Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:00 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Default Re: Pokemon USA and 4Kids Entertainment Cuts Ties!

I don't like this, remember the movie rights being taken over? NOw each Pokemon movie is resigned to being shown either at home or 'released' on DVD. I hope this is not the last season of Pokemon, what about Mt. Battle, and return of MIsty? IF Pokemon is renewed, what of the voice actors/actresses? Veronica Taylor has been entertaining as Ash and May.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:28 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMistyMayfan
I don't like this, remember the movie rights being taken over? NOw each Pokemon movie is resigned to being shown either at home or 'released' on DVD. I hope this is not the last season of Pokemon, what about Mt. Battle, and return of MIsty? IF Pokemon is renewed, what of the voice actors/actresses? Veronica Taylor has been entertaining as Ash and May.
Well, it's pretty wait and see mode, hard to say what will happen. The Pokemon TV show is really popular and making them good money, so I wouldn't be worried, it will be back, we just don't know the specifics yet.

But about the movies, nothing major will change. It will still be released directly to DVD. The rights to the movies didn't really affect how the movies were handled. The first three movies were distributed by WB. The first movie did fairly well, but the second movie made HALF of what the first one did. And the third made even less, half again (half of the second movie). All three movies had a wide release, meaning they were available at many movie theaters. If you look at the numbers, they took a risk to even release the third move wide, since by then the profits from the movies really dropped.

Then Miramax took over from the 4th movie, and made it a limited release, only peaked at 250 theaters maximum for the entire country (very small compared to the release of 3000 theaters for the first movie). It was impossible for them to make it a wide release after what happened with the 2nd and 3rd movie. Fans just aren't showing up to the movie theaters for the Pokemon movies, so they won't be in theaters anymore, simple as that.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:08 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Well, big problem with Pokémon movies is that they’re pretty short and while their storyline is more complex than a single anime episode, it’s pretty simple for a movie, and let’s not talk about how short the movie actually is in comparison to all the other movies usually shown at the same time. I think the first movie did exceptionally well considering it was the first Pokémon movie to be shown in theaters, and fans were eager to see it on the big screen. Later on… it just kind of dwindled…

I’m not crazy about the way Miramax handled it either. Why release it to only a few theatres? But even then, I’m sure it all followed suit. Fans that even had the option of seeing it just didn’t want to shell out the money for movie tickets. Meanwhile, plenty of others were just way too far away to even get there if they wanted to.

Still, I’m glad they all appeared on DVD. I would have been pretty disappointed if I never got the chance to see Pokémon Heroes…

Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu
Well, big problem with Pokémon movies is that they’re pretty short and while their storyline is more complex than a single anime episode, it’s pretty simple for a movie, and let’s not talk about how short the movie actually is in comparison to all the other movies usually shown at the same time. I think the first movie did exceptionally well considering it was the first Pokémon movie to be shown in theaters, and fans were eager to see it on the big screen. Later on… it just kind of dwindled…

I’m not crazy about the way Miramax handled it either. Why release it to only a few theatres? But even then, I’m sure it all followed suit. Fans that even had the option of seeing it just didn’t want to shell out the money for movie tickets. Meanwhile, plenty of others were just way too far away to even get there if they wanted to.

Still, I’m glad they all appeared on DVD. I would have been pretty disappointed if I never got the chance to see Pokémon Heroes…
Less demand for the movie, that's why Miramax didn't release it to more theaters. And even if they did release it to more theaters, it would still do more poorly than the 3rd movie (which did very poorly to begin with). So it just won't make sense to release it wide if it won't make money.

My major complaint with both WB and Miramax is they didn't do a decent job on advertising. I hardly seen any Pokemon movie ads on TV. I've talked to fans that didn't even know the movie was out, and it was out for weeks. I'm not saying a huge ad campaign would help that much (with the profit they're getting, it's not worth it either), but at least try something.

