Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron
Default Re: WAR XII RP Brainstorming and Discussion

@ Char - What, my favorite game? WHO TOLD YOU THIS. ;3

Hmmm, while I like the idea Neo, I worry it might take too long to set up, especially with the lag. That being said, I'm rather torn, as I have species I would like to use that I doubt I'll ever get to use XD

And...MAGIC. Who says your game can't center on that? XD But, medieval...Hmm.

Here's my question. Can I lead a giant faction of Aggron? >.>

Last edited by Grassy_Aggron; 03-29-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 AM
Dr Robotnik Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
I think the only reason last year's failed was cause it was meant to be a sandbox RP (All WAR RPs must be sandbox), and was being forced to be GM controlled. Anything outside Metal's plan was being called foul on, every time. The story itself was sound and could have been a smash hit. But that's just my opinion.
I would like to point out that the crossover was your idea to begin with. Don't go around insulting people, especially when you're still mad because I wouldn't let your OP characters in after you refused to weaken them.

I like Char's idea much better than any crossover stuff; crossovers can be kind of exclusive, you have to have to be a fan of both the shows to really know what's up and as we saw last year, that didn't work out so well. A medieval RP for Pokemon would be a lot of fun though; I remember from the movie with Mew and Lucario the big armies of Pokemon and I always thought that would be a lot of fun to RP out.

... And I could be a knight with a morning star and a small cute Pokemon for a partner.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Something with no futuristic weaponry at all whatsoever kthnxbai.

I like Char's idea as well. Doing something medieval would be neat, and it wouldn't be hard to figure out either. We have Conquest to help make a simple setting, and we can even combine some of the different styles of medieval ages or feudal Japan eras with their own little perks.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

I think a medieval setting could work pretty well. I figured you could make your team into a medieval fantasy game if we went with the Wreck-It Ralph setup, but if people want to cut out the laser guns and tanks, that's understandable.

If we go with the medieval setting, I'd maybe consider some other aspects.

Pokéball and Other Technology - Maybe remove the technological aspects of Pokémon, such as the Pokéballs, Technical Machines, and so on to have magical counterparts that essentially perform the same functions.

Races - Having a medieval fantasy RP does present the possibility of role playing as something besides other than a human, provided they're fair and don't have advantages that vastly overshadow the other races.

Magic - Magic comes in quite a lot of forms from shooting fireballs and other elemental attacks to illusions. Then you've got some pretty insane necromancy possibilities, and healing/clerical spells like healing wounds and raising the dead. I think it would be good to figure out what would be really cool to have, and what could definitely be taken off the list.

Magic should also have some kind of cost system as well, whether it's in the form of regents or heck, even forcing characters to shed some of their own blood or someone else's blood to cast a spell. Without a cost, it's too easy to launch a plethora of spammy spells everywhere.

Themes and Settings - You could have several kinds of settings beyond medieval. It could be typical medieval fantasy like what Elder Scrolls and Warcraft depict, or something in a darker, more dystopian setting, kind of like Diablo where demons and other dark monsters are running throughout the area, destroying everything and laying waste to many cities and towns.

You could also go for something exotic, like a medieval setting, but the setting is highly unusual. Something like having entire cities in the sky, and everyone has wings to fly with. Or it could be the same kind of thing, but underwater instead. The landscape can also be altered as well into something much more otherworldly.

---------------------------

I for one think different races could be neat to implement into the medieval setting, and replacing the technology with magical items and artifacts would be cool as well. Themes, I'm not sure yet. I'd have to brainstorm a little more.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Charmander009 Offline
WFL Official

Send a message via AIM to Charmander009

(Took forever to write this, so sorry if I skipped anyone)

I love Wreck-it-Ralph, I just gotta say--but, er... Neo? It isn't Pixar xD Just Disney ^^ (and sure, we can throw in ninjas ;) Heck, a ninja might even be hiding in this post of mine... somewhere...)

