Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:31 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Default Re: New Voices For Pokemon

They've changed Meowth's voice too? That's a real shame.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker matt
They've changed Meowth's voice too? That's a real shame.
I KNOW!! Some fat guy is playing him now! FAT GUY NOT GOOD WITH MEOWTH!! Fire fat guy now!!

I noticed it immidiatly and I was all...............NOOOOOOO! Then...........I hit my T.V to make it all go away but, it didnt!!

;_; I hate Meowth's new voice. I still love Meowth but I hate his new voice. If that voice is permenant then I give up on the anime. I'm just gonna buy myself all of Kanto, Jhoto, and Orange Islands episodes and watch those. At least they are good, have the REAL GOOD voices and don't make Meowth sound all stupid.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:04 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth
I KNOW!! Some fat guy is playing him now! FAT GUY NOT GOOD WITH MEOWTH!! Fire fat guy now!!

I noticed it immidiatly and I was all...............NOOOOOOO! Then...........I hit my T.V to make it all go away but, it didnt!!

;_; I hate Meowth's new voice. I still love Meowth but I hate his new voice. If that voice is permenant then I give up on the anime. I'm just gonna buy myself all of Kanto, Jhoto, and Orange Islands episodes and watch those. At least they are good, have the REAL GOOD voices and don't make Meowth sound all stupid.
Good plan. That's really bad though did anyone survive the brutal voice axe? I think I heard the narrator did.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 PM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Oh geez, they got a FAT GUY playing Meowth? Oh boy, I sure hope they don't have Meowth scratching himself now! NOw I'm really scared that some unattractive woman is doing Jenny and Joy!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
plasmaball3000 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to plasmaball3000 Send a message via AIM to plasmaball3000 Send a message via MSN to plasmaball3000 Send a message via Yahoo to plasmaball3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth
But, why can't they keep the voices the same if Pika's voice is staying the same?
They're keeping Pikachu because his voice is actually from the Japanese dub, and they don't have to pay any money for it.

Level 100 at 632
Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

Let's see... At the very least, Serebii himself understands that petitions are useless. Other well known people on Serebii also understand even letters are useless.

Yeah, the Narrator also did Mewtwo for 4Kids in the first movie. Too bad he didn't do Mewtwos roars in this special. =[

Hicker, we're part of an online community that's likely no larger than 10000, of which only a small portion would be willing to boycott the show entirely. Hardly affect the shows ratings.

Meowths voice sounded like it did in earlier series. Plus, this "fat guy" did the voice for Gary before Advance Generation. He's actually pretty good. And yeah, Pikachu is voiced by Ikue Ohtani, Pikas japanese VA. Likely voice clips.

Jenny's by the same VA as Ash/Max, and Joy is Wendy Gaunt. Neither have pics on ANN, so keep being scared? =D

If anyone's been keeping tabs on the discussion in Serebii forums, you'd also notice that from around page 33, quite a lot of peoples oppinions have suddenly changed from "OMG THIS SUCKZ!1!1!!!1111" to "now that I think about it, it's not as bad as I thought". Honestly, people are just now beginning to realize these new VAs have potential?

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist

Last edited by Zenaku; 05-01-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:41 PM
plasmaball3000 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to plasmaball3000 Send a message via AIM to plasmaball3000 Send a message via MSN to plasmaball3000 Send a message via Yahoo to plasmaball3000

Personally, I haven't heard the new voices, so I won't complain yet. I just can't get my head around why they would replace a bunch of voice actors that have a ton of fan support and are obviously on good terms with the company, since they're still in other productions. And as for the "fat guy playing Meowth", if there's anything I've learned from acting it's that 9 times out of 10, you can't match up the face with the voice, so that really has nothing to do with it.

Level 100 at 632
Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

I watched the Mirage episode in preparation for the War. The War Leaders need to decide if we're going to allow such technology in the roleplay and how we should allow its use.

When I started watching, it was painful, very painful. Five minutes in, I couldn't stand to watch this thing, but I forced myself to keep to the screen because I needed to see it.

The voices weren't the only things that changed, so did the way they said things. If any of you are proficient in two languages, then you'll know that if you take one language, run it through a computer translation, what comes out does not necessarily take on the same meaning. For years now, we've listened to Ash, Misty, and Brock say things translated by the same people. Now with new translators, you have different syntax, structure, and diction. The characters appear to have made a verbal change (noticibly leaving out contractions for example).

People do change how they speak, but over a gradual process. This jump just kind of threw me off and it probably threw others off. The voices, they are close to the originals, but not exactly the same. Jesse and Max came the closest in my opinion, but everyone else is different (Pikachu being the exception to all of this).

They all spoke too slowly for my taste, as if they were hit in the head (again referring to the change in people translating the words). I think these people need to take a good look at what the previous people did and try to adapt as best as possible to their style.

