Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards

Art Boards Art boards for both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related art.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default [WAR XI] Drawn Art Section

Welcome to WAR XI Drawn Art!

Hello! If you’re interested in entering the Drawn Art section of this seasons WAR, then you’ve come to the right place!
Down below, you’ll find the rules and regulations that you must abide by to do well.
I won't waste any more time, so let's get to it!

Rules;
--In order to submit an entry, you must be a part of a WAR team. If you're not, join one! Where’s the harm?
--You may submit only one entry per week. You can edit your entry as many times as you desire, as long as it is submitted before the deadline.
--You may submit your entry either in this thread or through PM. You can resort to PM if you’re worried about other’s taking your ideas. Don’t PM me with your entry if you’re afraid what others might think.
--All entries have to be submitted BEFORE the deadline. Otherwise, I won’t count it. A few minutes or so past it will be fine, but not several hours.
--All entries must fit the theme. If I cannot see the connection between your entry and the theme, you will have a chance to justify yourself.
--Only drawings are acceptable. They can be hand drawn, or drawn digitally, but YOU have to draw it.
--NO PLAGIARIZING. The golden rule of all art.

Entry;
-Team:_____________
-Name:_____________
-Entry:_____________

Judging;
--There will be three winners. First Place, 3 points; Second Place, 2 points; Third Place, 1 point
--Judging will be based off of these few categories...

-Theme; 10 points. Relevance to theme

-Creativity; 10 points. Thinking outside the box; the unexpected.

-Shading; 10 points. Proper shading or lack of (in some cases).

-Composition; 10 points. How well aspects are arranged on a canvas

-Overall Appeal; 10 points. How well everything looks as a whole.

^ Anastasia-R ^
Current VPP: Palkia > Level 100: 6987

Last edited by TheEvilDookie; 07-01-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Send a message via AIM to TheEvilDookie Send a message via MSN to TheEvilDookie Send a message via Skype™ to TheEvilDookie
Default Re: [WAR XI] Drawn Art Section

Challenges;

-Week one; Landscapes!
Deadline: Friday, June 29th 11:59:59 PM EST
1st Place: Foxamivalth
2nd Place: Velocity
3rd Place: -

-Week two; Mythical Creatures!
Deadline: Saturday, July 7th 11:59:59 PM EST
1st Place: Foxamivalth
2nd Place: Judge Dredd
3rd Place: Velocity

-Week three; Anime/Cartoons
Deadline: Saturday, July 14th 11:59:59 PM EST
1st Place: Winter
2nd Place: 5TailedDemonLizard
3rd Place: Saraibre Ryu/EmBreon

-Week four; Pokemon & Humans
Deadline: Saturday, July 21st 11:59:59 PM EST
1st Place:
2nd Place:
3rd Place:

-Week five; TBA
Deadline: Saturday, July 28th 11:59:59 PM EST
1st Place:
2nd Place:
3rd Place:

^ Anastasia-R ^

Last edited by TheEvilDookie; 07-16-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Week 1 Theme: Landscapes!

While a popular theme amongst painters, landscape art can very well be adapted to drawn art. Don't just limit yourself to drawing something like a wide forest of trees with a mountain in the back. Expand your imagination and think outside of the box! Landscapes are some of the most beautiful pieces of scenery given to us by this Earth. You just need to be able to draw it. ;)

^ Anastasia-R ^

Last edited by TheEvilDookie; 06-24-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Foxamivalth Offline

Send a message via MSN to Foxamivalth

Week 1 Entry;
- Team: AWESOME
- Name: Foxamivalth
- Entry: Eruption

Volcano & eruption are landscape? Yes to me. They're beautiful.
But the picture becomes so dark. :O

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 PM
TheEvilDookie Offline

You guys have like one more day so if anyone else was planning on making an entry, now is not the time to put it off!

^ Anastasia-R ^
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Team: Revolution Uprising
Name: Velocity
Entry: Tranquil Night

It's okay, the real thing only looks about... fifteen times better. I hate scanners.