I'll put out there that if we go with Neo's idea, there could be a medieval "game" if any faction wants to go that direction. I think it'd be a good method for combining all different kinds of genres/ideas in a plausible manner--good for a WAR setting. It could take some effort, like Grassy said, but it could be fun if we got it going ^^

So, er, I'll kind of delve deeper into my old idea here: the Lucario movie isn't fresh on my mind, but then again I seriously took some creative liberties when I came up with this story xD I put a link to the old thread in my last post but I'll post it here again (please pardon the dust--seriously, I wrote this a LONG time ago xD). At any rate, the RP took place in the Dark Ages of the Pokemon world--which were darker than ours, considering the fact that humans and Pokemon had to learn to how to live together. Both were more apt to fight back then, being more violent and fearful. Yet admists all the confusion and conflict, there were individuals who began to inherit special gifts over "aura". Because I'm too lazy to type it out, I'll quote how I defined aura in the old RP :P

Quote:
By definition, Aura is the energy that flows from all living things, a force that unites all. To those of unusual psychic sensitivity, it is discernable as a bright glow surrounding the subject. It is those people and Pokémon, though rare, who are recruited into the Knights of the Aura or the Order of Dusk. Some of them are born with the gift, while others earn it through spiritual enlightenment or intense meditation. Some can go their whole lives without unlocking their full potential, but with the right training one can learn to manipulate it. Aura can act like magic, pushing other forces into motion or controlling the elements around them. But in order to manipulate it, apprentices must be able to feel it aside from seeing it. Through training, they learn to improve their reflexes and sensitivity. Their sight becomes sharper, their hearing clearer, and their touch much more real. But also their sixth sense opens up: the psychic sense. Veteran Knights have learned to see the world in a different light, eyes closed or not.

(As a side note, any Pokemon can be a Knight, and all will be able to do an Aura Sphere. And humans--while they couldn't do quite that, they could use their aura as a shield or use it to befriend Pokemon Ranger-style through a specialized staff)
In the original RP, a group of these individuals came together and established order in the land, King Arthur-style. They were known as the Knights of the Aura, and they consisted of both Pokemon and humans who worked together to protect peace, ect. They had this code they followed based on principles of selflessness and honor which they were adamant at following at first, keeping to paths of light and justice.

In my story, there was a falling out that resulted in the founding of a group (the Order of Dusk) who practically went against everything the Knights stood for--but for the sake of this setting, we could simply say that the Knights started diminishing, and other groups started forming within the realm--and these could be the different WAR Teams perusing different goals.

I'm not sure what we could have be the driving force of the RP, though--in my story there was this dangerous weapon that the Order of the Dusk found, and the Knights stole. They fought over it until it ended up getting shattered and scattered across the realm. It was a bit of a race to see who would gather all the pieces up first. But I'm not sure if that's the direction you guys would like to go in. This point in time would be a really crucial one for the Pokemon world--one that would determine the outcome of the future. Perhaps there could just be some sort of struggle for power. (Heck, perhaps the Pokemon world might end up being ruled by Aggron overlords ;) )

But IDK, those are just some ideas ^^

Last edited by Charmander009; 03-29-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

If we do multiple races, we could rename them to fit a more Pokeverse style... like renaming elves something that is based on a Pokemon that has pointy ears? Like... Gardevoir? Voirians? I sunno just spit balling here.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Neku Sakuraba Offline
Sound Garden

Send a message via AIM to Neku Sakuraba Send a message via Skype™ to Neku Sakuraba

Alright, here's my one cent. JUST ONE. NOT TWO, AND CERTAINLY NOT FIVE.

For the technological advances such as Poke Balls and TMs, I agree with Neo, trash them. For the connection, I would think of something like a Conquest-esque style of communication and bonding. Maybe, the connection with aura can have the bonds that connect people and Pokemon. As for TMs, I would say what Ash or whoever would do in the anime: Have a Pokemon practice the move over and over again until they have it picture perfect. Or, at least the idea of perfection. After all of that training, they know it by memory.

For Races, I would suggest having each race have different advantages and disadvantages for them. Like, trolls or whatever, some kind of creature that is considered "magic" by definition, they would have a great advantage in spell combat with less drawbacks, but a horrible displacement in physical fighting. Vice versa with human soldiers, except for the aura, which I would suggest have its different costs and strength varying on how it is used.

The setting, let your mind go free! We could have different places for certain players, in which they meet at one point eventually. Now, by this, I don't mean one separate place for each and every RPer, I mean create five or so worlds/dimensions/whatever for RPers to go to, however the RPM (If there is one) sees fit. You know where this is coming from if you've read it.

Links
Code:
Level 100: 3287 Proud Deviant of the PE2K Deviants
Have PesterChum for some reason? Contact me on it! (neonSound)
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Nitro Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Celebi View Post
Why are we doing crossovers? All that does is make the RP inaccessible to people and gives an advantage to those that know about both universes. It also makes it less fun for people that don't know or don't care about the other universe.

