Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Creative Writing » Author's Corner

Author's Corner Share your ideas with other members and come here for helpful writing tips.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via MSN to Deathspector Send a message via Yahoo to Deathspector
Default Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Thanks Neo, for that review. I was sort of giving up on that fic, truth be told (meh, just noticed your reference to Trial of Juno), but the review made me wonder if it was worth giving up, after all the hard work I put into writting that plot. I guess there are times when someone's review at your work (whether bad or good) spurs you on to write more. *runs off to write next chapter*

Oh, and I'll be looking forward to your newest fic. And I'll definitely post in that. I've read the original Trial of Juno trilogy, and now I have to get down to The seconds promise. But before even that, I need to finish Betrayal, or at least continue it...

And I guess I'll look at the audio version of Evolution. I have nothing else to do, and it sounds interesting.

DS

// The Poet Of The Fall \\
^ Last update: 22 June 2009 ^
Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Yeah, when I review, I'm not an extreme stickler for spelling and grammar, most of the time its just a simple error that was just a mistype on behalf of the author. I'd rather review on the core concepts of the story itself, that's just the way I prefer to review stories.

As for a new fic, I'm still working on some ideas. Like I told RM, writing Trial of Juno II was great because I knew exactly what I wanted to do with that story and exactly how I wanted to end it way before I even got to that point. Now... this is a little tougher trying to start over with some new ideas, but I think I can get there.

Heck, Trial of Juno wasn't intended to become what it had become when I first started it. I guess I could apply that here as well...

Old 08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Pikachu View Post
Yeah, when I review, I'm not an extreme stickler for spelling and grammar, most of the time its just a simple error that was just a mistype on behalf of the author. I'd rather review on the core concepts of the story itself, that's just the way I prefer to review stories.

As for a new fic, I'm still working on some ideas. Like I told RM, writing Trial of Juno II was great because I knew exactly what I wanted to do with that story and exactly how I wanted to end it way before I even got to that point. Now... this is a little tougher trying to start over with some new ideas, but I think I can get there.

Heck, Trial of Juno wasn't intended to become what it had become when I first started it. I guess I could apply that here as well...
I know what you mean. It's the same thing for me. I'm writing Betrayal, and it's difficult to plan ahead. But with my one-shots, I know what's going to happen. It's not exactly like your example with ToJ, but somewhat like that.

DS

Old 08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

I got up 2 new chapters to my story last night. I focused a lot on what you guys said i needed work on.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Kayden Javlaíakín Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMeowth View Post
I got up 2 new chapters to my story last night. I focused a lot on what you guys said i needed work on.
GAH! I completley forgot I was going to read your fic, RM!
I'll be there. ;)

yeah yeah yeah
Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
RocketMeowth Offline
Spazztacular

Send a message via AIM to RocketMeowth Send a message via MSN to RocketMeowth

lol, well I hope you like it Kayden. I am working on the next chapter now.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:06 AM
HondoomMaster Offline

Send a message via AIM to HondoomMaster
Talking Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Hey everyone how is it going? So far I have gotten great responses to my new fic and I hope everyone is enjoying the read. I feel like its almost the best one I have done, I still think Nick's Pokemon Journey is the best, I mean the Original one...not the most recent. Thank you for the feedback and continue cause it helps me, please :).
Old 08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

I'm up to review one more story on request, if any one wants it. I'm still trying to work on this new fic of mine, I'd like to have at least a couple chapters in before I begin posting. There's been times I've started a story with only two chapters and never even got further than that.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Bay Offline
Master Trainer

Quote:
I'm up to review one more story on request, if any one wants it. I'm still trying to work on this new fic of mine, I'd like to have at least a couple chapters in before I begin posting. There's been times I've started a story with only two chapters and never even got further than that.
I am actually having the same situation as you Neo Pikachu.

After I had finished "Heart of the Sea" (my very first fanfiction I wrote, which is in Serebii) and "Take Fifty Five", I tried to plan out this new idea for a chaptered fic that I thought of a long time ago. Now I can't seemed to get the story really planned out yet. Yeah, the feeling of finishing one fanfiction and then trying to do another.

