusted), and... yeah... yaoi-ish

7.75/10

Overall

32.25/40

Yeah... as I said b4, there are pretty funny moments, and there are certain points in the show where it can actually be applied in real life ("what makes you think you're lucky compared to that guy? have you been in his shoes?"). I like it... trying to tolerate that yaoi-ness, but still good

- Jet
Old 07-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Lotad

Anime: CardCaptor Sakura

Watched: About half of the Season 1

Rating: Youth

Genre: Shojo/Fantasy

A little different than the Manga, but she does look cute. Also, I though Yukito was blonde... maybe, it was a miscolor... (Recently I watched Episode 1...)

Graphics: 8.3/10

Colors seem to fit what they should be... except Yukito's hair! The graphics during the fights between Sakura and the rampant cards. It does get a little chibi during some of the parts where Sakura shows some intense anger or excitement.

Plot: 7.9/10

Sakura Kinomoto finds a mysterious book in her father's library. After accidently releasing the Clow Cards, the guard of the seal, Kero-chan (that's how I know him), sneakily makes Sakura the Cardcaptor. Usually, each night, a new card reveals itself and Sakura goes through some awkward moments during the fights while her friend, Tomoyo-chan, tapes her battles. A new boy from China, Syaoran Li, becomes involved and believes Sakura is incapable of being the CardCaptor, though he does have a slight, hidden crush on her.

Character: 8.7/10

With commentary thoughts coming from Sakura, she is a fourth-grade girl that goes to Tomoeda Elementary. Her older brother, Toya, and her older brother's friend/ her crush, Yukito, go to Sejio High, next to Sakura's school. Tomoyo is Sakura's friend and has been like that since the 2nd grade... I think. As I said, Li is from China and contains the ability to use Magic Runes and can sense the Clow Cards... Kero is the guard of the seal. Fujitaka Kinomoto is Sakura and Toya's father. Their mother died when Sakura was three.

Originality: 7.9/10

Well, they do deal with traditional magic from the past, but it has an interesting twist as they delve deeper into the meaning of the Cards.

Enjoyment: 8.6/10

Extremely enjoyable, but I would only suggest it to those who are interested in girls who can use magic and who like seeing some extremely odd scenes (Ex: Yukito running in on a fight, with a bag in his hands, yelling: "I have meat buns!!!!")

Total Grade: 41.3/50 ~ 92.5 A

This is my first. I hope I can find some more Anime series to watch.

{URPG} | {Sparkz // Mastered @ 8,693} | {Anime}
-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.
This doesn't mean I drop out of everything I'm doing though... =/
Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Anime: TOKKO, Devil's Awakening
Watched: 13 eps (looks like that's the end)
ESRP rating: Mature
Genre: Action/Horror

So here we are with another review for le TOKKO. Hey didn't the manga get cancelled for being too crappy? o_O

Graphics

Hey if they actually have anthing going for it, it's probably the graphics. No, they don't have the production values of something like Shuffle, but it's still a pass nonetheless. Quite frankly I didn't really like the character designs all that much. The fog and shading effects can make it difficult to see anything in certain scenes, though.

7/10

Plot

Demons are popping out in Tokyo (without the knowledge of the masses, all cases are treated as homicide or gang warfare)! Who you're gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS! I mean TOKKI (some police department for crime scene investigation). But lo an behold, whenever they get there, the second division of TOKKI (TOKKO) always deal with the problem first already!

Our main hero Ranmaru just got into TOKKI, and is helping the TOKKI department, until they got called in for another alleged crime. But this time, they got there before TOKKO did, and they finally saw what horrors were coming.

The plot itself was pretty good, actually. Not too much to complain about, but this series is definitely more action than horror. Be forewarned that NOTHING GETS RESOLVED IN THIS SERIES by the end of episode 13.

6/10

Characters

I'm not sure if I can say that the characters are likeable or not, but then again I don't actually care enough about any of the characters to even bother feeling anything when something happens to any of the characters themselves. So as of yet, low pointage.

4/10

Originality

Sure. It's "original" alright. Okay, I guess the whole box thing was relatively original. No, not really.

7/10

Enjoyment

I don't know why I'm watching this. I guess it's because of the action. And action is good. Otherwise, I don't really care about anything. You know what, even the action got a little bland at times. It's pretty much completely based on fighting random monsters anyway.

