Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: X and Y

Pokemon: X and Y Discuss the upcoming games Pokemon X and Pokemon Y here. Be sure to label posts with spoilers and use spoiler tags when necessary.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Roze Offline

Default Old is New: Old Pokemon in 3D

This game kind of feels like the end of an era to me. I was there for the first games and every game after. To this date the one main series game that I haven't purchased is White 2. I've seen the evolution of Pokemon.

I've been through every step of the way. True black and white, The Newness of the first time they add to the original 151 (I was so excited watching Ash catch Chikorita, a NEW! Pokemon), added color (I stayed up all night playing Gold, it felt like all night, but it probably was more like 12:05), added being a girl, more color, the first remakes, dual screens, second remakes, constantly moving Pokemon, and finally a main series game in 3D!

I guess this really feels like the last Pokemon game I'll buy. I keep buying them out of nostalgia but I haven't really enjoyed playing them for a while know. I slept my way through Black 2.

I feel like I'm preparing for the last hurrah. I guess the point of this little speech is that I've been waiting for a 3D main series Pokemon game since I was 8 years old. What Pokemon do you need to see in 3D? Maybe this will be your last hurrah also?

I know this is silly but one team that has always been very nostalgic for me is Misty's original team. Goldeen, Staryu, Starmie, Psyduck, Horsea, and Togepi. On the play ground I always called Misty's team when we would play Pokemon, because I loved water Pokemon, and I wanted to get to have Togepi, The first New Pokemon ever!

I'd also like to see the original legendary's. I wish I had kept that Mew...

One thing I know I have to do is beat the Elite Four with the dream team:
Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Pidgey, Geodude.

I always had Pidgey on my team. You gotta have a Pokemon with Fly. One Pokemon I need to see in 3D is Golem. I will always remember evolving Graveler and suddenly only an arm is visible.

Well, What's your thoughts?

Level 100 @ 1320
[VPP] - [URPG]
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Send a message via AIM to Master Aqua Send a message via MSN to Master Aqua
Default Re: Old is New: Old Pokemon in 3D

3d models are not new in the world of Pokemon, stadium, coliseum, XD, that god awful wii game. Now it's time for every game to share the same fate, and hopefully a remake of all 3rd gen games is to follow including XD and coliseum. 3D has just entered the handheld realm but it's nothing new really.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I agree with you, it feels like the end and a new beginning. New sprites of my favourite Pokemon is something I always looked forward to a lot when new games came around. I'm sad that it's over, but also looking forward to seeing my favourites in 3D. I don't think X and Y (and whatever follows) will ever feel like real main series Pokemon games to me anyway. Sprites/2D worlds have a sort of charm and simplicity that allow you to use your imagination to make the world come to life. I don't think 3D has advanced enough to make a pretty Pokemon game. From the screenshots, it still looks pixelly and stretched.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

I think it'll definitely will be a major change. I loved the non-canon spin-offs, Gale of Darkness, Stadiums, Snap, Colosseum, Battle Revolution, Hey You, Pikachu, etc. The difference is this is main series, which will take some acclimation.

I nearly peed when I was watching the trailer. I almost pooped when I saw Fennekin. These games look totally promising, I'm very very very excited! It's like being pregnant, I just want it to come out already. :'D

I'm not really all that nostalgic, I enjoy playing old games and remakes, but it doesn't really set anything off. I just play through it like normal, not, "OMG THAT GUY WAS IN THAT SPOT WITH THIS MUSIC IN THE LAST GAME OMGGGGGGG".

My teams would consist of;