Oh, and RM, I will try to finish reviewing your story as soon as possible. I was actually reading some of Chapter Four until a few relatives came to my house. Don't worry, I will have it done by tonight.

+Nothing, Everything+

Chapter Thirteen: It's All a Contest up (12/28/08)
Old 08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
I know the feeling. The same thing happened to me when I first tried to post Betrayal, ages and ages ago. I had the first Chapter, plus the Prologue written out, and I never managed to write much more than that.

Oh, and RM, I've been meaning to read and review the latest couple of Chapter's from your fic, but everytime I decide on doing that, something else catches my eyes. I'll get to that right away.

DS

Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Sceptile Frost Offline
Elite Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Sceptile Frost

I too know the feeling of wanting to right more that a chapter or two before I post. Thus, if you look in my folder on the computer, you will see about twenty prologues and first chapters, but nothing more.

Hey all! How's it going?

Just to let you know, I posted a one-shot, called Jump, a while ago.

Neo, good luck on writing that fic. I can bet it'll be excellent.

Hows about a question?

What is your favorite genre and why?

My answer:

My favorite genre is journey fics! They are easy to write, but hard to master. There's a general formula for them, but you can write them in so many ways. Its really a good genre to write in because the megaplot is somewhat layed out, leaving lots of time to develop characters and describe battles and settings. Also, journey fics can have twists and plots of almost any genre.

And though you'd think journey fics are shunned by the general populace, most fics that are remembered and written very well are journey fics.

--

So there's my two cents. (Maybe twenty, but who cares?)
Old 08-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Anything Adventure/Fantasy, something around there. First point being, this is where things can really break the limits and ideas can be taken outside the box. Also, Pokémon battles usually aren't just for the sake of having a battle, they happen because of a conflict of interest, the best battles possible. This also can focus more on Pokémon as characters with personalities, traits, and individuality, and not just be for battling purposes. Plus, it also shows the author is willing to take Pokémon somewhere they haven’t been before. I feel the true core of imagination lies in this genre.

Horror fics usually don't appeal to me. They have to be written really, really well for them to be good, and the writer has to be extremely careful not to be too cliché, or they'll kill their own fan fiction. Also, it has to be diabolically clever and the plot needs to be well designed. Pointless murder sprees aren’t good, that shows you’re only trying to just make the story a blood bath rather than actually go somewhere with it.

At least favorite, sorry guys, are trainer fan fictions. So many of them exist, and so many of them don’t bring anything new or interesting to the table. The old gym badge collection spree gets tiring quickly. Battles are often for no good reason, plot is constricted from going to one town to the next, and everything that we’ve done in the games is simply being rehashed in story form.

Point being, I like seeing new and interesting things done with Pokémon in stories.

Also, FYI, I'm writing Chapter 3 of this new story. I'm not too sure of the title yet, or if I'll keep going with it, but so far...

1. Yes, its based off of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game series. However, I don't expect this to be finished before the games are actually released, so don't be surprised if only bits and pieces of this actually follow the flow of the games.

2. Even though its based off of the games, I expect things to change later on. The story may evolve into something bigger, I'll see as time goes on.

3. It's also meant to be more on the comical side. Trial of Juno was dark and morbid, this will be more uplifting, and maybe even humorous at times.

That's it so far. I won't say anything else, I'd hate to spoil this story before its even begun.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Isaac Gravity Offline
Experienced Trainer

My favorite genre would overall be Adventure/Supernatural stories. Maybe its the sci-fi geek in me, but I really get a kick out the use of the feelings of the "unknown" in stories like auras, entities, the mystery surrounding in what we dream. I never get tired of those things and enjoy centering around such themes if I write. Adventure (mostly in the form of a boy's adventure) keeps things fun but open to a lot of action.

I really have no problem with uses of clichés (if anything, I enjoy them and despite many hating them and being so preachy about it, I see nothing but those said things in their works) as good things started somewhere but rather than try to mold it their own, others would just take it and use it with nothing else to it simple as that.

