Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Swampert Guy Offline

Question censured words in the game

I've recently read at Bulbapedia that some words were censured in Black and White. Some words cannot be used to nickname Pokemons, like "ass" and "f**k", for example. The censure goes further, some words like "Hitler", "Holocaust" and "Homo", which in fact aren't offensive , were banned either. So, my question is...

...are you in favor of Nintendo censures offensive/sexual words or do you think that the company should be more liberal in such aspect?

Last edited by Swampert Guy; 01-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Skylands Offline

Default Re: censured words in the game

It does not affect me either way, so I am indifferent. I also heard a while back the censors really screwed up when you couldn't trade a Cofagrigus on GTS without giving it a nickname (contains the f@g word within its name).
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Swampert Guy Offline

I don't mind with the censured words once that I usually don't nickname my Pokemons and even if I do, it wasn't going to be a screwed word like those. Also, NosepASS and CorFAGrigus aren't Pokemons that I'm looking for, so it doesn't matter for me if they cannot be traded without being given a nickname.

Nintendo, of course, should have foreseen that. Many trainers - like me - dislike to nickname their own Pokemons.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Obliveon Offline

You have to see things from Nintendo's perspective. Little kids play the games, so the sensors are right where they should be.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
bobandbill Offline

Send a message via MSN to bobandbill

Quote:
The censure goes further, some words like "Hitler", "Holocaust" and "Homo", which in fact aren't offensive , were banned either
Maybe not for you but given the nature of said history with the first two I would say those would be very easily offensive for other people. (That and if you're calling your Pokemon Hitler, you're not being funny or witty to any degree and might as well be censored on those grounds alone =p). In the end the words that are banned are not ones you'd have any real legit reason to use anything beyond being lame (or, well, offensive if that is your intent).

I did laugh though when they had inadvertently banned Cofagrigus, but they fixed that fairly quickly.

'Tis a parody of the game with more explanations than you can shake a pastry at.
[Banner by cieux of sppf]

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributers!

Why should you? Well, Wyanut?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

lol at this i got around this on my Gen IV ss pokes. i kloned a bunch of shiny starters and for most i trade on GTS you'll find that the OT will be (De->)*ickHole with a nickname of pubes or the like.. and i'll tell you this they get traded being that I attach something like a masterball or something worth monetary something or other like a huge nugget or something.

I love poke nicknames.. I wont use a NON nicknamed poke on any of my teams unless the moveset and IV are all tip top.
I've been getting a habit of calling my water pokemon "PokePolice" since Gen V

Pokérus Empire
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Swampert Guy Offline

Wink Re: censured words in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Maybe not for you but given the nature of said history with the first two I would say those would be very easily offensive for other people. (That and if you're calling your Pokemon Hitler, you're not being funny or witty to any degree and might as well be censored on those grounds alone =p). In the end the words that are banned are not ones you'd have any real legit reason to use anything beyond being lame (or, well, offensive if that is your intent).

I did laugh though when they had inadvertently banned Cofagrigus, but they fixed that fairly quickly.

Japaneses were allies of the Germans in the World War II, so I thought that censuring German words was a controversy.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Swampert Guy Offline

Acronyms of large words used by German in Nazi period were banned as well, like:

KZ - (refers to Konzentrationslager, the Nazi concentration camp)
SA - (refers to Sturmabteilung, the Nazi stormtroopers)
SIEG HEIL! (refers to "Sieg Heil!", a ritualistic Nazi chant)
SS - (refers to Schutzstaffe, the Nazi defence corps)
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampert Guy View Post
Japaneses were allies of the Germans in the World War II, so I thought that censuring German words was a controversy.
That doesn't matter. Iirc Japan was captured and then forced to be an ally, or something like that. I need to touch up on my history, but anywho ... Any mention of Hitler or the Nazis is banned in some countries, too, so you have to keep that in mind. I'm not sure if Japan is one of them, but I think Germany itself is because of the horrific actions that Hitler did while he was in power.

And just like Obliveon said, little kids do still play Pokemon. Even if they'll hear all that stuff when they grow up, I think a lot of parents complained to Nintendo and asked why they allowed profanity and a variety of names for genitalia to go through and demanded something be done about it. If you look at it from their perspective, they just want their kids to still be innocent before they hit the teenage years and are exposed to such words (though arguably, some are WAY too overprotective or hypocritical).

As for "homo" being censored, well, that's a deep controversial issue that I think Nintendo just wanted to avoid.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |
Closed Thread