I'm going to write up my RP idea this weekend and post it up. It's based on the Pokemon ReBurst manga--should be cool.
This. I believe last year's was a Sonic x Pokemon crossover? I was tempted to join, but after finding out it was a Sonic crossover (I know nothing about Sonic), I didn't want to anymore. Also it came up in the URPG AIM blast chat, and other people said the same thing.

Yes, there was a bit of an introduction to the Sonic world, but unfortunately, there's just not much incentive to join in a game where 50% revolves around another gaming universe, for those people that aren't fans on that particular universe. Especially now that activity is kind of a concern, we should probably try to make a game where we can attract a lot of people.

Not that I have any ideas and I tl;dr'd everything else too lol. Just my thoughts tho, since I'm not an RP expert.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:54 PM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robotnik View Post
I would like to point out that the crossover was your idea to begin with. Don't go around insulting people, especially when you're still mad because I wouldn't let your OP characters in after you refused to weaken them.

I like Char's idea much better than any crossover stuff; crossovers can be kind of exclusive, you have to have to be a fan of both the shows to really know what's up and as we saw last year, that didn't work out so well. A medieval RP for Pokemon would be a lot of fun though; I remember from the movie with Mew and Lucario the big armies of Pokemon and I always thought that would be a lot of fun to RP out.

... And I could be a knight with a morning star and a small cute Pokemon for a partner.
Yes, it was my idea, and dude, you're STILL a great writer and implemented it beautifully. I'm being perfectly serious here. The problem came with execution, though. We obviously had different ideas on what was OP (As in there was no way to weaken my characters any further without them becoming pointless to play, and you couldn't see that), and how a WAR RP should be run (It seriously needs to be Sandbox), and I don't hold that against you. I hope we can work back to being on a more friendly basis again and put that behind us eventually.

Char, that sounds awesome, and adding multiple races and tech level to medieval standards as has been suggested, it would work. So it seems to be between Char's idea and Neo's idea so far. Or merge them? Obviously it needs a rewrite to be a WAR RP, but the material is sound I think.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 03-31-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

I like Char's idea, but I'm a little unsure about the implementation of Aura. If everyone has it, it doesn't seem as special and it may be overused, but if only a few player characters have it, then it may seem unfair. Maybe there are other unique, supernatural abilities a character could have besides Aura? Or, if one character has Aura, what would another non-Aura character have that would make up for not having that ability?

The other thing with Aura is how far can you really go with it. What's the absolute most amount of damage a character could do with it, and what kind of cost would be incurred? While Aura Sphere and Aura Shield are great starts, if that's all that's really there, those two abilities will tend to wear out their welcome and it will be a very predictable way to attack and defend. I would maybe try to work on extra Aura abilities, if possible. I would say the minimum amount of Aura "spells" should be something like eight. With that and the combination of only certain characters having Aura manipulation, you won't have a whole batch of RPers throwing Aura Spheres at each other like a giant medieval snowball fight.

Then, you have your non-Aura characters. What would be a good countermeasure to Aura that they could have instead, just to add more variety behind the characters that are created? A few possibilities could include:

- A transformation ability to one of three preselected Pokémon (Like Animorphs)
- Healing/Divine magic
- Extreme speed and increased reaction time
- Witchcraft/Voodoo magic

And stuff like that. I feel the more variety and possibilities you add, the more people will warm up to the RP as they find a power or ability they'll enjoy using and can warm up to. But if Aura or no Aura is the only option available, people might find it a bit dry.

Aside from that...

I don't recommend the idea of collecting the weapon of the Order of the Dusk, or any kind of collection or treasure hunt situation, especially if you need all the pieces for it to be functional. With RPers, once they have a piece, you'll have to do the impossible to pry it from their hands. In that kind of situation, what usually ends up claimed will not be broken, stolen, or lost without a lot of argument.

As background storyline, instead of having the storyline be about getting powerful relics or artifacts to benefit a faction's situation, go in the opposite direction. Take away from their physiological/security needs so they don't decide to coast through the RP with the thought that everything's fine and dandy with the world whether they do anything or not. If you have a relic that's in seven pieces, all pieces need to be together for it to work, and Team A has two, Team B has one, and Team C has four, Team D won by not caring. Team A, B, and C will be warring with each other indefinitely, refusing to give up their pieces to any other team, while Team D can do whatever they like.