Thanks, Speed and Dino and also Speed! :D
Old 06-30-2012, 04:48 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Okay yeah, submissions closed. I'll post the winner and runner up tomorrow along with next week's theme.

^ Anastasia-R ^
Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 AM
TheEvilDookie Offline

Okay I've never actually done judging on a point scale so please don't hate me if you disagree. I'm only human q_q

For reference purposes:
-Theme; 10 points. Relevance to theme
-Creativity; 10 points. Thinking outside the box; the unexpected.
-Shading; 10 points. Proper shading or lack of (in some cases).
-Composition; 10 points. How well aspects are arranged on a canvas
-Overall Appeal; 10 points. How well everything looks as a whole.

Foxamivalth:
Team: AWESOME
Entry:

Spoiler:
Theme: Volcanoes can be a beautiful spectacle to watch despite the destruction it wreaks upon living creatures. Your entry captures one of many exciting moments in volcanic uproars being the eruption itself. The protruding magma and billowing smoke exemplify all of what a volcano represents. 10 points.

Creativity: While the idea of a volcano is pleasantly uncommon for this particular theme, your piece is without all of elements that isn't the volcano itself. I'm curious as to where all of the other surroundings are. The burning trees and the rest of the landscape in the distance; they would have helped your score in this section greatly. 6 points.

Shading: I really like the shading on your piece. The smoke looks great with your style of drawing and the shooting rocks are flawless. The only part that I could see improvements being made to is the base of the volcano. It seems to drastically change from dark to light with little transitional shading. But besides that, this section looks very nice. 8 points.

Composition: For this, I'm going to ignore what could have been added to the piece as I mentioned in the creativity section and only focus on what's actually present. Based on how this piece is arranged, I wouldn't be surprised if this volcano is a sketch from a drawing board of a professional cartoonist. I like the style that you've got with this and all the elements fit together nicely. And only because I have a sharp eye for things that look barely out of place, I would've liked to see a more symmetrical shape to the smoke if you know what I mean. It's as if it's mostly flowing to the left and nothing to the right. But that's probably more of a problem with myself than the drawing. :P 9 points.

Overall Appeal: The missing background to your piece is still really bothering me. There was so much more potential for this piece and it just looks like you stopped once you finished the main part. There's always room for detail and that's something that I see to be lacking here. But from what you do have, the shading looks great and I was glad that your entry wasn't super generic. 7 points.

Total: 40 points

Velocity:
Entry:

Spoiler:
Theme: A beautiful flower in the presence of the night sky. A peaceful evening with the vast land (or is that a shoreline?) in the back. Certainly fitting of the theme with the mountainous region in the distance. 10 points.

Creativity: A flower, mountain and ocean shore. Sadly, I must admit that I find this type of piece to be very common. It's just the kind of thing you see a lot of people draw. As for what's on the piece itself, I feel like you focused too much on the primary attractor (the flower), and neglected the background in doing so. Yes, there are mountains and a sky, but there's just so much open space where you could have been more creative. 5 points.

Shading: To an untrained eye, the shading on this piece would look rushed and messy, but to me, I see it very fitting for your personal style that you have. The darkness in the sky with the little blips representing what I assume to be stars is a nice touch. The flower is very properly shaded as well. The mountains in the back could use some sort of detail though. It just looks like they have no detail to them. 8 points.

Composition: As I mentioned with the entry from Foxamivalth, I'm going to ignore the parts where I feel like things are missing/could be added in, and focus on what's actually present. I've read up on some artists tips from school books and random sources on the internet, and one of the things i recall reading was that in a large piece such as yours, you should try to avoid having main part of the piece (in this case the flower) in the dead center. It just feels cliche in a way. Anyways, the way you have the grass drawn out is very interesting. It looks like the flower is sitting on top of a small cliff looking over the ocean? It leaves me guessing as to what it is and that's something I like in artwork. 8 points.

