Member List
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Black/White 2 » Pokemon: Black/White

Pokemon: Black/White Discuss the game: Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. Ask/Answer questions and discussions about Pokemon Black/White only.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Swampert Guy Offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 274
Talking Surf or Hydro Pump?

HP is got just 5 PP, it won't last long, but it's a very powerful move as long as Surf, although slightly weaker, is a more-granted hit and can be used a couple of times.

I personally prefer Surf through the game because it will last more and prevents me to go into a Pokemon Center all the time, but Hydro Pump seems a better option in linked battles and in battle towers if the team is healed after each battle.

Last edited by Swampert Guy; 12-21-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Skylands's Avatar
Skylands Offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The world may never know
Posts: 1,723
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

It's all about accuracy vs power. I almost always side with accuracy, so I fancy the move Surf.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 PM
CrazyTrainer's Avatar
CrazyTrainer Offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspotup Bang
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Gotta go with surf its way more clucth then hydro pump for hydro pump you gotta hope it hits to be honest.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Ant2011's Avatar
Ant2011 Offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jentoh
Posts: 1,604
Send a message via AIM to Ant2011
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Or you know, just do what I do. Teach Blastoise both Surf and Hydro Pump, use PP max on both moves, and then laugh hysterically as you destroy your opponents.
Click for my Sprite Comics! -><- Click for my Sprite Comics!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Graceful_Suicune's Avatar
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ashley's pants
Posts: 4,886
Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

I dislike moves such as thunder, fire blast and hydro pump, because they always miss for me! Dx And that's so annoying that I'd prefer a less powerful move that has full accuracy. However, Ant has a point!

Everyone who's still stuck here, Pe2k is Dead. It's sad, but it happened. Instead, we moved to...

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 AM
PetraHalliwell's Avatar
PetraHalliwell Offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump? This has a really good analysis on the two attacks. If you're going competitive, then nix both of them and use Scald. But, it's your call.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Tasteless's Avatar
Tasteless Offline
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 769
Send a message via AIM to Tasteless
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Hydro Pump has an 80% chance to hit for 120 base power.
So basically, 80% chance of base power of 120, and 20% chance of base power of, effectively, 0.

.8 * 120 + .2 * 0 = 96

Surf has a 100% chance to hit for 95 base power.

1.0 * 95 = 95 (obviously)

(bear in mind that for thunder and blizzard outside of rain and hail respectively, this actually gives thunderbolt and ice beam MORE average damage, because blizz/thunder's base accuracies are only 70%)

Over a long period of time, Hydro Pump will average out to a base power of.. effectively one higher than Surf. It could get some OHKOs or 2HKOs that Surf will not get and it also has a chance to miss, allowing something to kill you that shouldn't have. In addition, Surf has much better PP and especially on tanky Pokemon that will survive for longer than 5 turns, this is a big deal. Many Water-type Pokemon are bulky such as Blastoise, Swampert, Jellicent, Milotic, etc. and those should run Surf or Scald.

Scald is a good option for the aforementioned tanky Pokemon, however you do get a significant drop in power from that, which is made only bigger by the STAB multiplier. In addition, if you have other status on your team, the chance to burn could be at best, nonexistent because the Pokemon is already statused, and at worst, prevent your strategy from working correctly. You also run the chance of burning something that enjoys being burned, such as Magic Guard Pokemon (having a burn prevents them from being statused in any other way, doesn't hurt them, and most Magic Guard mons don't care about attack drop) or Guts mons. Scald is very ineffective on Pokemon that are not going to live very long, because you need to attack with it several times to have a good chance of burning. I.e., shell break Omastar should not even consider Scald.

Hydro Pump is a good option SOMETIMES. It's a good option on fragile, hyper-offensive Pokemon that will likely not live very long, or Pokemon that are absurdly boosted in hopes of getting OHKOs, such as a situation where you're wearing Choice Specs and in the rain with max special attack.

In some situations it gets some notable OHKO or 2HKO chances that Surf doesn't have. I believe for example that Choice Specs Starmie can not usually OHKO Tyranitar with Surf, but with Hydro Pump, it can. Of course you must also weigh that against the fact that it has a 20% chance to do absolutely nothing when you Hydro Pump. The cost of a turn is very large. It takes one turn for many Pokemon to set up. It takes one turn to take a fatal attack. It takes one turn to give a free switch in to something. Gotta keep that in mind.

Apparently 101% of all teenagers are homosexual. Who knew?

Last edited by Tasteless; 12-22-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM
winstein's Avatar
winstein Offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 228
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Surf is the more practical choice in-game, because not only can you use it as a HM on an essential Water-type team member (very convenient, trust me), you have more PP as a Water attack. In-game battles aren't normally ridden with Pokemon who are EV-trained, so you can normally use Surf to take them out, especially those that are weak since this move has a lot of power and always hit. Hydro Pump is not as practical, because it is not as accurate and 5PP isn't very conducive in-game, even with PP Ups, since you need to restock your PP in the most inconvenient ways. However, Hydro Pump is better in player VS player battles because it puts offensive pressure on the opponent, so it's not surprising to see opponents like Starmie and Kingdra prefer this move, especially on a Rain team.

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Swampert Guy Offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 274
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

I'll make a simple comparison between both moves:

If you use: Hydro Pump, Hydro Pump, Hydro Pump

is slightly the same as

if you use: Rain Dance, Surf, Surf

Yes, Rain Dance + Hydro Pump overcome both strages above, but if Hydro Pump fails you'll lose two turns, though.

If it's raining, so Surf power base will boost up to 142.5 (95 * 1.5)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM
ShinyBlue's Avatar
ShinyBlue Offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7
Smile Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Surf. More accurate than hydro pump which has been said a couple of times already.
PM for FC exchange.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Swampert Guy Offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 274
Thumbs up Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

Surf wins.

I declare the thread is closed!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Judge Dredd's Avatar
Judge Dredd Offline
Master of Shadows
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gold 3438-5902-8014
Posts: 33,107
Default Re: Surf or Hydro Pump?

this a very random thread. So before i lock it. I will say. Scald is a better option then both of those moves.

Dragonair: 33054
Dragonite: 33129
Level100: 33264

GCEA Link Page Pokemon Evolution List

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Design: