Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga

Pokemon: Anime/Movies/Manga Talk about the Pokemon anime, movies and manga. NOTE: It's possible that there may be discussions in here that may spoil something for you if you haven't seen that episode/movie/manga before. Please use the spoiler code when appropriate.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Neo-Lionheart Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Neo-Lionheart
Default Re: {MAJOR NEWS} Pokemon English Dub to be COMPLETELY recasted!

All I want is the voice actors to stay. Heres the Petition that is circulating around the forums in my signatures.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/savpkmn/

I've signed it.

for more infromation, head to www.pokebeach.com ...their HP has some information.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:56 AM
Jeikobu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jeikobu Send a message via MSN to Jeikobu

I think dub recasting would be wonderful, especially for Satoshi ("Ash"), Haruka ("May"), and Kojirou ("James"). But with a butchered dub, it wouldn't make much difference, and if they're going to try to emulate the old dub voices, what's the point in recasting?
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
Old 03-24-2006, 07:19 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Unhappy Re: {MAJOR NEWS} Pokemon English Dub to be COMPLETELY recasted!

I think some of you are missing the point. You may feel the quality of the show won't suffer, but I think it would if you put in a different actor for Ash, actresses for May, Brock, Max, Jessie, James, and so forth. Even Meowth may have a very bad voice! I have seen what bad talent did to the ruination of Sailor Moon in changing the voices of Serena, Raye, Darien, Rini. I still liked Sailor Moon, but I think it took a hit when the other company took it over. DOn't let this other company ruin Pokemon by changing the talent. Veronica Taylor has no problems at all, why must some of you say that new talent is better? I don't think it will be better. Changing a voice is like recasting in a show. It's a gamble that sometimes it can work, but if you know the show for years like Pokemon, it won't work at all. Not just the voices of your characters are in jeopardy, what about Officer Jenny and Nurse JOy? The other Pokemon? Even dimwit Harley may have a new voice.

I recall when the Brady Bunch came back on TV, they had a new Marcia. That really didn't set well along with the storylines. THere is a fine line with this, and don't break it by recasting a good thing. I want Veronica Taylor and the others obtained.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000
I can understand people having a deep bond with the voice actors, since they have been doing it since day 1. But just because they have been doing it since day 1, doesn't mean they have been doing it well. No disrespect for the voice actors, I'm sure they put a lot of effort into it (I know I can't voice act), but they need to realize the show ain't just for kids, so they need to stop making cartoonish voices that only appeal to kids.

It will be weird hearing different voice actors, that's for sure, even if they get the world's best voice actors, it will sound weird because we're use to the old voices. That part, we just have to get use to.
Please forgive me for this double post, but I want to point out one show that has been on the air 10 years plus themselves, Simpsons. From what I know, Yeardley Smith still does the Lisa Simpson voice, even after 10 plus years. Bart's voice is also the same, so is HOmer, so is Marge. Now just suppose somebody else came in and did this to the Simpsons? There would be an outrage to hear another voice for Bart and company. I know who the voices of the simpsons are and I would recognize bad talent if they changed the voice. You, a few others may feel it's not a big deal, but it is. I like my Jenny voice. I like my Joy voice. I've even liked May's voice though it comes from the actress doing Ash's voice, and NEVER would I know in a million years that Veronica Taylor was doing Ash's voice, and did it quite well. Max kind of makes me laugh when he talks at times, or throws a tantrum when May teases him in a good way. You can't just change that just because a company wants to do this cheaply. I've seen how my football team has been destroyed by doing it the cheap way, and it's taken them 8 years to finally make something of themselves and actually SPEND some money in free agency for once in their lives.

Again, my deepest apologies of double posting, but I had to point this out right away about the Simpsons.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

I think you're all forgetting one thing; you're all under the assumption that the voice acting is bad. Save your petitions until after you've heard it.

Personally, as a viewer of both the English and Japanese versions, I say good riddance to 4Kids and their actors. Pokemon USA, as Ryan said, Pokemon USA is another part of the Pokemon Company in Japan. They won't hire a voice actor if they aren't up to the challenge.

Once the series gets rolling, and PUSA gets all the profits from the series, the wages of the voice actors will without a doubt go up; I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them would agree to work for cheaper rates for the 9th season, if a chance for an increase wasn't far off.

