Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default The Other SOPA? Canadian Bill C-11

Could Bill C-11 be an alternate SOPA for Canadians?

I myself am a Canadian and am shaking my head at this. This is not as well known as SOPA but nevertheless, in my opinion, is no better if not worse than SOPA, and needs to be mde more aware of. Nevermind just the internet, this affects nearly any sort of media you can think of.

Here is a link for some details on the bill.

For more information, you can search Bill C-11 as the entirety of it is long and massive and I don't want to scare anyone with a mass of politics that make no sense.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Eternal Moonlight Offline
The Luna Diviner

Send a message via AIM to Eternal Moonlight
Default Re: The Other SOPA? Canadian Bill C-11

Two things:

1.Words cannot express how disappointed I am in my country.

2. In all honestly, this was going to be an intelligible reply, but really, all I can say is...

WTF are we doing?!

You know what, the possibility any form of censorship, especially online, is a very slippery slope. It is very easy to take a simple notion and expand it to fit other agendas, and you can bet they won't be in our (our, in this case, referring to the "every day" consumer) favour.

Like I said, I'd have more to say... maybe later once I calm down a little.

{Activity will likely be off} {Paired with Sam }
Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

Gimme a second. *Obligitory sigh of relief* I was scared for a second there. Not that this is bad, but not even clost to what SOPA/PIPA intend to do. Huuuge difference there. For one, PIPA/SOPA intend to block user's IP adresses from sites online if the site even has a minute amount of copyright infringement. This bill is about digital locks. As angry as I am with my government right now, I'm quite pleased that we aren't getting a SOPA/PIPA. NEVER SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN.

Eternal, take a deep breath, it's not about online. Deep breaths.

I'll explain this clearly: This is NOTHING like SOPA/PIPA.

It's about digital locks. If you have an e-reader, and you buy books for it, this bill would make it illegal to use this "book", "text document" whatever, on any other system. Which is bad, but not so bad. America HAS this in place already. We do not.

So if you buy a Blu-Ray disc, the data cannot be taken off the disc and played on your computer.
If you buy a game, you cannot take the game off the disc and use it on you computer.
If you buy a game on the Apple store, you cannot take the game off of the iPod and use it on a Mac.

NOT SOPA/PIPA.

Actually not that bad.

I mean, the US already has it, so it can't be HORRIBLE, now can it?

Please change the misleading title, Sabi.

Aaaand have a nice day!

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...
Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

This is not at all another SOPA bill. The U.S, and nearly every other Westernized nation has a bill of this type in place. It essentially makes illegal acts such as "jail-breaking" or the modification of certain components of an electronic (hardware or software) device illegal.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

It's essentially a bill that everybody and their mom will ignore for however long this bill is in existence, just like every other country. Essentially Canada is wasting federal money as usual.

SOPA and PIPA-like bills will be difficult to pass in Canada due to the online privacy laws that exist that makes it inherently difficult for Canada to positionally ban IP's that access things, because IPs cannot be accessed in a conventional, sweeping manner.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Wile E Coyote Offline

Hardly worth being placed on the scale of SOPA/PIPA. This pretty much reduces down to the DRM debate that has been cycling around the net forever. Even if the Canadians to pass it, it won't be able to do anything. You put a lock on it, someone will be tempted to break the lock. Publish results to the web, and then its like the lock isn't there at all.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Slam Ander Offline

This is actually a direct equivalent of the American DMCA - which accomplished absolutely zilch.