Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84
Default WAR XII RP Brainstorming and Discussion

Welcome to the WAR RP Discussion. This thread is designed for us to exchange ideas for the WAR 12 RP. Please don't hesitate to post your ideas and comment on ideas that have already been posted.

After all ideas have been suggested and thoroughly explained through discussing it with other members, I will put up a poll to see which one is the most popular and then write a full plot based on that idea.

Here are my two ideas.

Idea 1: Pokémon x Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra

This can go two ways.

Way 1:

The worlds of Pokémon and Avatar have been smushed together by cosmic forces. Some humans have the power to "bend" or create elements, which will include bending Pokémon types associated with the bending discipline as well. I haven't fully worked it out, but here's some examples.This list needs to be finished, and currently is unfinished. Looking for suggestions of where each type goes.

Earth: Ground, Rock, Steel, etc.

Fire: Fire, Dragon, Electric, etc.

Air: Flying, Normal, etc.

Water: Water, Ice, etc.

There's no nations in the smushed world. Simply benders strewn about the world and people from PokeEarth endowed with bending. Throw in the Team conflict with them trying to take over the world or save it, and have at it.

We can throw an Avatar in here originating from Earth, but it's not that necessary.

The downfall of this story is that it needs a real plot besides just the dimensions getting smushed together, and maybe some kind of turmoil. The Fire Nation from Avatar: The Last Airbender is no longer hostile, the Equalists have been put down and their leader is dead, and Season 2 of Korra hasn't even come close to starting to air.

Way 2: I don't claim full ownership of this idea. In fact, I saw it on Facebook.

Forget the Bending World, and forget PokeEarth. We make up a new world where only Pokémon live. Once in a while, a Pokémon is born that can use attacks from all the types and also "bend" them. It goes something like this:

"Long ago, the 17 nations lived together in harmony. But everything changed when the Fire types attacked. Only Arceus the Avatar, master of all 17 elements could stop them. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. 100 years passed and my brother and I discovered the new Avatar, a Psychic type named Mew. And although her Psychic skills are great, she has a lot to learn before shes ready to save anyone. But I believe that Mew can save the world."

Here's how this is going to work. This is based on Avatar: The Last Airbender, but with Pokémon and types instead of 4 elements. Simple enough, and you really only need to be able to understand Pokémon. The Fire types are the bad guys and are out to kill Mew. We ally the typed nations in such a way to suit the Teams that form, but the bad guys must have the Fire types included. Multiple bad guys would be allied together with the Fire types. The types in your alliance govern what Pokémon types you will be allowed to use for your NPCs and players.

The good guys will be allied in such a way that they are supporting the Avatar and must help defeat the Fire alliance or alliances. Meanwhile Mew must find a teacher for attacks and bending from each type and will be traveling around all 17 nations while the conflict is going on.

No two Teams can choose to specialize in the same types.

Idea 2: Pokémon x Transformers (Prime Universe)

So instead of landing on Earth, the Autobots and Decepticons land on PokeEarth. The Decepticons are out to harvest Energon, which is their fuel and lifeblood. They need a supply of it to survive, like we need to eat and drink to be able to survive. Somehow a lot of it has appeared on PokeEarth. Let's just assume it was there before, for simplicity's sake. The Autobots and Decepticons find allies with the Teams currently trying to seize control of the world after governmental collapse. These sentient robots can be on any Team and provide their services to that Team.

The Teams could be out to use the Energon to power new and advanced technology, or to simply hoard it for themselves to make sure nobody else controls it. The Transformers are out to help the Team that they think would be able to offer them Energon to use, or they want a piece of the pie when the world gets conquered by said Teams.

Anything not understood I will explain or provide Wiki links for. Or you can Google it lol.

If you think you have a better idea for a WAR RP story, by all means present it for us to check out and discuss. DO NOT simply bash ideas without contributing anything to the discussion or post spam. Thank you for your cooperation.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Default Re: WAR XII RP Brainstorming and Discussion

I'm partial to the first Korra idea, with a couple of suggestions.

As to the elements: why would you need to sort the Pokemon types by element? It's not like the benders use moves. Just say Pokemon use types and bender use elements.