Overall Appeal: Upon first glance, this piece looks very beautiful. However, after I dove into it and started noticing bits and pieces missing, I lost a little bit of the excitement I had over the piece. But then that left me wondering, for this section, is it good or bad that I wasn't able to notice the missing parts that I would have liked to been added? Since I'm not a professional and I don't normally try to evaluate the tiniest things, I thought it was a good thing that I couldn't notice it at first. 8 points.

Total: 39 points

Overall result:

1st place: Foxamivalth (3 points for team)
2nd place: Velocity (2 points for team)
3rd place:

Thanks for the entries guys. It was a tough decision to make, but rest assured, not once did I look at each piece and compare them to one another to decide which I liked more. :/ I was happy when I saw that I had just one, but 2 made it even better! :D Now that I'm finished judging all this, I've come to the realization that I should cut down on how much I criticize because this took me like an hour to write out and I'm really tired now...

And now that I'm finally finished, it's time for a quick announcement for how the deadlines for the following weeks will work. For week 2, entries may be submitted any time after Saturday, June 30th, at 11:59 pm EST. Week 2 will end the following Saturday, July 7th at 11:59 pm EST and I will use Sunday to post results. The rest of the weeks will also use the new time schedule. The WAR committee people decided to do this so that people could use a weekend day before entries close. If you're still unsure about when I'll stop taking entries for each week, just check the 2nd post.

AND NOW FINALLY, WHAT nobody EVERYBODY HAS BEEN WAITING FOR! The theme for Week 2 is....

Mythical Creatures!!

Draw up your favorite creature/monster/god in an epic pose or perhaps in the middle of a bloody battle. It could be from Greek mythology or from a story from your favorite religion if you're feeling a bit risque ;) It's up to you to decide how to work that pencil of yours!

^ Anastasia-R ^
Old 07-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Foxamivalth Offline

Send a message via MSN to Foxamivalth

Woo! Thanks for the input & cc, Dookie! I really appreciate it. But drawing in a bit rush is always no good. Yeah, I was drawing like half an hour before going to college. >_>

The theme for Week 2! :O
I really should try this.

Banner by Pokemon Trainer Sarah
Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Mythological creatures? I think I'm in love with you right about now.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
White Knight Offline

Maybe I'll actually enter next week o_e

Thanks Pokemon Trainer Sarah!
ASB|VPP

Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Frost Dragon Offline

Mythical creatures? YES! This is why I was wasting my time drawing is school!

Lucario@312
Hatch: 327
Lucario: 432
Level100: 612
Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows

Team: Awesome!
Name: Judge Dredd
Entry: Jackalope

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Velocity Offline
ASB Official

Heh, Judge, I didn't know you drew.

Name: Velocity
Entry: Swallow the Sun
Spoiler:

This scanner is better. ;) Anyway, did you know that the Ancient Egyptians believed that doomsday would come when a giant snake called Apophis swallowed the sun - aka, the god Ra? Because they did. In the myths, Ra would travel down a river on his sun boat at night, when Apophis would attack and Ra's godly bodyguards would defend him. But this looked better than a bunch of dudes with khopeshes stabbing a snake while standing on a flaming boat.

Also, whatever that blue spot is, I swear I didn't put it there - I was unaware of its existance until approximately ten seconds ago.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Angel_DeArc_ Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Angel_DeArc_

Team: Awesome!
Name: Angel_DeArc
Entry: Warrior Mermaid
Okay so my sis laughed at this. I combined the idea of Artemis - the Greek Goddess of war and moon with that of a mermaid. I thought of using a trident instead of that bow and arrow AS A weapon but that seemed too conventional. Furthermore, I'm bad at drawing faces and hands, as you can see. My apologies ^^"
P.S: I darkened the picture using Photoscape because the camera gave a brighter version of what it actually was and the scanner I use is too small, the sketch book doesn't fit in.
P.P.S: I dunno how to insert a spoiler T_T