Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Default Bullies paying long after crime

Can an employers legally refuse a job applicant if they were previously a bully?

What do you think?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 PM
goldwynaut Offline

Default Re: Bullies paying long after crime

good. then i was in elementary school, it was this bully who just disgusted me, not only did he pick on the other kids, but he took advantage of his large-for-age size, so here was nothing the small kids could do! he bragged really much too. one day he got into a fight, it was in 9th grade, (the first time i saw him actually fighting), and he got beat up really bad! i remember the other guy landing a powerful punch straight in his face, and that was it, he sat down crying, screaming for the teacher, after all these years, he started crying after one hit. i don,t know what became of him, probably some kind of drug abuser. bullies are pathetic, and in most cases does not change.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwynaut View Post
good. then i was in elementary school, it was this bully who just disgusted me, not only did he pick on the other kids, but he took advantage of his large-for-age size, so here was nothing the small kids could do! he bragged really much too. one day he got into a fight, it was in 9th grade, (the first time i saw him actually fighting), and he got beat up really bad! i remember the other guy landing a powerful punch straight in his face, and that was it, he sat down crying, screaming for the teacher, after all these years, he started crying after one hit. i don,t know what became of him, probably some kind of drug abuser. bullies are pathetic, and in most cases does not change.
But is it legal? I'm not asking for stories; I am asking for the legality of the situation.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I dunno about whether it's legal, but it's basically just a character check/reference. The same way that people get references to say they're a good worker or smart or whatever when applying for a job. They consent to having it done on the application form, so there's no breach of privacy or anything. I don't see why it wouldn't be legal to refuse someone a job based on this particular past behaviour (bullying) when you can refuse someone a job based on other past behaviour (eg. being lazy).

I think it's a decent idea. From what I heard on the news this morning, it's only a trial and it's only one employer. It won't become a proper thing unless it helps stop bullying. I don't know if most bullies would be smart enough to realise the implications/care enough to stop because of this though. xD
Old 05-25-2012, 03:50 AM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

Being classified as a "bully" isn't a law-based label as far as I'm concerned. HOWEVER, once you get into misdemeanors, crimes / felonies, assaults / batteries, and etcetera; that's when it gets into law. Besides, by the time someone has been employed with either a full or part-time job or an occupation, it's incredibly likely that they have matured since then. Besides, most bullying comes from younger kids / pre-teens. Teenagers, too, but I don't really see it very often...and even if so, it is very, very little.

Yes, although I do agree that bullying is horrible and cowardly, I also believe that, at the same time, the "victim" of a bullying act needs to not only take action via seeking a responsible adult, but ALSO need to be taught coping techniques. The media blames "OMG TEH BULLIES" for everything in these scenarios, but it's not JUST them that needs to get their head in the game; it's the "victims" as well.

So no, unless the potential employee has some type of criminal record (generally speaking), they should not be declined an occupation or job for something stupid that they may have done in the past. That seems to me like we're making it seem okay to hold grudges like so.
And if they have been a catalyst of "bullying," but no real criminal record, they should be given a chance. Whenever supervisors notice any harassment by said employee in the work force is when they should take action.

So like I said: no, I find that to be utmostly ridiculous.

Thanks for listening! :>

Last edited by Speed-X; 05-25-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

While I dislike bullies, I'm sort of worried that this could cause unnecessary harm to some people.

After all, people do change after some time. There are likely members of society out there who were once bullies but have mended their ways and now act as upstanding citizens. Their checkered past is shameful, but that is not who they are today.

I'm not entirely sure these people should be punished for something they did long ago.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Lan.exe Offline

Send a message via AIM to Lan.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKim View Post
While I dislike bullies, I'm sort of worried that this could cause unnecessary harm to some people.

After all, people do change after some time. There are likely members of society out there who were once bullies but have mended their ways and now act as upstanding citizens. Their checkered past is shameful, but that is not who they are today.

I'm not entirely sure these people should be punished for something they did long ago.
Especially since most people don't bully just for the sake of bullying, there's always underlying issues. People should be more focused on moving forward than seeking revenge.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Being classified as a "bully" isn't a law-based label as far as I'm concerned. HOWEVER, once you get into misdemeanors, crimes / felonies, assaults / batteries, and etcetera; that's when it gets into law. Besides, by the time someone has been employed with either a full or part-time job or an occupation, it's incredibly likely that they have matured since then. Besides, most bullying comes from younger kids / pre-teens. Teenagers, too, but I don't really see it very often...and even if so, it is very, very little.

