Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Kan Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kan
Default Iraqi Abuse Scandal

What do you think about the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal? Should Rumsfeld resign? Also, did anyone hear General Taguba's statements yesterday? I heard most of it, and was appalled...typical US unofficial foriegn policy. Give a couple of rural kids some M16s and a designation, and they rape the very people they're trying to liberate. I'll try to find some specific quotes from senators that really pissed me off; too lazy right now.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default Re: Iraqi Abuse Scandal

I don't think Rumsfeld should take full responsibility for the problem, unless new facts of the abuse comes up, but to me, it doesn't seem that he's the one to blame for all of it.

However, there is a problem. Rumsfeld knew about the abuse as early as December 2003, but never told the President. For over 4 months, Rumsfeld knew about this and never briefed the President about it. It looks bad, because it seems like a cover-up, whether or not that's the case, it doesn't good when you know about something and not tell the President. And President Bush made it clear that he wasn't happy about it.

The fact that he withheld information about this abuse, that's what's getting him into trouble.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Kan Offline
Experienced Trainer

I personally think that Rummy should resign, but not just because of the abuse scandal.

I smell something fishy here...even tho Taguba couldn't find anything to support a conspiracy theory. How could our soldiers get digital cameras to combat? I'm not sure if they can bring stuff like that on overseas duty, but it still seems...fishy.

What really made me mad about the whole deal was some of the senator's comments at the hearing. I can't remember which senator it was (altho they played his clip about a million times on NPR), but he was saying that we should remember that the Iraqis in prison were there for a good reason, and "had American blood on their hands". Nice try, jackass. Being a criminal doesn't warrant rape/murder/who knows what else. Besides, it's muy hypocritical, and stupid.

Also, about the decapitation thing...while I don't see it as right/justified, the government needs to stop acting like it was a shot out of the blue. Militant, violent anti-US terrorist groups+unstable country+military abuse of their people=something terrible. Simple cause and effect. The act was terrible, no doubt; but the terrorists had their reasons, however immoral they may be/seem.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:42 AM
JohtoTrainer Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to JohtoTrainer Send a message via Yahoo to JohtoTrainer

Im not saying what happened was right, because it definately wasn't. But Iraquis and people in Afghanistan have done alot worse. David Pearl Anyone? Alot worse than what happened. And there revenge for their people being humiliated is killing some one on videotape? Thats alot worse. But the people that did this are idiots and need to be court martialed and put in jail.

This suit is black not.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:45 AM
Kan Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBaseballguy4
Im not saying what happened was right, because it definately wasn't. But Iraquis and people in Afghanistan have done alot worse. David Pearl Anyone? Alot worse than what happened. And there revenge for their people being humiliated is killing some one on videotape? Thats alot worse. But the people that did this are idiots and need to be court martialed and put in jail.
You're absolutely right that they've done worse, but does that warrant our "I had Subway for lunch" defenses to protect our actions? The US isn't in control of those terrorists. We ARE in control of our troops. An eye for an eye may be fair, but it doesn't work within a democracy, and especially with the whole world breathing down our backs.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

I'd have to say that either way revenge comes in full circles. I'm not doubting at all that something very terrible will happen soon.