Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this system?
It sounds good and fair. No complaints. 7 87.50%
I still need more information. (Specify in a comment) 0 0%
You need to add more spriting options. (Specify in a comment) 1 12.50%
I have a suggestion. (Specify in a comment) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune
Default Academy of Sprite/Pixel Art Group Session - Introduction and Information

Academy of Sprite and Pixel Art Group Session
ASPA for short

Hello, and welcome! This is an information/discussion thread about the group session I will hold in the near future, which will relate to the Academy of Sprite/Pixel Art.
Please read the information below to find out about it! :D This is what I have figured out so far. Please leave your opinion and vote for an option. Thanks!

You do not have to have signed up to be an apprentice to take part in these lessons. Any member is permitted to attend and learn the lessons taught. However, you do need to be a teacher for the teaching part.

I've noticed that the Academy of Sprite/Pixel Art is sort of dying, mainly because teachers may find it difficult to constantly keep up a lesson plan up, or maybe they've become inactive. Nevertheless, this thread is here to teach people how to sprite in a group environment. Having tutorials around the place is useful, but people don't always look at them, and it's better to have an active community of spriters who help each other and learn together.

So, I decided to create this. It's related to the Academy, but not strictly. You see, some rules don't apply here, and I will be doing things slightly differently. :D So please read through these rules and such before you post. I hope you're ready to learn!

RULES- and NOTES*:
[-] No flaming, spamming or bullying.
[-] Include at least four words in each post, otherwise it is considered spam by official Pe2k rules.
[-] Whatever other Pe2k rule I didn't specify.
[*] Listen to the advice given to you.
[*] Teachers and their apprentices do not apply here. The system works slightly differently.
[*] You may discuss things about the lessons here as well as learn and post your sprite, such as any questions you have, or difficulties you encountered that others may want to learn from. However, unrelated chat should be elsewhere.
What on Earth is this thread for?
Well, young curious one, this is a thread where you will learn about spriting with fellow apprentice spriters. You will be taught by teachers such as myself. These threads will probably be put up each week with a new lesson, depending on how progression goes.

I'm an apprentice whose teacher became inactive...
This is exactly why I created this thread. As well as being a faster way, we can teach many of you at once without having to adhere to the maximum apprentices per teacher. Here you can learn from several different teachers, which is more beneficial, and gives the teachers a chance to learn a little bit from their fellow teachers as well.

What exactly happens?
What will happen is that I will set these threads up, and in the future, when this has been going for a while and other teachers show interest, me and other teachers will create lesson plans for you guys to follow and do in your own time. It will likely follow a structure, which I will post below.

Structure:
This is how the general formula will proceed:

1) A teacher such as myself will start a thread. In the title will be the lesson and the difficulty. There is a list of sprite types and their difficulties below.

2) A tutorial will be included in the thread. This will explain how to do said sprite, and there will be examples from a few of the teachers. This will include pictures and steps to aid you in understanding how the sprite works and how it's done.

3) You will then attempt the sprite and post it here.

4) A teacher (if you want a specific one, you can request them) will then critique your sprite and tell you what parts you need to improve on.

5) You can then take your sprite back and fix what the teacher suggested to fix, or you can make another one and take care not to make the same mistake. Up to you.

6) This will happen for everyone, and after that's done, you will be asked to do a couple more to test your skill. Over the course of this time, you will freely post your sprites as they are completed, and they will be critiqued in detail.

7) Once the teachers agree that all the apprentices have learned what they set out to learn, we will move onto another thread and start a new lesson.

Teachers:
There will be a few teachers for each session, and they will be responsible for aiding the apprentices in learning the current lesson. I will mention the teachers involved in the lesson in the second post of each thread (this information will always be in the first post) and the teachers will have been decided ahead of time.

Obviously, you may still tutor your students who signed you to be your apprentices for the original Academy, and only if you are interested in group lessons will you be a part of the group lessons. If you don't want to do it, you don't have to. BUT. Remember that you cannot limit your apprentices when it comes to the group lessons. Every apprentice, or, rather, every member of Pe2k who desires it, are allowed to learn from these lessons. They do not need your consent.

If you wish to take part in a lesson, you may PM me or VM me, and you may participate. There is no limit to how many teachers take part in the lessons. For now, I only really know that this will mean you can submit your own tutorials (as well as any that other teachers will provide) and you may also give overall advice, and, the important part, critique the members to help them. For every lesson, I will be creating a tutorial. This does not mean that you cannot, but only that I will be as well. The more, the merrier! :] And different styles of spriting may suit different people.

