Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
katiekitten Offline

Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Good fic: 15
Ok fic: 13
Not so good fic: 8

=D

Ok, so I didn't get that far. >.< First two pages before being swallowed by boredom. XD

Thankies Kayden! =D

A few other authors to add to the list after a bit of browing... Tyranitar trainer, Saffire Persian, Harry Kim and... Mr Nobody. =D XD

Yeah, I remember when there was quite a few more people here... Last year, before the forum went poof. Ah well... :)

Aw, just ignore her. It's her loss, in the end. If she doesn't take your advise and get up her game, she is only hurting herself. For if she ever tries to write for a living, those editors will just kick her butt... XD

Banner by me. Image used in banner by sakimichan on subeta. Character is mine. =3

Yoru Ryu ~ Rar-roX

Last edited by katiekitten; 07-14-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekitten View Post
Good fic: 15
Ok fic: 13
Not so good fic: 8

=D

Ok, so I didn't get that far. >.< First two pages before being swallowed by boredom. XD

Thankies Kayden! =D

A few other authors to add to the list after a bit of browing... Tyranitar trainer, Saffire Persian, Harry Kim and... Mr Nobody. =D XD

Yeah, I remember when there was quite a few more people here... Last year, before the forum went poof. Ah well... :)

Aw, just ignore her. It's her loss, in the end. If she doesn't take your advise and get up her game, she is only hurting herself. For if she ever tries to write for a living, those editors will just kick her butt... XD
Yeah. Forum went BOOM BOOM! XD

You might wanna read my latest post in Nefarious Serendipity. It explains what's been taking so long with updates.

Your'e welcome, Katie, I love helping people. :)

Anyway, I'm listening to this. Giving me a lot of writing inspiration it is... ^^

yeah yeah yeah
Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Th3DazeGrace Offline
Amateur Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Th3DazeGrace

Eh, this is really off topic but kinda isnt...can someone rate meh fic and tell me how n00bish it is? i actually tried on this one...

Thanks to Alice_the_dratini for the card
Old 07-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3DazeGrace View Post
Eh, this is really off topic but kinda isnt...can someone rate meh fic and tell me how n00bish it is? i actually tried on this one...
Yeah, I'll check it out! ^^

Wow, look at this review. I feel spoiled now... O_O

EDIT: You know the author interviews at Serebii? We should do those here, lol. Maybe make the Fanfiction boards more popular? ^^;

yeah yeah yeah

Last edited by Kayden Javlaíakín; 07-14-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Isaac Gravity Offline
Experienced Trainer

Overflow of "n00bish" fics... I lurk here so I never too much noticed. Wait, wasn't Serebii and FF.net overflowed with "bad fics" even before the time mentioned?

I say just do what you have to do and not worry to much about it. It's the mods jobs. I think the last thing we need is for the members to get TOO involved. This'll only open up that high level of hot-air those "popular" forums have.

Dun think a refresher place like PE2K needs that or this kind of attitude *Holds up a "I like PE2K and give the newer writers a chance!" sign*

Dreams are dreams. Reality is reality- Distanced Hurricane
Welcome to your new life- Bone Chant! (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
What is a Hero?- Unwavering Breeze

Last edited by Isaac Gravity; 07-15-2006 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden Javlaíakín View Post
Yeah, I'll check it out! ^^

Wow, look at this review. I feel spoiled now... O_O

EDIT: You know the author interviews at Serebii? We should do those here, lol. Maybe make the Fanfiction boards more popular? ^^;

The thing is, Kayden, there aren't enough authors to interview. Also, there aren't enough people to read them. Than again, you never know.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
The thing is, Kayden, there aren't enough authors to interview. Also, there aren't enough people to read them. Than again, you never know.
Which is exactly why we need to make fanfiction more popular and higher-standard here, like it USED to be. :/ Maybe if we had more rule-enforcement, newbies would start posting at least decent fics. Then it might draw attention back here.

Oh, HMG, why did you have to leave? :(

There might not be that many people to interview, but it would be fun knowing everybody's opionion(sp?) on stuff.

EDIT: The Moderators need to come to this board more often, too. If we had our old fan-fic mods, all of these n00by fics would be gone within a few minutes...

yeah yeah yeah

Last edited by Kayden Javlaíakín; 07-14-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden Javlaíakín View Post
Which is exactly why we need to make fanfiction more popular and higher-standard here, like it USED to be. :/ Maybe if we had more rule-enforcement, newbies would start posting at least decent fics. Then it might draw attention back here.

Oh, HMG, why did you have to leave? :(

There might not be that many people to interview, but it would be fun knowing everybody's opionion(sp?) on stuff.

EDIT: The Moderators need to come to this board more often, too. If we had our old fan-fic mods, all of these n00by fics would be gone within a few minutes...
:/ Having them all closed or deleted isn't necessarily a solution. It's better to tell them what they're doing wrong.

Considering I mod fanfics at Serebii, I can tell you that some people can improve if they're given very careful criticism, but it's a guarantee that they never will if you just close the thread and tell them "Go learn how to write."

Last edited by Dragonfree; 07-15-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Though lack of modship contributes, all the good authors that frequent the fanfic board need to do is tell the authors what, how, and why to improve. We can only do that and hope they improve.

As Dragonfree said, closing stuff just because it is bad writing is not a good reason. We should try and encourage people to improve.

