Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Groups/Clubs

Groups/Clubs Start a Pokemon or non-Pokemon related Group/Club for your favorite topic. Whether it's a group/club for one of the good guys like Ash, Misty, or Brock, to the villains like Team Rocket, Team Magma, and Team Aqua. Your group can be whatever you want.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon
Default We Love Music 3, Tríú Eagrán

We Love Music ♥

[Third Edition]

Welcome again to the third incarnation of We Love Music! Previously lead by Mitchell [enormousfaggotwhoisparanoid], better known as The Maple Syrup Baptist. Recently, as his
life has improved in quality, he has decided he has no time or use for PE2k anymore and has left. With his leaving, he passed the thread onto me to lead it.

We Love Music is a club to freely discuss anything and everything in the music world, be it Electronica, Gangster Rap, Progressive Rock, Smooth Jazz or Traditional Heavy Metal!
We encourage open minded and free discussions about music, so if you are up for that, please just drop a message and join the club!

Under Mitchell, it was encouraged for there not to be any arguments over music. However, I feel arguments are the spice of life if valid points are made!
But, because debates can get heated, it's discouraged to become extraordinarily vulgar and to try and keep all arguments civilized. We are not barbarians.

Last edited by Sloddikus; 09-08-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Send a message via AIM to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via MSN to ReclusiveDemon Send a message via Skype™ to ReclusiveDemon
Default Re: We Love Music 3, Tríú Eagrán

The Rundown of Information

[construction still in progress, more info to come]

How to Join

Perhaps you're wondering, "Boy, how do I join this fine establishment of a club," or "Golly, I'd sure love to be a part of these discussions! If only I was a member..."

Well, it's very simple how to join: just post! WLM3 enjoys exactly the same open door policy to coming and going that WLM2 always had. If you want to post, just post! No strings attached!

When you first post in the thread, if you want to list your favorite bands and genres to introduce yourself, that's perfectly acceptable, but you don't have to do it if you don't want to!

Last edited by Sloddikus; 08-15-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
ReclusiveDemon Offline

Final reserve.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
karmachameleon Offline

Send a message via AIM to karmachameleon

I thought I'd kick things off here in WLM3 by quickly reviewing approx. one grip of pillows albums, a majority of their pre-new millennium discography.

are:

Sawao Yamanaka - rhythm guitar, vocals
Yoshiaki Manabe - lead guitar
Shinichiro Sato - drums

Guest musicians:

Tatsuya Kashima - bass (Kool Spice-Runners High)
Jun Suzuki - bass (Happy Bivouac)

Kool Spice (1994)

Jazz ethos makes this ambitious album truly stand out among the rest. Excellent musicianship from Sato and Manabe especially, best exemplified in the cheery opener Monochrome Lovers and the more classical jazz-influenced second track, lead the way through the short seven song, thirty minute album. Despite its length, I felt it accomplished its goals nicely in a concise manner and didn't need to be any longer. Four extremely well-written cool-jazz compositions, including the aforementioned upbeat second track, Koi No Spy Ni Kiwotsukeru, the reflective beauty of Twilight Park Waltz, and the funk-lite Sha-La-La-Lla, shepherd the album into two rockier (in a classic vein) tracks, ending with the Marley-influenced reggae of Akanai Tobira No Mae De, leaving the album with a nice amount of variety. There's not a truly weak track on the album, though I like the two rougher tracks a bit less than the other five.

Standout tracks:
Monochrome Lovers
Koi No Spy Ni Kiwotsukero
Twilight Park Waltz
Sha-La-La-Lla
Akanai Tobira No Mae De

Album Rating: 8/10

Living Field (1995)

Following up their successful 1994 foray into light jazz came 1995's Living Field, which continued along that path. Clocking in at forty-five minutes, Living Field accomplishes the longevity lacking in the previous album without compromising all that much; there's not a truly weak track here. The variety from the last album is back and to an even higher degree; between the atmospheric guitar in Angel Fish, the supreme serenity of Sunday, the catchy pop of Daydream Wonder, the blistering riffs in The Killing Field, and the gorgeous reggae-inspired Native World, you surely won't get bored of this album all too quickly.

Standout tracks:
Angel Fish
Daydream Wonder
Swinger's Night Club
Something Like A Romance
Native World
Bye Bye Sweet Pain

Album Rating: 8/10

Little Busters (1998)

After 1997's Please Mr. Lostman put them on the map, the pillows released Little Busters in 1998 to follow suit, reinforcing a new power pop sound that would become a trademark of theirs. While Little Busters certainly feels like a cornerstone album in their career, one that seems like it would be a fan favorite, the melodies aren't as strong as they would be a few albums down the road, and the compositions aren't nearly as intricate as in previous albums. To be blunt, there's a bit too much raw pop for my liking, but it's not overwhelming; it's still a solid album. Kicking things off with a bang in the form of Hello, Welcome to Bubbletown's Happy Zoo, glossing over the solid Another Morning, One Life, That House, Nowhere, and Patricia, and ending on a triumphant final note with the simple-yet-effective title track (I'd just like to add that the penultimate track, Black Sheep, is a terrible track on its own, but serves as a terrific lead-in to Little Busters) that was the perfect soundtrack to the final moments in Fooly Cooly (the anime I've neglected to mention that probably gave the pillows their biggest source of publicity due to their songs being the entire soundtrack), Little Busters is sure to get your toes a-jumpin' and jivin'.

