Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

View Poll Results: What is your religion? (or in the case of atheism, lack of)
Atheist 23 28.40%
Christianity 31 38.27%
Islamic 1 1.23%
Buddhism 2 2.47%
Sikhism 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Jedi 6 7.41%
Other 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM
PetraHalliwell Offline

Default Re: What religion are you?

Right now, I practice Christianity, but once I turn 18 or something, I'm going to practice Wicca.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraHalliwell View Post
Right now, I practice Christianity, but once I turn 18 or something, I'm going to practice Wicca.
Oh hey, someone who actually knows that you have to be 18 to join a Wicca coven.
And then I looked at your username and let out the fiercest of sighs.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:17 AM
fels Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
Oh hey, someone who actually knows that you have to be 18 to join a Wicca coven.
What are you getting a-

Quote:
Patra was one of the three "Skank" demons
o i c
Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 AM
Temporal Diamond Offline

Send a message via MSN to Temporal Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fels View Post
What are you getting a-
Charmed. The Halliwell sisters. Obviously a fan of that show, not that I am but I ain't that hardcore.

ASB | VPP | Poetry | Art

Click please? :3
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Wolf Speaker Offline

I'm agnostic. I guess I'm a very neutral person with objective views on almost anything. You can't prove there's a God, but you can't prove there isn't one either. I'm all for freedom of religion. In fact, I think there's some kind of...entity, that we all believe in, no matter our religion...kind of like how Venus and Aphrodite were two faces of the same goddess, but not exactly. It's more the actual power of believing in something, I think. Or something. I have no idea how to put it into words.

I believe in Jesus. That's something I recently discovered. Not necessarily that he came back to life or walked on water or whatever. I believe in his message: you know, to love everybody. But when you think of about it, love, friendship, generosity, kindess, etc. are just the values of any good person. So I just think it would be really great if everybody could just get along. :/

I'm not quite sure what my stance on God is. There are some things that just don't make sense. But this is what I think: the bible was written by people. There's no clear way of knowing what God really wants or says, you know? And, in my opinion, a lot of stuff in the bible is metaphorical. A lot of people know this, but I guess the problem is the few guys who take everything they read at face value. :p

I know that I don't have the strength to put all of my faith in somebody I don't know for sure is there, to give everything I have for them. I really admire those who can. I don't know, I just...can't do that.

I talk too much.

Hatch: 25
Vanillish: 115
Vaniluxe: 151
Level100: 310
Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM
MoonKit Offline

Send a message via MSN to MoonKit

I honestly believe in both Ancient Greek and Ancient Egyptian (Thus I believe in 50% of the Roman because Greek=Roman (Jupiter=Zeus etc.)). I have no idea what you'd call that.

I honest to goodnessly don't believe in the so called 'god', because there is no given proof that he is real. The Bible, in my opinion, isn't all that matters, and miracles are caused by...well...I don't know, nor do I care. Luck, probably. I believe in Zeus and Ra. Not God.

Also notice I don't go to no Church place, because if I did, I would have shot myself by now. I am honestly not going to read a whole bible on my religion every darn Sunday/Saturday.

I was, however, a christian when I was little, but I lost all faith in god over the years because my friends family kept randomly dying (Paranorma much), and I've seen one of their parents die out of the corner of my eye. The same happened with my Puppy, who was in perfect health at the time, had never had a single raisin etc. that dogs cant eat. It hadn't been shot or anything...it just died when it was asleep somehow.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
MrPolarZero Offline

I was baptized as a Christian but I act like an Atheist.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Swampert Guy Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPolarZero View Post
I was baptized as a Christian but I act like an Atheist.
Me too.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

I am atheist, and here are some of my reasons for why I am.

I was born Roman Catholic, went to Catholic school since kindergarden. A lot of crap had happened that made me question religion, and the more I questioned the less sense it made. But when I say I was Catholic, I mean it. I was an alter server, I was in the choir when I wasn't on the alter. Went to mass five times a week, (serious, every Friday with school, then two masses Saturday and two on Sunday) I was even a youth group leader and lead Bible classes.

I was raised a devout member of the Roman Catholic Church. I went to private catholic school since I was in kindergarten. (Graduated from a school of the LaSallian rite, taught by Christian Brothers) (graduated in 2009) Which meant I took a minimum of two theology classes a year in elementary and middle school, in high school a minimum of four (two a semester), aside from a life of religion. That's thirteen years of uniforms and cramming Christian dogma down my throat. Two relatives are priests, my grandfather is a respected member of the Eastern Orthodox Church, and one of my best friends is joining the priesthood; my grandparents even run a food shelf "Trinity Mission" which I am still a part of. I was an alter server for twelve years, received four of the seven sacraments (Baptism, Eucharist, Confession, and, sadly, Confirmation). I also took a theology class in college as well as three philisophy classes... I've also taken a World Religions course (Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, and Judaism)((that one was actually taught at my Catholic high school... they removed the class soon after... guess why)) and a in-depth class on the Catechism of the Catholic Church. My move to atheism was hardly an uneducatd decision.