As one example of swiping away at physiological/security needs, the land is becoming blighted and there is a sudden food shortage or water poisoning. The kingdoms have no choice but to fight each other for basic survival. Or, some kind of infectious disease, curse, or anomaly is going about dismantling society. However, make the disease or curse actually have certain benefits to it while having certain detriments as well (or else you won't have any RPers volunteering to have their characters get affected by it). Good examples include lycanthropy (possible way to put in Pokémorphs), vampirism, defilement into a powerful demonic form, or some other physically obvious affliction that gives new strengths but bestows negative detriments as well, so there's an even exchange between characters that stay human/normal and those that allow themselves to become one of the affected. But all in all, make the characters and teams have to do something or be much worse off (possible death). It also helps to have them fight over something that's limited in supply and can't be provided to everyone, but is stuff people absolutely need to survive. Essentially, imagine the RP's story as a high-stakes Black Friday bonanza: if they snooze, they lose.

And of course, team goals could be in reflection of this. You could have a team that wants to secure the precious resources to distribute them among the fair, the righteous, and the just, while the bad guy team wants it as leverage to have their demands met or to acquire money. Another team may just want the minimum amount they need to continue surviving, but another team may feel even that is too much for them to accept.

And one other thing.

I would make the number of Pokémon a person travels with pretty limited in a medieval setting. As in no more than two. This way, people don't have their own personal army on their belt and need to choose their Pokémon carefully and resourcefully. Yes, under these conditions, you won't have every type alignment accounted for, so if you've got a fire type and a rock type, water types are going to be your weakness. So that knight trainer better get in on the fight himself, since his two Pokémon may not have an easy time. Or, rely on teamwork as a good solution. That knight may have a buddy RPer who has the electric or grass type that he wish he had. And vice versa.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I've never RPed and know pretty much nothing about it, so I'll use that to be an unbiased party. xD

After I stropped tl;dring, I really like Char's idea. I don't play very many games, and even the games I do play, I don't know much about them unless it's Pokemon or Soul Calibur. I would honestly be less likely to join a crossover than a regular Pokemon RP, in fear of messing it up worse that I already would by joining, lol. I agree, a crossover RP might certainly increase interest, but mainly to the people who have experience in both games.

Most of the people here would be most interested in the Pokemon aspect of the RP rather than the crossover. By that, I mean more of the ones who want the Crossover would be okay with a full Pokemon RP than the ones who know nothing about the crossover would be be okay with having a crossover. More people would settle for the Pokemon RP rather than a crossover.

Neo's ideas for Char's RP makes it even more interesting, and I'd certainly get into that if I was an RPer (I godmod really really bad, okay).

This whole post is basically explaining what Lord Celebi did in one sentence. :L
Old 04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Dog of Hellsing Offline
Witty

Send a message via AIM to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via MSN to Dog of Hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Dog of Hellsing

Okay so somehow, even though PE2K rejected ALL my attempts at logging in last time and I never got a link to reset my password, when I came back to PE2K to check the ECC in the Park, BAM I'm signed in.

ANYWAYS. I'm all for a medieval RP with huge cutbacks on tech, it's like a sword-and-spell thing and I love those. As far as PokeBalls go, who needs those when we can have ApriBalls or something similar to them?

I like the ideas that have been put forth, and in terms of a special power, we could always allow Shouts! Certain people can have the Aura, certain people could have the Thu'um, others could have this or that. Make it a max of maybe 5 RPers/power, first-come first-served (I totally call dibs on Shouts XD). We can easily come up with a list of cool abilities so there are a few everyone likes in case the main one they'd want fills up before they can apply.

As far as the driving factor behind why regions/Teams are warring and the whole thing about things like being transformed having pros and cons, we've had many Hybrid RPs that prove people are willing to become social outcasts or even seen as beings that deserve to be hunted down and murdered if it gives them a cool new form and some spiffy powers to play with :P.

^Rock Musical Bleach^
Old 04-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Okay, so it's official. We are moving the WAR to Pokémon Crossroads. Thus, I'm going to ask that we continue all RP discussion over at the Pokémon Crossroads WAR RP Discussion Thread.

Any questions, feel free to ask. See you there, mes amis. Over and out.