Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
ArceusTheCreator Offline

Default Bronies and Anti-Bronies

So recently over the past year or two there has been a vast explosion of the show MLPFIM and it's becoming quite a staple on popular culture.My opinion on it is that it's fine in moderation and really I have no problem with it.What I do have a problem with is stupid kids in the back of my college class asking my professor which pony is his favorite like it's the funniest thing and then getting upset when people ask him politely to quiet down.There's a point where people need to draw the line,honestly if you're walking around Disney with a freaking twilight sparkle plushie getting pictures with it and looking like a 40 year old pedophile that lives with his mother.I can understand why people put such a stigma on it.Honestly it's creepy it really is and its not so much the general fan-base that bothers me as much as it is the bronytards.Every single thing is pony meme pony meme love and tolerance blah blah blah.

So basically the general question here up for discussion is,
To brony or not to brony that is the question.

VPP:

Level100:@384

Hey I'm no angel, or the devil of your conscience to tell you who to be... good, bad, ugly or otherwise.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion
Default Re: Bronies and Anti-Bronies

Meh, this kinda explains it.

I love MLP, but not really enough to tie a tail to my pants and glue a horn to my head a run around neighing and saying "everypony" instead of "everybody". The series is awesome, and pretty funny, but when you're a 50 year old man who is sexually attracted to Fluttershy, yeah...
Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Send a message via AIM to Ant2011

Just like everything, the extremists give the rest of the group a bad name. I had a Pinkie Pie keychain from McDonalds on my backpack at college. That's as far as I took it in public. I would ask my friends if they had any interest in the series. If they said no I never brought it up again. I had to speak to a brony extremist because he kept trying to make every card we played somehow reference MLP. It was getting to the point where they were going to ban all bronies from that part of the lounge, and that would've included me to make a point.

Everything has a time and place. Granted, if you have a large group of friends who like the show then that time and place may just happen to be an everywhere and anytime.

Also, people who use ponyisms, like everypony instead of everybody or hoof instead of hand or foot, are idiots. They're trying to make a joke that isn't funny. At all. You're not a pony, you're a human. Speak like it.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 PM
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant2011 View Post
Also, people who use ponyisms, like everypony instead of everybody or hoof instead of hand or foot, are idiots. They're trying to make a joke that isn't funny. At all. You're not a pony, you're a human. Speak like it.
Oh god, they say hoof instead of a hand/foot? Wow... -.-
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:

I significantly disagree with the bolded statement.

Every fan base has their extremeist, their mellow fans, their hardcore fans, and their creepy fans etc. I personally see no problem with people using ponyisms. It's expressing themselves and enjoying something they like. It's like using memes or people using insults from Monty Python or even Shakespeare. We aren't in that kind of medieval time but just because we aren't, doesn't give people a reason to tell other people they can't do it. People aren't vampires, not hybrids or magical wizards, but just because they aren't doesn't mean they can't use terminology from their favorite franchises.

It's freedom of expression and people are free to express how they like. Is all of it appropriate? No, but there is a difference between people's opinions and where a line should be drawn. MLP is popular, it's gonna be around, it's a trend. To be honest I don't see how using pony terms is trying to make a joke much. I see it as people just expressing themselves, and showing that they aren't afraid of what people think of them. On an indirect level, they also end up finding people who share in their same likes. We already had phrases such as 'hoof it' in the english language. It's fine and is completely understandable when the pony terms get a bit annoying, but people will talk as they like, just because we're humans doesn't mean we must talk like humans.

Frankly always talking like humans seems incredibly boring to me. Unreal things like MLP making things more creative, and fans wanting to encorporate that into their lives because they enjoy it so much, why not?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM
~Blast Burn

As long as they do it away from me. XD Kinda annoys me. I agree with freedom of speech and all, but it's kinda odd imo. They can do it within the extreme fan base.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

That's all well and good Saraibre, but it's a problem when they think it's funny to do it around people who don't like the show or can't stand the fans. It's fine to use it, just be aware of your audience. You're going to make a lot of people mad if you're not careful.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Quote:
That's all well and good Saraibre, but it's a problem when they think it's funny to do it around people who don't like the show or can't stand the fans. It's fine to use it, just be aware of your audience. You're going to make a lot of people mad if you're not careful.
That, is what we call good ol' fashioned trolling. Also something that comes with all fan bases.

Doing it just because you like it, and doing it to intentionally piss people off are on completely different ends of the spectrum.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

As an obsessive Pokemon fan I don't think I have the right to judge people who obsess over ponies. xD Calling out in class and being a nuisance would be annoying no matter what they were calling out about, not just because it's ponies. Something like that would really annoy me, so I completely get where you're coming from.

Yeah I would think people who say everypony etc. irl and old guys who are obsessed with ponies would be weird, the same way the average person would think I was weird if they saw my room filled with Pokemon stuff...

I understand how it would seem creepy for people to like ponies to those who haven't watched it (me included) but as long as they're not bothering anyone else, I don't have a problem with it.

If the people you're around don't appreciate your pony talk and you don't want to bug them then you should be courteous and talk like a normal person if you don't want to make them annoyed. Things like that get old fast to non-fans. Sure it might be funny at first but eventually it would just get annoying. I agree with Ant about knowing your audience.

