Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default Re: Unimaginative Pokemon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etymology View Post
In before Trubbish and Vanillite hate posts.

I think every Pokemon is imaginative in its own way. A lot of thought goes into the design of each and every one, with each explaining its own concept and basis.
I agree with this.

First off, let me get it out that, yes, some Pokemon designs have made me go, wtf are these people thinking. However, with people loving generation one and hating generation five because of it's unoriginality, where I think simplicity is a more proper term. You're probably wondering where I'm getting at with this so I'll just get to the point.

Let's look at Liepard, it's a simple, purple leopard based Pokemon idea. Pretty cool in my opinion. Thne things such as the Lillipup line, even Cotonee and Whimsicott, all cool. Yes the Vanilite family is...odd...but the one thing that irks me is when people like gen 1 over 5 because of designs.

Let's look at some gen 1 designs of the most simplest.

Persian. It's a cat...named after a kind of cat. It's got a gem in it's forehead.

Kingler. Literally a giant enemy crab with a big pincer.

Butterfree. It's a butterfly essentially.

Scyther and Kabutops. Their designs are similar and they're completely seperate in what they were based off of.

Voltorb and Electrode. Red and white...balls.

So really, I'm wondering where people say unimaginative, should the word simple be used instead? Or even a combination of weird and simple?

Though to set the record straight, Vallinuxe and Garbodor are not on my favorites list and I just find them weird...and Sigilpyh.

First time I saw it I went

WTF IS THAT!?!?!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 PM
Sight of the Stars Offline

Send a message via AIM to Sight of the Stars Send a message via Skype™ to Sight of the Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
i agree, especially 5th gen pokemon are very unimaginative
I cry foul on this. This statement couldn't be more foul than a chicken.

/lame

Because "Spearow" is totally a wonderfully creative Pokemon that had to have taken years to make up. I mean, look at it's name! Oh dear lord whoever came up with that unique name should be worshipped forevermore!

Oh, and what's this? Look at this Geodude! It's a rock! Good grief, you don't see a rock every day! This is a sight to behold!

Oh, what's THIS? Arbok and Ekans? Wow, what creative names! Did you know that backwards, they're Kobra and Snake? Oh my god that was so wonderfully creative. Nobody would have ever thought of that!

And Furret! Oh good grief, Furret is such a creative name, don't you think? Everyone always says that it's a rip-off of a Ferret in real life, but I don't believe them! (;

Oh and Ledyba! It looks kind of like a Lady Bug (or Lady Bird Beetle), doesn't it? And its name is so different from 'lady bug' that you could never tell what it was if you just looked at the name!

Sunflora! Flora? Flower? Sun? Sun? Sunflora? Sunflower! And look, it's a walking Sunflower! So creative!

Should I really go on with every generation like that?

Excuse my sarcasm, but I couldn't help myself. ^^; I do believe that makes my point, though. If the Generation 5 Pokemon came out as the first Generation, and the Generation 1 came out in Black and White as Generation 5, people like you would be whining about how uncreative these new Pokemon were. XDDDD

Looking down, I think I just gave a very sarcastic version of what Sabi said. XD But I love Sigilyph. <3 I don't know about you, but Volcarona is one BADASS Pokemon. That thing makes Butterfree look like a fly. Sure, you could say that it's a Fire-type ripoff of Butterfree, but there are plenty of differences between them, and not just their colors. Their body types are extremely different as well. Butterfree has a small body and big eyes, and Volcarona is the exact opposite.

Anyway, point made. cx /withdraws.
[12:38:59 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: ...So how do we do this? XD
[12:39:20 AM] Sight of the Stars: it's nothing really big, just usually a note in your sig that's all like 'paired with soandso'
[12:39:44 AM] Sight of the Stars: just be like "SIGHT OF THE STARZ IS MAH BIZNITCH"
[12:39:57 AM] GallantlyGlaceon: XDDD
[12:39:59 AM] Sight of the Stars: and I'll be like "GALLANTLYGLACEON IS MAH HOE."
Old 06-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Angel_DeArc_ Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Angel_DeArc_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight of the Stars View Post

Because "Spearow" is totally a wonderfully creative Pokemon that had to have taken years to make up. I mean, look at it's name! Oh dear lord whoever came up with that unique name should be worshipped forevermore!

Oh, and what's this? Look at this Geodude! It's a rock! Good grief, you don't see a rock every day! This is a sight to behold!

Oh, what's THIS? Arbok and Ekans? Wow, what creative names! Did you know that backwards, they're Kobra and Snake? Oh my god that was so wonderfully creative. Nobody would have ever thought of that!

And Furret! Oh good grief, Furret is such a creative name, don't you think? Everyone always says that it's a rip-off of a Ferret in real life, but I don't believe them! (;

Oh and Ledyba! It looks kind of like a Lady Bug (or Lady Bird Beetle), doesn't it? And its name is so different from 'lady bug' that you could never tell what it was if you just looked at the name!

Sunflora! Flora? Flower? Sun? Sun? Sunflora? Sunflower! And look, it's a walking Sunflower! So creative!
Bwahahahaa! You're the best critic ever! XD
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Obliveon Offline

I feel that the Pokemon Company may be running out of ideas. They should utilize some fan pokemon or Fakemon ideas. Some are so incredibly awesome that I can't believe they aren't real pokemon. As for Gen 5, I won't lie. I hate the Vanillite and Trubbish lines just becuase the first is weird and the second is disgusting. However, I also don't like Pawniard. It just looks...not like a Pokemon.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
goldwynaut Offline

OK i get it, some pokemon are simple, others are advanced. in gen1 we have an anthropomorphic: magnet, slime, pokeball and a shell, that makes 8/151 pokemon of this gen anthropomorphic objects, but in gen5 we have an anthropomorphic: ball of cotton, coffin, trashbag, ice cream cone, gear, candle and a snowflake. that makes 15/156 pokemon of this generation anthros. and that is kind of boring.

gamefreaks office:
and yeah! we should totally make a pokemon based off a gear!
what shall we call it?
GEAR!
and we should make a pokemon based off cotton
what shall we name that one?
COTTONEE!
you keep impressing me with your creativity!
and while we,re on it, we should probably make a pokemon based off a candle
name?
LITWICK! as in a lit-wick!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Phantasm.Angel Offline

Send a message via AIM to Phantasm.Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
OK i get it, some pokemon are simple, others are advanced. in gen1 we have an anthropomorphic: magnet, slime, pokeball and a shell, that makes 8/151 pokemon of this gen anthropomorphic objects, but in gen5 we have an anthropomorphic: ball of cotton, coffin, trashbag, ice cream cone, gear, candle and a snowflake. that makes 15/156 pokemon of this generation anthros. and that is kind of boring.

gamefreaks office:
and yeah! we should totally make a pokemon based off a gear!
what shall we call it?
GEAR!
and we should make a pokemon based off cotton
what shall we name that one?
COTTONEE!
you keep impressing me with your creativity!
and while we,re on it, we should probably make a pokemon based off a candle
name?
LITWICK! as in a lit-wick!
Everything in Pokemon is anthropomorphic because that refers to animals and ideas as well. You will never see a turtle in real life that looks or acts like a Squirtle, because they gave it traits to make it more human-like. And on the subject of the names, they may not be getting better, but they certainly aren't getting worse.

paired with the marvelous Eternal Moonlight, creator of the above