Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Finglonger
Default Nature versus Nurture

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on a very popular debate in the psychological and scientific community. The argument centers on whether or not humnan are more prominently defined by their genetics or the environment in which they were raised in.

I'll give you my opinion somewhere down the line, discuss amongst yourselves.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
lalala Offline
Banned

Default Re: Nature versus Nurture

Lalala belives that genetics will give you your base personality, like caring, funny, nice ect and Nurture will give you the finer details as well as phobias or medical conditions that will affect your personaliy.

Simply put, Lalala thinks that both are as important as each other.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Hypocrisy is Fun Offline

Send a message via AIM to Hypocrisy is Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finglonger
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on a very popular debate in the psychological and scientific community. The argument centers on whether or not humnan are more prominently defined by their genetics or the environment in which they were raised in.

I'll give you my opinion somewhere down the line, discuss amongst yourselves.
Can you please dumb that down for me? This looks interesting, but I just have no idea what says.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Dakota Offline
Banned

Nature

When you're born a boy, you will be a boy the rest of your life. Now you can act like a girl by dressing up as one, talking like one, becoming gay etc. But seeing as you'll always have an XY chromosome, you'll always be a boy.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 PM
Seven Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Nature

[...] Now you can act like a girl by dressing up as one, talking like one, becoming gay etc.eing as you'll always have an XY chromosome, you'll always be a boy.
Am I the only one who finds this funny, ignorant, and just plain sad at the same time?

* - as if anyone still reads OD - *
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

youre not alone seven...

and dakota youre missing the point entirely..this is not about gender issues, but if you want to make it one then discuss the drives that prompt you to have gender confusion issues.

Can one be born to have a gender issue? is it a genetic thing?

or is it based on the environment you were raised in?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Send a message via AIM to Nasty Plasty Send a message via MSN to Nasty Plasty

Nurture

You arent born a spoiled brat. But when you`re parents/guardians dont discipline you and cave in when you cry.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

true, but who is to say that the person who becomes a brat isn't born with a natural disposition to be greedy? are you trying to say that all children with indulgent parents become spoiled brats? or that all children without indulgent parents are not brats? either way you would be incorrect on that one.

In my opinion nature and nurture compliment eachtoher...genetics provide natural dispositions and environemnt either fosters them or nullifies them depending on the strength of the genetic disposition
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Well..uh uh well you got me there. But I dont nescessairly mean that kids who get disciplined arent brats either. It`s just parents seem to be a cause of a kid`s attitude(not when they`re 4 or 5 but like 8 or 9) because my teacher says that i I parent is racist then a child has a 50% chance to be one too.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Finglonger Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

well yeah, but that depends on the childs natural disposition. is he or she easily susceptible to new information? if not then it is very likely that the child will inherit the parents views. also it depedns on the environment outside the home, level of exposure to contrary ideas etc etc
Old 11-15-2005, 01:50 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

True,very true. Though the most crucial time is ages 0 months to 1 year old. That`s when I child is at a "Character clay time" when if you are wise you could take advantage of this and start teaching the child and telling it about manners. Also, sometimes a child in the womb picks up traits from other people.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Surly Professor Offline
Monsterous
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Quote:
In my opinion nature and nurture compliment eachother...genetics provide natural dispositions, and environment either fosters them or nullifies them depending on the strength of the genetic disposition
Yeah, it's probably about 50/50. But just to be sure, we should preform some horrifying experiments on infants.

The good can decay many ways.
The good candy came anyways.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Nasty Plasty Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 5)

Okay, here`s the experiment. We put an infant alone in a room with you for 1 year. Then we put another infant in a room with it`s parents.(21 years later) Surly`s infant is in prison for trying to rob McDonalds' the other infant is in college.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Dakota Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven
Am I the only one who finds this funny, ignorant, and just plain sad at the same time?

* - as if anyone still reads OD - *
Umm...I don't know what your problem is, but I was just stating my case, whereas you feel the need to ad hominem your way through it without adding anything to the debate at all.

The question was

Quote:
Are humans more prominently defined by their genetics or the environment in which they were raised in.
And I said that you will always be the physical gender that you are born as. I also added that people my try to change their sex by acting like the opposite sex, but they will always ultimately be the gender that they were born.

Quote:
and dakota youre missing the point entirely..this is not about gender issues, but if you want to make it one then discuss the drives that prompt you to have gender confusion issues.
Then you should reword your question. And the title of this thread O_o
Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Seven Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Umm...I don't know what your problem is, but I was just stating my case, whereas you feel the need to ad hominem your way through it without adding anything to the debate at all.
My my, aren't we feisty -_-. First of all, I'd hardly call what you said a case. Saying ignorant and just plain untrue things isn't exactly case-worthy. I don't mean to turn this into a "why are people gay" debate - but I'm sure we can all agree that it is NOT as simple as you put it.
Second, I didn't want to participate in this debate because I already know how it will end eventually, so why should I bother? All of the posters will bring up some good points, and eventually it will be concluded that the domincance of either factor really differs per case >> temper and intelligence are based on genes ( nature ) for the greater part, whereas the wish to give to charity, for example, is based on the environment you were raised in (nurture).

Quote:
And I said that you will always be the physical gender that you are born as. I also added that people my try to change their sex by acting like the opposite sex, but they will always ultimately be the gender that they were born.
People who "act like the opposite sex" - let's say, transvestites - are fully aware of the fact that their actual sex hasn't changed :\. They're not retarted you know. Transexuals(something different) tend to get actual sex changes, through surgery. Granted, genewise these people would still be their old gender, but what does biological gender matter if one feels like the other?

Quote:
Then you should reword your question. And the title of this thread O_o
How o the words nature and nurture imply that this debate is about gender-related issues o_O?.

Last edited by Seven; 12-06-2005 at 12:30 PM.