Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

Default SOPA and PIPA

What are your thoughts on these acts? Does the U.S. government have the right to even do this? In my opinion, they do not. Many websites have taken a stand by shutting down for 24 hours. If you would like more information on these acts, read this.

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default Re: SOPA and PIPA

I do not believe nor will I ever believe that the US government has a right to do this.

The internet itself can't be policed. Such a thing would cripple the one entity in society that this day and age is growing more and more reliant on. It's a place of creative out look and extension and a very huge aspect of society that we could probably not live without. That kind of power is not meant to exist and it should not, ever. E-VER.

People make their way through websites like deviant ART and Youtube, get noticed by someone and then hey, they're on their way somewhere big in life, if not for their own enjoyment and to share with other people of the world. Honestly I've probably learned more about writing skills from role plays and fanfictions than I have from english classes in school. I'm attempting to create my own music but if I can't post it on youtube, how do I share it with anyone if the site is down? It's all part of the thing reality is slowly lacking more and more of, and that is communication.

There is always going to be the one thing causing problems somewhere, in some shape or form, cyberrealm or reality. Lets be honest, there are far more pressing and important matters in real life to be dealing with than this kind of madness that is being presented to us now.

This is too much power on a subject that is too far an open field for them to call conquest on. No. This bill, in my opinion, gives them capability of shutting down about half of what we know as the internet. Most of it is content generated by regular people who don't work in those big companies for whatever reason, based on varying circumstances that are too numerous to list.

The internet is the only thing tht gives me faith in the human race in terms of there still being intelligence, creativity, common sense, decency and no discrimination, again, something reality seems to be very lacking. Having this pass, would just kill it all.

Good for websites like Wikipedia to be protesting. I've tried explaining this to some people and they don't understand what this bill is capable of. Maybe that's because I live in Canada, but honestly, no. Everything gets affected in the end in some way.

As a member of Sonic Staduim commented:

SOPA backwards:

A
Piece
Of
S***

My name is Sabi and I do not approve of the SOPA/PIPA Acts.

EDIT:

This right here gives me some of that hope in humanity. GO OBAMA GO.

Last edited by Saraibre Ryu; 01-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
5TailedDemonLizard Offline

I completely agree with you. It is nearly impossible to censor the internet, and if the Government wants to do it, then they're abusing their power.

Let's take youtube for example. It's called YOUtube...You cant fine people who post videos of themselves singing copyrighted material. That's freedom of expression and such.

Many people in my class don't know about this and I look at them like they're crazy. I've know about, and been ticked off about, this attempt to censor the internet for a long time.

My name is Meghan Straus, and I do not approve of the SOPA/PIPA acts.

Come on, people of the internet, we need to band together to try and stop this!

GCeA Blue|GCeA Silver

"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

^Please click my eggs^

Click here for my other links!

Last edited by 5TailedDemonLizard; 01-18-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

SOPA is a ridiculous breach on free speech, the constitution, and the values of much of the Western World. Is this to become a digital Fahrenheit 451?

I am Michael Vogler, and I strongly appose SOPA and PIPA.

Hope for you all though. Nvidia, Nintendo, Sony, and many other companies are now opposing it or at least dropping support of it.

Nintendo and Sony lost every bit of respect I had for them for originally supporting the bill though.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 01-18-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Socratic Sarcasm Offline

It's a pity that the only bills that get bipartisan support are bills that are either useless or harmful. And I have to say, this falls into the latter. These bills pass, and Wikipedia, Youtube, Facebook, TvTropes, and the entire Wikia system, i.e. 95% of the internet, go down. These go down, and the internet goes from a place to share ideas to another far-too-regulated media outlet.

Needless to say:

I AM NARPHOENIX, AND I OPPOSE THESE BILLS!!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 PM
NES2 Offline

PE2K should have totally blacked out, or at least put up a front page article on this. After all, Nintendo has filed copyright infringement claims before on fan sites, and this bill would make that somewhat more threatening.

Anyways, if we did black out I wouldn't mind one bit.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Skylands Offline

Obviously I am against this bill, for reasons already mentioned. Instead of tackling online piracy, it will do everything else but that - censoring the Internet and shutting down many innocent websites. It must be stopped at all costs.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
Obviously I am against this bill, for reasons already mentioned. Instead of tackling online piracy, it will do everything else but that - censoring the Internet and shutting down many innocent websites. It must be stopped at all costs.
The US would only be slightly worse than China. :P
Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Congress is beginning to oppose the bill. Good job everyone.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

SOPA is dead.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...th-pulls-bill/

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 01-20-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 PM

Good job ladies and gentleman. It seems as though the PIPA bill might fall as well. Let us make sure the entertainment industry does not try to try to push such a bill under our noses again.

It seems that we will eventually have to come to an agreement about internet piracy. I am rather upset that Megaupload was taken down, but I suppose the damage has been dealt to both sides.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Obliveon Offline

This is bull. The government shouldn't have the right to do things like this.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
5TailedDemonLizard Offline

I'm so glad things are starting to fall into the cracks, back where they belong. I saw my first PIPA and SOPA commercial a few days ago and my entire family went "Wait...what?"

I was the only one who knew about it

GCeA Blue|GCeA Silver

"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

^Please click my eggs^

Click here for my other links!