As to threats: Make it something a lot more insidious than the normal Avatar stuff. With the Fire Nation, it was easy to say,"Bad guy. Kill him dead." Even the Equalists had some form reliable identification. But, if you, say, make it a bad guy whose ranks are entirely filled by people you thought to be allies, it creates drama and torture and mistrust and all sorts of other fun stuff.

This also yields something else: you don't need a separate team for "the Threat." People can, on an individual basis per team, choose whether their character is a mole working for the mysterious bad guys, or is instead actually working for the team. That way, story focus is a lot more prevalent for rewarding points.

Last edited by Socratic Sarcasm; 03-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

Why are we doing crossovers? All that does is make the RP inaccessible to people and gives an advantage to those that know about both universes. It also makes it less fun for people that don't know or don't care about the other universe.

I'm going to write up my RP idea this weekend and post it up. It's based on the Pokemon ReBurst manga--should be cool.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 AM
CM Offline
Dungeon Master

Send a message via AIM to CM

I have to agree with Lord Celebi here. RPing is my thing, and those who RP with me (past or present) know I love a good crossover. But they are starting to get a tad overdone, and also I've seen quite a few bad ones. And by bad I mean there was no harmony between what was being crossed. It made no sense for the world it was being placed it. Plus not everyone likes crossovers, or if they do they may not like one or more of the parts in one. That's what happened with last year's WAR RP for me. I had considered joining WAR for the RP, but then when I saw the crossover I had to tell myself no since I had little knowledge on half of it and really didn't care for learning about it just to participate.

I honestly believe this year's WAR RP should not be a crossover. But that's just my opinion.

Lv100 @ 7896
~Links~
Old 03-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Putting my two cents forward.

To be honest, I don't like the idea of a crossover either. As Lord Celebi said, pushing a crossover forward forces those who don't know the other universe to have to research all the ins and outs of it in limited time, and for those that do know, they're a step ahead and have an advantage others don't. Second, people who don't like the alternate universe may feel alienated by it and as a result, may end up not taking part in it when they could have if only another universe wasn't mentioned. That's not something you want to do with the WAR RP.

The other point I want to make is that you really don't need to put it strictly into a crossover format to have the same effect. You can borrow ideas and themes from whatever inspirational source you're using and bend those into your storyline fairly easily if you use the right sources, allowing you to toss away all the needless stuff that doesn't need to be carried over. Such as if you make an RP about medieval heroes using weapons and dark magic to defeat demons and infernal cults, you can do that easily without stating that you got that inspiration from Diablo III and thus, you can dodge out of having to provide all the extensive detailed background on Diablo III's universe that is really not necessary to use for an RP like this. But pushing it into a crossover format forces everyone to have to read up on a batch of sometimes really lengthy wiki articles to make sure they get things exact, which isn't fun and fair when some people know the crossed universe and others don't. Therefore, the Avatar/Transformers ideas should be somewhat like those when the storyline is written up, but it should only use the necessary basics and concepts and be done in a way where everyone understands it right up front without wiki links and without people knowing exactly where you got your inspiration from. In other words, if you find there's no way to write up the RP without mentioning "Avatar" or "Transformers" while throwing links at people with the expectation that they now need to do hours worth of reading and research else they're screwed and they're not going to enjoy the RP, you're doing something wrong.

From a personal standpoint, I've watched pretty much all of Season 1 and 2 of Avatar and I'm not really that big on it. I also don't think it crosses over with Pokémon that well at all and I don't think it leaves much room for the WAR Teams to be incorporated besides shoving them into type designations that may have nothing to do with the nature of the team and seems pretty forced. As for the Transformers idea, it's all Transformers, almost nothing Pokémon about it besides the setting. I can easily see the Transformers pretty much hogging the spotlight throughout the entire thing.

All in all, I have to vote no for doing a crossover. We're perfectly capable of making something where that's really not necessary, as we have done in the past without much trouble at all. To me, a crossover should really only be a last resort option, and I would far rather hear ideas that are more original and don't need to rely on outside established universes to be enjoyed.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

You know, I was one of the people excited for a Korra/'Mon crossover... but I have to agree with what some of the others are saying. It really does make folks feel out of the loop when they're not part of one side of the fandom. That's probably one of the main reasons why I didn't participate the Sonic/Pokemon crossover last year. Honestly, I couldn't tell ya the first thing about Sonic--other than that it's Grassy's favorite game ;)

If you don't mind, there's this idea I want to throw out here (which Neo kind of mentioned):

Why not a medieval-themed Pokemon RP?

