Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990
Default The Atheist Alliance

A place where atheists, agnostics, and places inbetween came come and converse, share opinions, jokes, and overall create a community.

Rules:
1. All forum rules apply.
2 Be respectful.
3. If you have criticism about this Group or it's members please keep it out of the thread.
4. Everyone is welcome to join.

Please contact me (Phantom0990) if you have any questions or comments regarding this Group.

Members

PhantomX0990 (Phantom)
Megiddo Flame
Pe2K Voices
mintjelly
Cheerful Cherubi

Last edited by Phantom0990; 06-09-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Megiddo Flame Offline

Default Re: The Atheist Alliance

Count me in. I am living proof that there is no God!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

I welcome any theist to come on here and attempt to debate with us. I will join. As an Agnostic Atheist, I find more common ground with Atheists and Deists rather than Theists. It would be good for our fellow atheists to debate things around here! What should we talk about first?

I propose a debate about the Free Will defense! 8D

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Or I could provide my "Religions are potatoes" speech, that's always fun too.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM

How are they potatoes?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

It's an old analogy I made up for school.

Religions are like a sack of potatoes. You open it up and there are so many different choices for each potato.

Islam is a plain hot potato. Outside it's covered with a rough exterior skin of rituals and dogma. It's plain and to the point, and handle it too much and you're likely to be burned. It also claims to be just like the normal potatoe, but you're still likely to get burned.

Catholicism is like a loaded baked potato. This one, unlike the Islamic potatoe, has been left to cool and is 'older' than the Islamic potato. It also has a rough outer skin of rituals and dogma, but it's been opened up and 'sweetened' over time by things like sour cream, chives, butter, and cheese to make it more appealing. This is, even though it's older if you delve to far in you're still likely to get a nice burn.

Judaism is a frozen potato, it's much older than the Catholic or Islamic potato, and costs more too.

Protestants and Moderate Christians are like fast food french fries. They're a mixed up bunch, but if you look back far enough they were once a regular potato. But some have too much salt, or not enough, and some are overcooked, or cold, or soggy, or way to hot to handle. (coughWestborocoughcough).

Scientology is an empty potato sack that you have to pay to have refilled with new potatoes that are 'better' than other potatoes.

Pagans are like mashed potatoes, they look nothing like other potatoes and they have been mashed up and degraded over time.

Buddhists, Taoism, and Hinduism are asian and don't eat potatoes, they're rice instead.

Last edited by Phantom0990; 03-27-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
It's an old analogy I made up for school.

Religions are like a sack of potatoes. You open it up and there are so many different choices for each potato.

Islam is a plain hot potato. Outside it's covered with a rough exterior skin of rituals and dogma. It's plain and to the point, and handle it too much and you're likely to be burned. It also claims to be just like the normal potatoe, but you're still likely to get burned.

Catholicism is like a loaded baked potato. This one, unlike the Islamic potatoe, has been left to cool and is 'older' than the Islamic potato. It also has a rough outer skin of rituals and dogma, but it's been opened up and 'sweetened' over time by things like sour cream, chives, butter, and cheese to make it more appealing. This is, even though it's older if you delve to far in you're still likely to get a nice burn.

Judaism is a frozen potato, it's much older than the Catholic or Islamic potato, and costs more too.

Protestants and Moderate Christians are like fast food french fries. They're a mixed up bunch, but if you look back far enough they were once a regular potato. But some have too much salt, or not enough, and some are overcooked, or cold, or soggy, or way to hot to handle. (coughWestborocoughcough).

Scientology is an empty potato sack that you have to pay to have refilled with new potatoes that are 'better' than other potatoes.

Pagans are like mashed potatoes, they look nothing like other potatoes and they have been mashed up and degraded over time.

Buddhists, Taoism, and Hinduism are asian and don't eat potatoes, they're rice instead.
You forgot Mormonism. xD

The analogies are accurate, though all religions suffer from the same innate flaw.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron

No problem, so don't attempt to try to get all 'cool' with me.

Just seems that your making this group as a shot at others, and disrespecting others religions. I'm all for freedom of speech and religion, but seems like you guys might be taking it too far with this group.

