Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Other Boards » Other Chat

Other Chat For non-Pokemon discussion on everything else. For casual talk only, any more serious topics such as current events, should be in the Discussion. You can talk about anything else that is not covered in the other "Other Boards" that are above.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Languages you know, are learning, or would like to learn!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Learning new languages is always so interesting to me; even just learning about learning other languages.

Anyhow, English is obviously my native language, but I'm also learning Deutsch (German).

Though of course, everyone in all of my classes are giant idiots when it comes to pronunciation...they don't even try. *facepalm* Stupid highschoolers.

And watch me own them even more next year with pronunciations since I totally went to Germany (and other countries, too) for like two weeks. xD;
You have no idea how much going to the source of the language you're learning--or one of the sources, I suppose--really helps. It just...it just does, really.
If you went to Germany, what do we Germans call it?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Jessu Offline

Send a message via AIM to Jessu Send a message via MSN to Jessu Send a message via Skype™ to Jessu

I obviously know English. xD

I used to know quite a bit of Spanish though! I took a couple of classes in my high school years and hung around a lot of Spanish-speaking people. Then stuff happened and I never got around to using Spanish so I forgot a lot of it. xD

I REALLY wanna learn Greek though, mostly because I'm 1/8th Greek and their history fascinates me. c: I've always loved studying about them.
I wanna learn a bit of Latin too. xD I know it's a dead language and really only used for scientific names anymore, but I still think it would be cool to know, especially to understand a lot of other languages since a good majority of them are derived from it.

kbye

Remember you're loved, and you always will be;
This melody will bring you right back home.

| Factfile | Quotes | Art | Sprites | POL |
Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Sixto Offline
Sofa King Cool

Send a message via AIM to Sixto Send a message via MSN to Sixto

Fluent English and Spanish.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Kat Send a message via MSN to Phantom Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Sie konnen nicht deutsch sprechen. Das nervt! Es ist eine so schone sprache! Not really though. German is actually a very harsh and aggravating language xD All the throat sounds make it sound like Arabic xD
In my opinion, Dutch and Hebrew beats German in aggravating languages. ;) (That's what makes them awesome, though.)

- Kat

(Banner by the epic Neo Pikachu) TAC Challenge: I'm learning Finnish! ^-^

My Author Profile | URPG Stats | Kat x Bryce
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
In my opinion, Dutch and Hebrew beats German in aggravating languages. ;) (That's what makes them awesome, though.)

- Kat
I can speak a little Hebrew (some of my family is Jewish), it is pretty bad about throat sounds too xD

Dutch. Hm. I do not really sense much of a difference. Though, I have not met many Dutch people who actually speak their own language. Most speak English, and surprisingly well too.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
I can speak a little Hebrew (some of my family is Jewish), it is pretty bad about throat sounds too xD

Dutch. Hm. I do not really sense much of a difference. Though, I have not met many Dutch people who actually speak their own language. Most speak English, and surprisingly well too.
Cool. Hebrew is a very cool-sounding language? And really? I guess my interpretation of German and Dutch is different than yours since I speak neither. Yeah, in my opinion, Europeans are much better at acquiring languages, but I think that's because of their education system. For example, a lot of countries sub their TV shows instead of dubbing them, which makes acquiring English easier. Children also start English lessons in school much earlier than Americans with our foreign languages.

(I always hear that languages such as Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic are useless to learn because many people in these countries know English pretty well for you to go right in and enjoy yourself.)

(I've always thought America doesn't take advantage of the fact that their citizens already know English. While other countries teach English to their children in school early, the US could take the opportunity to teach their children another language and get ahead of the game. Instead they wait until high school or middle school when elementary children pick up languages faster. It seems sad, really.)

/rant xD

- Kat

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 07-15-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Cool. Hebrew is a very cool-sounding language? And really? I guess my interpretation of German and Dutch is different than yours since I speak neither. Yeah, in my opinion, Europeans are much better at acquiring languages, but I think that's because of their education system. For example, a lot of countries sub their TV shows instead of dubbing them, which makes acquiring English easier. Children also start English lessons in school much earlier than Americans with our foreign languages.

(I always hear that languages such as Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, and Icelandic are useless to learn because many people in these countries know English pretty well for you to go right in and enjoy yourself.)

(I've always thought America doesn't take advantage of the fact that their citizens already know English. While other countries teach English to their children in school early, the US could take the opportunity to teach their children another language and get ahead of the game. Instead they wait until high school or middle school when elementary children pick up languages faster. It seems sad, really.)

/rant xD

- Kat
Not only those countries, but most of Europe and the rest of the world. Asia, Europe, even parts of Africa learn English.