In the end, this will get better. We just have to remember that the voices, word structure, and such will be just like that of the early episodes of Season 1, not stable and constantly changing. They are going to experiment, they are going to speed up and slow down until they find the right voice for the character. It will be different, but it will also be the same. Many actors have played James Bond, yet the character remains the same.

As for Ash's voice, I am interested to see how Erica will go with it. She did do Lyserg for Shaman King (which was a nice voice job). If she can capture the same essence Ash, then we should be find. Ash is the main character, no matter what we think, and thus Erica is the leading voice actress. The others will follow her lead because she currently plays the role of the lead character.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 AM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

Well, it doesn't sound like any of the earlier Meowth voices but, I am meowth's biggest fan. I need to get used to it. I am listening to Meowth's voice in Japanese right now and it's nothing like i have ever heard. It's just too adorable! I guess I over reacted with the Meowth thing but it really ticked me off first I heard it. I just watched it three more times so I am slowly SLOWLY getting used to it. I guess the guy isn't all THAT bad. Heh, I might even come to love this voice like I have the other voices he has had.

ESPECIALLY THE JAPANESE ONE! IT'S SO FLIPPIN ADORABLE!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:55 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Although I would prefer the original voices, the new voices aren't that bad (phew). Misty, May, and Jesse sound almost identical to the original ones. I thought Meowth's voice would be one of the toughest to imitate, but that was done well. Minor characters like Jenny and Joy sound pretty much the same as well. Not much difference with Max either.

The voices that aren't done so close to the original were definitely Ash, Brock, and Oak. But even those three aren't that off anyways (though I think Oak is little more off than the other two lol). Ash's voice was always weird like that anyways. Well, you can pretend Ash and Brock grew up and their voices changed a bit, lol. Brock is suppose to be the mature and older one in the group, and his new voice does sound more "mature." So it's a good fit actually, but definitely a little off from the original. James, yea that's probably the most off one, hopefully the new guy will get more practice and improve. I can live with that anyways.

And I've heard some people say that Dr. Yung's voice was great. Well I didn't think too much of it, but the reason it sounded "okay" or "great" was because you never heard of Dr Yung's voice before, he doesn't have an "original voice" to compare to, so it's an easy job, just make your own voice. Again, I don't think it's anything special (not good or bad), sounds like a lot of the voices you hear in Pokemon or in other animes.

Overall, definitely a sad day to see the original voice actors go, but I can live with this.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

It's probably going to be two years or so until we get the new voice actors in Australia anyway, maybe I'll get over it by then. =P

I'm really annoyed about the changes, but at this point I think I've done everything I can do (which probably amounts to nothing, but I'm glad I tried).

If the new voice actors stick around, then I hope they can work out what they're doing relatively quickly. I mean, not even are the voices off, but Ash had no emotion in his voice at all, he seemed like a different character. At one point, I think he told Misty to be careful, or something along those lines. The way the voice actor said it made it seem like Ash didn't even care about what was going on. =\ I know some people are saying things like "they're just voices, the characters aren't going to change", but it's things like this that do change characters. If Ash's new voice actor can't portray bravery, courage, passion and determination in Ash's voice, then that's changing his character...

The other thing that annoyed me was that they couldn't pronounce Pokemon right, and Jessie's new voice actor couldn't pronounce Ratatta. If they get new people, they should at least teach them to pronounce the title of the show correctly. =P
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Ture pokemon master Offline
Elite Trainer

HELP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFLqzxbU_mE
Old 05-10-2006, 06:08 PM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Must fire fat guy, give Meowth his real voice back you meanies!

Don't give in to the hopeless you may feel, it can make a difference if you try. It's not like Justice League getting canceled for no reason at all, and JL still had MANY good episodes to put out had Cartoon Network not put on their quality of 'carp'programming (don't want to offend viewers with what I really think of the quality of CN these days!). I want the old voices back where they belong. IT's been done too many times, and that's why some shows fold because of the alleged talent they hired.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Marill Offline

Send a message via AIM to Marill Send a message via Yahoo to Marill

Well, although the voices are a little off, I actually like the direction that the series is going in. Did you guys see the most recent episode of PKMN, Hooked on Onix? I thought the graphics were amazing, and it looked as if they implemented movie-like elements into the series. I agree that Team Rocket sounds the same, minus Meowth for me. Ash's voice, on the other hand... well, I just couldn't cope with.

Date Registered: 06/17/02 at 18:54:32
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 AM
theEND Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to theEND Send a message via MSN to theEND

I'm kind of stuck to the voices of Advanced Battle(Season 8). I can't clearly remember Ash's voice from like the first season. His first voice was more squeeky and his current voice is more mature. I'd say it perfectly fit, but the original is the BEST