I get a little irritated seeing all these "Save the Dub" petitions around, especially when it's almost unanimous among serious anime fans that 4Kids is terrible at dubbing, especially considering the cuts.

Although unrelated to voice actors, it also can't be denied of the fact that as a subsidory of the Pokemon Company of Japan, it's very possible that any DVDs will come out dual-audio, so for those who buy DVD's, voice changes wouldn't really be a big problem.

Ah, if only the information could be misinterpreted... Then again, it's not very clear, as it could be either context. What I'm talking about, is the stated "imitation". Are Pokemon USA searching for VAs that can imitate the previous VAs of the English dub, or the original Japanese series?

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM
sdp Offline
Experienced Trainer

btw sending emails and signing online petitions will probably NOT work,

sending a real letter though DOES make a difference.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenaku
I think you're all forgetting one thing; you're all under the assumption that the voice acting is bad. Save your petitions until after you've heard it.

Personally, as a viewer of both the English and Japanese versions, I say good riddance to 4Kids and their actors. Pokemon USA, as Ryan said, Pokemon USA is another part of the Pokemon Company in Japan. They won't hire a voice actor if they aren't up to the challenge.

Once the series gets rolling, and PUSA gets all the profits from the series, the wages of the voice actors will without a doubt go up; I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them would agree to work for cheaper rates for the 9th season, if a chance for an increase wasn't far off.

I get a little irritated seeing all these "Save the Dub" petitions around, especially when it's almost unanimous among serious anime fans that 4Kids is terrible at dubbing, especially considering the cuts.

Although unrelated to voice actors, it also can't be denied of the fact that as a subsidory of the Pokemon Company of Japan, it's very possible that any DVDs will come out dual-audio, so for those who buy DVD's, voice changes wouldn't really be a big problem.

Ah, if only the information could be misinterpreted... Then again, it's not very clear, as it could be either context. What I'm talking about, is the stated "imitation". Are Pokemon USA searching for VAs that can imitate the previous VAs of the English dub, or the original Japanese series?
If you have been watching Pokemon, which version do you watch? THe version I watch has good talent, good voices, and a lot of adventure. YOU seem to watch a type in which you feel it's bad, including the voice acting. Well, if it's so bad, why do you still watch it for? I know enough that if a movie is bad, I am not going to spend 7 bucks plus popcorn and stuff to watch it. I'm not going to tape a TV show that is very bad.

I know what bad voice acting is. I watched Sailor Moon, and I know when a voice is bad when you have Serena talking in British, Darien talking in who knows what, Raye talking in who knows what, and Rini sounding like a whiny brat. I've even seen in DUkes of Hazzard, if you ever watched it, remember Coy and Vance Duke? That was a foolish attempt in trying to replace Bo and Luke (Schneider and Wopat) with 2 so called lookalikes. That's what having a new voice on Pokemon will sound like, a so called lookalike talking like Ash, May, Brock, Max, and perish the thought, JENNY AND JOY! Do you want Jenny and Joy with awful voices?

I wanted to add another thing in this edit portion: When COy and Vance DUke came on, the Dukes of Hazzard had good solid ratings on CBS, no. 2 I believe. BUt then, ratings took a tumble to no. 29 back in the 80s (From a documentary of Dukes of Hazzard that was on last Feb. on TNN). If you put in bad voices like that, I guarantee you a big tumble will come up on Pokemon and drop the ratings here in America.

Getting rid of 4kids is just like the program that ran Sailor Moon took a hike, sold it to a cheap skate company, and the cheap skate company ruined what a good show was all about with having bad voice people. I still like Sailor Moon now, I don't regret buying the DVDs, but I don't like the American voice talents, which is why I watch it in Japanese. Just like I rather watch Pokemon in Japanese if I ever had TV TOkyo in my area then to hear 'bad quality talent', and believe me, I have a stronger word for it that I will not put down because I like being here.

I get more irritated when NOTHING is done to stop a potential disaster so KEEP UP THE PETITIONS! I don't say it to annoy you, I say it as my right of the viewer to save a show before it's ruined.

