Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco
Default Big bang debate

Everyone has different ideas on the big bang. Did it really happen? Or is it just a myth from crazy scientists? You the people be the judge.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
plasmaball3000 Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to plasmaball3000 Send a message via AIM to plasmaball3000 Send a message via MSN to plasmaball3000 Send a message via Yahoo to plasmaball3000
Default Re: Big bang debate

I don't pretend to be an expert in any way about any of this stuff, but it seems to me that the universe has been expanding, and the big bang seems as good a theory as any. Of course, I think that this theory has as much chance of being false an any other, but it's something to keep people happy.

Level 100 at 632
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Seven Offline

Well, truth is: nobody knows, and nobody will ever know.
I think it happenend like the Big Bang theory describes, more or less anyway. But where the first particles came from, I have no idea.

Meh, no one was there, so nobody knows for sure. THough I don't think it's relevant to know anyway...
Old 04-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Crimson Spider Offline
Experienced Trainer

Well, in all consideration there was something that might be classified as an explosion eminating from a certain point of existance that spread all matter and existance that we know of in an outward fasion. We just don't know what caused it.

Sup, Dog? Check this out.
http://www.liliy.net/mdak/guestart.html
Old 04-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

I don't belive it. If it was true the matter would explode and cool down. But once the earth was born it was filled with volcano's and massive destruction. But then, how did the animals kingdom get here. Did the slimy humans and animals crawl out from the farthest reaches of earth? I think not. Sure it may sound convincing but if you think hard it's simple.

1) Chaos can't bring beauty.
2) If there was such a thing why aren't there more planets in our solar system? Some have over millions.
3) You can't deny it you've seen the U.F.O's and everything. But where did they come from too?
4) If the big bang truly exists then we would have planets slowly forming out of the blue from left over cosmic gases and dust. We've had telescopes for since the 1600's from Galiaeo (SP?) and there's no way that we couldn't have spotted it already.
5)Okay what about stars. Either a lot of stars can burn forever or i'm crazy. I belive that earth was much hotter than any star and if that's true half of the stars in the Universe should of burnt out.

If you have any objections just say them and don't flame me, okay.

EDIT: I can belive pangea and things but not a big bang.

Last edited by Tamer Marco; 04-09-2004 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 AM
Psycho Mew Offline
New Trainer

I support the Big Bang Theory, though it is not probably 100% accurate, it may partially describe how our Universe formed. If the matter in the Universe is constantly expanding, that probably means the all the matter, if you go backwards in time billions of years, started in an original location and suddenly started expanding because of an explosion or imbalance of force.

Quote:
But then, how did the animals kingdom get here. Did the slimy humans and animals crawl out from the farthest reaches of earth?
Evolution. All life started from simple organisms formed from chemicals in the Earth's atmosphere, and eventually grew in size, becoming non-microscopic. In the future, the life became more complex.

Quote:
Chaos can't bring beauty.
Imagine you're a fish in the Pacific Ocean. You're swimming to where you and your friends call the "big mountain" and you're swimming around with them, playing hide and seek around the green plants growing around there. Then all of a sudden, BAM! An explosion happens. You and your friends are killed, and lava forms an island. Then the lava cools and years and years later, plants begin to grow on the island. Eventually, what forms is a tropical island. Isn't that beauty?

Quote:
Either a lot of stars can burn forever or i'm crazy.
Stars (and our sun) do not burn, but the energy/heat is created rather by a process called nuclear fusion. But if they did burn, like you said, the stars would only last for a couple thousand or million years.

Note: I am not flaming, just stating my own opinion.

Last edited by Psycho Mew; 04-09-2004 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

According to Einstein, the unvierse is either expanding or contracting (he deleted this idea from his mind). The scientists now, with their super telescopes, have a clear idea that the universe is cubic/rectagular prismic, which only the expansion/contraction law can apply to it.

The opposite argument would be "why not it contracting?". The answer is: we don't know. It's either expanding or contracting. We don't know at what point it will expand or at what point it will contract. It is still going to be difficult to explain it IF we know when it's expanding or contracting. We know about this as little as we knew about black holes.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

I belive it's contracting. Because even if it was expanding plenty of black holes are out there and they suck up matter faster than it can be created.

Although, there's a 100% percent chance i'm wrong because if it is expanding black holes suck up everything and from my knowledge they get bigger but can't move as they please.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Synod Offline
New Trainer

I believe in the big bang theory and all of the topics that relate to it (Evolution and such). If you think about it, it comes down to what you believe. I'd like to see the day when religion and science can agree upon something.

Pwnd.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Actually, black holes are dense matter in which light cannot escape. So if it's contracting, there should be more black holes? I don't know see...
Old 04-15-2004, 06:58 AM
masaki Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to masaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
Well, truth is: nobody knows, and nobody will ever know.
I think it happenend like the Big Bang theory describes, more or less anyway. But where the first particles came from, I have no idea.

Meh, no one was there, so nobody knows for sure. THough I don't think it's relevant to know anyway...
They may find out some day. But I expect they won't because they haven't found out yet. And probably wont find out while I'm alive.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Pichu Offline
Experienced Trainer

IMO, I think that that theory is reaaaaly overrated.......I mean all of the sudden there was this huge explosion and every planet, and every thing was created?? I mean common thats pretty hard to believe
Old 04-17-2004, 01:17 AM
masaki Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via MSN to masaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu
IMO, I think that that theory is reaaaaly overrated.......I mean all of the sudden there was this huge explosion and every planet, and every thing was created?? I mean common thats pretty hard to believe
Well I think it is very possible that a huge explosion for whatever reason could blow a huge ball of rock into pieces that slowly became planets or something. But I don't know how planets are round. Did they erode(sp?)
Old 04-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Seven Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaki
Well I think it is very possible that a huge explosion for whatever reason could blow a huge ball of rock into pieces that slowly became planets or something. But I don't know how planets are round. Did they erode(sp?)
About the Big Bang theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang

About the forming of stars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

About planets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet

Most important quote:

Quote:
Planets are thought to form from the collapsing nebula that a planet's star formed out of, aggregating from gas and dust that orbits the protostar in a dense protostellar disk before the star's core ignites and its solar wind blows the remaining material away.

Oh, and planets are round due to gravity.

You could also look at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/o...ng/index.shtml

I think this site reads a bit easier than the other ones.

Last edited by Seven; 04-17-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:07 AM
Pichu Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaki
Then I want to know how that ball of rock got there in the first place