Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:43 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default Freedom Tower

Freedom Fries... and now the Freedom Tower?

Don't get me wrong, I love my freedom in this country, but just because we have it doesn't mean it makes a great name for everything.

The World Trade Center, being rebuilt to the tallest building on earth (1776 feet, 2000 feet including broadcast antenna), the tallest tower at the center, is being called the "Freedom Tower." It's still at the WTC, but like the name Twin Towers, the new tower needs a name. Freedom Tower wouldn't have been my pick, but that's just the way things go. Just a minor complaint, but the project of rebuilding the WTC is looking great.

I think it's great idea to build an even taller building. Although, I would have prefered the same exact towers to be built back, just to show that we're strong, and we're going to put it right back up. Original ideas were a series of much smaller buildings, which I didn't like at all. The idea we had to downsize because of the terrorists is sending the wrong message. The message of a taller and better building is a strong one, terrorists can not break our will.

Freedom Tower Gallery: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/03...t.exclude.html

I'm looking forward to see when it's completed, scheduled for 2009. Judging from the plans, it looks amazing.

Last edited by PokemonElite2000; 05-05-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi
Default Re: Freedom Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000
Freedom Fries... and now the Freedom Tower?

Don't get me wrong, I love my freedom in this country, but just because we have it doesn't mean it makes a great name for everything.

The World Trade Center, being rebuilt to the tallest building on earth (1776 feet, 2000 feet including broadcast antenna), the tallest tower at the center, is being called the "Freedom Tower." It's still at the WTC, but like the name Twin Towers, the new tower needs a name. Freedom Tower wouldn't have been my pick, but that's just the way things go. Just a minor complaint, but the project of rebuilding the WTC is looking great.

I think it's great idea to build an even taller building. Although, I would have prefered the same exact towers to be built back, just to show that we're strong, and we're going to put it right back up. Original ideas were a series of much smaller buildings, which I didn't like at all. The idea we had to downsize because of the terrorists is sending the wrong message. The message of a taller and better building is a strong one, terrorists can not break our will.

Freedom Tower Gallery: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/03...t.exclude.html

I'm looking forward to see when it's completed, scheduled for 2009. Judging from the plans, it looks amazing.
Freedom Tower sounds corny to me (Like Patriot Day is 9/11). I still call Fries French Fries though :P

It looks nice. They should intall some anti-aircraft guns at the top of the building though LOL. It looks nice though. They just need to change its name.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I'm so glad they're rebuilding the WTC. I wouldn't worry about the name, it actually goes well with the Statue of Liberty. The design does look a little odd, but I think I'll get used to it in time.

Let it be known to terrorists that while they can destory our buildings, they can't destory our will and our brotherhood.

God bless America...

Old 05-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Oh, great first this and now I bet Russia is gonna make a statue of a drunken bear. j/k

But, seriouslly why would they even consider it so early? The terroists are already after O'Hare airport in Chicago, the Golden Gate bridge, and the Arch and countless other american momuments. It's still strange they are making they're plans out in the open. The whole world is hearing this and I bet so are the terrorists. Don't get me wrong, I love this country but we are as stupid as hell sometimes.

I hope no-one takes offense to this but as long as american momuments exist along with terrorist we're never going to seise to have war with our enemys...

In my opinon the tower should be at the most 1500 feet with wide sides. So, if they ever attack again we will have problems but not as severe.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:47 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu
I'm so glad they're rebuilding the WTC. I wouldn't worry about the name, it actually goes well with the Statue of Liberty. The design does look a little odd, but I think I'll get used to it in time.

Let it be known to terrorists that while they can destory our buildings, they can't destory our will and our brotherhood.

God bless America...
Right, name is very minor, I'm just glad the tower itself looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Luddico
Oh, great first this and now I bet Russia is gonna make a statue of a drunken bear. j/k

But, seriouslly why would they even consider it so early? The terroists are already after O'Hare airport in Chicago, the Golden Gate bridge, and the Arch and countless other american momuments. It's still strange they are making they're plans out in the open. The whole world is hearing this and I bet so are the terrorists. Don't get me wrong, I love this country but we are as stupid as hell sometimes.

I hope no-one takes offense to this but as long as american momuments exist along with terrorist we're never going to seise to have war with our enemys...

In my opinon the tower should be at the most 1500 feet with wide sides. So, if they ever attack again we will have problems but not as severe.
Wouldn't you think it would be more strange if there wasn't a plan? Compared to having a plan? There's no surprise at all, whether they make it public or not, the WTC will be rebuilt, one way or the other. Doesn't make a difference.