Last edited by AshMistyMayfan; 03-25-2006 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMistyMayfan
If you have been watching Pokemon, which version do you watch? THe version I watch has good talent, good voices, and a lot of adventure. YOU seem to watch a type in which you feel it's bad, including the voice acting. Well, if it's so bad, why do you still watch it for? I know enough that if a movie is bad, I am not going to spend 7 bucks plus popcorn and stuff to watch it. I'm not going to tape a TV show that is very bad.

I know what bad voice acting is. I watched Sailor Moon, and I know when a voice is bad when you have Serena talking in British, Darien talking in who knows what, Raye talking in who knows what, and Rini sounding like a whiny brat. I've even seen in DUkes of Hazzard, if you ever watched it, remember Coy and Vance Duke? That was a foolish attempt in trying to replace Bo and Luke (Schneider and Wopat) with 2 so called lookalikes. That's what having a new voice on Pokemon will sound like, a so called lookalike talking like Ash, May, Brock, Max, and perish the thought, JENNY AND JOY! Do you want Jenny and Joy with awful voices?

I wanted to add another thing in this edit portion: When COy and Vance DUke came on, the Dukes of Hazzard had good solid ratings on CBS, no. 2 I believe. BUt then, ratings took a tumble to no. 29 back in the 80s (From a documentary of Dukes of Hazzard that was on last Feb. on TNN). If you put in bad voices like that, I guarantee you a big tumble will come up on Pokemon and drop the ratings here in America.

Getting rid of 4kids is just like the program that ran Sailor Moon took a hike, sold it to a cheap skate company, and the cheap skate company ruined what a good show was all about with having bad voice people. I still like Sailor Moon now, I don't regret buying the DVDs, but I don't like the American voice talents, which is why I watch it in Japanese. Just like I rather watch Pokemon in Japanese if I ever had TV TOkyo in my area then to hear 'bad quality talent', and believe me, I have a stronger word for it that I will not put down because I like being here.

I get more irritated when NOTHING is done to stop a potential disaster so KEEP UP THE PETITIONS! I don't say it to annoy you, I say it as my right of the viewer to save a show before it's ruined.
You say you "know what bad voice acting is." Well, wouldn't you have to hear it first before saying something is awful.

I have no clue how it will sound, but you're already saying stuff like "Do you want Jenny and Joy with awful voices?" How do you know it will be awful without hearing it? I don't see how you can say a voice is awful before hearing it.

And from what we know, they hiring people trying to mimick the original voices. So yes, it will be different voice actors, but they're trying to make it sound the same as before. Probably won't be 100% perfect, but we'll just have to see how accurate they do it.

It's fair to say that you don't like them changing the actors, but it's not fair to say it will be awful without hearing it.

Just don't say it's awful before you hear it.
Quote:
Well, if it's so bad, why do you still watch it for? I know enough that if a movie is bad, I am not going to spend 7 bucks plus popcorn and stuff to watch it. I'm not going to tape a TV show that is very bad.
Just because the voice acting is bad, doesn't mean people still don't watch it. Overall it might still be good. Personally I think some of the voices are done great, some rather not so great, just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

Well, Ryan's already answered the main body of the post, and I agree with him, so I'll mainly be answering what was directed specifically at me.

So... The version I watch? Japanese and English. Living here in Britain, I don't get to see much anime on TV, especially considering my parents got rid of the Toonami channel. The few dubbed animes I can watch include Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.

The thing is, you see, unlike a lot of other anime, Pokemon isn't subbed. Yes, there's a group starting to sub the first AG episodes, and they've even subbed the 2 newest movies; all of which are much greater than their dubbed counterparts.

However, with the newer episodes, specifically the Battle Frontier saga and some episodes beforehand, there are no subs whatsoever. I'm forced to watch the RAWs with my simple japanese knowledge.

In short, I have no choice but to watch the abysmal acting for the dub. Like Ryan, and like many other people, there are some voices that are fine. Very rarely, there's an above-average voice. However, even then, it's totally different to the original version.

You complain so much about being used to the old voices, and not wanting the actors to change, but what about the many people who are used to the originals voices? Do their opinions not count? Personally, if someone were to start a petition to Pokemon USA asking them to continue and change the VAs, I'd probably sign it without hesitation.

I'm not assuming the new VAs will be godly, I'm just not assuming they'll be hell. That's just prejudice, yet without any information at all to prejudge with. Technically, that's the worst form of prejudice there is.

