Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso
Default Books are outdated!

Books are an outdated institution and no longer serve any purpose in the 21st century!

Let the dicussion begin!

Go to the Anime section

Last edited by Alonso; 04-10-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default Re: Books are outdated!

Books continue to be an important institution in modern society, being used universally in schools the world over as well as for entertainment. Despite the advent of eBooks, I don't see books going away anytime soon. Frankly, reading books on a computer screen (aside from being strange and unseemly) is a bit tough on the eyes, especially for a hour or more at once.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Seven Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
Books continue to be an important institution in modern society, being used universally in schools the world over as well as for entertainment. Despite the advent of eBooks, I don't see books going away anytime soon. Frankly, reading books on a computer screen (aside from being strange and unseemly) is a bit tough on the eyes, especially for a hour or more at once.
Though technical limitations (: reading on a computer screen) can be overcome (in fact, have been overcome), it would still prove to be next to impossible to digitalize all the old works that were published in the form of a book. Especially very old books, I think.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

Do you know what kind of damage you can do by reading books on a computer screen? Exactly what Alakazam said, your eyes will strain. Even spending more than 3 hours consecutively per day is bad for you.

Reading books is on a downslope anyway. Why? Technology, Media, and the Entertainment. Books aren't outdated. But the three ideas I just listed prevent us from having time to read. Especially Television. And don't forget, people are naturally lazy and would rather watch a two hour movie than take the time to sit down to read the book the movie is based on. As technology increases, old fashioned reading decreases.
If there is one thing that has lasted since it's birth, it's writing and reading in paperback. Unfortunately, it is losing interest. But not from me.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN

Books are good.

Besides the live expectancy for books are higher than that for electronic devices. You're advised to back up your cds every five years, due to its lack of resistance against dust and so.

Second, books are less manipulable than electronical ways of storage. Your run of the mill hacker can change data far more easy than a normal person could write in a book without getting noticed.

Third, books have feeling. Like when you curl up on a rainy sunday morning, and hold a good book in your hands. You just keep on reading. See if you can do that with a pc. It'll be ages before electronical devices can reproduce the texture and smell of a book.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 04-11-2006, 11:22 AM
DratiniLover Offline

Smile Re: Books are outdated!

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BOOKS!

Some days, I read book, after book, after book. The book I am reading at the moment is Noughts and Crosses, By Malorie Blackman.
So far, it is really good, and I recommend the book to any reader, because it's really worth reading. The book is written in 2nd person and is great to read. I also love reading science books as well.
Basically, I LOVE TO READ EVERYTHING!

Really, you should read books, but you don't always have to be on the internet to read, and as lil_leprachaun33 and Alakazam said, if you go on the internet too much, you will damage your eyes.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 PM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

Books are getting outdated, but we haven't got the technology to make the world completely change yet. I could easily see 'books' being sold in the future that's actually just one small flat panel screen that you can fit inside your pockets and have a little control to 'flip' the pages for you. The problem of course, would be costs and health. Costs are not that big an issue, all technology start out expensive and drop prices eventually and rise again after they discover some other ground-breaking, jaw-dropping technology. I personally don't see health bothering too much either, we've moved to LCD techonlogy from the CRT one, our eyes are now much more protected because there's a lot less radiation. It's only a matter of time before a better screen technology comes out that doesn't endanger our health at all.

This is, however, the future. Presently, books cannot be easily replaced. But it will be.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poketrainer Chez
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE BOOKS!

Some days, I read book, after book, after book. The book I am reading at the moment is Noughts and Crosses, By Malorie Blackman.
So far, it is really good, and I recommend the book to any reader, because it's really worth reading. The book is written in 2nd person and is great to read. I also love reading science books as well.
Basically, I LOVE TO READ EVERYTHING!

Really, you should read books, but you don't always have to be on the internet to read, and as lil_leprachaun33 and Alakazam said, if you go on the internet too much, you will damage your eyes.
Don't go off topic. Just focus on the discussion.

EDIT:
For Books
*portable
*practical
*don't cause health problems
*pocket-sized...even if PDA's exist and portable television books are more affordable than those
*Used by almost the entire world
Against Books
*Time Consuming
*reserved*
*reserved*
*reserved*
Go to the Anime section

Last edited by Alonso; 04-17-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Elmo's Heaven!! Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Elmo's Heaven!! Send a message via MSN to Elmo's Heaven!!

I hate reading on the computer because staring at it for like one minute will kill my eyes. Yes, I don't read as much as I used to. But to help me read I just put the caption on the telly. That is also how my mom taught me to speed-read, since I was 2 or 3.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Rizaado Offline
Elite Trainer

Books aren't outdated. The days when books are completely digitalized probely won't happen but if it did I wouldn't support it

Banner made by Rizaado
Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

What do we do if there is a power cut or a computer crash? Simple we go to the shelf, find a book and work out how to fix it. As long as technology continues to be marginally unreliable we will rely on books, and therefore until that time they can never be outdated.

Also books have an almost individual feel. The dog-earred and well thumbed pages of a book help you think of it as yours. You can scribble notes on it, crumble chocolate on it, press newspaper articles in it; sentimental I know but all things that a computer screen cannot replace.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Crummie Offline

Send a message via AIM to Crummie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Charizard
Books are an outdated institution and no longer serve any purpose in the 21st century!
I assume you don't actually mean that. Because you'd pretty much have to be as dumb as a rock to truly believe that books are obsolete.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 AM
InvertrevnI Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to InvertrevnI Send a message via MSN to InvertrevnI

As some have said, books aren't outdated.
However, they can and will be. With the invention of television, newspapers lost popularity and declined. This can happen to books, multiple books could be placed in an incredibly small space, and therefore more compact. As for hurting your eyes to look at, with the advancement of video technology, a screen could do just as well as a book.

As for the possibility of a power out, portable technology can continue to run on batteries. By the time books are gone, batteries could last years. Only the future can tell,
and therefore I cannot give the final say in this. As for those who belive if we do have such technology and should still use books, I don't see any reason not to replace an inferior device.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Half a Dollar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to Half a Dollar

451 F. The temperature when books catch on fire.

*cough*
Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 PM
RouteMaster Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half a Dollar
451 F. The temperature when books catch on fire.

*cough*
I bet your local library isn't too pleased with this research.