-Starter (Typhlosion, Blastoise, Sceptile, Chimchar, Oshawott)
-Pokemon not in the first few Routes (Mareep, Pikachu, Ralts, Shinx, Blitzle)
-A Flying Type/A Pokemon that can Fly (Togetic, Spearow, Taillow, Starly, Ducklett)
-A Normal Type (Eevee[x2], Eevee, Linoone, Buneary, Minccino)
-A Pokemon that can use Water HMs (Dragonite, Vaporeon, Milotic, Floatzel, Swanna)
-Pokemon I like (Alakazam & Arcanine, Manetric, Roserade, Reuniclus & Sawsbuck)
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Roze Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Aqua View Post
3d models are not new in the world of Pokemon, stadium, coliseum, XD, that god awful wii game. Now it's time for every game to share the same fate, and hopefully a remake of all 3rd gen games is to follow including XD and coliseum. 3D has just entered the handheld realm but it's nothing new really.
I know, that's why I made sure to say "main series game". I like Colosseum and XD but they really weren't anything like RBY or GSC etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I agree with you, it feels like the end and a new beginning. New sprites of my favourite Pokemon is something I always looked forward to a lot when new games came around. I'm sad that it's over, but also looking forward to seeing my favourites in 3D. I don't think X and Y (and whatever follows) will ever feel like real main series Pokemon games to me anyway. Sprites/2D worlds have a sort of charm and simplicity that allow you to use your imagination to make the world come to life. I don't think 3D has advanced enough to make a pretty Pokemon game. From the screenshots, it still looks pixelly and stretched.
I agree. I was always really excited to see how cool/cute they had made my favorite Pokemon this time. I actually cared more about back sprites. I always hated when an awesome Pokemon had an awesome sprite and then the back sprite was so horrid that it really made the Pokemon unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
I'm not really all that nostalgic, I enjoy playing old games and remakes, but it doesn't really set anything off. I just play through it like normal, not, "OMG THAT GUY WAS IN THAT SPOT WITH THIS MUSIC IN THE LAST GAME OMGGGGGGG".
Yeah I agree also. I wouldn't call it nostalgia I guess. I guess nostalgia of how much I used to love playing which doesn't necessarily translate into any new feelings. I really wanted to enjoy FR/LG but I had already played R/B/Y so many times that it was incredibly boring to get through. I'm excited again by Pokemon being in 3D, but I'm sure that excitement will fade quickly and we'll have another bunch mashing Pokemon Game. I'll want to see some of my old favorites in 3D and then I'll most likely quickly retire the game.

Like Sarah said. If sprites are over, then the Pokemon of my childhood is over. Pokemon will probably keep moving on and the sprite stye will feel more and more archaic to the new children being initiated into a wonderful and exciting Pokemon childhood, but for me it will be over. It's a happy sadness...

Level 100 @ 1320
[VPP] - [URPG]
Old 01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roze View Post
This game kind of feels like the end of an era to me. I was there for the first games and every game after. To this date the one main series game that I haven't purchased is White 2. I've seen the evolution of Pokemon.

I've been through every step of the way. True black and white, The Newness of the first time they add to the original 151 (I was so excited watching Ash catch Chikorita, a NEW! Pokemon), added color (I stayed up all night playing Gold, it felt like all night, but it probably was more like 12:05), added being a girl, more color, the first remakes, dual screens, second remakes, constantly moving Pokemon, and finally a main series game in 3D!

I guess this really feels like the last Pokemon game I'll buy. I keep buying them out of nostalgia but I haven't really enjoyed playing them for a while know. I slept my way through Black 2.

I feel like I'm preparing for the last hurrah. I guess the point of this little speech is that I've been waiting for a 3D main series Pokemon game since I was 8 years old. What Pokemon do you need to see in 3D? Maybe this will be your last hurrah also?

I know this is silly but one team that has always been very nostalgic for me is Misty's original team. Goldeen, Staryu, Starmie, Psyduck, Horsea, and Togepi. On the play ground I always called Misty's team when we would play Pokemon, because I loved water Pokemon, and I wanted to get to have Togepi, The first New Pokemon ever!

I'd also like to see the original legendary's. I wish I had kept that Mew...

One thing I know I have to do is beat the Elite Four with the dream team:
Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Pidgey, Geodude.

I always had Pidgey on my team. You gotta have a Pokemon with Fly. One Pokemon I need to see in 3D is Golem. I will always remember evolving Graveler and suddenly only an arm is visible.

Well, What's your thoughts?

For the most point I can relate this. I havent really enjoyed pokemon games for the most point for awhile. Emerald had been the last game I enjoyed until black 2. Its hard when to keep buying games when your interest is gone...forcing yourself through another story sucks. I am glad black 2 came out, because it really gave me a little bit of that enjoyment back.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Roze Offline

Yeah that is true. Black 2 actually was the most interesting game in a while. The story was good. The battle system is what I really have a problem with. It just leads to a lot of A mashing. I forced myself to deal with it to get through the story.

Level 100 @ 1320
[VPP] - [URPG]
Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Yeah that is true. Black 2 actually was the most interesting game in a while. The story was good. The battle system is what I really have a problem with. It just leads to a lot of A mashing. I forced myself to deal with it to get through the story.
yeah, they tried to do more with puzzles and side games for black 2. I didnt mind it because I didnt fall asleep or stop playing at the 3rd gym like I did with the last couple of games.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Master Aqua Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion Explosion View Post
I think it'll definitely will be a major change. I loved the non-canon spin-offs, Gale of Darkness, Stadiums, Snap, Colosseum, Battle Revolution, Hey You, Pikachu, etc. The difference is this is main series, which will take some acclimation.

