Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: General Board

Pokemon: General Board General discussion about Pokemon in general. If the topic of your thread does not fall into the subjects in the other boards, post it there. In other words, everything else belongs here if it doesn't have a board of its own.

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Kamoosekazi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Kamoosekazi Send a message via Skype™ to Kamoosekazi
Default Am I on the only one that thinks...

Am I the only one to feel like catching legendaries/rares is more of a chore than it is fun or strategic?

This is how every single one of my legendary battles go:

• Step 1: Go to a Pokemon Center/Store
  • Step 2: purchase obscene amounts of Ultra, Great and Pokeballs, if the legendary is in a cave or it's night time, pour all your money on Dusk Balls instead.
  • Step 3: get into combat with the legendary, for some, like Latios/Latias or the Dog Trio, this can take a while
  • Step 4: dwindle it's health as close to 1hp as possible, or just use false swipe
  • Step 5: attempt to keep it asleep long enough to catch it
  • Step 6: (optional step) Keep your pokemon alive long enough to catch it (not the case if the legendary is way weaker than yours)
  • Step 7: Hurl endless amounts of pokeballs of all variety at the legendary.
  • Step 8: Get extremely angry that Pokeballs shake 2-3 times and everything else with a higher catch percentage doesn't shake at all.
  • Step 9: Pray that the rare 3rd shake means it stays in the ball
  • Step 10: Throw the DS cause you ran out of 80 Dusk Balls, 60 Ultra Balls, 80 Pokeballs
  • Step 11: Repeat steps 5-10 until you finally capture the legendary. God forbid it has a nature worth keeping!

-Moose

Mooose?
HG: 3310 0154 1176
Diamond: 4297 5852 0422
Black: 3439 2406 3942
Black 2: 0991 9566 0589
Trade/Breed

Like me as a person? FB, you can totally get the latest news about me and contact me directly from here
Also, my cell phone is on my FB, and texting me means trades at most times of day!

XBL- KaMooseKazi

Last edited by Kamoosekazi; 06-07-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM
atucker22 Offline

Default Re: Am I on the only one that thinks...

I totally agree!! Catching legends has always been more of a chore for me than an enjoyable experience. The stats of all the legends are worth it tho, they are crazy good
The "FireMaster" banner done by Thunder1990 My VPP Stats
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Skylands Offline

The only time I found catching legendaries fun was back in R/B/Y and G/S/C, because there were less of them to go after and doing the same thing every new game can become a repetitive nuisance.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Kamoosekazi Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylands View Post
The only time I found catching legendaries fun was back in R/B/Y and G/S/C, because there were less of them to go after and doing the same thing every new game can become a repetitive nuisance.
Ok, when you put it this way, I can totally agree with this.

In the original R/B(G)/Y there was Mewtwo (Usually designated masterball catch) and the Legendary Bird Trio, which always seemed to have a way higher catch rate than Mewtwo (which they all have 3).

Now, with Gen V, we have the Genie Trio, the Musketeer Trio, and the Tao Trio (even though the mascots are CR of 45).

You add in the fact that Heart Gold and Soul Silver have another 10 or so legendaries that can be caught in the game and you get a little frustrated...

As far as the stats being worth it? Maybe... but I prefer not to use legendaries in my parties... as much as I love Mew, Celebi, Jirachi and Victini :(

Mooose?
Trade/Breed

Like me as a person? FB, you can totally get the latest news about me and contact me directly from here
Also, my cell phone is on my FB, and texting me means trades at most times of day!

XBL- KaMooseKazi
Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Mr420 Offline

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr420

so was the case up until GenV

In my Case I took the time to not make it such a chore. 1st with Victini as its the 1stof the many .
as the battle starts I put my earphones on and let my music play out. Some unusual amount of 420 happens before i pick up the DS and proceed.
I did this mainly thought our each one of the legends in my games.. I love the backtrack and for the most part I've only caught the ones on my JWhite for Dex porposes which i sent over to my US copy of Black ..
I then only enganed in battles with my US legends only so I could hear the song..

Dont make it out to be a chore have fun with it or you'll look back on these time a not good ones.

