Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Games » First & Second Generations

First & Second Generations Discuss the first and second generation games: Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Glitch Hunter Offline

Default Ice Beam vs Blizzard (Gen I)

I'm trying to consider a strategic decision I will have to make in the near future - should I go with Ice Beam or Blizzard (in general, for no particular pokemon)?
(The most likely candidates for me using one of these are my Mewtwo and my Mew, who I would only give one of the two in order to use the remaining three moves for non-ice type attacks.)

Ice beam, if I remember correctly, has a power of 65 and an accuracy of 100%. Blizzard has a power of 120 and an accuracy of 90% (it was not reduced to 70% until later). Both have a 10% chance to freeze target.

Now, doing the math, 120 * 0.9 = 108 > 65, leaving Blizzard as the obvious choice, but this ignores the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility (yes, I'm applying economics to pokemon battles), which in this context would refer to the decreasing value of power as it becomes less likely that it will be necessary (ie, if a pokemon would immediately faint from either a 65 hit or a 120 hit, both are worth the same). As power becomes more unnecessary, accuracy becomes more valuable in relation to power, especially in close matches that could be lost by a miss. I do not know how drastic this effect would be.

Does anyone have any data on which one would be better than the other in the context of high-level player vs player battles?
(Also, if it matters, I'm playing blue version.)

(Also, the rarity of TM13 for Ice Beam is not a concern for me. I have 128 of them. Missingno for the win.)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Silvalfo Offline

Default Re: Ice Beam vs Blizzard (Gen I)

Well, Ice Beam's power is 95, not 65.
In Gen I, Blizzard is a safer choice. Even if you consider it being an average of 108 damage (and 9% of freezing) against 95 damage and 10% freezing, you should put into account the amout of times Blizzard is going to be a 1 Hit KO while Ice Beam would only 2 Hit KO, and etc.
All in all, I'd say Blizzard is better, except maybe on Chansey, who actually needs more PP due to epic stalling power. Both my Mew and Mewtwo have Blizzard and I regret nothing.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Moe2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvalfo View Post
In Gen I, Blizzard is a safer choice. Even if you consider it being an average of 108 damage (and 9% of freezing) against 95 damage and 10% freezing, you should put into account the amout of times Blizzard is going to be a 1 Hit KO while Ice Beam would only 2 Hit KO, and etc.
All in all, I'd say Blizzard is better, except maybe on Chansey, who actually needs more PP due to epic stalling power. Both my Mew and Mewtwo have Blizzard and I regret nothing.
listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about lol
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Glitch Hunter Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvalfo View Post
Whoops, must have misread the number... that alters the statistics significantly...

Ok, thanks, that's what I suspected. I wasn't sure whether Ice Beam would be a 1-hit KO at higher levels (I notice that at least in the older generations, pokemon tend to faint within a couple of moves, if that).
Closed Thread