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 11-18-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I would indefinitely call myself an anti-brony. Does that mean I am against My Little Pony? Hellsnaw. The show is pretty good, but when people create a cult surrounding the show and actively parade around, it gets on my nerves. I have friends who are slaves to Doctor Who (which is a very good show, but I digress), and I know they are really big fans. They do not, however, create a name for themselves in order to gain notoriety, and that is what it all comes down to.

There are a lot of things that I enjoy that no one on here knows about. I do not feel an obligation to go out of my way to make sure everyone knows I am a fan of something. Nor should fans of My Little Pony, Pokemon, Sonic, etc. I am a fan of Pokemon. I am on a Pokemon forum, but as Ant2011 said, there is a time and place for everything. I do not go on Facebook and speak like a Pokemon, I speak like a human being. I don't pester my friends about it. I keep it to myself until the appropriate time and place, just like people should do about a lot of things. The same should apply for fans of MLP, young and old.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 11-18-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Ant2011 Offline
-=Create=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
I have friends who are slaves to Doctor Who (which is a very good show, but I digress), and I know they are really big fans. They do not, however, create a name for themselves in order to gain notoriety, and that is what it all comes down to.
Don't Dr. Who fans call themselves Whovians?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 AM
ArceusTheCreator Offline

Quote:
Don't Dr. Who fans call themselves Whovians?
There are some that do,most of them inhabit tumblr and only watch the show due to how cute the doctor is and aren't actually fans(I'm a huge fan I've been watching since the 8th doctor before they rebooted the series),just like the avengers "Fans" that completely break the characters by shipping them in ways that don't make sense,i have no respect for that as a comic book reader.I'm glad I'm getting other opinions from members of the forum considering this is in no means a way to discourage bronies I just wanted to get an estimate of opinions from everyone.

VPP:

Level100:@384

Hey I'm no angel, or the devil of your conscience to tell you who to be... good, bad, ugly or otherwise.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM
~Blast Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiursa of the Sky View Post
I would indefinitely call myself an anti-brony. Does that mean I am against My Little Pony? Hellsnaw. The show is pretty good, but when people create a cult surrounding the show and actively parade around, it gets on my nerves. I have friends who are slaves to Doctor Who (which is a very good show, but I digress), and I know they are really big fans. They do not, however, create a name for themselves in order to gain notoriety, and that is what it all comes down to.

There are a lot of things that I enjoy that no one on here knows about. I do not feel an obligation to go out of my way to make sure everyone knows I am a fan of something. Nor should fans of My Little Pony, Pokemon, Sonic, etc. I am a fan of Pokemon. I am on a Pokemon forum, but as Ant2011 said, there is a time and place for everything. I do not go on Facebook and speak like a Pokemon, I speak like a human being. I don't pester my friends about it. I keep it to myself until the appropriate time and place, just like people should do about a lot of things. The same should apply for fans of MLP, young and old.
THIS.

I don't go around asking people if they like Pokemon, and if they say no go, "ZOMG I HATE YOU YOUR ENTIRE EXISTENCE IS NOW NULL TO ME". If someone asks me if I like Pokemon, I'll say yes. If they say no, "Okay." I'll wear Pokemon shirts and I even have a MLP spoof series shirt, but there are some people I know that go around flying like Rainbow Dash and bothering people constantly about MLP. Really annoying.

Nor do I go on Facebook and say, "SAW A PIKACHU IN MY YARD TODAY I ALMOST CAUGHT IT TOO." If someone insults me or someone else for liking any said series, then I'll definitely stand my ground and argue it. But it's not something you shove down everyone's throats.

Everyone has their own opinions and likings, but no one is wrong about liking/believing/or expressing them in MODERATION. The line is drawn when you become invasive with your opinions.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Sealboy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sealboy Send a message via MSN to Sealboy Send a message via Skype™ to Sealboy

I always thought that Bronies were fans of MLP - just what you call those who like the show. I see that I had it wrong then? xD

I have some mates who consider themselves Bronies (they love it - have bags, ringtones and everything based on the show). I have nothing against them, so I guess I don't really care? xD

But yeah, I don't like MLP. I watched the first episode because, like a good little dolphin, I didn't want to give my opinion on something that I hadn't watched before. I watched it, wasn't entirely impressed and left it to die in a hole - running back to Adventure Time with open arms :D

Hahaha. But just because I don't like something doesn't mean I condemn those who do. When my friends occasionally talk about MLP, I don't mind at all :P

I can see where you guys dislike really extreme Bronies o_o

~Sealboy

Click the image above to check out my YouTube Channel - it'd mean a lot.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Kid Blaze Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Kid Blaze

I myself am a Brony. Yes, I admit to beng a Brony. Yet, I do not ever try to draw anybody else in or express my broniness. I enjoy the show for what it is: a show. Its not a way of life for me, but I really love it and try to watch each episode of the series.

Yet, I won't go shouting to the world "I AM A BRONY!!!!" or anything like that. I stick to the show, not to the extremists.

Blue Team
total points earned: 118
points spent:94
current points: 24

Pokemon In Party:
-Hydra, the Wartortle(Male) (level 16)
-Aerian, Fearow (Male)(level 6)
-Sandra, the Sandslash (Female)(level 27) (silk scarf)
-Machop, the Machop level 11
-Butterfree, level 10
-Geodude, level 8