Pokérus Empire

Last edited by Mr420; 06-07-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky

God bless you Kamoosekazi. When I first joined, I made a thread similar to this, and nobody read it xDDD
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Kamoosekazi Offline

Ya, Mr 420, I know what you're saying, but I play pokemon very recreationally and the 20-50 minutes I spend for one battle really erks me. I don't have that kinda time to spend and wait times on battles like that is why I quit world of warcraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
God bless you Kamoosekazi. When I first joined, I made a thread similar to this, and nobody read it xDDD
You're welcome :)
Just gotta figure out how to type it out in a way thats comical i guess :P

Mooose?
Trade/Breed

XBL- KaMooseKazi
Old 06-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamoosekazi View Post

As far as the stats being worth it? Maybe... but I prefer not to use legendaries in my parties... as much as I love Mew, Celebi, Jirachi and Victini
:(

This is my thing. I catch them and then stuff them in a PC box and never look at them again. Because I feel like it's cheating that I have a Legendary.

...Yes, I am an idiot. Please stop laughing. >.<

I really really REALLY hate the legendaries that run around. I basically run into them, attempt to whittle their damage down, and they're off. When I'm finally ready to catch them, they keep escaping! Ergh.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links
Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Pokemon is for people who like a challenge like most games... If you don't like it, don't play it?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Pokemon Trainer Sarah Offline
Expecto Patronum!

Send a message via AIM to Pokemon Trainer Sarah Send a message via MSN to Pokemon Trainer Sarah

I definitely see it as a chore. The last time I actually had fun going around and finding legendaries was in Sapphire, because I really liked the Braille thing and it was fun working out all the clues and finding the Regis. In Gen IV I didn't even both going to find them all. I don't use them in-game anymore so there's no real point. And now that I've learnt about natures/IVs and stuff I feel the need to SR for good ones, which I'm too lazy to do, which means I just put it off forever. xD Maybe I should start using them in my team again or something to make it more interesting...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
I definitely see it as a chore. The last time I actually had fun going around and finding legendaries was in Sapphire, because I really liked the Braille thing and it was fun working out all the clues and finding the Regis. In Gen IV I didn't even both going to find them all. I don't use them in-game anymore so there's no real point. And now that I've learnt about natures/IVs and stuff I feel the need to SR for good ones, which I'm too lazy to do, which means I just put it off forever. xD Maybe I should start using them in my team again or something to make it more interesting...
This everywhere. I kinda think the reason for this is that it is a large step up from G/S/C, and that we didn't have the Internet know how to find walkthroughs or guides, so it was actually fun trying to figure it out, as opposed to giving up after 5 minutes and looking it up. Not only that, but there wasn't a million legendaries to go find and catch.

I usually try to make my legendary fights interesting by using weak Pokemon, or my favourite Pokemon, or something of the sorts.

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Kamoosekazi Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebop View Post
This is my thing. I catch them and then stuff them in a PC box and never look at them again. Because I feel like it's cheating that I have a Legendary.

Actually, I fully agree with you
Having an legendary seems to be really over powered when it comes down to it, especially since they all usually have a 600+ base stat count.
The only time I actually used a legendary in my party was during HG with Jirachi, and he pretty much solo'd everything for me since he got boosted EXP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pokemon Ninja View Post
Pokemon is for people who like a challenge like most games... If you don't like it, don't play it?

I don't mean to be rude, so don't take it that way.
I grabbed my first copy of Pokemon in December of 1998 (I was 10) and I see a bunch of kids that age still getting into Pokemon for their first time.
Pokemon is essentially a simplified RPG designed for the enjoyment and entertainment of young children.
Within the past year (about the same time I joined this website) I have learned about EVs and IVs, what Natures actually did, how to look at building a team, not just types anymore, but looking at stats and setting up walls, support and sweepers and the importance of having very diverse movesets. To be honest, this has ruined Pokemon in a lot of ways from how I use to play, because now I view Pokemon like I view World of Warcraft: What talents should I place? What gear has optimal stats, how should I combat this class? What abilities do I utilize on a 2v2 battle? What about a 3v3?
True, a lot of us 'original Poke-fans' have been playing long enough to expect more of a 'challenge', however I think most of the challenge should be in the game play and story progression than in the ability to spam a Legendary with pokeballs for half an hour :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemon Trainer Sarah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The pokemaster View Post
This everywhere. I kinda think the reason for this is that it is a large step up from G/S/C, and that we didn't have the Internet know how to find walkthroughs or guides, so it was actually fun trying to figure it out, as opposed to giving up after 5 minutes and looking it up. Not only that, but there wasn't a million legendaries to go find and catch.

