Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Send a message via AIM to Nefarious
Default Re: TMI: Art Department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi
I feel bad for not posting in this at all...I apologize.

I'm waiting for my family to get a scanner so I can finally enter the monthly art contests. Otherwise, I am not sure how I can help with the Art forums yet.

So, is there anything I could do now that would be of some help?
Well if you have any dieas post them now. ;)

And Sky Girl, I don't know what's keeping Ryan. He has agreed to fix the boards the way we intended them, and I am still awaiting the approval of a sprite board. So far there is no confirmation that there will be a sprite board.

Look for more updates on the art section as they are available.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

I talked with Ryan about these updates.

He plans on doing them all this weekend. In addition, I presented to him Nefarious' idea of adding a contest sub-board. He agreed.

Look forward to seeing a few changes to the art section this weekend.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Sweet! The art section is finally getting some well deserved changes. Thanks Harry. ;D And thanks to Ryan also.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

All right, we finally have the changes we wanted on the art boards, and we even have a new contest section. Still no word on the sprite board though.

I'm know that we can expand the art section to be even more active and energetic, so let's get some more ideas.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious
I'm know that we can expand the art section to be even more active and energetic, so let's get some more ideas.
Maybe a member-created tutorials section/thread? I guess some people would like to see exactly how other people got those kinds of effects on their banners and such.

Just a suggestion though, but it could be really helpful for those looking for a new banner design as well as people trying to learn Photoshop or similar graphic arts program.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

I was thinking the same thing a while back. But I don't think a thread would work. We'd need a board for it.

Or, people can just make their own tutorials, and then we add the link to a thread. It'd be an archive. We don't have enough tutorials to do that right now though.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Well, it was just a thought. I know people aren't too big on making tutorials but you never know when it could become a trend.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:04 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Another thought. Now, PE2K isn't a well known pokemon forum compared to the popularity of Serebii and PC. Certainly we are #3 in rank, but that doesn't seem to mean much if no one knows about us.

Our art section falls under a similar situation. We have perhaps the most art competitions out of any pokemon forum, but few people know this and thus don't enter because they don't know about the competitions.

We need to get our name out somehow and let people know that PE2K exists. Our art section is quite strong in terms of our competitions and we can use this strength to draw members in. The only question is how.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

The question is: how to do it tactfully.
We can't very well go around to these forums and advertise without looking like complete tools. I guess we could go and look around and "scout for talent". You know, find a few people and PM them about contests or something.
I don't know, that doesn't sound like too great an idea either.

Oh I got it. If you are active at these forums you could have link in your sig.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Incongruity Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Incongruity Send a message via MSN to Incongruity Send a message via Yahoo to Incongruity

If anything, our sprite section is "strong" in that there's an abundance of sprites, whether good or bad.

If you mean to say our art competition is strong, just stop for a second and look at the latest Smeargle's Art Challenge. Or perhaps the TMI BOTW w/ no entries (As of the moment I post this)

I, for one, don't like entering because so often the theme is idiotic and at best a decent piece can be made for it within a week. (Smeargle's Art Challenges generally have even worse themes which render the extra time completely useless)

For the tutorial idea, I suppose you could do that... but I don't think you realize how difficult it is to make a good tutorial. First of all you need to think of a unique effect, instructions that are easy to understand, and then the most time-consuming yet most valuable part, pictures that can guide the reader through the tutorial.

Edit: I don't mean to be a pessimist, I just don't want you guys to fool yourselves.

Last edited by Incongruity; 01-28-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk1911
If anything, our sprite section is "strong" in that there's an abundance of sprites, whether good or bad.

If you mean to say our art competition is strong, just stop for a second and look at the latest Smeargle's Art Challenge. Or perhaps the TMI BOTW w/ no entries (As of the moment I post this)

I, for one, don't like entering because so often the theme is idiotic and at best a decent piece can be made for it within a week. (Smeargle's Art Challenges generally have even worse themes which render the extra time completely useless)

For the tutorial idea, I suppose you could do that... but I don't think you realize how difficult it is to make a good tutorial. First of all you need to think of a unique effect, instructions that are easy to understand, and then the most time-consuming yet most valuable part, pictures that can guide the reader through the tutorial.

Edit: I don't mean to be a pessimist, I just don't want you guys to fool yourselves.
As I said to Harry in an AIM chat, mini banners would help, displaying different things going on here at PE2K. Different mini banners would attract various people.

As for the themes for the contests, I keep telling everyone that theme suggestions are always welcome, but nobody will come forward. I'm sure many people have many ideas for themes, yet nobody will give their ideas. In order for these contests to thrive, it's not just up to one person to run it, it requires a lot of people coming together to make it be as best as it can be. So far, this hasn't been the case for any of the contests, which is why the contests failed in the first place. But now they're back up and we can make them better. We just need more support.

For the tutorials, we'll never have as many artists as a graphics forum does, so we'll probably never have as many tutorials either. And the way the tutorials are made are also going to be different. Still, we can do with what we have and try.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Incongruity Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Incongruity Send a message via MSN to Incongruity Send a message via Yahoo to Incongruity

UBER cool idea that's semi-relevant!!

Has anyone thought of asking ryan to allow .swf files in banners? Personally, I have yet to pirate flash nor do I plan to at the time, but I've seen some amazing things done with flash banners. First of all the animations are infinitely better than imageready animations and they're not much larger in size when they're short repetitive loops. In the case of short movies/games/music, loading could be made optional (w/ a button) so that it wouldn't lag the entire page.

thoughts?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Nefarious Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk1911
UBER cool idea that's semi-relevant!!

Has anyone thought of asking ryan to allow .swf files in banners? Personally, I have yet to pirate flash nor do I plan to at the time, but I've seen some amazing things done with flash banners. First of all the animations are infinitely better than imageready animations and they're not much larger in size when they're short repetitive loops. In the case of short movies/games/music, loading could be made optional (w/ a button) so that it wouldn't lag the entire page.

thoughts?
Seeing flash banners on the forum sounds intruiging. But it seems like NP is the only one to own the program atm. I don't see why they shouldn't be aloud though, unless someone puts a 30 minute movie as their sig. =P It would be cool to see them as contest entries also, even though they'd pwn everything else there.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

The only problem with Flash banners is that the Flash file could have malicious coding into it that could do a number of things including forced installs of viruses. But I honestly doubt anyone here knows that much AS to be able to code something like that.

It's a good idea though, but barely anyone here has Flash.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Incongruity Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious
Seeing flash banners on the forum sounds intruiging. But it seems like NP is the only one to own the program atm. I don't see why they shouldn't be aloud though, unless someone puts a 30 minute movie as their sig. =P It would be cool to see them as contest entries also, even though they'd pwn everything else there.
I'm sure if we allowed .swf banners, there would be a mad rush to pirate flash and it would be the new cool-but-not-so-cool thing.

And obviously, .swf is open to abuse, but then again, people wouldn't. They wouldn't abuse for the same reason someone doesn't put a transparent 1x10000 gif in his sig. Of course, my point will be semi-destroyed soon as pidge reads this, makes a transparent 1x10000 gif, and puts it in his sig.

About the virus thing: yea, I don't find any real solution to that other than hoping it doesn't happen