Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange_Flaaffy View Post
Most of the good (or better) fic readers are sixteen or older at PE2K...
You make me feel left out. :(

Quote:
Well, it was only a matter of time before the Rescue topic became a plotline in fanfic, Rocket was just lucky enough to get to it first ;).
I really need to print out RocketMeowth's and and Neo's new fics and read them...
I know what you mean. I've noticed that whenever a new game comes out, there are a storm of fanfics focussed around that theme, and then they die down, while the authors with more original ideas flourish. Soom MD will become like that. I bet that as soon as it comes out in English, someone will come and write a fanfic based completely and utterly on the storyline of MD.

Kind of sad if you ask me...

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspector View Post
You make me feel left out. :(
Sorry, I did think you were older...

Quote:
I know what you mean. I've noticed that whenever a new game comes out, there are a storm of fanfics focussed around that theme, and then they die down, while the authors with more original ideas flourish. Soom MD will become like that. I bet that as soon as it comes out in English, someone will come and write a fanfic based completely and utterly on the storyline of MD.

Kind of sad if you ask me...
I think that writing a story based on a game is only a good thing if you bring some new ideas to the table. That's part of the reason I am starting my MD fic now and plotting it. I like to use many of the little details about the pokemon world they present in a game and treat them like real world elements. That's part of the reason I am not going *too* far in plotting it before I can play it ;)..

The sad 'everything by the game' authors seem to only take everything that happens in a game at face value..I can't count how many times I have seen a R/S fic start with something like

'I was in the back of a truck. There were boxes. The truck stopped and we were at our new house.'

If I was writing a R/S fic (which I never will, I don't like the pokemon set in it all that much) I would at least be wondering what was in the boxes or spin a long funny tale of the characters mom's obsessive ceramic Sorelax figure collection that had grown so big they had to hire another truck just for them

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 09-01-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Quote:
Sorry, I did think you were older...

I think that writing a story based on a game is only a good thing if you bring some new ideas to the table. That's part of the reason I am starting my MD fic now and plotting it. I like to use many of the little details about the pokemon world they present in a game and treat them like real world elements. That's part of the reason I am not going *too* far in plotting it before I can play it ;)..

The sad 'everything by the game' authors seem to only take everything that happens in a game at face value..I can't count how many times I have seen a R/S fic start with something like

'I was in the back of a truck. There were boxes. The truck stopped and we were at our new house.'

If I was writing a R/S fic (which I never will, I don't like the pokemon set in it all that much) I would at least be wondering what was in the boxes or spin a long funny tale of the characters mom's obsessive ceramic Sorelax figure collection that had grown so big they had to hire another truck just for them
XD Heh, I MIGHT do a MD fic, I dunno. It might be fun, but I really want to finish Keepers before I plan anymore fanfics, you know? I also have to finish Long Road Home and False Apperances...but KotL is the one that's got me hooked now. And considering it's getting quite a few views (IMO lol), I'm glad people seem to like it so much.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

If I was a good girl I'd wait until Fable was done to start something MD-y..........But, fooie, anything worth doing well is worth doing slowly and carefully, right..right?
Um, well, my MD fic, I'm planning on making it a short story fic..Not as short as a one shot though
So it won't take me away from Fable long anyhow...

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 09-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

Yeah, my little baby fic is growing up. *Tears* One-hundred pages! Yippee doody dooda day! *Tears* One-hundred pages! (By the way, Volume One will be like a thousand pages.) (Take that all the uber-long ficcies!)

Yes, Chapter Nine Part One is up. And there's a gun! L!k3 @_@
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

I've never been good at really long stories...I think my longest was about sixty pages half finished. I love fanfic, but I could never see writing over a thousand pages on a single work, I guess becuase with a thousand pages I'd much rather write ten shorter stories :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 09-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

Hi there. I'm Draconic_Espeon, and I'm new to the site. I've written some fan fictions on other sites, but no Pokemon ones yet. I do have an idea, though, which is why I'm here. I want to see what some other people think of it.