I agree, R/S/E was a lot of fun with Legendaries, not to mention the amazing stories behind these Legendaries. D/P/Pl tried hard to create story lines for their Legendaries and B/W stepped it up a bit.
I guess I can also agree with the fact that the internet was not widely used. I personally used it for R/S/E but that was because I was trying to beat the game cause LG/FR were being released and I got my Sapphire late lol
back in the day of G/S/C exploring every nook and cranny of the map and caves was one of the coolest things. Heck I remember getting stuck in the Whirlpool Islands because I left my strategy guide at my friend's house lol. I ended up finding Lugia and spent so long trying to catch him!

Mooose?
Trade/Breed

XBL- KaMooseKazi
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude, so don't take it that way.
I grabbed my first copy of Pokemon in December of 1998 (I was 10) and I see a bunch of kids that age still getting into Pokemon for their first time.
Pokemon is essentially a simplified RPG designed for the enjoyment and entertainment of young children.
Within the past year (about the same time I joined this website) I have learned about EVs and IVs, what Natures actually did, how to look at building a team, not just types anymore, but looking at stats and setting up walls, support and sweepers and the importance of having very diverse movesets. To be honest, this has ruined Pokemon in a lot of ways from how I use to play, because now I view Pokemon like I view World of Warcraft: [I]What talents should I place? What gear has optimal stats, how should I combat this class? What abilities do I utilize on a 2v2 battle? What about a 3v3
Well you've got me there for sure. But "Like most games" that is the beauty of Wi-Fi/Online competition. It's not Pokemon R/B/Y where you can just land a few super effective hits and be done with it, You've gotta try to win, this isn't supposed to be like playing a level 14 rogue in BGs or.. Pokemon R/B/Y..
Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Kamoosekazi Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pokemon Ninja View Post
Well you've got me there for sure. But "Like most games" that is the beauty of Wi-Fi/Online competition. It's not Pokemon R/B/Y where you can just land a few super effective hits and be done with it, You've gotta try to win, this isn't supposed to be like playing a level 14 rogue in BGs or.. Pokemon R/B/Y..
The wi-fi competitions have rules for what pokemon are allowed I believe, so I highly doubt you'll see the teams flooded with Ubers.

I don't really know, just my speculation, I have yet to battle through the built in random battle generator... heck I didn't even know they were accessible yet.
And actually, from most of the wi-fi fighting i've done, and based off of some battle forums I've read, yes, it IS about super-effective hits to be done with it. It's also about strategy; your ability to predict what your opponent will bring out next turn, what EV build it has, what moveset it has, should you swap your pokemon to counter, should you set up?

However, more on topic with catching Legendaries, the competitive wi-fi battling isn't needed to progress the main aspect of hte game, which is to "catch 'em all". So you don't have to EV train, pick out competitive Move Sets, build a team of Walls, Set-Ups and Sweepers or learn how to strategically fight other builds. Catching a Legendary is actually part of the "Gotta catch'em all" aspect of the game, and, thought it shouldn't be easy, there are so many different ways to go about increasing the difficulty.

The hard part should be the puzzle, maze or minions getting to the Legendary, then actually surviving this (usually) higher level legendary and keeping him in a weakened condition just long enough to capture him. heck, I remember the hardest part about Mewtwo was the fact that he could 2-3 shot most of my pokemon AND recover health, so keeping him at a low health level to catch him was a pain. Not to mention in order to get there you had to go through several levels of caves fighting level 55-60+ pokemon.

I personally think they should make places like the Abyssal Ruins a lot more, where there's some sort of a timer when entering a Legendary's lair. Or the pokemon within the cave or sub-system are nearly as strong as the Legendary at the end.

Mooose?
Trade/Breed

XBL- KaMooseKazi

Last edited by Kamoosekazi; 06-17-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Quote:
there are so many different ways to go about increasing the difficulty.
Well ya. I am talking about Pokemon's version of endgame which is after you catch em all.
Closed Thread