I wrote up this one RP quite a while back called "Knights of the Aura", and it had been inspired by some of the concepts in the Lucario movie. Basically it involved individuals--both people and Pokemon--who could tap into "aura" energy and use it like magic. Yet it was set in the Dark Ages, so there were swords, capes--but no Poke Balls or technology of any sort. It was a nice approach because folks could choose to be humans or Pokemon (Knight Pokemon could speak via telepathy because their powers over aura enhanced their psychic abilities as well).

I think that it could be adapted for team-based RPing--there could be different factions, folks who choose to use their abilities differently (or lack abilities all together), ect.

But hey, if you guys don't want to do medieval stuff... How about Steampunk? :D

Last edited by Charmander009; 03-28-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Finally forum stopped lagging for me!

I was just thinking benders were underpowered if they couldn't affect Pokémon attacks related to their bending discipline. That's really the only reason it's there. Can be taken out if you guys feel it needs to be.

I think the only reason last year's failed was cause it was meant to be a sandbox RP (All WAR RPs must be sandbox), and was being forced to be GM controlled. Anything outside Metal's plan was being called foul on, every time. The story itself was sound and could have been a smash hit. But that's just my opinion.

Korra 2 is the least crossover-ish of the bunch. None of these are finished. We can just finish them together or do something else. The point of this thread is to agree on something the majority likes, in a poll later.

The Aura story might be fun, Char. More details please.

So participate, people.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 03-28-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

@Bron: Ok, we're going to nip this in the bud. This is a "gathering ideas" thread. Not a "let's analyze what went wrong last year" thread, and especially not a "let's trash Metal" thread. You may have not intended your comment to come off that way, but quite frankly, it did.

@Char: My interest is officially piqued. Please, tell us more.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Winter Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Winter

No one said a thing about last year's RP failing, unless I missed something somewhere, Bron. There is absolutely no need to trash Metal because things last year didn't go very well. What everyone has been saying here is that maybe a crossover this year isn't a good idea because it can exclude people who don't know about the crossed over subject or don't like it. I can say firsthand that I ended up feeling that way about last year's WAR RP--I'm not a huge Sonic fan, and I was confused about half the stuff that was being posted at a speed that made things hard to follow, so I ended up dropping out.

If it's a popular idea, sure, go for it on the normal boards and see what you get, but I think a more solid Pokemon-only RP is the way to go for WAR. That being said, Char's idea certainly sounds interesting...it would be interesting to see how it was adapted, and Lord Celebi seems to have an idea as well, and I wouldn't mind seeing that, either.

Banner by me! | My dA | My FF.Net
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
bronislav84 Offline

I read CM as saying that it failed cause it was a bad crossover (Maybe I read that wrong? Sorry CM), and people seem to think crossovers inherently fail. Just had to explain that. And Sarcasm you're right, I didn't intend it as trashing Metal. So yea, now you're trashing me Winter, so forget that.

Let's wait for Char and rust to post their ideas.

Last edited by bronislav84; 03-28-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

I see nothing in Winter's post that reads as trashing you. The closest thing that she said was "There's no need to trash Metal." which is simply echoing my point. She's not intending to attack you, so there's no need for you to get defensive.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
CM Offline
Dungeon Master

Send a message via AIM to CM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
I read CM as saying that it failed cause it was a bad crossover (Maybe I read that wrong? Sorry CM), and people seem to think crossovers inherently fail.
I personally have yet to read the prompts here in full, so I cannot say personally as of yet that it's a non harmonious crossover. With last years because I am no fan of Sonic I didn't even read over the plot, so I cannot tell you if I thought it was a good crossover either, just to get that out of the way. I never meant to say that they'd fail right off the bat, and I apologize if it appeared that way. I was just trying to say that a crossover isn't the best idea for a WAR RP since you need people to be interested and know at least the important facts of all sides of the crossover. Some crossovers do fail because not everyone participating in the idea knows everything about one thing in the crossover or the topics being crossed were not blended smoothly. Other people might just turn away completely because one part of the crossover they dislike greatly while another part of it was what drew them in initially.

All I want to say is let's save a crossover as a last resort and see if there isn't something else we can do. I personally don't want to see a crossover again for WAR since last year's was one.