6/10

Overall
30/50 or 6.0

Yay, TOKKO passed. Sure if you have the time and bandwidth to waste, it might be a good one to watch, or you like to see breasts under any circumstance, you can look at them or something (go watch fan serivce anime or something. Girls Bravo's got enough breasts in every episode to make you faint, :-/). The whole breasts thing added nothing to the series, since it felt so random when they did it (just like oh I'm going to show you my mark, and it just happens to be near the breasts -.-). Granted, it didn't take away from the series either, as there was nothing to take away from. The end feels rushed, and the entire buildup to the end...well that didn't do anything. Oh no, I get to see some dude doing some random fighting that lasted maybe 2 minutes at most. Great action, guys.

- Kenny C.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Ham and Cheese Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Ham and Cheese

Anime: The Big O
Watched: 1-17 out of twenty-something
ESPR Rating: It flickers between Older Children and Teens
Genre: Mecha/Psychological

It had to be done to save my poor soul.

Paradigm City’s past was wiped out forty years ago. Recently however, people born after the phenomenon have been regaining memories from the past. So how does Roger Smith, a negotiator, tie into this? He’s a somewhat undercover crime fighter with a giant robot (or a Megadeus), Big O.

Graphics:

This is where my favorite anime fails. While the series was created at around the same time as Cowboy Bebop, the English season finale came in 2003. I mean, it’s fine and all, but it gives you that gray, worn-paper kind of feel, and that’s what annoyed me. I can’t really describe it…it’s just something that irks you.

5/10

Plot

Too many people I know misinterpret the story of this anime. The thing is that people see it as just a mecha show with fan-service (meaning long-winded robot battles). This, I can easily tell you, is not the case. As I said in the Genre section, it’s not just ‘OMAHFUKINGOD IT’S MECHA ROWBAWTZ!!!!’ It taps into your subconscious, and I literally was asking myself, ‘Why am I here?’ after watching episode fourteen. At first glance, the plot is really superficial and clichéd—some negotiator owns giant robot and beats bad guys with it. That is just the icing of the cake.

Well, I feel this is getting too repetitive, so I hope you understand where I’m coming from and why.

8.5/10

Characters:

There aren’t too many characters, which is something good because it gave the ones that we had more development. The anime doesn’t go straight out and tell you the characters’ histories—instead, each little bit is revealed, one episode at a time. It goes at a pace you can keep up with, and it doesn’t leave you saying, ‘WTF?’ in the end.

The characters are also very likeable, and they don’t usually annoy you unless they slip up or say something incredibly stupid (i.e, Roger says ‘Paradigm City’ in a grand way…AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY FREAKIN’ EPISODE). The only two characters that are remotely irritating are Angel and Dorothy, and not to the extent that makes you hate them.

9/10
Originality:

This is no Gundam rip-off. It takes a few elements from Batman, okay, w00t, big deal. But other than that, I don’t think there’s another anime out there that’s like this one. And, if I can’t convince you of that, then I’ll just say that there is no one like Roger Smith out there.

10/10

Enjoyment:

My personal feelings don’t matter all too much, but this is my favorite anime. I force myself to stay up till 1:30 in the morning to watch it, and even then I love it. I honestly just wish season three would be produced already—screw the comedy section of Adult Swim!

11/10

OVERALL:

43/50

Yay, it passed! I certainly hope it deserved it, because this is a very underrated anime. I’d pick this over FMA any day.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Lotad Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Lotad

Anime: Chobits
Watched: Meh... around a third of the season.
Rating: TV-14 to MA (Meh... there is nudity and touching and terms and hinting all throughout...) *nose bleeds*
Genre: Shoujo/ Fantasy/ Romance

Summary
(Taken from KAF) In the near future, personal computers take the form attractive women, called Persocons (editorial note: "persocons" actually means PC or personal computer in Japanese). Hideki Motosuwa is a poor student who failed his entrance exams to get into college. So, Hideki is forced to move to the city, get a job, and attend cram school in hopes of passing the next college entrance exam. He of course, wants a Persocon for himself, but is way too poor to afford one. One day, while walking home, he finds a Persocon in a trash heap. However, his new find doesn't seem to be like the others he's heard about. She doesn't seem to have any operating system at all, and only says "Chii". As Hideki learns more about his Persocon (aptly named "Chii"), he finds that she is not of any known type, and most likely some sort of homemade model. He also learns of the rumor of the "Chobits", Persocons with the ability to think for themselves, instead of running only complex programs. Find out what happens between Hideki and his new Persocon, as she learns more about her environment, people, and life.

