Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Brainiac Offline

Send a message via AIM to Brainiac Send a message via MSN to Brainiac Send a message via Yahoo to Brainiac
Default Re: WAR Planning and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
4. Require participation in every category to be eligible for ANY points.
There are teams that don't compete in a category? That seems... stupid.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

Wait a minute Bron, I don't think it's fair to include Pokemon Crater or Online TCG.

We don't even use Crater as a WAR section.

And the Online TCG is a whole new beast. The other three may be gameboy-battle based, but the TCG uses a far different system. And requires different strategies and ideas.
"We love Him because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19
Challenge me in the URPG.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Yes Brainiac, Octopus Babies didn't have a single player in RP. At all. That is why I really think we should institute ideas 2 and 4 combined together. I didn't say win every category, but participate.

Harry you know what I mean. There's multiple ways to battle online and the points need to be controlled somehow. OB won by PO, URPG, and WiFi ONLY IIRC. That's abusing the system man. Think about at least 2 and 4. I'm not saying these categories don't require a sort of skill, but something needs to be done. Please?
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 04-22-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Send a message via AIM to HKim Send a message via Yahoo to HKim Send a message via Skype™ to HKim

We didn't even have a WiFi WAR section last time.

Octopus Babies won by participating mainly in 4 of the 9 sections.

- Ultra RPG
- Pokemon Online
- Debate
- Humor

With a smattering of other sections and judge points.

And even then, they only earned 101 points. That's out of 302 points total. In other words, they earned only a third of all available points. The other teams combined earned 201 points.

Even Cullen was close to the lead, finishing at 80 points. If it won just 21 of the remaining 121 points, they would have tied for 1st. With 22 points they would have won the WAR.

Requiring participation in every section is much to harsh a requirement, especially on the smaller teams. Those teams don't have the manpower to effectively compete everywhere each week.

More importantly, it's wrong to force people to do something they don't want to do. The WAR is supposed to be fun with people using their talents to win points for their team. It's not a competition to make people do what they don't want to do.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Grassy_Aggron Offline
Nutjob Personified

Send a message via AIM to Grassy_Aggron

I'd like to add on to that for those who don't have Wi-Fi, they wouldn't be able to compete with the online teams.

...Like me. *FOREVER ALONE*

All areas need to be regulated, yeah. But that's the judge's job, is it not?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Send a message via AIM to bronislav84 Send a message via MSN to bronislav84 Send a message via Yahoo to bronislav84

Huh. Well ok I stand corrected. It was still a heck of a lot of points in URPG and PO. Come on you gotta admit the team was too online battling focused and there's a lot of points to be won in those categories. Both of those categories also require a lot of previous work to be done. Like for example, I cannot just jump in to PO and expect to win upmteen points for my team. I have to have been playing it for a while to have a shot at beating people. The same with URPG, except that I do have an account although it's very weak and most of the time I did spend on it I was basically throwing matches just for evolutions.

I am very happy with how Cullen worked out. I started up a bit late on my A material and the season was a bit short on time. REALLY sad I didn't earn any points, but with how short the seasons have been lately I'm really not surprised. I take a bit to work my plots out and there were people who had way better stuff than me consistently from the start. When I get to it I still plan to write a fanfic about just my character from that season, and maybe WWOTS's characters if she is interested. You know, just to finish the plot I still have in my head to this day. It was such a good plot.

I do agree it's harsh and wrong to force teams to participate in all categories, but there has to be a way to prevent one team that is too specialized from just dominating one or two categories for their win.

Hey Grassy if it's any concelation, I haven't had WiFi until I got a smartphone that can create a hotspot. Even then my ingame team would never have a shot at competitive battling so I just don't do it. You're not REALLY alone. *pat pat* It's another category that requires a lot of prior setup to be good at and some people just dominate while others can't even start it for various reasons. Regulation please.
Bronislav is my name and 1984 is my birth year. Call me Bron or Slavik if you can't say my full name. Banner/Ava by the illustrious Neo Pikachu Emolga R.I.P. August 13, 2007 3:45AM EST Simkha "Dosha" Bakman I loved you, Grandpa Check this out, it's really cool!

Last edited by bronislav84; 04-22-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 AM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

The WAR RP can probably be started a few weeks earlier than the actual WAR event to give it more time to build to a critical stage. It should give people time to become used to the setting and develop complex relationships with each other.

It's not like Octopus had no competitors. Certainly VILE was active with online battling and Cullen wasn't without a few key members either. However if you're still concerned about balance, it is fairly simple to just allow all sections the chance to give out an equal number of points.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 AM
bronislav84 Offline

How about we start it May first, and have the actual season start on June first and end August 31st? Do you think metal can do that? And how do you make it so sections give out an equal amount of points? You can do that?

Sure some schools start earlier than September. In fact many do, but it catches the general population. I do still think RP should give out zero points until somebody defeats the other teams. Not a Golden Snitch kind of thing, but a good chunk to make it worth holding until the end. It's been happening a lot that nobody wants to finish the thing once the points stop being given out and it just goes unfinished. We've had a couple really good plots that just died due to interest dwindling after points time ends. We would just have to figure out a way to have the plot end in 3 months....

Last edited by bronislav84; 04-22-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Typhlosion Explosion Offline
~Blast Burn

Send a message via AIM to Typhlosion Explosion Send a message via Skype™ to Typhlosion Explosion

Yeah, my school starts early August. Usually around the 7th. So if WAR isn't over before then I would probably have to lend the rest to my team to finish.

Though, if you need to end it after my school starts I'm sure my team will be able to handle it. It's very manageable if need be.

Last edited by Typhlosion Explosion; 04-22-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 AM
LS Offline

I was on OB. ^__^

I won the humor section for us(kind of) and voice acting.

Just divide the points equally among all the sections..

By the way, it is infact a WAR, in wars people use what they are best at to win.

Why would we go RP when we know we can spend more time doing battles and actually winning?

Perhaps next time, we'll have a wider variety of members for each team but I don't see why it should affect anything that much.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 AM
bronislav84 Offline

Yes, why indeed. That's the point I'm trying to raise. Ya'll got the most from just some categories, and too much in fact. If all categories can be made to give the same amount then no super specialized team can dominate only a few sections to win. It becomes more fair with all categories being worth the same amounts, since everybody's efforts are worth equal points. It's just not cool to basically rape the categories with the most point potential, not that y'all don't deserve it in your own ways.

Last edited by bronislav84; 04-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

I think we should bring back the draft system, so long as there's no ceiling. The leaders can just take it in turns choosing, so all teams are equal. If anyone wants to join after the start, the leaders can draft them at the end of the week.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
LS Offline

Nah, being put on a team you dont necessarily want to be on kind of sucks..

I guess making the point distribution more balanced would be fair.

But then how do we distinguish the smaller WAR events between the big ones?

(For example: Voice acting and URPG would give out the same points?)
Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

Maybe we could change the teams slightly this year. Designate 5 team captains each representing a region (for example, the Hoenn Hawks, Sinnoh Rampage, idk) without individual goals, aims, etc. Without these differences, it would be unlikely for a member to favour a particular team. It might take a bit of the personality of the teams out of it, but it's just a suggestion.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM
HKim Offline
Editor-in-chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS the Door Mat View Post
Nah, being put on a team you dont necessarily want to be on kind of sucks..

I guess making the point distribution more balanced would be fair.

But then how do we distinguish the smaller WAR events between the big ones?

(For example: Voice acting and URPG would give out the same points?)

I think the special events can have a different amount of points awarded than the number awarded by the sections.