I nearly peed when I was watching the trailer. I almost pooped when I saw Fennekin. These games look totally promising, I'm very very very excited! It's like being pregnant, I just want it to come out already. :'D

My teams would consist of;

-Starter (Typhlosion, Blastoise, Sceptile, Chimchar, Oshawott)
-Pokemon not in the first few Routes (Mareep, Pikachu, Ralts, Shinx, Blitzle)
-A Flying Type/A Pokemon that can Fly (Togetic, Spearow, Taillow, Starly, Ducklett)
-A Normal Type (Eevee[x2], Eevee, Linoone, Buneary, Minccino)
-A Pokemon that can use Water HMs (Dragonite, Vaporeon, Milotic, Floatzel, Swanna)
-Pokemon I like (Alakazam & Arcanine, Manetric, Roserade, Reuniclus & Sawsbuck)
XD and coliseum are canon, wether they are main story line is still debatable
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Roze Offline

Canon (Latin canon from Greek κανών "measuring rod, standard") may refer to any standard or convention.

We all know what the standard is in Pokemon.

A Pokemon game where you start your Pokemon Journey receiving one of three Pokemon, a fire, a water,or a grass, from a Pokemon Professor, and then you catch a train wild Pokemon for battles against gyms and finally the Elite Four.

XD and Colosseum are not the same. Therefore spin-off and non-canon, non-standard.

Can we not turn my thread into an argument about what I (one singular person) meant when they said "main series". It wasn't the point of this thread. Now that we are are clear what I meant can we move on?

Level 100 @ 1320
[VPP] - [URPG]
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

One last thing;

Saying canon isn't main series is like saying "I'm a carrot but not a vegetable."

PBR was epic, I was so happy when I finally beat it. I thought transferring Pokemon over to the Wii was the best thiiiing. ;D

I always would use my wittle cute Pokemon. :3
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Canon (Latin canon from Greek κανών "measuring rod, standard") may refer to any standard or convention.

We all know what the standard is in Pokemon.

A Pokemon game where you start your Pokemon Journey receiving one of three Pokemon, a fire, a water,or a grass, from a Pokemon Professor, and then you catch a train wild Pokemon for battles against gyms and finally the Elite Four.

XD and Colosseum are not the same. Therefore spin-off and non-canon, non-standard.

Can we not turn my thread into an argument about what I (one singular person) meant when they said "main series". It wasn't the point of this thread. Now that we are are clear what I meant can we move on?
Roze is right, we have gone off the topic. Please from this point on, stay with in the guidelines of the topic.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
I agree. I was always really excited to see how cool/cute they had made my favorite Pokemon this time. I actually cared more about back sprites. I always hated when an awesome Pokemon had an awesome sprite and then the back sprite was so horrid that it really made the Pokemon unusable.
Ooh I agree about the back sprites! The BW back sprites bothered me to no end. The fact that they were just doubled in size and all pixelly. They should have at least cleaned them up a bit. Of course when you have the camera zooming around, the sprites aren't going to look nice, though. :( I guess that's one of the reasons they wanted to move on from sprites.

I am excited about the 3D battle system, but I still think they could have kept the rest of the game in 2D. The landscapes just aren't appealing to me. All I see when I look at this is stray pixels everywhere. @_@

Once the 3DS was announced, it was inevitable that Pokemon would eventually make the jump to 3D. I don't have anything against 3D Pokemon, Snap is actually my favourite game, but a main game in 3D? Just doesn't have the same feeling for me.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 01-18-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Master Aqua Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Ooh I agree about the back sprites! The BW back sprites bothered me to no end. The fact that they were just doubled in size and all pixelly. They should have at least cleaned them up a bit. Of course when you have the camera zooming around, the sprites aren't going to look nice, though. :( I guess that's one of the reasons they wanted to move on from sprites.

I am excited about the 3D battle system, but I still think they could have kept the rest of the game in 2D. The landscapes just aren't appealing to me. All I see when I look at this is stray pixels everywhere. @_@

Once the 3DS was announced, it was inevitable that Pokemon would eventually make the jump to 3D. I don't have anything against 3D Pokemon, Snap is actually my favourite game, but a main game in 3D? Just doesn't have the same feeling for me.
Well I think it's best to give it a try, i doupt the 3D effect of the 3Ds will be of much use for it through.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Expecto Patronum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Aqua View Post
Well I think it's best to give it a try, i doupt the 3D effect of the 3Ds will be of much use for it through.
Really? What makes you think that? I haven't used a 3DS before so I don't know much about it xD