Yes, although I do agree that bullying is horrible and cowardly, I also believe that, at the same time, the "victim" of a bullying act needs to not only take action via seeking a responsible adult, but ALSO need to be taught coping techniques. The media blames "OMG TEH BULLIES" for everything in these scenarios, but it's not JUST them that needs to get their head in the game; it's the "victims" as well.

So no, unless the potential employee has some type of criminal record (generally speaking), they should not be declined an occupation or job for something stupid that they may have done in the past. That seems to me like we're making it seem okay to hold grudges like so.
And if they have been a catalyst of "bullying," but no real criminal record, they should be given a chance. Whenever supervisors notice any harassment by said employee in the work force is when they should take action.

So like I said: no, I find that to be utmostly ridiculous.

Thanks for listening! :>
I feel the exact same way.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
brandon_g Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to brandon_g Send a message via Skype™ to brandon_g

As much as I dislike bullies... It's not right to some people who have changed... on the other hand There are the people who remain the same and get criminal records. So I say this should be backed up with criminal background checks.
I am Brandon, I have 1 goal as a pokemon trainer: To become the unbeatable unlike any other... I have already become the Champion of sinnoh... and am training currently in unova to beat the Champion their.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Speed-X Offline

I mean, there's a big difference between bullying and committing crime. Seriously! Beating a kid up because he's gay is not bullying, its a freaking hate crime and assault. If a kid is harassed on Facebook by some tard, that's harassment...and he also needs to take appropriate action (reporting and blocking the imbecile).

In this context, there really is no such thing as bullying. It's either a infringment upon the law or a petty argument.

If anyone disagrees with the fact this enforcement is ridiculous, please don't hesitate to post. I'd love to have a friendly debate.

Last edited by Speed-X; 05-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

First off I'd just like to say that this is in Australia. Beating up or harrassing another kid at school probably won't get the police involved or you arrested/charged unless it's REALLY bad. People don't get sued over every little thing here either. xD So this is just a different way of trying to prevent bullying.

Also it's only for 17-22 year olds, so it's not like it follows them for the rest of their life. It's only for 4 years or so after they leave school. Most people here attend tertiary education, and will be 21 by the time they try to get a serious job anyway.

Again, it's just a character check. If an employer went to your previous boss and said "Well what is this person like? Will they make a good employee?" and the ex-boss said "No, I don't think so, in the last 3 years they have had issues with harrasssing other people and they've been in a lot of fights" then the new employer will probably not want to hire them. It's the same as asking the principal of the school what the person is like. These kids are just out of school and probably have no previous employment history which can vouch for them, so ultimately what they did 1-2 years ago is relevant. Many people here get references from their school when they leave anyway to say whether they're a good worker, punctual, motivated etc. This is just making it a formal process. It's not something that goes on a permanent record type of thing that will be with them forever.

I understand why people would think it's not a good idea, but Australian culture is VERY different to America. Character checks are already done for most jobs, so getting one from a school is not a big deal, especially when the person consents to it. I haven't had any issues with bullies and I don't hate them and want them to be punished, but this really seems like a non-issue to me. xD

Last edited by Pokemon Trainer Sarah; 05-27-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Speed-X Offline

Hmm, touché! I suppose that, being put that way, a general character check.isn't too bad. Them again, that's why I believe that you, on an application, need to list your previous employers, their contact info, etc. Well, part of the point at least. So knowing that, it doesn't seem as if the USA and AUS are really too different in that aspect. But I suppose that maybe If they went about it on a more general term instead of OMG TEH FEKING BULLAYS DOOD, these guys would get their points across better. Apologies for terrible typing. My phone DOES NOT like me. D:<
Old 05-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Is it fair that bullies can't get jobs? I hate bullies personally, form experience. But, what if they're a changed person? Obviously no one would (or should) hire a jerk, but some bullies hopefully change at some point. I guess it's good in some cases that it only goes for 17 - 22 year old people. Hopefully they are more mature and less self-conscious at that age, or whatever has caused them to go into bullying has passed over. I think people shouldn't bully. It can really affect them all through out life. Such as at a high school reunion, people remember how you were and what you did during those years. Job loss is not the only way bullying affects your life.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
tombzg56 Offline

The regular flights to Lagos are executed from almost all airports of UK. Various airlines also make direct flights as they more convenient.
_________
Cheap flight tickets to Nigeria