Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon RPG's » Pokemon Ultra RPG » General

General Hang out here and talk to people participating the Ultra RPG. Talk about anything related to the Ultra RPG, or just any casual discussion with fellow participants of the Ultra RPG. New to Ultra RPG? Come in and see what's it all about.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Magare Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Magare
Default Re: Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Sleep talk is good just the way it is. Its task is to ATTACK WHILE YOUR MON IS ASLEEP. When he usually isnt supposed to attack. If you would rather spend 3 turns doing nothing......well, please do. I dont think your opponent will mind
Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 AM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to mlugia Send a message via MSN to mlugia

Do you even realize what you're saying? There's a strong difference between being able to do something when you're incapacitated, and being able to do something PRODUCTIVE while you're incapacitated.

Sleep talk chooses an attack when you're sleeping, true enough, but THIS IS THE URPG, NOT THE GAME. In this game, if you don't attack with high power attacks for 3 turns you'd be dead! Rest itself is 2 turns + rest turn. Average sleep ranges from 1-7 turns, averaging at 4! This isn't a scenerio where you can say "OMFG SLEEP TALK USED TACKLE I WILL WIN"

This is where you realize that even SNORE is a better attack. This is where you notice Sleep talk Can and WILL give you attacks such as screech, growl, etc. when your pokemon has like 198 attack vs a 328 special attack, and is fast asleep and being beaten down to earth. This is where you realize Sleep talk can and will screw you over whether you like it or not.

Unless of course you're saying you actually do rig the battles, because if I was to roll a die between 50 attacks, assuming I teach a pokemon that, the chances of it landing on the attack that is actually usable is what, 1/25? 1/10? In the URPG, where every turn is death, you can't have that! When was the last time you saw in a proper, non-training, URPG battle that a pokemon was able to parry attacks for 4-5 turns without countering with attacks and still win?

Last edited by mlugia; 06-15-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:46 AM
koolcurtis Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to koolcurtis Send a message via Yahoo to koolcurtis

I could so easily abuse the sleep talk tm if you change it to let you choose your moves. I would actually like people to put me asleep, and i could use rest and sleep talk for the whole battle. Your not supposed to have fun when ur asleep, so it's fine the way it is.

Since there isn't much happening in the court room, I'll start a thread there to continue this. I always like to see what others say there.

Last edited by koolcurtis; 06-15-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Ierdar Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ierdar Send a message via MSN to Ierdar Send a message via Yahoo to Ierdar

Though what you're saying makes sense, I still dont like the way it works. =P Though, probably better this way(for your opponent, doesnt make you completly invicible). Rules or something should be put down for the TM if it is changed, so trainers cant abuse its power. =P
Old 06-15-2004, 11:03 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolcurtis
I could so easily abuse the sleep talk tm if you change it to let you choose your moves. I would actually like people to put me asleep, and i could use rest and sleep talk for the whole battle. Your not supposed to have fun when ur asleep, so it's fine the way it is.

Since there isn't much happening in the court room, I'll start a thread there to continue this. I always like to see what others say there.
I understand your concerns, and I'm going to list my points as follows:

-> Moves are made to be abused. Thunderbolt and Flamethrower, for example, are often used over their high powered counterparts because it's all part of strategy. Sleep talk is a strategy in itself. Remember RBY? If you put something to sleep you've just won the match? Exactly. That's EXACTLY why GSC came up with sleep talk. Sleep talk became a strategy, a metagame symbol. You pick 2 attacks, you put in rest and sleep talk, and your pokemon becomes a fearsome tank. Why is that? Because the game willed it so. Part of the strategy of battle, for example, is abusing sleep clause. If I was battling, and I saw a pokemon send out a Jynx for example, I'd immediately send out my sleep talker, take the lovely kiss, switch out, and proceed to kill Jynx. That's strategy. My sleep talker can still survive because on my team, it's the fall guy to take a sleeper hit, it's my reliable resource against sleep moves. This is not RBY anymore. This is GSC. This is RS. This is a new age, where sleep is NOT supposed to be freeze.