Lv100 @ 7896
~Links~

Last edited by CM; 03-28-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Char's medieval-themed RP sounds cool, though would it work to maybe add ninjas and samurai into that? Just tossing it out there. I'm just more of a fan of katanas than broadswords.

The other idea I have in mind is based on the Pixar movie Wreck-It Ralph. I'm not sure how many people have seen it (it's awesome by the way), but its setting is interesting for the fact that it takes place in an arcade that has some interesting things going for it. At night, the characters from the different arcade games can leave their games and mingle/socialize with each other, as well as travel to different games by a subway-like tram that takes them to the surge (called Game Central Station) that all the games are connected to, which works like a central train station that links to all the other games in the arcade. Meanwhile, each game connected to the surge has its own station gate. As a side note, characters can die in their own game with little consequence and simply respawn again, but if they die outside of their game, they don't regenerate. Also, some of the characters have access to make adjustments with their game's coding and programming.

In the movie, the characters have to be wary about letting their game go "out of order," which could result in the game getting unplugged, the characters being left homeless at the surge terminal, or even worse, dead if they can't leave their game before the plug is pulled. The games typically go "out of order" when the characters start getting careless, become missing in action, become confrontational in each other games, causing mishaps, glitches, and other anomalies that make the players/arcade owners think there's something wrong with the game.

In terms of a WAR RP idea that I had that relates to this, we could have this same kind of setting where each of the WAR Teams are basically transcribed into their own video arcade game (in this case, the team would make up what kind of game they are and wouldn't use a real, already existing game, although they would be free to make something very similar to a real game). In Wreck-It Ralph, there are a few fictitious games that kind of mirror real games, such as "Hero's Duty" being pretty similar to Gears of War and Halo while "Sugar Rush" is pretty much Mario Kart in a Candy Land setting. But in this, the teams can create what kind of world their game is, what their characters are in terms of the game's theme, and so forth and so on, really only limited by their imaginations. A WAR Team could make their arcade game world based on a cute racing game, a mature first person shooter, a classic-style beat 'em up, a fighting game, or just about anything with any kind of theme. To me, I would love to see what kind of games people turn their WAR Teams into.

Incorporating Pokémon is pretty easy. Sure, Pokémon doesn't take an arcade game form, but there's nothing stopping it from being plugged into the surge and thus, become connected to the rest of the arcade and thus, allow its characters to socialize with the other characters. In some cases, some of the game characters may decide to own Pokémon, but keep them hidden.

In terms of a storyline, we could say that said Pokémon version is of the Black/White 2 era. However, besides the Pokémon that appear in the game, there is something major about the game that makes it the main playing field. By chance, a 3DS was connected via a charge plug to the arcade's surge. And the 3DS has a connection to the Internet, a portal to an endless amount of resources from game updates, downloads, mods, and many other things that could be used to enhance the arcade games if the characters manage to bring them back. No other game in the arcade has that kind of access. And that's just the beginning to what a connection to the Internet has to offer.

However, attempting to access the Internet from the 3DS is tricky, and is tucked away in a secure and hidden place. But, every game in the arcade is in hot competition for access to the Internet's portal connection to secure it for themselves. With it, they can keep adding awesome new enhancements, content, and features to their game and never grow old, while the other games risk becoming obsolete in time and eventually become unplugged. And with that Internet connection, as we all know, comes a world of other possibilities that the other games can only dream of.

In the RP, each team will need to focus on attempting to obtain access to the Internet via the Pokémon game in the 3DS, but they will also need to defend their own game from those that would try to sabotage it or break into their game's programming to wreck it and force it into an "out of order" state. If you focus too much on offense to get to the Internet portal via the Pokemon game in the 3DS, you're leaving your home base game in serious risk.

Again, I hope I was able to explain this well enough to the point where those who haven't seen Wreck-It Ralph get the idea behind it. I recommend seeing the movie anyway just because it's really good and pretty funny in its own right, but hopefully I did an alright job explaining this where it's not a prerequisite.

Last edited by Neo Emolga; 03-28-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Alright I see what you're saying CM. Sorry I read you wrong, though.

Neo's idea I like so far and it sounds wacky enough to actually work.

Last edited by bronislav84; 03-28-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

I still think I prefer the medieval setting. Because, come on, magic.