Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar
Default Re: Do you beleive that "The End" will come in 2011?

Well then Phoenix please enlighten us and tell us when will the end come
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

I don't know about the end of the world, but I believe the end of human existence is very possible. Think about it: Earth has been around for millions of millions of years, and has been through MUCH worse than humankind and hasn't blown up yet. I think sooner or later a massive global disaster will take place, be it a tidal wave destroying the world, or a huge earthquake, or an out-of-control hurricane, or volcanos all over the planet erupting...take your pick, but I believe when whatever happens happens, it'll just be Earth's way of shaking off the human species. This planet has proved it can take care of itself, with or without humans. OF had a good point; just because humans go extinct doesn't mean the end of Earth. Some animal will just evolve to take humankind's place.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 02-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Ironshell Blastoise Offline

Send a message via AIM to Ironshell Blastoise Send a message via MSN to Ironshell Blastoise

I dislike threads like these. Not so much the topic, but the topic starter. There needs to be more of a base of information to work off of to formulate an opinion of whatever we're discussing. I read this and expected at least a paragraph of background info about some prophecy correlating with 2011 or maybe information about a war and that 2011 was the predicted end of the world. But I can't formulate an opinion because I don't know what exactly we're supposed to discuss.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Sleepy Sheep Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Not at all. It was supposed to come a couple years ago, and never did.

The Bible said the world would come to an end. It never said when.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

Well, it's a strange topic.

As far as the environment goes, anyone with eyes can see that humans have affected the environment badly over the years. The amount we affect the invironment anually also increases by the year. For example, the damage we will cause in the year 2020 will be far greter than the damage we caused in 2005. I saw a small news report once that shown a glass of water with ice inside. As the ice melted, the water level stayed the same. Our actions might, ultimately, not cause a rise in sea levels, but in the salt content of the ocean drops due to an increase in fresh water, ocean currents are sure to change, thereby affecting the environment in certain parts of the world even greater.

Then there's carbon dioxide that is destroying the ozone. Plants are like lungs for the planet; without them we wouldn't exist. When the carbon dioxide levels begin to border on dangerous, it's possible that the governments will prevent further destruction of the rainforests and other natural habitats. The effect will be an increase in UV rays which we have the ability to block without ozone. It's unlikely that it would directly result in the end of earth, in all honesty.

Weapons however are another story. A single nuclear weapon can wipe out an entire area of the planet and make it uninhabitable within a certain radius of the impact point. Whether or not humans are stupid enough to use the weapons we so covet.

Then there's comets/meteors. In the last year, I believe there was a "near miss" with a comet/meteor that was flying past earth. Were you aware that this "near miss" was over 1'000'000 miles away? That's a near miss on a cosmic scale, but it makes it very unlikely that we'll ever get hit by a big comet again. In the 5 billion history of earth, each comet impact is millions of years apart from one another, at the very least. I'm not sure when the last imact was though, but we do know there was a big impact around 250'000'000 years ago was it? Either way, it would depend whether it's a comet or a meteor. A comet is frozen gas; it would burn up greatly before reaching the surface, while meteors are solid rock.

As for prophecies of the end, they're all false, unless the prophecy maker has their hands on a nuclear weapon.

I probably missed out one or two possibilities, but you get the idea. Despite the odds, I do believe we humans will die by our own hands; we're essentially killing ourselves, regardless of whether or not we cease our actions sometime in the future.

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Sleepy Sheep Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Basically, the world will come to end when Jesus thinks we are ready for it. It could be tomorrow, or the net could be replaced by something better when it happens. You just never know.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Kylee the Larvitar Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Post Re: Do you beleive that "The End" will come in 2011?

I'm sorry for bringing up the topic again, but I would like to announce that yellowstone park will blow it's top sooner or later. That will be the end of a huge chunk of America at least.

Sorry again but I just had to make my point. Also it's not to overdue. Just a week. Lock if you like though.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:21 AM
SideStep Offline
Experienced Trainer

Send a message via AIM to SideStep

There is no point thinking about when the world will end, you'll never know. When it does happen, you wouldn't know it happened because you just don't exist anymore. The point of life is to be happy, and being happy isn't looking forward to the death of Mother Earth.

If by the Earth dying you don't mean "suddenly exploding", well, there are many studies and few have proved consistent with each other. Some say resources will deplete completely by 2050, some 2100, I don't know, there are all sorts of dates. You can't raelly believe anything here.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideStep
There is no point thinking about when the world will end, you'll never know. When it does happen, you wouldn't know it happened because you just don't exist anymore. The point of life is to be happy, and being happy isn't looking forward to the death of Mother Earth.
Amen to that. If it's going to happen it's going to happen and really, there's no sure-fire way of saying how or when. A scientific study might say the sun will burn out in two hundreds years, but then five minutes later a giant meteor smashes into Earth and completely vaporizes it. No sense in worrying ourselves stupid over it, you know?

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 AM
bleep Offline
Master Trainer

Send a message via AIM to bleep

not to offend anyone who believes it, but i seriously think its stupid.

joinmyforumjoinmyforumjoinmyforumjoinmyforum
Oh yes. With over 1000 members and 70,000 posts, who could resist?

Want a team?
Check out this thread!, or go to my forum if you want one faster
Old 02-21-2006, 01:40 AM
flareon008 Offline

Send a message via AIM to flareon008 Send a message via Yahoo to flareon008

I'll wait for the trumpet coming out of the sky lol.

Doing everything with a flare.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Trumpets heralding (sp?) the end of the world? Oo Now THAT'S funny lol. And I don't even know why.

And bleep, I don't see why that should offend anyone, though most likely it will. I myself find it rather foolish as well to worry so much about something that really can't be controlled.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 02-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Loyal Arcanine Offline

Send a message via AIM to Loyal Arcanine

A big bad Snorlax will be in a grumpy rage and use Explosion.

"gengar is a fart" imsocorn (4:08:55): Is that your way of saying "and not a single **** was given that day" ?

Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Nasty Plasty Send a message via MSN to Nasty Plasty

Wow this thread is still up. I must've finally thought of a decent topic. Anyways, I beleive the world will indeed end in this millenium because the bible refers to "The Mark of Evil" I beleive that this mark will appear sometime in the 23rd or 24th century.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Arcanine
A big bad Snorlax will be in a grumpy rage and use Explosion.
XD Dude, that really would be the end of the world. And rather messy oo...

^Rock Musical Bleach^