As far as Pokemon goes, journey fics are the dominate sources and for a lot of understandable reasons. I really have no hold against them.

If there is a genre I dislike, it’s romance. Now, I have nothing against the development of emotion for anything, but full-out romance stories and those problematic triangle stories just seem to be a “easy-way-out” to gain fast fame in a said community. This feeling of mine is usually buffered by the overt character hate/making a total saint. That and the story is kinda out there for me.

Dreams are dreams. Reality is reality- Distanced Hurricane
Welcome to your new life- Bone Chant! (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
What is a Hero?- Unwavering Breeze
Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Deathspector Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

What is your favourite genre and why?

Non-Pokemon/Animč-wise

Fantasy. True, there have been millions and millions of clichčd fantasy plots. A young peasant find out that his parents aren't really his realy parents, and he is actually related to the king that he hates. He is given something of great power, and needs to fight against an evil force, with elves and dwarves. But I still feel that Fantasy has so much potential. Look at Tolkiean, adn what he did with fantasy. Look at Rowling and what she did with fantasy. From a poor nobody, se became someone richer than the queen of England, and more money than many people.

The reason why fantasy appeals to me so much, is that it is not true. With fantasy, as Neo said, you can push the boundaries, and create your own things. Like in poetry, where you are allowed to make up your own words, as long as the reader understands it. Fantasy is the same. You can creat your own things, while the reader must still be able to understand. I also feel that fantasy is one of the hardest genres to write. many people will disagree with me, but I feel that it is easier to draw from your won experience if you don't write fantasy. You can always think Hmm, now what would I have done if I had a gun at my chest? But you can't think What would I do if there was a fire-breathing dragon in front of me?

Romance is not one of my favourite genres, as it is usually extremely morbid, from begining to end. At least fantasy is only morbid at the end. XD. But I don't hate romance. I believe that it's extremely difficult to write, and I admire those who manage to pull it off in an un-clichčd manner. It's difficult to show surprises with romance, because everything moves slowly. Even emotions. Especially emotions. But there are a few elite authors who have pulled it off, and I take my hat off to them, if I had a hat...XD

Pokémon-wise

Adventure by far. The thing with Adventure, which is unlike many other Pokémon-related genres, is that there is an almost limitless posibility of things you can do. It is such a massive genre, that there is so much things to do that are not over-done with, that experienced and good authors can create a completely original fanfiction from this genre. The thing witn Adventure, is that it has to be linked with another genre, be it Action, Fantasy or Mystery. But I have seen a couple of adventure fics that don't link the genre's together, and they are remarkeable.

I have nothing against Trainer Fics, but I feel that they are overdone. But as Frost and Skottie have prove if you work hard, and have a big imagination, you can make then just as original as other stories. The only prblem with that, is that young and inexperienced authors tend to keep their Journey fics so clichčd, that it hurts to read. But they soon learn. As countless of authors have said before me, the plot seems to already be layed out for the author, and thy just go along with the usual stereo-typed fiction. But the again, good authors can change that to their advantage, chaging a Journey fic about collecting badges, and defeating the Elite Four to comething much better.

Mystery and Pokémon just don't fit. There are only two authors capable of writing good Mystery stories. Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie. XD

End Answer

Also, I forgive the lateness of Chapter five of Betrayal. I've been preocupied with watching all these sad and morbid movies, and just wasn't in the mood for writing Betrayal. More in the mood for Writing Don't Cry Misty II. Hey...that's an idea! I can do a trilogy, or series of One-shots, like Knightblazer on SPPF! OMG! I mentioned the forbiden "S" word. Forgive me oh master Ryan.

DS

Old 08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Hakken Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Send a message via AIM to Hakken Send a message via MSN to Hakken Send a message via Yahoo to Hakken
Talking Re: Fan Fiction Chat/Feedback

Hi! i'm new, and i was just hoping to find someone to read and rate my first fic, Agatha's tears. you can usually find it among the top fanfics since i like always am editing something .
That and the banner i had got lost. eh..
anyways...
If you like what you see there, be sure to read Silver's escape, which is going to have lots'o chapters full of stuff a similar style. uh.. yeah.