Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » Pokemon News

Pokemon News Here you will find the Pokemon news that is on the website, posted here also so you can reply with any comments/questions.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:12 AM
PokemonElite2000 Offline

Send a message via ICQ to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via AIM to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via MSN to PokemonElite2000 Send a message via Yahoo to PokemonElite2000
Default Pokemon USA and 4Kids Entertainment Cuts Ties!

Pokemon USA and 4Kids Entertainment Cut Ties!
-12/23/05-

4Kids Entertainment, who had licensing rights for Pokemon for eight years, will no longer have the licensing rights to Pokemon. 4Kids Entertainment and Pokemon USA had shared licensing duties, but the move to not renew the licensing agreement with 4Kids now makes Pokemon USA responsible for all licensing duties. Pokemon USA will be in control effective on January 1, 2006.

This means that the eighth season of the Pokemon TV show, Pokemon: Advanced Battle, will be the last Pokemon season 4Kids will be in charge of. Since the Advanced Battle is still running and will run through 2006, 4Kids will continue to be in charge of those episodes until the season is finished.

Similar Move For Pokemon Trading Card Game
Not long ago, Pokemon USA announced that they are taking over for the Pokemon Trading Card Game's marketing and distribution from Nintendo, effective on January 1, 2006, as well. (Refer to news: "Pokemon USA Takes Over as Pokemon TCG's Marketing and Distribution! - 12/08/05)

Press Release:

Pokemon USA Moves Licensing In-House in 2006
4Kids Entertainment to Transition Its Representation of Pokemon

4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) and Pokemon USA, Inc., announced today that they have agreed not to renew the Pokemon representation agreement set to expire on December 31, 2005. Beginning in 2006, Pokemon USA, Inc.'s in-house licensing group will handle all Pokemon licensing outside of Asia.

"We felt it was in the best interest of the Pokemon property for Pokemon USA, Inc., to assume all aspects of licensing," said Akira Chiba, President of Pokemon USA, Inc. "This was a brand management decision. We would like to thank 4Kids for all of its great work over the last eight years in helping to establish Pokemon as one of the leading children's brands in the world."

"4Kids has had a successful eight-year exclusive relationship with the Pokemon property that will be expiring at year end," said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. "Over the next month, 4Kids will assist Pokemon USA, Inc., in its transition to in-house representation. We wish Pokemon USA much success going forward."

Under the terms of the expiring Pokemon USA, Inc. - 4Kids representation agreement, 4Kids will continue to receive commissions for the next several years on payments made under existing Pokemon license agreements whose term expires after December 31, 2005. It is expected that commissions earned by 4Kids from the Pokemon property will decline over the course of the next several years. 4Kids will also continue next year to produce the current eighth season of Pokemon television episodes.

Related Links
http://www.4kidsentertainment.com/ - Official 4Kids Entertainment Website

*For news complete with pictures, go to the website: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com

Last edited by PokemonElite2000; 12-24-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:51 AM
masterryanx Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to masterryanx Send a message via Skype™ to masterryanx
Default Re: Pokemon USA and 4Kids Entertainment Cuts Ties!

The big question is still how Pokemon USA inc. is going to work this. I hope they keep the Japanese music and stuff. But yet, I also want them to keep the same voice actors as 4Kids had (Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart ect.). Well, only time will tell...
Old 12-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I hope they keep the same voice actors too. I'm still deciding whether this is a good or bad thing...I guess they couldn't make the Anime any worse...could they?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger

thank god, maybe now I can tolerate watching it
Old 12-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Dragon_Seeker Offline
PE2K Team Rater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger
thank god, maybe now I can tolerate watching it
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Ignoring the circumstances in which this point was raised, it cannot be denied that I do in fact have supernatural powers and am jesus (lower case "J" please I'm not an egotist but I don't need you silly little people mispelling my name).
Old 12-24-2005, 02:20 AM
EspeonSun Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 1)

Send a message via AIM to EspeonSun

Maybe the pokemon show will get better! If it does, joy will fill my house!

Paired with operative123
"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."
HP Quote of the Week
"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style..." - Phineas Nigellus
Old 12-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

The things that make the Pokemon show "bad" are the voice acting, alongside 4Kids annoying use of puns. I suppose 4Kids undeniable reputation of screwing anime also plays a part in it.

Unfortunately, the names are sure to stay the same for all characters, although the only name really chosen by 4Kids would have been "Ash Ketchum", as well as the names of side-characters (Misty, Brock, and all other Gym Leaders were named by Nintendo after all). Same with English Pokemon names.

If we're lucky, then the following changes might be made:

-Use of Japanese Music and Pokemon sounds
-Use of Japanese episode titles
-Voices closer matching the originals
-More effort placed into voice acting

As I mentioned in the other thread too, we can hope for dual-audio subtitled DVDs. Since Pokemon USA is taking over the TCG as well, I'd hope to assume they realise not all Pokemon fans are small children, and that the majority are teenagers (Based on the TCG brackets "10 & Under", "11-14", and "15 & Over").

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 12-24-2005, 07:35 AM
masterryanx Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to masterryanx Send a message via Skype™ to masterryanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenaku
The things that make the Pokemon show "bad" are the voice acting, alongside 4Kids annoying use of puns. I suppose 4Kids undeniable reputation of screwing anime also plays a part in it.