Either way, moving away from personal opinions, look at it from a business view. Before, it's likely profits were split between Pokemon USA and 4Kids 50:50, although considering 4Kids did dubbing, they might have recieved more.

The point? Even if the profit from the series was cut in half by a drop in viewers, Pokemon USA would still likely be getting more money than before due to lower production costs, and the fact they'll be getting 100% of the profit. You then have to take into account the fact that 4Kids, being a business, wouldn't lend out its contracted VAs to another company without getting some sort of cut.

Even if the original VAs were willing to work for a lower fee, the last thing Pokemon USA would want is for 4Kids to get part of the cut for lending the VAs. In short, using the old VAs would cost a lot more in money, more than just the average VA wages. The more profits a company gets from its merchandise, the higher the quantity and quality of the merchandise they produce. The more money Pokemon USA earn, the more likely it is we'll get better DVDs, toys, and the other little Japan exclusives.

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 03-26-2006, 08:31 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonElite2000
You say you "know what bad voice acting is." Well, wouldn't you have to hear it first before saying something is awful.

I have no clue how it will sound, but you're already saying stuff like "Do you want Jenny and Joy with awful voices?" How do you know it will be awful without hearing it? I don't see how you can say a voice is awful before hearing it.

And from what we know, they hiring people trying to mimick the original voices. So yes, it will be different voice actors, but they're trying to make it sound the same as before. Probably won't be 100% perfect, but we'll just have to see how accurate they do it.

It's fair to say that you don't like them changing the actors, but it's not fair to say it will be awful without hearing it.

Just don't say it's awful before you hear it.

Just because the voice acting is bad, doesn't mean people still don't watch it. Overall it might still be good. Personally I think some of the voices are done great, some rather not so great, just my opinion.
Another movie was made, documenting the Three Stooges. Although they hired good actors for it, the movie on TV just did not pan to good ratings, and any plan by Mel Gibson to put on the Three Stooges was obviously put in the back burner. THat's how I see the new voices will be, maybe they'll be good, but they are just not the legendaries and it's going to lead to bad ratings here.

How do I know a voice is awful before hearing it? Steve Urkel said his first words that were awful on Family Matters. Another actress tried filling in for Miss Eillie on Dallas, that also didn't do good. Voice was good, but she just wasn't Miss Eillie. Even if you can find a 'similar voice', there's a method behind the orignal voice that makes Pokemon that good to watch. Even the Brady Bunch cartoon show changed the voices of Greg and Marcia that didn't sound good at all.

Will change be good? Well, I did say at one time on another Pokemon forum that I thought May wouldn't pan out, and I was wrong. The show actually survived. BUt I think taking away the voices of Jenny and JOy would be my Brock heartache to see such nice women, but they talked so badly! It would remind me of Growing Pains when Mike Seaver saw that nice girl, but she talked soooooo bad!

Zenaku, my apologies about the area you live in. I didn't know you lived in England, and I do hear that getting new episodes of something from America is a bit difficult. I still however feel the company that now has Pokemon will treat it worse then what Sailor Moon went through. Taking away the good voices and putting in cheaper talent just doesn't feel right to me. It's sort of like an NFL Salary Cap move and believe me from what I have seen out of my NFL team, Salary Cap is not a pretty word for Pokemon in replacing a good player with mediocre talent. I know I have to even hear the voices to make a judgement, but from watching both TV shows and the ANime of Sailor Moon, I can feel it, I can smell it, and it could be coming in bad talent.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Jet Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jet Send a message via MSN to Jet Send a message via Yahoo to Jet

bleah, I still prefer subbed versions

though first... AshMistyMayFan... you KNOW if the dubbing if bad? even if you haven't heard of it? aren't you taking it a bit too far?

and yes, petitioning online won't do much good... personally would be much effective.

personally, if the dubbing is bad, why watch it? go get subs -_-
Old 04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Pokemon Master 101 Offline
Amateur Trainer

I think that getting a new cast of people for vocies of the anime Pokemon Characters is a great idea. Like Pokemon Elite 2000 said, Pokemon USA knows all about pokemon, so they will know what to do. I will be pleased if the new vocies resemble the old vocies.
And By the way, Pokemon Anime, again like Pokemon Elite 2000 said, is doing very good, ranking among the most watched. So all you guys who say that Pokemon Anime isn't doing that well. then how can I put this, your wrong.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Ture pokemon master Offline
Elite Trainer

Pokémon USA to switch voice cast..