-> I did not say ANYWHERE that the person would be able to choose what the move can do each turn. THIS is what I'm proposing:

Proposal for change
On the very First use of sleep talk, the user of sleep talk must specify 3 (I'm not insisting on 3, but 3 is the number in GSC, so I'm using it as example. I think 5 can work too, provided said pokemon have that many moves) moves that sleep talk will operate with, and this will carry on for the ENTIRE battle to the ref, private IM or not is up to them. It's fair, right? In a 3 vs 3, for example, my sleep talking Charizard is up against a venusaur, and I say "Ok, fire blast, flamethrower, ember" and then they send in a blastoise and I go "shiz, I'm screwed". It's perfectly reasonable, and it removes the chance of having sleep talk and going "CHARIZARD USED LEER!" and then "CHARIZARD USED SCRATCH! A WINNER IS NOT YOU!"

Logic: Strategy has not been lost, as you can see from the previous example. While the user does get to choose what to use now, he is still limited by the knowledge, both of his opponent and his own pokemon's ability. Raichu cannot suddenly fire blast because Venusaur came into play, for example. And if you've never seen the opposing player's complete lineup, then you're still hindered, having to call out an array such as "Flamethrower, Earthquake, Slash" on charizard, and then groan as your sleep talk chose slash to hit the incoming Golem, correct?

Summing it up:
Changing sleep talk is abusable to an extent, but it brings that extra bit of strategy to the URPG. I no longer can win any battle just because my Jumpluff uses Sleep powder and it hits and I have synthesis to cover the snore hits. Sleeping pokemon have to plan more carefully, it's no longer "Sleep, hit, hit, hit, hit, win" because your opponent might actually be smart.

Anyways, if you have any other concerns regarding this method of change, I'll be happy to field them.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Shroomish Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Shroomish Send a message via MSN to Shroomish Send a message via Yahoo to Shroomish

*Steps into thread*

Yeah, I know you're still talking about the Sleep Talk thing but I have something else to discuss.

Things that are brought up in this thread are most likly ignored for some reason. *Glares at lazy Flare* :P

Seriously, we need Breeding Moves, people. I mean, one stratagy with Skarmory is useless unless you have them. (Spikes + Whirlwind) Heck, Skar can't even get Drill Peck. Lotad can't get Leech Seed, which is a favorite for Ludicolo. The list goes on.

Why don't we have BM's? Make them like TMs only breeding moves. It wouldn't be that hard and I volunteer to go through and hunt up all the BMs there are if you would like. (Just not until Sunday. I got alot to do until then and won't have time and it'd take forever.)
Old 06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

I agree full-heartedly with you, Shroomish, although I think BMs seem to be too much work as every pokemon learns quite a few and yeah...

An alternative would be to just allow Breeding move as part of a natural movelist.

Drawback?

Conflicts of BMs can occur. For example: Dragonite can't have Haze and light screen together because (as far as I know) there's no conceivable way to get both moves on him/her.

But yea, I agree w/ ya!

(oh yes, go read the sleep talk thread in the Trainer's Court and vote, Shroomie!)
Old 06-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Tamer San Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Tamer San Send a message via MSN to Tamer San Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer San

Thats a great idea...let us say we have a special place in the URPG (like the mart) in a stickies thread just to teach your Pokemon a BM. A BM will cost money of course ^^ so you must have a mkoney. And like we put TMs & HMs in the stats of the Pokemon we can simply add BMs..

Great idea Shroomish ^^

"Fight for freedom. Fight for glory. Fight to win!"
I am back
Old 06-17-2004, 03:47 PM
DarkMasterX Offline
Banned

Maybe we can make a Day Care Center thread where your mon and another members can be submitted to *ahem* "get it on" but the downside is that you cannot battle with that Pokemon while it's in the daycare center. After a certain amount of time then the Pokemon would learn the breeding move that it would learn from "mating" with the other Pokemon.

I don't think Poke's should learn the breeding moves naturally since that would be too easy. At least this way you can't battle with the Poke and you'd only make it learn one BM at a time.

Twas just a suggestion of mine.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Shroomish Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Shroomish Send a message via MSN to Shroomish Send a message via Yahoo to Shroomish

ML: I have no oppinion on the Sleep Talk thing, really. So, I remain neutral.

Tamer: Thanks but it wasn't my idea. XD Someone mentioned it a few pages back. (Think it was Matthew)

X: Jack says there will never be a breeding center in the URPG. =/ So, nah.