Unfortunately, the names are sure to stay the same for all characters, although the only name really chosen by 4Kids would have been "Ash Ketchum", as well as the names of side-characters (Misty, Brock, and all other Gym Leaders were named by Nintendo after all). Same with English Pokemon names.

If we're lucky, then the following changes might be made:

-Use of Japanese Music and Pokemon sounds
-Use of Japanese episode titles
-Voices closer matching the originals
-More effort placed into voice acting

As I mentioned in the other thread too, we can hope for dual-audio subtitled DVDs. Since Pokemon USA is taking over the TCG as well, I'd hope to assume they realise not all Pokemon fans are small children, and that the majority are teenagers (Based on the TCG brackets "10 & Under", "11-14", and "15 & Over").
I've grown to somewhat like the English voice actors, so I'd like them to stay. But like you said Zenaku the puns and overall mess-ups (example: Abok-Siviper etc) are the real problem. And yes, I would really like to see dual-audio subtitled DVDs, that would be the best thing they could do. Oh ya and throw a promo card in the DVDs XD.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Japucar Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Japucar Send a message via MSN to Japucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterryanx
I've grown to somewhat like the English voice actors, so I'd like them to stay. But like you said Zenaku the puns and overall mess-ups (example: Abok-Siviper etc) are the real problem. And yes, I would really like to see dual-audio subtitled DVDs, that would be the best thing they could do. Oh ya and throw a promo card in the DVDs XD.
Lol, I've never actually heard the English voice actors, so I don't really care. ( I live in Denmark where we have horrible Danish voice actors). Though I hope, like Zenaku said, that Pokémon USA starts making the anime a little better. I haven't actually seen the anime in a long time because they were too childish.

[URPG stats]

Awesome job on the HOF, ND!
Aggron @ 1063
Level 100 @ 1237

I have decided to leave this forum for a while.
For more info, go here.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

The first step to breaking 4Kids hold on One Piece! This is the Saratoga of the War on 4Kids (Saratoga was the major turning point in the Rev. War (for those that fell asleep in History :P)).

Greatest Christmas Present... EVAR! 4Kids has just lost their Cashcow, and their stock is falling as I speak. Isn't this great or what?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Jack of Clovers Offline
~lil leprechaun~

Send a message via ICQ to Jack of Clovers Send a message via AIM to Jack of Clovers Send a message via MSN to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Yahoo to Jack of Clovers Send a message via Skype™ to Jack of Clovers

I think this is a good move. From what I read on other forums, 4Kids does a horrible job dubbing Animes (and the proof is very evident in One Piece). And the word isn't 'pun', it's cliche. They overused overused phrases when they couldn't think of something new to say.

If Zenaku is correct, then I'd love to have the original music and original titles (maybe even the original opening sequences ) changing voice actors wouldn't be that good, since we're all used to them.

I look forward to the new changes in 2006.

~Jack~

-| Links |-
Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

YES! 4kids will no longer mutilate AND molest the Pokemon anime, so it will be a lot better!
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 PM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Zenaku Send a message via MSN to Zenaku Send a message via Yahoo to Zenaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_leprachaun33
I think this is a good move. From what I read on other forums, 4Kids does a horrible job dubbing Animes (and the proof is very evident in One Piece). And the word isn't 'pun', it's cliche. They overused overused phrases when they couldn't think of something new to say.

If Zenaku is correct, then I'd love to have the original music and original titles (maybe even the original opening sequences ) changing voice actors wouldn't be that good, since we're all used to them.

I look forward to the new changes in 2006.

~Jack~
Yep, they ruin all animes all right. And oh, I was talking about the scripting puns, such as the titles ("Having a Wailord of a Time", "Turning Over a Nuzleaf", "Win, Lose or Drew", etc - they only really say what Pokemon's in the episode, rather than what actually happens; the original titles are much better: "The Great Starter Pokemon Panic", Attack of the Nuzleaf Family", "May! The First Pokemon Contest Challenge!", etc ).

As long as we continue to fight, and destroy, we are forever prisoners of our ignorance and foolishness; true 'freedom' does not exist
Old 12-25-2005, 02:07 AM
sdp Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
I hope they keep the same voice actors too. I'm still deciding whether this is a good or bad thing...I guess they couldn't make the Anime any worse...could they?
I've never understod the hate on the dub..it is actuallly pretty accurate and besides a few time cuts and paint edits nothing major is ever removed.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Zenaku Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp
I've never understod the hate on the dub..it is actuallly pretty accurate and besides a few time cuts and paint edits nothing major is ever removed.
According to what I've heard, they edited the whole script to Movie 5. Not sure how accurate that is, as I've only seen the sub, but I'd say that's pretty major.

The Japanese version is great because of the music. 4Kids changes music, pokemon sounds, scripts, jokes, and adds in their own things, such as puns. On "joke" from an early episode is the one featuring Khangaskhan kid, and some might remember Misty hitting him after he asked if they were Pokemon or people; in the Japanese version, he was asking Misty if the "things" on her chest were breasts.

I'm sure there are many other jokes that were edited out completely. The first movie is also known to have been kiddified, as the Japanese version was darker (From what I've heard, 4Kids even had the first movie redone with CG for America, which was later released in Japan as a new updated version of the movie; they also had scenes added to the 4th movie to make it obvious that Sammy was Samuel Oak, scenes that only idiots would require).

There are other examples, certainly, but I can't be bothered to search for them at the current time.