The good thing about direct to DVD is that we're getting the movies sooner. For those that wanted to see the movie, it's a better option than the limited releases. 250 theaters for the 4th movie, comes to down to an average of only 5 theaters per state that showed the movie, so that's really tough. And the wait for the DVD release is quite long. So the direct to DVD isn't a total loss.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Well, as I learned in all my marketing classes, setting up a marketing campaign is expensive, but you need it. Heck, without all the car ads we’re surrounded with, we’d have no basis on what car to buy other than from word of mouth.

Pokémon 2000 and Pokémon the Third Movie really could have been advertised a lot more. I barely saw anything for Pokémon 2000, and as for the Third Movie, forget it. Only way I was able to know it was actually out was through Nintendo Power magazine.

Honestly, I think its better just to go straight to DVD. Sure, it’s a little depressing to see the franchise no longer in theatres, but honestly, it already scored pretty well. Plus, it’s easier to get hands on the DVD’s than it is to find a theatre that is actually showing the movie. But to me, it seems like the DVD’s are selling really well and people would rather have the DVD in their hands rather than a memory.

Old 01-23-2006, 04:58 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

PRoblem with WB is they are doing a lousy job in the release of Justice League Unlimited--3 episodes a DVD! COme on, 3 eps and then wait about 2-4 for another 3 eps? MY worry is the 2nd company taking over the 1st company is what kind of job will they do for Pokemon? While the 2nd company took over for Sailor Moon to bring the S version, IT WAS HORRIBLE! They got a british voice for Sailor Moon, Mars was replaced by a worse voice, and Tuxedo Mask sounded just awful! Can you imagine what they could do for the Pokemon voices if they are not careful and don't get the right voices IF the originals don't want to work for the other company? BTW, Uranus didn't sound much better, sounded like Chyna of pro wrestling!

I don't mind having Sailor Moon on DVD for I'm a big fan, and I don't care that much on the voices, but it's just a forewarning as to what us Pokemon fans are in for. It's too bad on the movies that Japan has a success and America has a failure with them. I don't understand that logic at all.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Pokemon Master 101 Offline
Amateur Trainer

I still dont understand why the voices of the Pokemon characters have a slight chance of being changed? Dont they work for Pokemon? I hope they stay!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:31 AM
masterryanx Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to masterryanx Send a message via Skype™ to masterryanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Master 101
I still dont understand why the voices of the Pokemon characters have a slight chance of being changed? Dont they work for Pokemon? I hope they stay!
Nope, they're under contract with 4 Kids not PUSA...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:55 AM
pikachuz4ever Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to pikachuz4ever

I'm glad pokemon is releasing on dvd, because I don't want to go to theatres and watch it. Plus I'm going to buy it anyways, so it's easier if it release on dvds. I rarely see any pokemon movie ads, well only once. I hope the actors will have better voices.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:21 AM
AshMistyMayfan Offline

Best part of Pokemon movies on DVDs or tape:

THe popcorn only costs $3.50, ah hahahahahahahahaaaa!
The soda generates $1.60 per 2 liter bottle
Candy bar is 65 cents

Whereas in a theatre, you're out 10 dollars easy, and not just for admission.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:29 AM
masterryanx Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to masterryanx Send a message via Skype™ to masterryanx
Exclamation Re: Pokemon USA and 4Kids Entertainment Cuts Ties!

I really hate to revive an old thread but new news has sprouted up on this topic. And it's what many of us feared. It's official. When PUSA kicked out 4Kids they also kicked out our beloved voice actors too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPM @ PokeBeach.com
Pokemon USA and 4Kids Situation - Done - As we have been covering since this situation first started, there have been several hints and e-mails from 4Kids voice actors regarding Pokemon USA taking over the Anime and 4Kids losing rights to dub it. From talking to one of the voice actors myself, whom I am not allowed to name since it would breach their contract, this entire situation is definitely affecting the voice actors, but there is not much that can be done. 4Kids is a company that does not care about what they dub and has no knowledge about what they dub, and unfortunately, this mistreatment of their Anime even extends to their own voice actors, who are used as pawns in the big scheme of things (that's business for you!). Anyways, our affiliate PPN has obtained two e-mails from Veronica Taylor (Ash and May) and Eric Stuart (Brock and James) regarding this situation and their opinions. I will be e-mailing them too after I write this news story to get more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stuart
Pokemon USA has decided that it's too expensive to use 4Kids and the actors that have made Pokemon the TV show such a success for the last 10 years. They have 'behind our backs' re-cast the show with 'sound-a-likes' to try to save money. They acutally believe the fans don't care. They are starting with the 10 year anniversary special - starring all new voices. The main cast, me included, has taken a lot of pride in the characters we have helped to create. To change now, on the last season, based on greed is a sad example of what big buisness kids marketing really is.