If anyone has read the His Dark Materials series, the basic idea is similar to Lyra's world. If you haven't, I'll describe it in any case.

It takes place in our world, as apposed to the Pokemon world. There is a secret research facility doing experiments on children, trying to discover what exactly makes up a soul. In doing so, they often release the 'soul' from the body, thus forming two seperate, conscious beings bound by an invisible chain. The soul takes the form of one of any number of creatures, each with remarkable powers but with personalities that match that of the child's. The creatures that form are what we call Pokemon, but they will have another name for it. There will be something along the lines of evolution, probably involving puberty. But, that's just the basic plot. There'll have to be more to it.

That's all I've got for now. I really want to know what you people think. Does it sound good? Does it not sound good? Has it been done already? I'd like to know.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Well, it all comes down to your own writing style. When doing you own fantasy story mixed with pokemon elements its not always the best idea to base your plot too heavily on pre-existing novel elements since crossovers , even lose ones, can be a hard type of fic to write if you are not careful.
Like my pokemon Vampiric like story, I found that I have much more freedom for plotting if I did my best to stay away from the Ann Rice/Blade ideas ;).
A little more work, but much more rewarding IMHO...

As for if it is a good idea overall and if someone has done it before: I think every idea in fic has been done at least once in some fandom or another. What will make it a good or a bad story is not if it is a brand new idea but how that idea is written. I have seen many many great ideas die from not so good writing.
So I can't really say if you idea is a good one if I have not read it yet :). (And more than just a prologue to, often prologues are amazing and the actual first chapters don't quite live up to their dramatic effect. But in a really good fic they do :) )

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art
Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Shiny Loser Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Shiny Loser Send a message via Yahoo to Shiny Loser

Check out my fanfic!

Hehh... four word rule..
Old 09-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Loser View Post
Check out my fanfic!

Hehh... four word rule..
And, ironically it's still spam. (That means I'll take a look at it.)

Anyway, an original idea, when done right, can be very popular. But so can a game-based fic, such as Hoenn: A Brendan and May Adventure. In fact, almost all of the well known fics are those that are journey fics. So original ideas can be good, but cliche can be just as good, when done right.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Draconic_Espeon Offline

Send a message via AIM to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via MSN to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Yahoo to Draconic_Espeon Send a message via Skype™ to Draconic_Espeon

Thanks! I'll definately try to keep all that in mind when I write it.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 AM
Aurabolt Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Aurabolt Send a message via MSN to Aurabolt Send a message via Yahoo to Aurabolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconic_Espeon View Post
Thanks! I'll definately try to keep all that in mind when I write it.
Hmm...

I've read some pretty good ones so far ;)

Has anyone read mine? They're in the archive and I've been getting ALOT of feedback from other sites I've advertised my work on XD

Aurabolt and Victor are looking for YOU...
Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
Has anyone read mine? They're in the archive and I've been getting ALOT of feedback from other sites I've advertised my work on XD
Hey, I took a look at them. But how about you post them here as well? I mean, PE2K can take all the fics we can get. And they look pretty good.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 PM
katiekitten Offline

*rises from the dead*

XD

Sorry, I've been away a while. Looks like this forum is getting a little more active, Yay! XD

...So how is everyone?

Orange, you writing Fable again? *goes to check* =D

Banner by me. Image used in banner by sakimichan on subeta. Character is mine. =3

Yoru Ryu ~ Rar-roX
Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekitten View Post
*rises from the dead*

XD

Sorry, I've been away a while. Looks like this forum is getting a little more active, Yay! XD

...So how is everyone?

Orange, you writing Fable again? *goes to check* =D
I should be. I want to...so many..good..ideas..must...get..in..mindset...of... Fable...
*hugs her some Nathan character* *looks at all the characters left to intro* Wow O.O...
Fable isn't written in my normal 'writers voice' so starting up on it again after a while is always more work than the actual writing once I get started...So if it sounds a little rusty in tone when I start again please bare with me okay?:)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art