Graphics (Score: 9.3/10)
The graphics are excellent. Certain camera angles could be changed, but still the art is excellent

Plot (Score: 8.9/10)
Primarily what the summary reads.

Characters (Score: 9/10)
Hideki Motosuma: Can't not talk to himself, funny, caring, can't walk into a lingerie shop, blushes everytime he gets touched by a girls breast.
Chii: Lacks common sense, beautiful, always learns and remembers stuff, likes Hideki alot
Yumi: Likes Hideki alot, cute, smart, says things when Hideki stares at her in a certain fashion

Eh!!! I forgot the other characters... I'll go look them up.

Originality (Score: 8.4/10)
There are too many Anime that are focused in the future, though I think Persacons are awesome. Some are extremely kawaii.... ^_^

Enjoyment (Score: 9.1/10)
This is enjoyable, even for guys. If you have taken certain classes, you can laugh at more of the implied stuff that happens.

Overall

Score: 44.7/50
Rating: B
Score: 89.4 %

{URPG} | {Sparkz // Mastered @ 8,693} | {Anime}
-.- I'm taking a small minor break from Pe2K, as well as chatting on AIM... I'll probably be back May 15th, though I may not be on till the 28th for some reason.
This doesn't mean I drop out of everything I'm doing though... =/
Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 PM
RedRoninMan Offline
Elite Trainer

Well, I came here to reveiw Fate/Stay Night, but I see that kenny already beat it to a pulp :P. I can see were hes coming from though...
Anyway, since F/S/N has already been reveiwed, I reveiw my favorite manga of all time :D
Manga- Hellsing
Amount Read- 70 chapters or so.
Rating- Very, Very, Very Mature.
Genre- Heroic Bloodshed (lotsa jumping and shooting :P)

Graphics-
The man is an artist with blood. Nothing that you'll really be drooling over here but the characters, for the most part, are nicely detailed and dont look too samey to each other. Hiranos work isnt really consistant but has vastly improved since he started the comic a couple of years ago.
Score- 9/10

Plot-
The story mainly follows Alucard, an almost unfairly powerful vampire who hunts down and disposes of vampires and other living dead for the group known as Hellsing(hence the title)
I'll say this right now, vampires are always cool. Vampires locked in mortal combat with each other, even cooler. Plus, theres nazis.I luv the plot.
Score- 9/10

Characters-
This is probably my favorite part of Hellsing. The main character, Alucard(which is dracula spelled backwards :P) is egotistical, ruthless, and sadistic. Or in other words, hes awesome. Supporting characters include an insane blade weilding preist, a butler who kills people with razor wire and a female vampire who, lets just say, will have back problems later on if you catch my drift
Score- 10/10

Originality-
Well, you dont see a vampire manga everyday, theres probably a couple out there somewhere. The story borrows heavily from bram strokers Dracula and the story of Cthulu but hardly seems stripmined from either.
Score- 8/10

Enjoyment-
If you love vampires, horrible violence, busty bloodsuckers and a handfull of f-bombs, then this manga is for you! If you dont, well you should go to the doctor because you are obviously pretty messed up.
Score- 9/10

Overall Score-OMG Math! 45/50

Edit: I didnt want to double post so I added my next reveiw to this one.

Next, Ill be reviewing the OVA for Hellsing.

Anime: Hellsing Ultimate OVA.
Amount Watched: Both episode released thus far.
Rating: Super crazy Mature!
Genre: Heroic Bloodshed(same as manga)

Graphics: Freakin Amazing. Movie quality stuff.(Which I suppose justifies one 50 minute episode taking 3 months to create)The characters movements are extremely smooth and the fight scenes are unparalleled.
Score:10/10

Plot: Its exactly the same as the manga actually. Vampires. Zombies. Nazis. The whole reason this was made was because the anime previously made for Hellsing didnt do a bit of justice to its awesome manga counter-part(toned down blood, violence and sexual references) The TV anime also follwed a horrible storyline which pales in comparison to the manga(which the OVA is a direct representation of)
score:9/10

Characters:Great. Perfect representations of the manga. Its hard not to get a total man-crush on walter as he rips through zombies. The second best charcter is definetly Jan(the tanner half of the Valentine brothers). Hes such a jerk, hes hard not to love. Plus, the fact that he gives alucards master the middle finger as he burns to death is pretty funny.
Score:10/10

Originality: Again, vampire animes are pretty few and far between. It keeps it originality whilst borrowing from popular european vampire myths and stories.
Score:9/10

Enjoyment: If you love watching Kill Bill, watch this and love it. If you're a pacifist, this will make your eyes bleed out of your head :D sux 2 b u!
Score:9/10

Overall Score:47/50. An anime thats better then the manga? Is it possible?!?