Please spread the word - maybe some fan buzz can stop this tragedy.

Eric "Brock & James" Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Taylor
Unfortunately, this is very real. We have been informed that Pokemon USA has already made plans to do the Anniversary special with substitute voices. Apparently, they haven't made a firm decision on the next season yet. None of us have been formally asked to do the show, we've simply been told we'll be replaced. Pokemon USA has made no effort to negotiate with 4kids, simply feeling that getting a cheaper rate to dub the show is enough. They care nothing for the quality. They will be using new script writers, voices, music, etc. We (the voice actors and those at 4kids who work so hard on the show) are all extremely upset as we care very much for Pokemon and what we've worked to create. However, there is nothing that we can do. It seems that the only recourse is for fans to write to Pokemon USA and tell them how wrong their decision is and how it will adversely affect the show.

Thanks for your concern. Please spread the word and let's all try to work together to right this wrong before it's too late.

Veronica
If you're interested in putting in a complaint to PUSA to save the voices we've known for 8 years now then I suggest wrighting in...

feedback@pokemon.com

also you can write in to...

Pokémon USA
777 108 Ave NE #2000
Belleview WA 98004

Pokemon U.S.A. Inc.
400 Madison Avenue
New York NY 10017

and

Pokemon USA
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York 10036

also sign Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart's guestbooks. That could rally up some more fans who may not know yet.

www.veronicataylor.net
www.ericstuart.com

More stuff to help saves our beloved voice actors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by email from fruitsmoothierevenge at BulbaGarden Message Boards
Hello!

As you may or may not have heard, there are plans to potentially replace the dub voice actors of the television show Pokemon. They have already dubbed a special with new voice actors, and are planning to continue the next season without the voice actors- including Eric- that we have grown to love over the past eight years. We, as fans of these talented individuals, are starting a campaign to make sure that we can still hear the original voices we love.

There are many things that you can do to help out with our campaign to Save Our Voice Actors. One of the simplest things is to sign the online petition that has been created. The site can be found at http://www.petitiononline.com/pkmnRB/petition.html This petition, once enough people have signed, will be sent to Pokemon USA to show just how many people would like the originals to stay.

Another thing is to visit the website that has been created, located here: http://www.bulbagarden.net/pokemoncr...ova/index.html. Here you can find addresses you can send letters to and information about the other voice actors that we are trying to support. You can also read what supporters of the campaign have to say.

The most important way to help out is to spread the word. Forward this e-mail to as many people you think would support our cause. There are many people whose lives have been touched by these skilled vocal artists, so send this mail to your family, friends, neighbors, parents, children, and any other groups that you belong to. We believe, with a strong backing, that we can Save Our Voice Actors.

Thank you so much for reading! ^_^

- Lindsay
(fruitsmoothierevenge at BulbaGarden Message Boards)
I suggest doing all of the above, it really can't hurt.

Hurry up! It's never to late!

Last edited by masterryanx; 03-25-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Jeikobu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jeikobu Send a message via MSN to Jeikobu

4Kids losing the license is definitely excellent news, but with the evil Pokemon USA still controlling everything, we'll probably still never see Pocket Monsters the way it was meant to be: original and uncut. >_<
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
Old 03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Alonso Offline

Send a message via AIM to Alonso

That is so stupid...How can PUSA just kick out the original voice actors. This is what 4Kids did in Yugioh. I don't even watch Pokemon or Yugioh anymore because of these crazy stunts these companies pull off. They completely ruin the show. And that damned Yugioh made me spend over $500 on cards.