Before you start making assumptions, no I'm not Christian nor Atheist, I just Love Jesus, not religion
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

I actually borrowed this group idea from PC where its been very successfull.

You've done nothing, if proved the point of this by coming in and harassing us. Its plainly titled and you don't have to read this thread. By the way, I have reported you for this.

So if by yourlogic, if I were to make an lgbt thread, it'd be anti-straight? Great logic there.

Anywyas to discusion..... I don't know about starting off the free will discussion so early, its a big one....

Who are your favorite atheist advocates? Speakers, authors, podcasts?
Myself I am partial to The Thinking Atheist, and my favorite author is Sam Harris. He's a little harsh, but he is an interesting read for it and I agree with his points.

Last edited by Phantom0990; 03-29-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
No problem, so don't attempt to try to get all 'cool' with me.

Just seems that your making this group as a shot at others, and disrespecting others religions. I'm all for freedom of speech and religion, but seems like you guys might be taking it too far with this group.

Before you start making assumptions, no I'm not Christian nor Atheist, I just Love Jesus, not religion
The group doesn't seem disrespectful to me, I think it's fine. They're not bashing religions or anything. I understand not agreeing with the group but in that case it's probably best that you stay out of the thread, or if you would like to join in discussions (as Phantom0990 has welcomed), then don't post inflammatory comments like 'lololol @ this group.' which is really just spam no matter where you post it. I deleted the posts, so hopefully you guys can be civil to each other now.

If there are any more problems on either side feel free to drop me a PM. I'll be keeping an eye on it. =)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Who are your favorite atheist advocates? Speakers, authors, podcasts?
Myself I am partial to The Thinking Atheist, and my favorite author is Sam Harris. He's a little harsh, but he is an interesting read for it and I agree with his points.
Seth Andrews seems to have the idea of what is wrong with religion. While I loved Christopher Hitchen's honesty and rational points, I thought it was a little strong to say religion poisons everything. It does not, and plenty of people use it as a way of charity. More, however, use it as a way to gain control and attack others.

Honestly though, the argument that people do nice things because of religion is a little scary. For instance, the statement that, "If you do not follow religious morals, you are therefore immoral or amoral." It's insulting and frightening, considering they are implying that the only thing keeping them from breaking moral codes is a 2000 year old book, or whatever the case may be.

My three top speakers are Seth Andrews, Neil Degrasse Tyson, and Richard Dawkins.

By the way, did anyone go to the Reason Rally!?

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 03-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Ooo, I wish I could have gone. Did you or anyone you know go? I have yet to hear any podcasts from it or anything.

But I really want to go to Reason Rally someday.

Argh, I almost got in an argument with a coworker about the Ten Commandments and courtrooms. I told him it's wrong and against the Constitution for them to be there, but he argued and said "They'll be back."

Unless god is the Terminator, no, they won't, and shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Ooo, I wish I could have gone. Did you or anyone you know go? I have yet to hear any podcasts from it or anything.

But I really want to go to Reason Rally someday.

Argh, I almost got in an argument with a coworker about the Ten Commandments and courtrooms. I told him it's wrong and against the Constitution for them to be there, but he argued and said "They'll be back."

Unless god is the Terminator, no, they won't, and shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Several of my stateside friends went. Despite the rain, they had one of the greatest times of their lives. I hear they are planning to do another in the next four years, so I am very excited. Maybe I can go! =D

While I think the first few commandments are for the birds, and are mainly just God's way of saying he is very vain, I think they are good rules. Don't kill people, don't steal things, don't be a jerk. All good. The problem I have is that those specific sets of rules are Christian. I am quite sure one can find a secular way of telling people not to be a dick.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 04-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Phantom0990 Offline

Well they shouldn't be there no matter what religion they are from. Serparation of church and state.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Quaza529 Offline

i am a theist but i respct other peoples beluefs as well people should believe what they want to believe in

as rahaga said "We dont have anything without beliefs"

Like a Baws

Last edited by Quaza529; 04-03-2012 at 07:09 AM.