About the lack of good authors: you forgot Dragonfree and IceKing, though they stopped posting there fics here a few months back, so I guess they don't really count.

Maybe we could somehow lure Serebeii authors over here or something...

A way to make it more popular, in my opinion, would be to add a sub-forum. Unfortunately, the idea was given up when it was put on the discussion floor in TMI.

Also, the lack of a FF thread in TMI just shows how unpopular and non high-standard the 'fic board is.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptile Frost View Post
Though lack of modship contributes, all the good authors that frequent the fanfic board need to do is tell the authors what, how, and why to improve. We can only do that and hope they improve.

As Dragonfree said, closing stuff just because it is bad writing is not a good reason. We should try and encourage people to improve.

About the lack of good authors: you forgot Dragonfree and IceKing, though they stopped posting there fics here a few months back, so I guess they don't really count.

Maybe we could somehow lure Serebeii authors over here or something...

A way to make it more popular, in my opinion, would be to add a sub-forum. Unfortunately, the idea was given up when it was put on the discussion floor in TMI.

Also, the lack of a FF thread in TMI just shows how unpopular and non high-standard the 'fic board is.
I didn't stop posting my fics here. I just haven't been writing that version of The Quest for the Legends recently.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
katiekitten Offline

...All of the different versions confuse me. >.< I read the version here, went to Serebii to read the rest, and got lost. It was very different...

Meh, I'm not going to be active that much anymore. ;_;

Banner by me. Image used in banner by sakimichan on subeta. Character is mine. =3

Yoru Ryu ~ Rar-roX
Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Dragonfree Offline
Experienced Trainer

Yes, it was very different. Don't attempt to mix them up.

@_@ Must... finish... chapter... before... going... to... Australia...

Old 07-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Mmm, have fun there, Dragonfree.

Thing is... it's much harder to close a fic than it is to close a spammy thread in some random place. To me, it's hard because you know that if you close it, you're essentially killing that person's inspiration to write and you could be ending their passion to continue writing and then be overcome with the belief that they'll never be any good.

Second, problem is, some people believe that it's possible to be instantly good, which is never the case. I honestly don't believe anyone is really a "natural" a doing anything, at one moment the person may appear to know what they're doing but its only because they've either done something very similar to it in the past, or it's only one visible aspect they can cover well when really there may be so much more that's wrong with their performance.

As for the TMI section, I can honestly say, all of TMI has pretty much become inactive except for the radio shows.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

Nya.................I suck at writing. So far all my stories i have put up here die. It makes it hard to continue writing because I don't know if people like it, what to change and so on and so forth. I'm working on a new story called From Legend 2 Common. I honestly doubt anyone will read it but meh. I have literally taken every good idea out of my head and put them up here.

-Anger Unleashed (no one replied anymore and I had trouble writing more to it because I kept thinking that no one would read it and it would of just been a waste to write it)
-A Prison of Hatred (never put up because it was the sequal to Anger Unleashed)
-War (I couldn't figure out any more of it)
-The Fifth Type (a bad idea from the start)
-A Day in the Life of a Meowth (though a very popular RPG, it was not very good as a story)
-Genetic Code (I'll try to continue this. It was the second most popular story at an old site last year. I hope that it doesn't turn out like my other stories)

All my best ideas are right there. I can't think of any more. I've tried and I've tried and all I can come up with is my story I am working on right now.

From Legend 2 Common: Professor Alexander Fillmore, one of the leading experts in P.I (Pokemon Intellegence), has just found out how to successfully clone a Pokemon. He uses this knowledge and clones nearly all the legendary Pokemon. His reasons, to make a better life for the legends of the world. So they can roam the skys freely and without having to worry about being captured. Also it was for research. One of the legends cloned was a blue Mew by the name of Darskee. He was a friend of the Professor and agreed to be the first legend to be cloned. One day while traveling alone in the woods he has a vision set 10 years into the future. He fears this vision and goes into hideing. What could the vision have been and why does he fear it so much?

I want feeback on this very small summary I made of the story. I want to know if it sounds interesting or if it is another one of those stupid, pointless legendary stories that everyone writes. Because I will say this, no one is replying to any story I put up at any site anymore. Just like in real life, my stories online are being ignored and i am getting no where with them.

So tell me what you think of my new idea. Then tell me if I should just quit writting all together. Because so far mostly every single one of my stories have been nothing but complete failures. Just like the beginning half of my life.

(If I sounded upset it's because i am. Today has been nothing but sadness for me.)
Old 07-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Oh hi! My name is Bay! (waves)

Aw, don't be hard on yourself Rocket Meowth. I remember someone told me of how you write because you write for passion and not just for the readers. There was this one member in Serebii who has a story that had only a couple of reviewers. Did he quit writing because he has not have a lot reviews? No. He actually kept going. I forgot the name of the member though.

On the story summary you read, I think it's a good idea. I bet you will control the legendaries in the story pretty well, since you had some writing experience as it seems. Well, good luck on that!

About the closing fics thing Neo Pikachu, I agreed with you. Not everyone is going to be good at writing right away. The best us reviewers can do is tell them what they can improve and also at least let them have a chance. If we close the fic all of a sudden, then the writer will be heartbroken and give up on writing.

Oh, and I hope one of you guys will review my comedy one shot "Take Fifty Five!" It just came out today! ^^

Last edited by Bay; 07-17-2006 at 08:19 PM.