Looks like Pokemon is going in a different direction.
Go to the Anime section

Old 03-26-2006, 05:39 PM
vile plumb Offline
Amateur Trainer

I never like Yu-Gi-Oh! from the start. I've desperately tried to. I'd wake up earlier just to watch it (even when every time it came on I didn't even want to), but it never caught my interest. The cards are okay, but, other than that, Yu-Gi-Oh! and myself don't mix

I'm so sick of how greedy, money-grubbin' jerks would rather keep more money than keep the fans. How do you not think of keeping the original actors of a very popular show, and even after almost ten years? Do they really believe kids are that unintelligent and stupid that they wouldn't even notice a voice change? Or the fact that at the ending credits of the show, no one would notice how none of the original actors' names are there anymore? If they really cared about anything, they'd listen to the fans. I mean the majority of pokémon fans would rather have the original actors, and what a majority of fans it is! No, instead, they'd rather keep more change in their pockets (which they've undoubtedly got more of in their precious vaults, anyway). This is just so wrong. Unfortunetly, I haven't been able to watch the show in a long time (every single time it comes on, I've got to go out, or I end up moving where pokémon isn't as popular I currently live in Italy and it's rare to even see a glimpse of pokémon), but any changes whatsoever to the show, I'd definitely notice.

I'm gonna try to use the addresses listed... thanks a lot for posting those e-mails and all.

If it really happens....... I'm really gonna miss James

What really sucks out of the whole thing is that they'd actually kick the actors off right before the 10th Anniversary. How messed up is that?!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:22 PM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Charizard
That is so stupid...How can PUSA just kick out the original voice actors. This is what 4Kids did in Yugioh. I don't even watch Pokemon or Yugioh anymore because of these crazy stunts these companies pull off. They completely ruin the show. And that damned Yugioh made me spend over $500 on cards.

Looks like Pokemon is going in a different direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vile plumb
I never like Yu-Gi-Oh! from the start. I've desperately tried to. I'd wake up earlier just to watch it (even when every time it came on I didn't even want to), but it never caught my interest. The cards are okay, but, other than that, Yu-Gi-Oh! and myself don't mix

I'm so sick of how greedy, money-grubbin' jerks would rather keep more money than keep the fans. How do you not think of keeping the original actors of a very popular show, and even after almost ten years? Do they really believe kids are that unintelligent and stupid that they wouldn't even notice a voice change? Or the fact that at the ending credits of the show, no one would notice how none of the original actors' names are there anymore? If they really cared about anything, they'd listen to the fans. I mean the majority of pokémon fans would rather have the original actors, and what a majority of fans it is! No, instead, they'd rather keep more change in their pockets (which they've undoubtedly got more of in their precious vaults, anyway). This is just so wrong. Unfortunetly, I haven't been able to watch the show in a long time (every single time it comes on, I've got to go out, or I end up moving where pokémon isn't as popular I currently live in Italy and it's rare to even see a glimpse of pokémon), but any changes whatsoever to the show, I'd definitely notice.

I'm gonna try to use the addresses listed... thanks a lot for posting those e-mails and all.

If it really happens....... I'm really gonna miss James

What really sucks out of the whole thing is that they'd actually kick the actors off right before the 10th Anniversary. How messed up is that?!
Pokemon USA didn't "kick off" the voice actors. The voice actors are under contract with 4Kids. So in order for Pokemon USA to get to the voice actors, they would have to make a licensing deal with 4Kids (which is unlikely, because why would you give up what is yours to a company you don't need anymore). So then you would ask, why did 4Kids ever get a licensing deal in the first place. Well it was a 8 year contract with 4Kids, because the Pokemon company in Japan was small, they couldn't handle the stuff outside of Japan. Now they're big enough to handle the US stuff (that's why they created the new company, Pokemon USA).

So yea, understand the situation first before you get mad at them, because a lot of people are getting mad at them for something they're not doing. Yes they're not going to use the original voice actors, but it's because the voice actors are under contract with 4Kids.

It's a very complex situation, so don't think it's just "kicking off" voice actors. They're not.