EVEN ENGLAND xD

But seriously. It is because of the U.S education system. They try to make learning "fun" and teachers do not truly care about their students. The Teacher's Unions make sure of that. But still, somehow, America continues to produce great things out of nothing. That is what the U.S is good at, neh?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Not only those countries, but most of Europe and the rest of the world. Asia, Europe, even parts of Africa learn English.

EVEN ENGLAND xD

But seriously. It is because of the U.S education system. They try to make learning "fun" and teachers do not truly care about their students. The Teacher's Unions make sure of that. But still, somehow, America continues to produce great things out of nothing. That is what the U.S is good at, neh?
Oh, of course other countries teach English. However, not everybody attains the same level of fluency. When we came from Mexico, my sister, fourteen, knew no English. Even now, my cousin (same age) would not be able to hold a conversation in English despite the fact that they teach English in his school. In Taiwan, my sister was told by her husband to stay close to him because if she got lost, nobody would be able to help her find her way back.

- Kat

Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, of course other countries teach English. However, not everybody attains the same level of fluency. When we came from Mexico, my sister, fourteen, knew no English. Even now, my cousin (same age) would not be able to hold a conversation in English despite the fact that they teach English in his school. In Taiwan, my sister was told by her husband to stay close to him because if she got lost, nobody would be able to help her find her way back.

- Kat
Yes, but (no offense to your heritage), you have to keep in mind at what state Mexico is in.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Phantom Kat Offline
ˇCon ganas!

Quote:
Yes, but (no offense to your heritage), you have to keep in mind at what state Mexico is in.
No offense taken. Actually, being Mexican, I know all too well what state it's in: cousins quitting jobs due to walking past where all the narcs make plans at night, tenants getting kidnapped and thus, not paying the rent to my mother, and so on. Also, not all of Mexico is like that; it's mostly the states that border the US (Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, etc.). Point is, though, when my sister attended school there, things were much safer and much less corrupted, and English still wasn't taught well enough for her to get by in school. Cousins who attended their entire school careers in this safe Mexico would be upper-beginner at best. Other countries who are a bit better off (China, Taiwan, Japan, etc.) don't have as many citizens fluent in English as in Europe. Of course, there are those in these countries that are fluent in English, but that's more on their part for wanting to learn English than on the education system.

I'm getting really off topic (sorry about that), so to get back on the subject of languages:

Do any of you guys study man-made languages, such as Esperanto and Interlingua? I've never been interested in them, but since I discovered Esperanto is more popular than I thought, I'm curious to check it out.

- Kat

Last edited by Phantom Kat; 07-16-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM

I know this has nothing to do with learning man-made languages (even though all languages are man-made xD)

I think it would be good for people to learn Chinese. While the Chinese do business in English, I think it would make them more comfortable and even pleased that you put forth the effort in learning their extensive language. It would definitely help in business deals in the future.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Daughter of Mew Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Daughter of Mew

I know quite a lot of German, but I'm not confident with speaking it at all. Same thing with French. I've been learning them both for five years. I can write, understand and pronounce everything in both languages fine, but when I have to speak to people I get really nervous and forget everything. xD

I'm also currently learning Mandarin . The tones get me every time and I've not learned any symbols at the moment (sticking with pinyin for now kthx). Needless to say, it's going pretty slow.

I speak enough Hebrew to hold a veeeery basic conversation. However, that's to do with heritage. It's just something that's in our family.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:07 AM
YouLookLikeBread Offline
New Trainer

Send a message via MSN to YouLookLikeBread

I know Hebrew, since I was born and raised and live in Israel.
I know Russian, basic Japanese, some German, Yiddish (don't ask), and obviously, English.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey

I know English, and I am extremely knowledgeable of but still learning Latin. Nobody really "knows" Latin unless they can speak it conversationally...

I want to learn Japanese and Italian, and perhaps Korean.

~Professor Geoffrey
Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter of Mew View Post
I know quite a lot of German, but I'm not confident with speaking it at all. Same thing with French. I've been learning them both for five years. I can write, understand and pronounce everything in both languages fine, but when I have to speak to people I get really nervous and forget everything. xD

I'm also currently learning Mandarin . The tones get me every time and I've not learned any symbols at the moment (sticking with pinyin for now kthx). Needless to say, it's going pretty slow.

I speak enough Hebrew to hold a veeeery basic conversation. However, that's to do with heritage. It's just something that's in our family.
Wo bo hui shuo putonghua. As you can see, that is not Mandarin (had to reference my dad to even say that sentence xD). That sentence is Simplified Chinese. If you are wanting to type or write in Chinese, you will also have to learn that. xD