Not having any important buildings or monuments doesn't make us any safer from terrorists. There's always going to be something, monument or no monument, terrorists don't care as long as they do their job, to cause fear.

If we went with your plan, to be a little smaller and wide... don't you think the terrorists would like to see the United States be cowards and build a smaller building instead? The taller tower has a message, you can't destroy us, here we are, we're not going to give in. I don't like the idea of giving in to the terrorists.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Tamer Marco Offline
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Tamer Marco Send a message via AIM to Tamer Marco Send a message via MSN to Tamer Marco Send a message via Yahoo to Tamer Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000

If we went with your plan, to be a little smaller and wide... don't you think the terrorists would like to see the United States be cowards and build a smaller building instead? The taller tower has a message, you can't destroy us, here we are, we're not going to give in. I don't like the idea of giving in to the terrorists.
So, would you risk thousands of innoccent lives for american pride? Just a question...
Old 05-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
So, would you risk thousands of innoccent lives for american pride? Just a question...
Every day we face risk of something happening, there no way to avoid it. But if we show fear in what we do, then we are telling the terrorists that they're winning and that terrorism is the answer to get people to do what you want. No, I don't think we should hold back in anything that we do, since this is our nation, and why shouldn't we feel secure within our own borders? The best way to fight terrorism is proving to them that we aren't afraid. Only then will they realize their mission is purposeless and they are nothing but a bunch of murderers.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Quote:
Pride or no pride, there's always been a risk to the American people. Showing pride and courage in the face of our enemy doesn't necessarily bring up the risk, the risk has always been there, 2000 feet building or no 2000 feet buildings, the risk is there.

You forget that the millions, if not billions of dollars, have been spent on protecting this country from future terrorists attacks. You're assuming that the Freedom Tower will be attacked for sure. Sure, it's definitely a possibility, but they won't just breeze by this time around, that's for sure.

You are in a "risk" whether the building you're in is 2000 feet or 500 feet (the Pentagon is no tall building). What we should be worrying about is how to prevent them from attacking us in the first place, not making buildings and think "well, they're going to bring it down anyways, might as well make it a small one." Wouldn't it better to say "let's see what we can to stop these terrorists, and at the same time, not having to downsize our buildings because of the terrorists."

There's many ways to look at this, look at it this way, say we built smaller buildings to "fit the needs of the terrorists," then the terrorists will think "it's working! Let's do even more harm since it's working so well." But what if we built back the same buildings or larger buildings, the terrorists might think "This isn't working, they're just building it back."

So to answer your question, showing weakness might put the country in more risk. To me, that's risking a lot. Showing strength is combating the terrorists. We weren't prepared in defending our buildings against hijacked airplanes, but we are now.

So let me ask you this, would you feel more safe if you were in the Twin Towers back then when we had no protection and no idea they can carry a plan out like that, or in the new Freedom Tower with when we're prepared and know what our enemy is capable of? You're probably in less risk in the Freedom Tower than in the Twin Towers.

Last edited by PokemonElite2000; 05-06-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:31 AM
KCash Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KCash

Hello... My name is KCash and I have CNN-idis. Seriously, I watch it everyday, can't stand not to watch it now with everything going on. Everyday on CNN I hear the reporters and interviewers talk about how the government is screwing us and doing more harm to us then the terrorists are doing. That's not true, terrorists will come one way or the other.. dang terrorists, just wait til I'm a Marine.. I swear I'll take down every last one of them.

I think the design for the new WTC is kinda awkward. In time I'll get use to it of course but its like they think the world will be the 'flying cars future' by then in 2009, it has that 'future' look to it.

One question: Am I mistaken or is it just one tower? I have always liked the concept of two towers, The Twin Towers. I loved the saying... I would rather have two but its cool how they want it to be the tallest building in the world.

Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCash
Hello... My name is KCash and I have CNN-idis. Seriously, I watch it everyday, can't stand not to watch it now with everything going on. Everyday on CNN I hear the reporters and interviewers talk about how the government is screwing us and doing more harm to us then the terrorists are doing. That's not true, terrorists will come one way or the other.. dang terrorists, just wait til I'm a Marine.. I swear I'll take down every last one of them.

I think the design for the new WTC is kinda awkward. In time I'll get use to it of course but its like they think the world will be the 'flying cars future' by then in 2009, it has that 'future' look to it.