Voting:
Voting is the process of people voting (NO WAY! :O) for which lesson they want for the next lesson. There will be a preset number of choices, however, so you do not get to vote extremely freely. And we will start with the basics and work our way up.

The following is what we offer. The basics will be taught first, and then the specific types after that!
Basics:
- Recolouring
- Palette making
- Shading

Types of spriting:
- Simple fusions
- Trainers (fusion and editing)
- Eggs (colours and patterns)
- Infernos/pillow shades
- Holograms
- Retypes
- Disguises
- Revamps/devamps
- Reshades
- Chao
- Trainer
- Angels/devils

More complicated:
- Advanced fusions
- Scratching

Keep in mind that a lot of sprite types are umbrellas for lots of other sprites. :]

Okay, I think that's about it! You now can add comments, questions and opinions about this system, and tell me what you think. I'll contact all the teachers and let the other members find this on their own.

FIRE AWAY! 8D

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.

Last edited by Graceful_Suicune; 05-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Pokemon of Destruction Offline

Default Re: Academy of Sprite/Pixel Art Group Session - Introduction and Information

What about other styles of spriting and also what if they have a different way of doing other styles like a different hologram or disguises.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune
Default Re: Academy of Sprite/Pixel Art Group Session - Introduction and Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon of Destruction View Post
What about other styles of spriting and also what if they have a different way of doing other styles like a different hologram or disguises.
'Specify' means tell me which sprites you'd like to learn. xD Do you have specifics in mind?

Well, there's easy ways to do things, and then slightly more complicated ways. The latter will mostly result in better sprites. But that's why I said that the other teachers can post their own tutorials. So that people can choose how to do them. Also, generally there's a proper way and a different way, and I'd be prepared to research these 'proper' and 'right' ways. As opposed to people's ways that they've made up, which probably aren't as good as the original way.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Pokyrium Offline

May I be a Recouloring teacher, I have been practicing, and have worked on my skills.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

If you want to be a teacher, you need to sign up at the Academy--that part still stands, but the apprentice part doesn't. And actually, I was hoping to teach you some things about recolouring. xD Personally I don't think you're experienced enough to be a teacher, based on what I've seen. Teachers must be experienced and able to do a range of sprite types. In time, you may be able to advance to become a teacher. :]

And thanks for the feedback, guys.

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 AM
SuperUltraZekrom Offline

Are there any threads up yet?

Derp

MY VPP:

Level 100: 1568

Last edited by SuperUltraZekrom; 01-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

*Are there

No, not yet. Due to Christmas and such, there was a slight delay, but I plan on getting up a thread soon. :D Hang tight!

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Cheerful Cherubi Offline
Photosynthesis with Viciousness

*peeks in* I could put one up. What's necessary to start with?

Signature made by Foxamivalth!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful Cherubi View Post
*peeks in* I could put one up. What's necessary to start with?
I'll probably contact you separately. And when I get more organised. x)

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Axium Offline

Yay! It's up! *Waiting for 1st thread*
Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 PM
5TailedDemonLizard Offline

I'm going to love improving my spriting skills with this academy!! Can't wait for the first thread!

GCeA Blue|GCeA Silver

"Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

^Please click my eggs^

Click here for my other links!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Hey, guys. Sorry about the lack of updates and whatnot. I know it's been months. Dx

BUT. I plan to get this up and running once a new sprite mod is assigned to the boards. I could use mod power help. So once that's sorted out, we can start this project up, finally!

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Fushigidane Offline

Send a message via AIM to Fushigidane Send a message via Skype™ to Fushigidane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful_Suicune View Post
Hey, guys. Sorry about the lack of updates and whatnot. I know it's been months. Dx

BUT. I plan to get this up and running once a new sprite mod is assigned to the boards. I could use mod power help. So once that's sorted out, we can start this project up, finally!

~GS.
Ant is a mod now, can you start now?

Karrablast & Shelmet
Hatched at 2139
Evolves into Escavalier & Accelgor at 2279
Level 100 at 2524

Viridian Forest Forums - A Pokemon forum
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 AM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Cheerful Cherubi is also a mod, so yes, once we get things organised, I definitely plan to start this thing! Hopefully it'll be functional within the coming days.

GS>

Pokemon Crossroads!