Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Role Play » Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion

Role Play Sign Ups & Discussion Sign up for and discuss Role Plays here. Have anything to ask about a Role Play you're in, or need to put up extra info for people to refer to? What if you need help with an idea that's missing that extra kick? Do it all here!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default Re: [DS] A question of interest. (Viral Overgrowth Idea)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrius View Post
I like everything about Sabi's RP except for one thing. The whole points value things. Just doesn't sit right with me because i feel it restricts how I want to Roleplay. I cant start off with the pokemone that I want etc. Thats just personal opinion by the way. But had it not been for that I would have signed up in a heartbeat.

And I only apologized to cover myself, just in case somebody was, or did get offended :)
You should have joined my rp anyway, you terrible person you.

Okay troll face aside here, I like to know why people don't or may not want to join my role plays. Journeymon is honestly an experiment I'm trying. I'm always thinking of new ideas for it as I do want it to fly. What you just told me gave me an idea for it, so I will PM you about it later tonight. Anyway, the points system was put in to try and make it more engaging and to help new role players learn how to add to, follow and participate in a story as best they can. Also to give it a more game like feel to it and try to have rpers on their toes, anticipation up ad such. The rest of it is mostly winging it. I'm completely open to negotiations for Journeymon, so if you PM me with what you had in mind, I think we can work something out.

I agree with everything Neo said. Nexen has been my longest running rp, it's been going on for over a year now. It's my original story and I love it to death. Replies in it are very slow, but thanks to the dedicated few, it's still alive and I can't thank them enough for it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Dragotech Offline

Right now Gold Wynaut and I are working on developing a RolePlay... The Main Antagonist is unfinished and so far it is represented by my current avatar.

Sorry I didn't recognize you Frozen Prince, I don't think I have been here very long.

I have been considering visiting my FaceBook and mentioning this site, I know at least a couple of people fond of Pokemon and willing to admit it. That goes without saying the fact that there are a ton of friendly people here, and with the actual variety of things there is bound to be something interesting.

Yeah this isn't the easiest site to just find unless you already know where it is. I stumbled on to it by accident and thought it was really awesome.

You know, I would have loved to see this place in its prime... that would have been incredible.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrius View Post

Well i'll be damned. Good to see you again Neo.

Erugh, everything you've said is right and I cant really make any points where I disagree. Particularly in the free-time regard as it -is- an excuse. You're right as well on the RP bombing part as a fair few of my RP's have crashed and burned, not gone to plan or simply lost interest. Perhaps it was because I lost interest myself, or perhaps its because people weren't interested in the way i presented said RP's. I'll never know. Maybe im not meant to know either.

But I -do- want to create an RP i have real passion for. Maybe I have to take a week away and think, plan, create, daydream and real focus on what I want it to do. Its a daunting prospect making something on such a large scale as the RP's you've made, but what you've said about grasping that idea is right and wanting to do it is even more important.
Yep, I've been there. You're not the only one to have an RP totally bomb, and then feel bummed out about it to the point where RPing just doesn't feel as fun as it used to. I've had plenty of RPs that gave me something good to look back on and remember, and there were others where they crashed and burned and I couldn't help but ask what the heck was I thinking. And then I wasted time playing some video game to get my mind off of the whole thing. It happens. Welcome to the world of RP writing, we've all felt it.

Taking a week away to think, plan, create, and daydream on that next RP is a good idea. It lets you gather your thoughts, organize them in your head, possibly come up with more things you could implement as you think it over more, and generally get a clearer picture of what you're shooting for. Again, let the idea incubate. Most ideas are started with a hunch, which given time, will connect to other sources of inspiration. And if you need to, write things down if you think you might forget it later. And generally decide which ideas you think could be tied to a great storyline, and which ones you feel could be scrapped.

Yeah, I've made some really large scale RPs in the past. It works sometimes, but not all the times. There are plenty of cases where it just got too darn complex for its own good, or ended up being a "TL:DR" to everyone who looked at it. And you'll run into this too sometimes. Just because an RP is gushing to the brim with info and background doesn't make it good. It may have depth, but that only means there's either a lot of a good thing or a lot of a bad thing.

But yeah, take that time out to think things over. Daydream a little while you have music playing. See what comes to you and give it a story and new meaning. I can't tell you how many times it may have seemed like I was in an ordinary setting, such as waiting on line, driving down the highway, or waiting at a restaurant, but my imagination was running wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraibre Ryu View Post
You should have joined my rp anyway, you terrible person you.

Okay troll face aside here, I like to know why people don't or may not want to join my role plays. Journeymon is honestly an experiment I'm trying. I'm always thinking of new ideas for it as I do want it to fly. What you just told me gave me an idea for it, so I will PM you about it later tonight. Anyway, the points system was put in to try and make it more engaging and to help new role players learn how to add to, follow and participate in a story as best they can. Also to give it a more game like feel to it and try to have rpers on their toes, anticipation up ad such. The rest of it is mostly winging it. I'm completely open to negotiations for Journeymon, so if you PM me with what you had in mind, I think we can work something out.