One question: Am I mistaken or is it just one tower? I have always liked the concept of two towers, The Twin Towers. I loved the saying... I would rather have two but its cool how they want it to be the tallest building in the world.
I keep in touch with the news as well, this "government doing more harm to us than the terrorists," that's something new to me, and you're saying you hear this everyday. I think you're stretching it a bit, and getting the message wrong. There's people that believe the government now and before hasn't done enough to protect the country and combat terrorism. And that, has caused terrorism to get as big as it is today. That doesn't mean the government is doing more harm than the terrorists, let's be clear on that. I don't necessarily believe in all that, I don't think there's something in particular a person or President can do to prevent an attack, although possible, not exactly easy. I doubt that you hear people on CNN or whatever news channel saying the government is doing more harm than terrorists, every single day. Even if you do, you're probably hearing it from the same people (like the NRA people will always say guns are good). Though everyone is entitled to their own opinion like yours and mine, I don't think you're hearing this everyday like you said. The things you are hearing are more like people thinking the government could have done more.

Yes, it's one tower, but there's several other buildings at the World Trade Center site, the Freedom Tower is just the biggest one there. There will be memorials there as well. It definitely has a future look to it, something you expect from the Jetsons or some science fiction story.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:12 AM
KCash Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to KCash

Well your right on that, I worded that all wrong. They do say, and this is the right words, that the government doesnt try hard enough to prevent these attacks "...and here are some facts about that.." (which gets old after awhile) or that keeping 135,000 troops over there and people say that shouldnt be done. Then again they are saying that more needs to be done to pervent terrorists from invading our homes. I'm personally not worried about terrorists attacks. I think we are all doing a good job on terrorists right now and trying to keep this country safe. Sorry, guess I did word that wrong though.

LOL, yeah, the Jetsons, I love that show...

I wonder if by 2009 or whenever it will be done, if the buildings will all begin like that. At least they didn't go to far and put flying cars in the model...

Old 05-06-2004, 03:30 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCash
Well your right on that, I worded that all wrong. They do say, and this is the right words, that the government doesnt try hard enough to prevent these attacks "...and here are some facts about that.." (which gets old after awhile) or that keeping 135,000 troops over there and people say that shouldnt be done. Then again they are saying that more needs to be done to pervent terrorists from invading our homes. I'm personally not worried about terrorists attacks. I think we are all doing a good job on terrorists right now and trying to keep this country safe. Sorry, guess I did word that wrong though.

LOL, yeah, the Jetsons, I love that show...

I wonder if by 2009 or whenever it will be done, if the buildings will all begin like that. At least they didn't go to far and put flying cars in the model...
Yea, I had a feeling you got that a bit wrong, I knew where you were heading though.

I wouldn't mind if new buildings get the updated futuristic look, instead of the usual generic look. We have the technology and the means to do it, so we should. Why be boring when things can be creative . The first time I saw it, I was surprised by the design, I was expecting just a tower and some other buildings, and my hope was at least add something creative to spice it up... got more than I bargained for, heh. The memorials will be just as amazing, there were many designs for the memorial, and all the finalists designs were very creative: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/03...t.exclude.html (The Reflecting Absence one won)
Old 05-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Ierdar Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ierdar Send a message via MSN to Ierdar Send a message via Yahoo to Ierdar

I knew they were going to build a new WTC, but calling it the "Freedom Tower"...Thats kinda sad. =\ But oh well, not like I could do much better naming it, lol.

And Marco: We'll always have enemies, we'll always have war. Only way thats possible, is if theres one person on Earth, and only one person. Unless of couse they're insane, and go to war with themselves. O_o Which would be pretty funny actually XD
Old 05-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Yeah, when I hear such ludicrous terminology as "freedom fries", "freedom toast", and "freedom tower", I can't help but think of "Victory Gin" and "Victory Toast" from George Orwell's 1984
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:48 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ierdar
I knew they were going to build a new WTC, but calling it the "Freedom Tower"...Thats kinda sad. =\ But oh well, not like I could do much better naming it, lol.

And Marco: We'll always have enemies, we'll always have war. Only way thats possible, is if theres one person on Earth, and only one person. Unless of couse they're insane, and go to war with themselves. O_o Which would be pretty funny actually XD
That's correct. The entire place is still called the World Trade Center, just that one tower is called the Freedom Tower. There's many other smaller buildings at the WTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
Yeah, when I hear such ludicrous terminology as "freedom fries", "freedom toast", and "freedom tower", I can't help but think of "Victory Gin" and "Victory Toast" from George Orwell's 1984
Freedom Tower probably sounds more weird because of the idea of freedom fries. Not something I would have named it, but not a big deal, just a name.