I had always doubted. The more classes and the more I learned the more I started to question. It started when my mother got cancer when I was in 7th grade. I thought what God would do this to someone? It's a question that I understand is asked quite often. The Church had no answer than "God's will".
As a young person I found this frustrating.

I believe that I was agnostic for most of my life, unsure of what to believe. The more questions, what I've seen, what I've lived through, they make no sense in a world with a loving God. I've lost friends to war, I saw the towers fall, my mom almost died, my best friends mom as well. I volunteer freaking everywhere, nursing homes, animal shelters, food shelves. I tried other religions, most in study, a few by practice but none made any sense. The last straw was when my church's priest was diagnosed with dementia and lost his mind, and the new priest was amazingly corrupt, and an alcholic to boot. The old priest was a good man, a man worthy of respect. Now he doesn't know who he is anymore. (he passed away recently) The last mass I ever served was one he attended nine months after being diagnosed. He couldn't follow mass anymore. He would stand, and yell at the nurse with him that he wanted to leave because he was scared. He became aggitated and hit her. I almost cried when I saw this, but controlled myself because I was serving at the time. I was really close to that priest and to see him like this. Such a good man and a man of great faith, how could his god allow that? And this new priest was power hungry. Within two years he basically took over the Diocese, becoming the main priest for four churches. He was cruel and cared only for himself. Not only that but he told me, after twelve, almost thirteen years of service, that I could no longer be an alter server (note for those who aren't Catholic, there are ADULT servers) because I was female.

This enraged me. After years of dedication and service I am thrown aside because I was female? He said, "You could still be in choir, you just can't be on the altar." It was insane, this new sexist son of a ***** was supposed to lead me in my faith? Hell no. That's when I started researching religion in it's full, not just what my teachers were throwing at me. I found the mass cruelty, gore, violence, and death that follows religion. The sheer mass of violence caused by it and it's so called 'good word'. I realised I was simply following thousands of years of murder and death.

I learned about other religions every given chance I could get, and while some did not have as violent a history as others, none made sense to me.

I came to the notion that there was no god, and no religion to worship. I now think that faith, especially the faith and indoctrination found in religion, is dangerous. Something not to be trifled with.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Welcome to the ranks, Phantom0990.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the ranks, Phantom0990.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Negative Zone Offline

Well I think anything's possible. For all we know, maybe the Greeks were right, haha.

I do lean more towards Catholicism, as it's how I was brought up, and atheism because it makes quite a lot of sense.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
I came to the notion that there was no god, and no religion to worship. I now think that faith, especially the faith and indoctrination found in religion, is dangerous. Something not to be trifled with.
That's probably the most interesting way I've ever seen anyone coming to atheism.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Phantom0990 Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Phantom0990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Speaker View Post
I believe in Jesus. That's something I recently discovered. Not necessarily that he came back to life or walked on water or whatever. I believe in his message: you know, to love everybody. But when you think of about it, love, friendship, generosity, kindess, etc. are just the values of any good person. So I just think it would be really great if everybody could just get along. :/

I'm not quite sure what my stance on God is. There are some things that just don't make sense. But this is what I think: the bible was written by people. There's no clear way of knowing what God really wants or says, you know? And, in my opinion, a lot of stuff in the bible is metaphorical. A lot of people know this, but I guess the problem is the few guys who take everything they read at face value. :p

I know that I don't have the strength to put all of my faith in somebody I don't know for sure is there, to give everything I have for them. I really admire those who can. I don't know, I just...can't do that.

I talk too much.
Everything else you said made sense with agnosticism, but this.

Issues I found.

1. Jesus and the god of Abraham are one in the same. It's called the Trinity. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. They are one and yet separate. You can't believe in one without all the others. Jesus is supposed to be the son of god, you don't believe in God, you don't believe in Jesus, simple as that. It can't happen... it's a paradox. They throw in the Holy Spirit just to make you feel fuzzy inside.

2. You don't have to follow a religion to be a good person. Just because religion is absent in a person's life doesn't mean that morals are as well.

3. Christianity isn't the only religion you know. In fact if your all for being mushy lovey with people I would suggest numerous Eastern religions and meditations that offer the same thing. Here are some; Jainism, Buddhism, Taoism, Pantheism (long shot), or even Unitarian Universalism.

Please look past sarcasm, I'm just a very sarcastic person.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Zone View Post
Well I think anything's possible. For all we know, maybe the Greeks were right, haha.

I do lean more towards Catholicism, as it's how I was brought up, and atheism because it makes quite a lot of sense.
You seem to be more agnostic than anything else.