My Bishies are Walter C. Dornez, Arcanine and Venusaur!

Last edited by RedRoninMan; 12-02-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:13 AM
absolgirl93 Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via MSN to absolgirl93 Send a message via Yahoo to absolgirl93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Anime: .hack//sign
Watched: Ep 26, complete series plus extra episode (27)
ESRP rating: Everyone to Teen
Genre: ??????

This review is from the POV of a viewer who's viewed this for the first time without any sort of background knowloedge of the series nor have played any of the games/seen the DVDs/nothing.
Ah, yes, but the loose ends brought on Legend of the Twilight, which finishes up the Series. I just wish they'd let the Manga have all of the same character designs/names as in the Novel. Like the purple cat thing with the werid hat? She's supposed to be a human sized cat that walks on two legs, and does not wear a hat. But yes, the Anime's a good one.

Level 100: 305
My VPP Stats My URPG Stats

Old 12-11-2006, 05:08 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Twilight had nothing to do with Sign in the way that it is related to the 4 games. Twilight finished the whole series in terms of how things went after the 4 games ended. And remember, I've not even played the 4 games, so I have no idea how Twilight would fit into the whole thing either.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy

Erm, sticky, so not reviving old threads right?

Martian Successor Nadesico
Watched: Whole thing and Prince of Darkness to boot.
ESRP Rating: No idea whatsoever. 13+?
Genre: Mecha/Harem/Comedy/Drama/WTF?!

Graphics:
Alright, it's good. The Aestivalis Units are clearly defined and realistic looking, (not to say that overblown Super Robots are bad,) and there is clear distinction between their frames, not to mention the individual robots with their custom colours and quirks. The Nadesico is a pretty cool piece of tech as well, a sleek and strong machine with the Gravity Blast of Death. Though the profile does make it look rather flat, but apart from that, I like it.
What's the deal with the girls though? Yurika looks like some mutant thing.
Oh, and the Gekiganger looks so silly! xD

8/10 in its own right.

Plot:
Hmm... Any more than the first three episodes and the harem bit would be extremely spoilerish, so there. The plot has several HUGE twists in it, which only pumps up the score like mad. Alright, Earth under attack by mysterious lifeforms, private company builds ship with a ragtag team of trained, but completely oblivious newbies. Though they prove their worth and 00ber 1337 h4x0rz skillz in combat against the Jovians.
Then we have the Aestivalis, which really need to see more action. Their fights are not particularly intense barring a few special scenes, especially that whole thing with the Gekigan Flare knife into barrier thing. Though the mech battles rarely add to the plot so much as pump the harem factor.
Hmm... Yurika > You, but they lose to Gai Daigouji.

10/10 (Biased, so what?)

Characters:
Most of them grow over time, showing more and more of themselves. The most obvious ones are Akito, the main character, and Ruri, the operator of the ship supercomputer. The only minus point is that Yurika is rarely seen developing, until near the very end of the series. Not that you actually GET any part of the story until near the very end, but Akito's development from Shinji to Kira to erm... ALMOST Kabuto Kouji, before changing into Adult Shinji in PoD is extremely fun to watch.
Oh, and one can never be able to forget the powers of amusement brought about by Hikaru and Izumi, more Izumi than either. You cannot help but laugh at how bad her puns are.

"We got 'em!"
"Got...Em? Isn't that where Batman lives?"

Ruri >>> You.

9/10 (Minus point for Yurika stalking Akito SO FRIGGIN' MUCH! Give Ryoko more screen-time damnit!)

Originality:
Starts out as a sort of "NO NOT A FIGHT!" Eva-without-angels thing, but has so many twists that if you tried to emulate them, you would break every bone in your body.

Like I sad, Shinji -> Kira -> ALMOST Kabuto Kouji -> Shinji in PoD.

Oh, and most anti-climatic death in anime history.

1 000 000 000/10

Enjoyment:
Yurika stalking Akito is essential to the plot, but a bit annoying. Everything else is incredibly fun, even some of the stalking. You might not want to come back for more, but the first time round is enough to leave a deep mark on your soul between the drama and the comedy.

9/10

1 000 000 036/10, or more realistically, 46/10. WATCH IT NOW! N-A-O NOW!