Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

View Poll Results: What is your religion? (or in the case of atheism, lack of)
Atheist 23 28.40%
Christianity 31 38.27%
Islamic 1 1.23%
Buddhism 2 2.47%
Sikhism 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Jedi 6 7.41%
Other 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Etymology Offline
~VRAAHBRBRBR!~

Send a message via AIM to Etymology
Default Re: What religion are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0596 View Post
Yeah, Sith was in your list. What'swiththat?
It's the opposite of Jediism, I assume.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 AM
Broderick Offline

Send a message via AIM to Broderick Send a message via MSN to Broderick

I would fall into the 'agnostic' category.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0596 View Post
Yeah, Sith was in your list. What'swiththat?
It is the opposite of Jedi. xD
Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM
MrPolarZero Offline

+1 Atheis..
Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Sheepat Offline

I'm personally a christian. I've studied up on evolution, and it's too many holes poked into it (Back to Flame Bunker for me) and it's far too obvious that a 'big man' is up there.

Also, another thing: When people say "Science has proven" they forget that science is never 'proven' it is only accepted. Science is always changing, and there are some great ideas that would work in theory, but are 'proven' to be wrong.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Please name some holes in evolution.

Religion, if you look, is dynamic as well. You no longer lynch homosexuals or kill disobedient children. So, with that argument, why believe in God? I thought it was perfect, so why would it change its mind?

Also, considering that things such as gravity are empirical, not everything changes in science. Only things such as theoretical science or facts (the hierarchy of such things has been stated multiple times in multiple threads here, aka, Law>Theory>Fact>Hypothesis). One would be idiotic and illogical to deny the water cycle, heliocentric solar system, or the fact that Earth is round (all things science alone has discovered).

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 11-22-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Sheepat Offline

I'm just stating my beliefs. I'm not looking for an argument. Just read Logic's End, which is a christian science fiction. I forget who it's by though.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Do not post about your beliefs unless you are prepared to defend them. Now answer. What flaws are there in evolution. YOUR words.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Daze Offline

I'm a christian, and although I don't see any flaws in the evolution theory, I still believe in christianism.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Sheepat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Do not post about your beliefs unless you are prepared to defend them. Now answer. What flaws are there in evolution. YOUR words.
Fine. Look at animals in the wild. A lot of them have a unique aspect: Tails. They can be used to balance, for an extra limb for climbing. It would easily help humanity. Yet how come we don't have tails?

Also, many changes in our body, for instance a sixth finger, is not there in the next generation. If it takes millions of years for us to evolve, we'd at least see SOME change.

Let's take evolution to a deck of cards. We shuffle them and shuffle them, and we expect new things. For instance, let's say said deck of cards has only diamonds. If I shuffle them, they only become bent and ruined. There is no change. The diamonds do no become spades.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 PM

First of all, your analogy is horrible.

Second of all, you do not clearly grasp what Natural Selection is, though you do have somewhat of an idea.

A) Creatures do not spontaneously form anything that helps them. Organisms weed out anything that damages them or is unneeded.

That is something that many fail to realize. It is weeding out.

B) Organisms do not spend energy to adapt to a situation that is not there. Humanity has evolved to the point where there are very few recurring problems that need to be dealt with. War is the only thing one could state, and even that has evolved.

Overall, you really have no argument. Those are not holes in the theory, those are simply misunderstandings.

Now. Let me see here. Let us talk about your beliefs. So many holes in that, I don't even want to get started.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Sheepat Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
First of all, your analogy is horrible.

Second of all, you do not clearly grasp what Natural Selection is, though you do have somewhat of an idea.

A) Creatures do not spontaneously form anything that helps them. Organisms weed out anything that damages them or is unneeded.

That is something that many fail to realize. It is weeding out.

B) Organisms do not spend energy to adapt to a situation that is not there. Humanity has evolved to the point where there are very few recurring problems that need to be dealt with. War is the only thing one could state, and even that has evolved.

Overall, you really have no argument. Those are not holes in the theory, those are simply misunderstandings.

Now. Let me see here. Let us talk about your beliefs. So many holes in that, I don't even want to get started.
Then don't
Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepat View Post
Fine. Look at animals in the wild. A lot of them have a unique aspect: Tails. They can be used to balance, for an extra limb for climbing. It would easily help humanity. Yet how come we don't have tails?

Also, many changes in our body, for instance a sixth finger, is not there in the next generation. If it takes millions of years for us to evolve, we'd at least see SOME change.

Let's take evolution to a deck of cards. We shuffle them and shuffle them, and we expect new things. For instance, let's say said deck of cards has only diamonds. If I shuffle them, they only become bent and ruined. There is no change. The diamonds do no become spades.
No offense, but you seriously don't have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about. I always do enjoy people who think they have better logical and analytical skills than thousands of professors and biologists who spend over a decade getting their PhDs. Seriously?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 11-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepat View Post

Our ancestors used to have tails, actually. That's what the tailbone is all about, right below where your spine was. But then one of the ancestors of the human species, for whatever reason, decided to stop living on the trees and start living on the ground, and mastered walking on two feet, eliminating the need for a tail as balance. It became vestigal, we stopped using it, and it slowly, over time, stopped growing, probably because for a creature that doesn't live safely up in the trees and isn't a very fast runner having something on your backside that a predator can pounce on or bite, not the best thing to have.

Modern humans are actually a terrible species to look at for signs of evolution, because we've effectively beaten nature at her own game thanks to the invention of medicine and technology. But, there are a lot of instances of rapid, localized evolution. The most obvious one would be cockroaches, and how even when you bug bomb them a few are probably immune to the poison and then their children are and suddenly your house is just as cockroach infested, this time all immune to bug bombs. The point is, evolution not only has scientific evidence backing it up, but it's literally observable in nature. I'm the first to say that God may exist, but He has neither of those things going for him, and the concept of Young Earth Creationism or any variant thereof not only doesn't have that, but is actually defeated by scientific evidence in the first place. You can't counter observable science with a flawed logical statement. It was logical for people, before the heliocentric orbit was proven, to look at the sky, see how the sun moved, and say "that revolves around us." You're basically saying that in a world where we know the earth revolves around the sun.

Last edited by Lord Fedora; 11-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:24 AM
most duded Offline

no religion. just not my thing, ya now