I agree with everything Neo said. Nexen has been my longest running rp, it's been going on for over a year now. It's my original story and I love it to death. Replies in it are very slow, but thanks to the dedicated few, it's still alive and I can't thank them enough for it.
I took a look at Journeymon, but I'll be honest, I'm just tired of the rookie Pokemon trainer role. I think the points system is a creative risk, but I have a feeling that may either help the RP take on an interesting approach of requiring a player to develop their team over time and make choices carefully, or it may be a little too distracting and more of a hassle to deal with. Also, I have some mixed feelings about the towers idea. The origin of their creation is kind of cliché, and just seems like the one objective the RPers need to target is the only mission of the entire RP. To me, it just seems like too much of the plot weighs on the towers themselves and the frenzied Pokemon near them. I think it would be best if there were multiple issues that linked together, and make it seem more like a puzzle that needed to be figured out piece by piece, open to the interpretation of the RPers themselves. Instead, it seems like given the situation, the RP may just be about a long team-building grind before they can really set out to attack the main problem. That kind of thing may grow stale among your participants before getting to the real core of the plot.

Again, it has potential, but personally, I'm just not really drawn to it. I'd rather focus on developing an intriguing storyline than grind to earn points and invest them.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Emolga View Post
I took a look at Journeymon, but I'll be honest, I'm just tired of the rookie Pokemon trainer role. I think the points system is a creative risk, but I have a feeling that may either help the RP take on an interesting approach of requiring a player to develop their team over time and make choices carefully, or it may be a little too distracting and more of a hassle to deal with. Also, I have some mixed feelings about the towers idea. The origin of their creation is kind of cliché, and just seems like the one objective the RPers need to target is the only mission of the entire RP. To me, it just seems like too much of the plot weighs on the towers themselves and the frenzied Pokemon near them. I think it would be best if there were multiple issues that linked together, and make it seem more like a puzzle that needed to be figured out piece by piece, open to the interpretation of the RPers themselves. Instead, it seems like given the situation, the RP may just be about a long team-building grind before they can really set out to attack the main problem. That kind of thing may grow stale among your participants before getting to the real core of the plot.

Again, it has potential, but personally, I'm just not really drawn to it. I'd rather focus on developing an intriguing storyline than grind to earn points and invest them.
As I said, Journeymon is an experiment for something bigger. I've created storylines before where the main plot of an RP was completely changed by the players over discussion, and I'm hoping to promote that again. Of course I don't want to overcomplicate things, because I seem to be really reaaaaaally good at that, and put something up there for the new players. I notice that's what a lot of new players seem to do a lot of when they start. The Journeymon storyline as a whole, whats put up on the thread right now is what I'd like to call... maybe 5% of what's actually going to happen. I'm completely open for suggestions, as I'm trying to encourage people to make their own stories in the RP. It's also getting out of my usual RP mold. Well more like taking it and shattering it into oblivion with an atomic bomb, as, like I said, I'm totally winging it. I'm not usually for the rookie role either but it seems to be what I call a safe go-to thing for new role players. If it works, it works, if not, I know and I will try again. My points system isn't so much of a grind, I give people points if they add to the story, add to their character development, aside from other things such as, figuring out my evil little plans early on.

I'd call it a polar opposite to Nexen where I have the entirety of the main plot fleshed out and everyone knows what's going on, but what actually happens is up to the players. It's also a super complicated RP because my mind knows no other way of thinking. Comparing Journeymon to Nexen, honestly Journeymon was harder to write because I had to keep it so simple. Nexen can be seen as incredibly complicated, however it's of my own personal, original creation. Then something inbetween that I would call on an RP of mine known as 'Tides of Freelance' but that's been under heavy refining for years.

Not RP is for everyone though, and it's next to impossible to please everyone. I'm just doing my best and throwing random stuff out there so I can use people as guinea pi--I mean, give bored role players something to do...*cough*
Old 12-11-2012, 03:39 AM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga

Breaking the mold and doing the unexpected often has some pretty awesome results, after all. But two types of RPs I'm just not attached two are fledgling trainer RPs and academy RPs, and I've given them both a chance in the past. If anything, that's a bit more of a turnoff for me than the points. I just feel like I've been in that setting so many times and it just never feels fresh no matter how many times I give it another shot.

I only took a peek at Nexen but it does seem like you put a lot of work into it. Seems intriguing from the little I read, but again, it looks like that's already been well underway.

But yeah, like you said, not every RP is for everyone. I just find taking risks and doing unexpected stuff often does create interesting settings, plots, and mechanics.