Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Discussion

Discussion This is for discussion about current events (news), issues, politics, and any other topics of serious discussion. For more casual talk, go to the Other Chat board. Proper sentences, spelling, and grammar is especially strict in this board.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Should homosexuals be allowed to marry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
That does not keep it from being a State affair, which it is.
Quite right, but the Fed decides what is the affair of the states and what isn't. Once again, do you have any historical examples to support your statement that the "Fed cannot interfere with state affairs"?

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."
Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Quite right, but the Fed decides what is the affair of the states and what isn't. Once again, do you have any historical examples to support your statement that the "Fed cannot interfere with state affairs"?
Nowhere, good sir. It seems you have me at that point.

However, it is not that the government doesn't care, it's that they have more immediate problems to fixate on. And, since the Feds don't need to get involved since many states are legalizing it anyway, why bother?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Nowhere, good sir. It seems you have me at that point.

However, it is not that the government doesn't care, it's that they have more immediate problems to fixate on. And, since the Feds don't need to get involved since many states are legalizing it anyway, why bother?
Isn't that the very definition of not caring? Or in this case, not caring enough (I'll amend my previous statement, since it would be silly to argue that the government doesn't care at all)? To focus on another, more important issue, because the issue of gay marriage is simply not important enough, is exactly what it means for a government to "not care enough" about a certain issue. Other than that, what you said is completely true.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Isn't that the very definition of not caring? Or in this case, not caring enough (I'll amend my previous statement, since it would be silly to argue that the government doesn't care at all)? To focus on another, more important issue, because the issue of gay marriage is simply not important enough, is exactly what it means for a government to "not care enough" about a certain issue. Other than that, what you said is completely true.
Which is more important? Fixing the debt crisis or doing what states are already doing?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Which is more important? Fixing the debt crisis or doing what states are already doing?
Fixing the debt crisis, naturally, which in no way diminishes the fact that ignoring one thing in favor of another is the very definition of not caring enough about that thing to do anything about it.

Art Gallery
Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Fixing the debt crisis, naturally, which in no way diminishes the fact that ignoring one thing in favor of another is the very definition of not caring enough about that thing to do anything about it.
No, they care enough. It is just not as important as trying to keep the country actually running.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
No, they care enough. It is just not as important as trying to keep the country actually running.
Care enough for what? To actually make it happen? Clearly not, as if they did they would already have or be doing so as we speak. But enough arguing about the semantics of enough, I think. I've made my point.

Art Gallery
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Kenny_C.002 Offline
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Send a message via AIM to Kenny_C.002

Quote:
These two things aren't mutually exclusive to each other. Congress processes and debates on many different bills and laws in a single day. They aren't mutually exclusive entities to which congress can only concentrate on one thing or another. I would presume that the lack of debate on this topic could only be a sign of "not caring enough" about it. Then again, it isn't that important in it that it isn't made illegal.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Yes. The government has no right to say one relationship is more valid than another. Any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult, without regard for any other criteria.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fedora View Post
Yes. The government has no right to say one relationship is more valid than another. Any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult, without regard for any other criteria.
Even in the case of incest or polygamy?

Art Gallery
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
TRK4ever Offline

Quote:
Why not? If family wants to marry family let them be.... Polygamy? If you can date around and have sex with many partners why shouldn't you be allowed to marry more then one person?

I personally would rather marry one person who wasn't my gender or my blood relative... but If it makes them happy enough that they aren't killing,stealing,raping and whatnot go ahead!

I really don't see the big deal about two guys tying the knot... or two females......
Fav legend: Mew
Friend code" 4470 0352 8338
Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
White Knight Offline

Exactly! In the early years of life, we teach children to respect people based on who they are, not anything as silly as the color of their skin. If we were able to rid the county of our discriminations against races, why can't people accept this? I mean really, this is LOVE people. They can't control it, why should they be hated upon for it?

Thanks Pokemon Trainer Sarah!
ASB|VPP

Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora

Quote:
Yes, as a matter of fact. What business of it is mine, or anyone else's, if two siblings want to get married, or someone already married wants someone else as well. As long everyone involved is alright with it and no one is hurt, then what place does the government have to say no?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, as a matter of fact. What business of it is mine, or anyone else's, if two siblings want to get married, or someone already married wants someone else as well. As long everyone involved is alright with it and no one is hurt, then what place does the government have to say no?
If you look, almost every culture on Earth has an incest taboo (<note that word). If it is considered morally incorrect by society, then it will remain morally incorrect. That is what morals are all based on. Society agrees on what is right and wrong. As we have seen, society is starting think gay marriage should be legal. As we have also seen, society is not pushing for incest or polygamy.

Polygamy. Hm. Never thought about that one. It was legal in India, I don't know if it still is. But, as I stated above. If society is permitting, then let it be done, but so far, it is not.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-21-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Quote:
Any children that come out of an incestuous marriage are likely to be hurt, for one, by a host of congenital birth defects that may even cause death are certainly pain and suffering. After all, incest is taboo in almost every single culture and there isn't a single major religion that speaks well of it, strongly indicating that that taboo stems from the fundamental biology of humans and is embedded deep within our social psychology. In short, incest is a crime in which humanity is the victim, and this is something that is unconsciously recognized across the entire world.

As for polygamy, does it not come across as manipulation to you at all? According to your logic, victims of kidnapping who exhibit Stockholm syndrome should be allowed to live with their kidnappers for the rest of their lives rather than return to their families. When it comes to human wants, nothing is clear-cut. There are a host of reasons for inducing polygamy other than romantic love that could all be seen as manipulations on part of the man that are equally bad as Stockholm syndrome. Oh, and let's not mention the fact that by its very nature it objectifies women and reduces their status as equal to men due to the differences in how men and women perceive romantic relationships. Wives become a status symbol, the same as a big house or a nice car. In this way polygamy is much like prostitution.

The situation is infinitely more complicated than you make it out to be, and although I do not definitely disagree with you (I am uncertain as to what is right myself) I do not think you comprehend the intricacies of the problem. A "do as thou wilt" attitude towards the actions of others is certainly easy, but it is horrifically unrealistic and can only be detrimental to the human race. Society, after all, does not consist of isolated bubbles of human interaction. Just because there is no clear victim from a crime, does not mean that it doesn't hurt.

Art Gallery

Last edited by Lusankya; 07-21-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Closed Thread