Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 PM
King Zark Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to King Zark Send a message via MSN to King Zark Send a message via Yahoo to King Zark
Default Stem Cells?

So what do you think of Stem Cell research?

I say we should for numerous of reasons.
1) SAVE LIVES
2) IF SUPERMAN WAS ALIVE HE WANT THIS!
3) PEOPLE WHO HAD ATTACKS AND HAVE THEIR HEARTS DAMAGED THEIR HEARTS CAN GO TO THE POINT BEFORE HEART ATTACK

Medicial research should be narrowed down to:

"Can we do it? Should we do it?" -My Science teacher.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso
Default Re: Stem Cells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Zark
So what do you think of Stem Cell research?

I say we should for numerous of reasons.
1) SAVE LIVES
2) IF SUPERMAN WAS ALIVE HE WANT THIS!
3) PEOPLE WHO HAD ATTACKS AND HAVE THEIR HEARTS DAMAGED THEIR HEARTS CAN GO TO THE POINT BEFORE HEART ATTACK

Medicial research should be narrowed down to:

"Can we do it? Should we do it?" -My Science teacher.
Stem cell research helps not only people with heart disease but also with cancer, diabetes, and almost all diseases. Stem Cell Research also intervenes with religious beliefs and we live in a world where religion is a big thing. This could lead to more terrorism and acts of violence.
Go to the Anime section

Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

"Should we be doing stem cell research?" Shouldn't even be a question - of course we should. It save lives, and is going to be essential in advancing medicine into the 21st century, and no moral issues surrounding it are significant enough to slow or stop this research. Not only that, but federal funding is both appropriate and neccesary.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 AM
flareon008 Offline

Send a message via AIM to flareon008 Send a message via Yahoo to flareon008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazam
no moral issues surrounding it are significant enough to slow or stop this research. Not only that, but federal funding is both appropriate and neccesary.
Maybe not, but it has. Bush is against it too. It would be a major step to help millions. To me, I would say yes to the stem cell research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charizard64
This could lead to more terrorism and acts of violence.
Unfortunately, that would be quite true.

Doing everything with a flare.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

We have to understand that stem cell research means many different things, and most of it doesn't even touch moral boundaries. In fact, is it immoral to take stem cells from say you and use that as research? No. I don't see problems with that at all. People, however, get the idea that stem cells HAD to come from fetuses, and we HAD to kill fetuses to get stem cells. Again, that's not true at all. I'd say we should use stem cell research to its fullest, and research in how we can use stem cells as repair mechanisms.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Redlark Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Redlark

Actually, they recently discovered that you can also get stem cells from sperm, which makes sense. It's the other half of the prego process.

Aborting babies causes too much of a morality fuss, and it's harder and more time consuming to find doners that can only donate once a month or two three times a year. With sperm, the only real issue is for the guy, having to "sample" in a cup.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlark
Actually, they recently discovered that you can also get stem cells from sperm, which makes sense. It's the other half of the prego process.

Aborting babies causes too much of a morality fuss, and it's harder and more time consuming to find doners that can only donate once a month or two three times a year. With sperm, the only real issue is for the guy, having to "sample" in a cup.
Well stem cell research is considered just as bad as abortion so...we can't do anything about it. But that sperm idea doesn't sound to bad.
Go to the Anime section

Old 04-08-2006, 03:09 AM
InvertrevnI Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to InvertrevnI Send a message via MSN to InvertrevnI

Again, I must agree with you people, the only people that would disagree would be souther babtists
Old 04-08-2006, 03:21 AM
NightBreaker Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to NightBreaker Send a message via MSN to NightBreaker Send a message via Yahoo to NightBreaker

The research of stem cells isn't right.

Stem cell research is interferring with the natural process of life, even though it is to save lives. We should never try to alter our bodies by using the lives of children to be born just to expand our lives for a few more minutes to a month or two from death, because we will eventually die. We have to accept that fact. Humans had a longer life expectancy BEFORE we began making useless inventions.

We now have dyed food when the color doesn't change the taste at all, but the color actually makes our bodies worse. Red Dye 40 is the number 1 product that feeds cancerous cells. Cancer is caused by death of cells, which can be caused by water lack when we eat too much dye, which clogs up the cell membranes of our cells.

In the old days, people didn't have sex with the next person they met. They remained true to their spouses, so AIDS and HIV were less common, nearly non-existent.

And ever thought of the sideffects of sten cells? Having kimotheraphy gives you hair loss, making you prone to sunburn and cancer, and using too much sun tan to prevent it causes cancer. To cure leukemia, we use radiation, but that just deprives us of all our blood cells and use of our marrows, then we have to get surgery and blood transfusions to replace it all. When curing heart attacks, the person's heart is replaced with a new heart, but that leaves the victim prone to another heart attack when they could have avoided the whole thing by eating healthy foods and exercising.