Standout tracks:
Like A Lovesong (Back to Back)
Little Busters

Album Rating: 6/10

Runners High (1999)

An album that peaks very, very highly, but might be filled with even more filler than their previous album. Runners High is less poppy and more indie rockish than Little Busters, funnily enough coming out a few years before the indie rock scene would sweep the globe. Instant Music (featuring an uncontrived, truly psychedelic lo-fi music video) into Juliet is pure indie rock/pop bliss, the title track is embarrassingly catchy, and the instrumental Paper Triangle proves the pillows can still hang with the best contemporary songwriters.

Standout tracks:
Instant Music
Juliet
Paper Triangle
Runners High

Album Rating: 5/10

Happy Bivouac (1999)

Following the power-pop/rock blueprint Little Busters laid down, but actually coming through with consistently strong melodies and songwriting, Happy Bivouac is the best work I've heard from the pillows. Every single track is strong, from the pure energy of Last Dinosaur, to the indie epic Beautiful Morning With You, to the… I could name a strong facet of every song, but that would be inelegant and boring. The album's a bit of a Pixies tribute, with the last lines of Back Seat Dog singing the chorus to the Black Francis classic Here Comes Your Man, and the eighth song actually being named after the Pixies' bassist, Kim Deal; both the song and the woman are absolutely beautiful (before you judge, I don't think she's hot, rather, she's beautiful in an organic way).

Standout tracks:
Rush
Last Dinosaur
Back Seat Dog
Kim Deal
Funny Bunny
Beautiful Morning With You

Album Rating: 9/10

My ten or so favorite pillows songs, in descending order; you should definitely check them out:
10. Something Like A Romance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H7UcL4FnXQ
9. Little Busters - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNN9GIbsS0
8. Native World - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2loPRN17Pg
7. Paper Triangle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5lKaeeBsu8
6. Daydream Wonder - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tNWwsuLen0&ob=av3n
5. Twilight Park Waltz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGAkTtAUnw
4. Kim Deal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsL_AM8Xljo
3. Monochrome Lovers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-BJ9KqFiQ
2. Instant Music (do not watch if crudely drawn bear phalluses frighten you) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7IYGzzkUQ
1. Last Dinosaur - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTM_Me312S4

Last edited by karmachameleon; 08-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
3m0d0ll Offline

Send a message via AIM to 3m0d0ll Send a message via Skype™ to 3m0d0ll

:'DDD

^ Can't wait. I'll be going to three dates and it's going to be an epic weekend. <3
Old 08-27-2011, 02:56 AM
Charbok Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charbok Send a message via MSN to Charbok Send a message via Skype™ to Charbok

hey just wanted to join here's my favorite song its not the best but it's my favorite from a more personal standpoint and for reasons that it helped me make it through the tough times in my life that happen when im feeling sadder anyway here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvujgcbaCF8
Old 08-27-2011, 05:05 AM
MaskedJackal Offline

Send a message via AIM to MaskedJackal Send a message via MSN to MaskedJackal

All right i will start off by posting this brootal slam classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxS8...eature=related
Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
CandleJack Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to CandleJack

Oh, Hi.

Here's some Weather Report.

Oh, bye.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon_Ron Send a message via Skype™ to Pokemon_Ron

Just saying, amazing album.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post

Just saying, amazing album.
Tha Carter II was sooo much better.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgmental Arceus View Post
Tha Carter II was sooo much better.
Tha Carter I was the best, lyrically. Just the production in Carter IV was amazing. best rap album in yeaaars.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Judgmental Arceus Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Judgmental Arceus Send a message via Skype™ to Judgmental Arceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon_Ron View Post
Tha Carter I was the best, lyrically. Just the production in Carter IV was amazing. best rap album in yeaaars.
Lyrically Wayne was the best when he was working with DJ Drama.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:50 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgmental Arceus View Post
Lyrically Wayne was the best when he was working with DJ Drama.
The Dedication mixtapes have nothing on Tha Carter series. Dedication 2 was mostly a joke, while Dedication 3 was all about starting to promote Young Money.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Orthar Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orthar Send a message via MSN to Orthar Send a message via Skype™ to Orthar

Lyrically, Lil' Wayne is garbage.
Musically, Lil' Wayne is garbage.
As a "musician", Lil' Wayne is trash.

Try harder.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Pokemon_Ron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthar View Post
Lyrically, Lil' Wayne is garbage.
Musically, Lil' Wayne is garbage.
As a "musician", Lil' Wayne is trash.

Try harder.
I never knew just because Lil Wayne can't play guitar would make him "not a musician". nice try though.