Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

View Poll Results: What is your religion? (or in the case of atheism, lack of)
Atheist 23 28.40%
Christianity 31 38.27%
Islamic 1 1.23%
Buddhism 2 2.47%
Sikhism 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Jedi 6 7.41%
Other 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superiortrader7 View Post
Chrisitan all the way
May I ask why you are a Christian?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Megiddo Flame Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
You are not classified an Atheist if you think the Bible is full of crap. The question is, Megiddo, do you believe in God?
Nope. I REALLY am Atheist!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Melusine Offline

Jedi. I recite the code every morning and I keep my double-bladed blue lightsaber under my bed.

All joking aside, I actually consider myself to be agnostic.

Hatch: 25
Dewott: 61
Samurott: 118
Level 100: 310
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
winstein Offline

I am a Baha'i. The religion is established relatively recent compared to others, at the year of 1844.

By the way, Jedi is a religion? That's news to me.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Captain Jack Harkness Offline

I love these discussions!

I don't believe in any form of religion. There's too much evidence against a big man in the sky watching over us. And the theory of evolution has been proved time and time again. What I believe is there could be some kind of sentient consciousness that has overseen the entirety of the universe from birth and is in all time frames, ensuring everything evolves and continues to plan. However, what this entity is is beyond human comprehension so we call it god.

Humans, and even animals are all too 'special' to be just nothing. While the eye has evolved via evolution, there must be something that makes humans different and unique. No two people are the same, and we all are different in every possible way. The intervention of some consciousness? Perhaps. But we are far to stupid to comprehend its existence.

I also am a firm believer there is other life out there. Surely in this vast universe, the odds are stacked against us being the only ones here.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein
By the way, Jedi is a religion? That's news to me.
Yes; it's called Jediism. I have a feeling people thought it was a joke option, and subsequently voted for it. I was being completely serious when I put it up there; I listed every religion I knew of and that was one of them.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Harkness View Post
I love these discussions!

I don't believe in any form of religion. There's too much evidence against a big man in the sky watching over us. And the theory of evolution has been proved time and time again. What I believe is there could be some kind of sentient consciousness that has overseen the entirety of the universe from birth and is in all time frames, ensuring everything evolves and continues to plan. However, what this entity is is beyond human comprehension so we call it god.

Humans, and even animals are all too 'special' to be just nothing. While the eye has evolved via evolution, there must be something that makes humans different and unique. No two people are the same, and we all are different in every possible way. The intervention of some consciousness? Perhaps. But we are far to stupid to comprehend its existence.

I also am a firm believer there is other life out there. Surely in this vast universe, the odds are stacked against us being the only ones here.

Just my two cents.
I agree with you, or understand you mostly.

A) The human eye isn't actually all that complex, and is actually more poorly constructed than other animals, such as the Octopus.

B) What makes you think that? Look at things at the atomic level. Those small little atoms form molecules, which in turn, form protein and DNA, which form cells, which later evolved by combining with other cells, which lead to what we are today. It was not like it happened in a few hundred years. What you have to understand is that four billion years is an awful long time.

Everything you see is made of elements that are made of atoms, that are made of quarks, that are made from even smaller particles.

I do not find it that hard to comprehend the creation of the Universe, or more recently the scientific community has started to favor the multiverse theory, so Universes. It has been explained in human form by the great mind, Stephen Hawking.

See, what you are doing is what a lot of believers do. You believe in the God of the Gaps. Whether you like it or not, you believe in what is called God. You believe that anything not explained indefinitely by science should be filled with the belief that, "God did it." Which, is quite silly, since that God has been shrunk into almost a microscopic level.

"Where did the Big Bang come from?"

You believe some kind of deity or life created the Big Bang.

I have come to believe that an alien, named Ted, blew up his apartment trying to make beer. You have your unsubstantiated theories, and I have mine. ;)

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 09-14-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatini Jejunator View Post
Yes; it's called Jediism. I have a feeling people thought it was a joke option, and subsequently voted for it. I was being completely serious when I put it up there; I listed every religion I knew of and that was one of them.
... you know a disturbingly few number of religions...

