Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam
Default Bush's Wiretapping

A White House leak in recent weeks has revealed a wiretapping programming operated by President Bush that includes spying on American citizens. Note that only conversations between American citizens and known members of Al-Qaeda are tapped with this program.

While the tapping itself and the validity of the program aren't in question (obviously this is an important part of counterterrorism), the big issue is that legality of the program since it does NOT acquire court orders in order to wiretap American citizens, which are mandated by law.

Bush has staunchly defended the legality of this program, claiming that he has the authority to spy with court order due to the extraordinary powers that he got after 9/11 to combat terrorism.

To me, it seems blatantly obvious that this is illegal. The law clearly states that a court order must be obtained to spy on American citizens, and may even be done so after the fact in the case of emergancy situations. Also, NOWHERE does the law explicitly mention that the President has the power to spy on Americans without getting a court order.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:55 PM
DaRkUmBrEoN Offline
M.D.

Send a message via AIM to DaRkUmBrEoN Send a message via Yahoo to DaRkUmBrEoN
Default Re: Bush's Wiretapping

I see you're back too, Zam...

Well, I'm so glad that I'm not an American citizen or an alleged terrorist. Who could sleep knowing that mister president is wiring your phone?

Though he says he's 'endowed' with 'special powers', don't they usually disappear once the situation has calmed down?

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
Where an old man of Aran goes around and around
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Pika57 Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via ICQ to Pika57 Send a message via AIM to Pika57 Send a message via MSN to Pika57 Send a message via Yahoo to Pika57

Eh Bush is a corrupt monkey puppet, controolled by corrupt pupeteers, Karl Rove and Dick Cheney...

Things I've learned in WAR RPs- War is Hell.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Alakazam Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Alakazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkUmBrEoN
Well, I'm so glad that I'm not an American citizen or an alleged terrorist. Who could sleep knowing that mister president is wiring your phone?

Though he says he's 'endowed' with 'special powers', don't they usually disappear once the situation has calmed down?
Who could sleep knowing that the president is wiring your phone? I think you're missing the point, DU. Its perfectly acceptable for the president to order those wiretaps, as long as he gets a court order each time he does it. Also, like I said above, only conversations between American citizens and known members of Al-Qaeda are being monitored.

This is NOT a privacy issue, as the American media is seeming to make it out to be. The issue is that the President thinks he has powers that he actually does NOT, and as a result, is breaking the law.

And yes, DU, the special powers you're referring to are taken away after the situation calms down, but it hasn't exactly calmed down yet.

Pika57, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. No offense, but if you have nothing to add to the discussion, please just refrain from posting. >_>
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.