As many of you know, Pokémon USA has recently taken over the licensing rights for Pokémon from 4Kids Entertainment, who have been running it for the last 8 years. However, from e-mails we received from Eric Stuart and Veronica Taylor, two of the major voice actors who have been with the dub of the show since 1998, have said that since Pokémon USA is dubbing the show from Season 9 onwards, the company has decided to hire new voice actors... not just new ones to continue such as other tv shows have done, but new actors to IMITATE the current voice actors and try and get the same sounding voices.

Apparently, the upcoming 10th Anniversary special is going to be used as a testing ground for these new voices, but the voice actors for the 9th Season have yet to be chosen, possibly using this special as a test to see what us fans think... So, there is time to save it:

Many of the fans of the Animé across the community have suggested starting a Mail-In campaign in order to convince Pokémon USA that the dub should continue to be made with the previous Voice Actors, those who have put their hearts and souls into these characters for 8 years and have become attached to the characters.

While the show will still look the same, have the same plot lines, twists and so forth, the Voice Actors are what make a show and changing the voice actors mid-stride is just wrong and, in our opinion, bad for the franshise. We need to let Pokémon USA know how we feel about the current voice actors and any possible changes they make. The way we suggest to do this is to either send an e-mail to the Pokémon Company (feedback@pokemon.com) or, preferably, to send a snail mail to:

Pokémon USA, Inc.
ATTEN: Animation Director
400 Madison Avenue
21st Floor
New York, NY 10017
United States

and

Corporate Offices
Pokémon USA
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Sample letters can be found here and below.

PokeUSA_Letter 01 (.pdf) Adobe pdf format.

PokeUSA_Letter 01 (.doc) Microsoft Word format.

A working ONLINE Word Processor can be found at http://www.ajaxwrite.com/, try it if you don't have MS Word or another text tool.

More resources and supporters can be found at Save Our Voice Actors, a nice site put together by Pie, from BMG. Go on and add your name to those that support our cause.

3/22/2006

Pokémon USA, Inc.
400 Madison Avenue
21st Floor
New York, NY 10017
United States

Pokémon USA
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036

Pokémon USA, Inc.
777 108 Ave NE #2000
Bellevue, WA 98004
USA

feedback@pokemon.com

Dear Sir or Madam:

It has come to our attention that, besides using a team of sound-alike voice actors/actresses for the 10th anniversary Pokemon special, you are also considering replacing the original voice acting cast of the series from the next season onward. As long-term fans of the dub this news has caused us much disappointment.

We, the fans, believe that replacing the main cast at such a late stage would cause interest in the Pokemon anime (and possibly the franchise as a whole) to noticeably decrease. We feel this is because many viewers enjoy watching the show just to hear their favorite voice actor or actress perform, and they wouldn't imagine the characters sounding any different.

We all love the VAs for the major characters. There are other ways to save money than to change the VAs. Making fewer edits on episodes should save quite a bit of money and time. Keep the fan base (which consists not just of kids, but of people of all age groups) strong first, then the money will roll in on its own. That way, we'll all be happy.

With this in mind, we hope that you will consider such a decision very carefully.

Sincerely,

Online discussions and comments can be found on our forum, Pokemon Community, located at this thread.
Please take a minute and support our beloved dub version, thanks.

There is also an online petition located at www.petitiononline.com/pkmnRB. This petition to Pokemon USA was created by Pokemon Rebirth and written by Gemma Bright (gemma.bright@gmail.com).

from http://www.pokemonpalace.com/index.php
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Quilava_Kaitlin Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to Quilava_Kaitlin

Well this sucks =(

I'm going to miss James voice.
Made me laugh everytime I heard it.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:32 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

My beloved Jenny and Joy, I am about to be heartbroken as Brock in hearing imposter voices! I cannot forgive them for this for changing the sweet serene voice of Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy. Jenny drives a mean motorcycle in that nice outfit, and Joy is so caring to pokemon. I'm about to sit in my dark corner as Brock would do.

NOw it won't even be on to hear the voice if CW won't show it, FOX won't buy into it, NBC stopped showing cartoons, CBS does Nick and ABC does DIsney.