Accomplishing stem cells won't only help us with a few things, but it will make more problems for everything else, including the ones it's supposed to help. Stem cells could even cause a new disease far beyond our ability to cure, and in the process we will continue to conduct researches that will only help us a bit more, but make our problems much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We the Pichus...
I desperately need a sprite of a Snorlax wearing Lederhosen... don't ask any questions and I want show everybody else that picture... understood
AtraAngel (7:25:45 PM): be conscious that you are speakin to an idiot here
imbackppl (7:25:55 PM): k
imbackppl (7:26:03 PM): QUIZ
imbackppl (7:26:06 PM): Q-U-I-Z
imbackppl (7:26:14 PM): Kwiz
Old 04-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Send a message via AIM to Seawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBreaker

Stem cell research is interferring with the natural process of life, even though it is to save lives. We should never try to alter our bodies by using the lives of children to be born just to expand our lives for a few more minutes to a month or two from death, because we will eventually die. We have to accept that fact. Humans had a longer life expectancy BEFORE we began making useless inventions.
So...is tossing aborted fetuses into the trash moral? Because I don't see the point in not using them for research if all they become is garbage.

Thousands of abortions take place everyday. It's hard to take, but it is true. But discarding them just because those extreme evangelists consider it to be "immoral" is just stupid. Stem cells are a hot-button issue for a reason - they have been shown to help treat certain types of diseases, and continuing to research stem cells will help us further this way. We're wasting a valuable opportunity for science.

Yes for stem cells.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:44 PM
boltAge Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to boltAge

It boils down to the same issue as abortions - Do we consider foetuses to be humans? What do we define as human? Something with limbs, or even just a fertilised egg?

This is a very subjective issue, my stand on this is, yes, it is alright. It's the same thing as donating organs, which is surprisingly having a lot less controversy.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Alonso Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltAge
It boils down to the same issue as abortions - Do we consider fetuses to be humans? What do we define as human? Something with limbs, or even just a fertilised egg?

This is a very subjective issue, my stand on this is, yes, it is alright. It's the same thing as donating organs, which is surprisingly having a lot less controversy.
Donating organs is different. Why? Because a person is freely donating their body's organs. You can't tell me what to do with my body. But abortion is different. You are killing another being. Some say "the baby is in my body and I can do whatever I want with my body just like the people who donate organs." No they are wrong. The fetus is in your body because that is how it intended to be with humans when reproducing. Some animals have internal reproduction and others have external. So don't go killing other people. A fetus is a person. And that person has his/her rights. Claiming that a fetus isn't human is like saying a baby isn't a human because it isn't tall like an adult male.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi
So...is tossing aborted fetuses into the trash moral? Because I don't see the point in not using them for research if all they become is garbage.
So your saying that we should use those fetuses that we aren't go to use anymore...we shouldn't have fetuses being artificially made or test tube babies at all.

How would you like it if you were a fetus in a lab and used for stem cell research or a baby in a mother's womb ready to be aborted? You should see how people kill their babies. It is sick.

When humans get older they start losing their hearing and different problems in their body. Humans weren't really intended to live so old as 70s. And if we increase the lifespan of humans the population of the world will severely increase. So stem cell research contributes to other problems.

Final Answer
NO to Stem Cell Research.
Go to the Anime section

Last edited by Alonso; 04-09-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Charizard

So your saying that we should use those fetuses that we aren't go to use anymore...we shouldn't have fetuses being artificially made or test tube babies at all.

How would you like it if you were a fetus in a lab and used for stem cell research or a baby in a mother's womb ready to be aborted? You should see how people kill their babies. It is sick.
I'm Pro-Choice, so I'm not exactly going to have your same opinion. I also think you misunderstood me.

Aborted fetuses should be the ones used for research. They are dead, they can't feel anything, there's no harm done. They would actually be of use then instead of being tossed aside.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
InvertrevnI Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to InvertrevnI Send a message via MSN to InvertrevnI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi
I'm Pro-Choice, so I'm not exactly going to have your same opinion. I also think you misunderstood me.

Aborted fetuses should be the ones used for research. They are dead, they can't feel anything, there's no harm done. They would actually be of use then instead of being tossed aside.
You took the words right out of my mouth, Megumi has a good point.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Seawolf Offline
I has a stik

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaquanzaFan
You took the words right out of my mouth, Megumi has a good point.
But abortion is a strong issue, so I can see where Charizard is coming from.