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Captain Jack Harkness Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
I agree with you, or understand you mostly.

A) The human eye isn't actually all that complex, and is actually more poorly constructed than other animals, such as the Octopus.

B) What makes you think that? Look at things at the atomic level. Those small little atoms form molecules, which in turn, form protein and DNA, which form cells, which later evolved by combining with other cells, which lead to what we are today. It was not like it happened in a few hundred years. What you have to understand is that four billion years is an awful long time.

Everything you see is made of elements that are made of atoms, that are made of quarks, that are made from even smaller particles.

I do not find it that hard to comprehend the creation of the Universe, or more recently the scientific community has started to favor the multiverse theory, so Universes. It has been explained in human form by the great mind, Stephen Hawking.

See, what you are doing is what a lot of believers do. You believe in the God of the Gaps. Whether you like it or not, you believe in what is called God. You believe that anything not explained indefinitely by science should be filled with the belief that, "God did it." Which, is quite silly, since that God has been shrunk into almost a microscopic level.

"Where did the Big Bang come from?"

You believe some kind of deity or life created the Big Bang.

I have come to believe that an alien, named Ted, blew up his apartment trying to make beer. You have your unsubstantiated theories, and I have mine. ;)

I understand and agree to some extent. If im brutally honest, I think the whole idea of the 'entity' i spoke of is more perhaps of a comfort. The fact that we have no real reason to our existence somewhat scares me, especially the ultimatium we know as death. The ideal that there is nothing after life is a very terrifying prospect.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
... you know a disturbingly few number of religions...
I think it's because I've been exposed to so few, the abrahamic ones, at school. Those are the only ones I've really ever heard of.

How many major ones did I miss?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 PM
White Knight Offline

Out of curiosity, do you know any Jedi-ists?

Thanks Pokemon Trainer Sarah!
ASB|VPP

Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Harkness View Post

I understand and agree to some extent. If im brutally honest, I think the whole idea of the 'entity' i spoke of is more perhaps of a comfort. The fact that we have no real reason to our existence somewhat scares me, especially the ultimatium we know as death. The ideal that there is nothing after life is a very terrifying prospect.
I agree. It is a very frightening aspect that after death, nothing happens to you. I completely agree with you. But, I find it an even scarier thought that if I screw up in this life, I have the chance to be damned to eternal hell-fire, or, if I am good in life, I get to serve God for eternity. Both sound scary.

I look at it this way. Live life to the fullest. Be nice to people just to be nice to people, and enjoy yourself. If you are genuinely a good person, and a deity does exist, then I am sure that if God is an understanding entity, he will let you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatini Jejunator View Post
I think it's because I've been exposed to so few, the abrahamic ones, at school. Those are the only ones I've really ever heard of.

How many major ones did I miss?
Agnosticism, Shinto, Taoism, Zen, Confucianism, Humanism, Dualism, Zoastrian, Sith, and an assortment of little tiny ones in Africa. xD
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know any Jedi-ists?
Not personally, no. But according to this thread, I've spoken to a few. :p

EDIT@Voices: The funny thing is I'm aware of agnosticism, Shinto (Japanese), Taoism and Zen (buddhist). I just completely forgot to list them. I basically put the major abrahamic religions and forgot the rest.

And unfortunately none of those are taught in the school I go to, or even mentioned. I've always known agnosticism, but the only reason I know the latter three is because of research after references in Pokemon. :|

It was Darmanitan that lead me to read up on Zen. XD I read up on Shinto after I became interested in Japanese mythology and legend (the creation story is a little odd), and I've only heard of Taoism, but am not sure exactly what it entails.

Last edited by Etymology; 09-14-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Taoism and Shinto teaches that one should respect nature.

Confucianism is more like a philosophy for learning rather than a religion.

Zorastrianism was the basis for the Bible and most of the Abrahamic beliefs.

Dualists believe in there being a light and dark side of the spirit, and that there must be a perfect balance in each.

Anymore questions? ;D
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Max0596 Offline

Send a message via MSN to Max0596

Yeah, Sith was in your list. What'swiththat?

|||||||||||||||Enjoy the moment!
|||||||||||||||I take requests...if you want stuff, I mean...