*Sigh* I Just don't know what to do. I wish there was some way to make Breeding possible and that would solve this whole thing.

I have a rough draft idea for a center. I'll post it for the hell of it. (Yes, Jack. I know it won't be used. Just like to share my ideas. :P)

URPG Breeding Center

Rules

- Both people pay $10,000 to have their Pokemon admited into the Center. BUT, if one person has two Pokemon that they wish to breed, it will only cost them $15,000 for both.

- For each week the Pokemon is in the center, an egg will be produced that is the same species as the female.

- You can only leave the Pokemon in the Center for a maximum of four weeks. (Two weeks maximum if you own both Pokemon.)

- Each egg will cost $5,000, $10,000, or $15,000 to get out of the center. (Depends on rarity. Ex: Magikarp egg would cost $5,000. Chansey egg would cost $15,000.)

- The two people that own the Pokemon which are admited can determin how to divide the eggs amongst themselves. (Keep in mind that the person who gets the egg will have to pay for it.)

- Eggs will hatch 3, 5, or 7 days from the time you recieve the. (Rarity level. Magikarp egg: 3 days to hatch. Chansey egg: 7 days to hatch.)

- For each week the mon is in the center, it will gain 1 Battle Point.

- All Brreding Moves will be taken into consideration when the egg hatches and must be stated in the owner's Trainer Stats as you would list a TM/HM.

- You can only submit one Pokemon into the Center per month.

- Any eggs that are unpurchased / left over will be sent to the Mart to be sold there. (Or Auction it off... Whatever.) <----Optional, just thought it'd be neat.

Now, that's just what I thought up in like five minutes. It could be messed around with and planned if people would put forth some effort. *Cough*Flare*Cough*

But oh well. I guess they hink it's too complicated. Meh.

Last edited by Shroomish; 06-17-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:45 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

I like the idea of having a set amount of breeding moves per pokemon. Maybe set a limit of up to 2 breeding moves may be used per pokemon?

The acquisition of said breeding moves is a problem... How about this:

Pokemart sells an item called:

"Pocket Breeder"

- A 1 use item, once used you may teach 1 of your pokemon 1 Breeding move that it can learn.

That way it's not too hard to figure it out, and it requires cash to get?

Set it at maybe 5000-6000, same as a good TM's cost?
Old 06-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Shroomish Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlugia
I like the idea of having a set amount of breeding moves per pokemon. Maybe set a limit of up to 2 breeding moves may be used per pokemon?

The acquisition of said breeding moves is a problem... How about this:

Pokemart sells an item called:

"Pocket Breeder"

- A 1 use item, once used you may teach 1 of your pokemon 1 Breeding move that it can learn.

That way it's not too hard to figure it out, and it requires cash to get?

Set it at maybe 5000-6000, same as a good TM's cost?
Ok, that's actually a great idea. O_O

That'd save us the time of going throug and listing all the BMs and such.. >_<

Yeah, Pocket Breeder sounds good to me but I know Lep'll disprove it. He always does. Lol XD Evil Leprachaun. :P
Old 06-17-2004, 06:59 PM
DarkMasterX Offline
Banned

Well I remember Jack kept saying that he wanted the URPG to be as close to the actual games as possible so no breeding moves means the URPG is nothing like the games. I'm sure that most people in the URPG would also agree bredding moves would "pwn".

Nidoking would kick those annoying Psychics Poke-butts with Megahorn.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 PM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

To be close to the game means URPG has quite a few moves that need to be worked out, or at least clarified in a thread, such as the following:

All multi-hit moves, eg: Pin missile
Magnitude
Sleep Talk
Old 06-20-2004, 12:41 AM
mlugia Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Sorry to double post, but I needed to bump the thread and post something else too.

Ok, apparently since the URPG is not supposed to be the game, in that it's similar but not the same, here's a preposition that would benefit everyone:

Proposed New Thread: List of URPG changed moves.

What it is: Easy. Basically, all the moves that don't work the same way as it does in the actual game is put here, along with how they would work in the URPG.

Benefits: All members, Refs and newbies alike, can refer to the list in case of any argument over how a move works.

Easy, no? I mean, I ref using all in-game mechanics with the exception of uh... I don't know, so far it's all in-game mechanics, and I think I'm offending refs by doing so.