Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Zan Sabrefang Offline

Send a message via AIM to Zan Sabrefang
Default Newbie Needs Assistance

Hello there.

Just a bit of background before you read on; I have divised the team below building around a lot of my favourite Pokémon. I read around and saw the kinds of things needed to put together a decent team, but having been someone whom has shy'd away from the competitive side of Pokémon since I started playing the games, I really am looking for a little help with my squad.

As I have been posting for a while now, I am looking into getting into competitive battling. My team probably isn't filled with the best/most popular Pokemon, but I would like to give them a go.

From what I read, I need a set-up based around the following rules (as suggested for newbies): Lead, 2nd Lead, Core 1-3 and Glue.

Lead: Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Modest/Timid
Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (HP DONE)
- Electroweb
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

I picked Galvantula because it is a) one of my favourites and b) it has a rather nice Ability to take advantage of a fantastic STAB move. It's Electroweb can be used to slow down the opposing Lead and then followed up with a nasty attack from one of it's powerful moves to take them out. Focus Sash to keep it in the game a little longer because I know it's defenses are very poor.

2nd Lead: Swampert @ Leftovers
Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Surf/Protect/Roar

Basic Tank Swampert ripped from Smogon. I originally had Empoleon here, but it was advised against and this monster seemed to fit in nicely. The information I read said that it is good to make a Stealth Rock/Spikes user your second lead. I'm thinking of taking Roar in the last slot to force Stealth Rock damage as Swampy can take a hit or two.

Core 1: Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet
Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA (HP DONE)
- Psychoshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

EV spread to help keep Reuniclus in battle to make a dent with his fantastic Special Attack. Add in Recover to his bulk and he becomes a rather frustrating member of my team for the opponent. This set isn't on Smogon, but I'm hoping that as I get more and more used to the ins and outs of Competitive battling that I can make it work.

Core 2: Hydreigon @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (COMPLETED!)
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Flamethrower

Once again, not one completely torn out of the Book of Smogon. With this one I have gone for reliability over power as my luck is not something I would wish on anyone (I once missed 4/5 Focus Blasts). Two very nice STAB attacks and basic EV spred for SpA and Spe to make sure it's a force to be reckoned with. Life Orb will whittle my HP down, but I would need to swap out if my opponent were to predict a Choice Spec and if Hydreigon is my last hope, I'd rather not be stuck with only one attack option (especially if my opponent has more than 1 Pokémon available to them).

Core 3: Dragonite @ Life Orb
Adamant
Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed

Another basic EV spread on my second dragon. I have loved this Pokémon since Gen I and it was a toss up between this guy or Nidoking. With a lot of Focus on Special Nidokings and my full to brimming SpA users, I thought I'd take Dragonite. With my large weakness to Infernape and other Fire/Fighting types, I wanted something that would be able to counter them. This guy seems to fit the bill rather nicely and with Swampert as backup, should do me proud.

Glue: Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- U-Turn
- Pursuit

EVs ripped from a Scizor set, but the moves are not from any specific set. U-Turn for scouting, Bullet Punch and Quick Attack to deal some late game damage and Pursuit to hurt the opponent when switching to counter my favourite Pokémon.

Thank you for your time.

PE2K League Stats

White FC: Miyo - 2236 6365 9321

Last edited by Zan Sabrefang; 05-31-2011 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

Default Re: Newbie Needs Assistance

You may want to consider a bulkier Water-type than Empoleon. It's good, but it can't handle as much as Suicune or Swampert. Or you could get a Wall in there, like Cresselia to absorb nasty blows.(hehehe)

Besides that, your team is pretty well balanced. :o Watch out for Infernape though. Scizor, Galvantula, Hydreigon and Empoleon will all be taken out by it. A good Nape wall is Jellicent or Golurk.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Moe2 Offline

Only Real Flaw that I can see is that its a very slow team. Other than Gulvantula the faster pokemon is Hydragon. Mixed Salamence/Infernape or Swords Dance Garchomp/Terrakion for example could come in and have a very, very easy time OHKOing atleast 1/2 your team. Just some thoughts to consider :/
Old 05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Zan Sabrefang Offline

So swapping out Empo for Swampy seems to be a good way to go and the SwampTank seems like it would make a good second lead with it's defenses and it's ability to use Stealth Rock. My question there is, how do I get 4th Gen Only moves onto a Pokemon? Do I have to teach the Pokemon in Platinum and then trade it over or can it be bred in Gen V?

From what's been suggested, I really would have issues with any Fire/Fighting types (mainly Infernape as he seems to be in everyone's team), so would Dragonite make a good Core 3? Dragon/Flying seems to be a good way to go to counter Infernape.

Relaxed
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Surf/Protect

Core 3: Dragonite @ Life Orb
Adamant
Inner Focus
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extremespeed

Any thoughts on these? I'll update my team in the first post.

PE2K League Stats

Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Akuaburedo Offline
New Trainer

I think Dragonite would work great with this team. :O If an Ice-type comes in, you can switch to Scizor or Swampert. I still would consider a physical sweeper (or Glue as you put it) with a wider range of moves to work with. Scizor's great, but your team needs more coverage. A Pokemon like Bronzong or Skarmory would be difficult.

Well, not Skarmory with Galvantula around, but still, I'd be wary of that.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Zan Sabrefang Offline

Edited to add EVs and a brief description for why I chose what I did. I also swapped out Empoleon for Swampert and added Dragonite as my 3rd Core Attacker.

PE2K League Stats

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Machampion Offline
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Machampion Send a message via Yahoo to Machampion Send a message via Skype™ to Machampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Sabrefang View Post

Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Surf/Protect/Roar
Use Surf, Not Protect/Roar.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Yusei Fudo Offline
New Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Sabrefang View Post

Relaxed
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Surf/Protect

Okay i'm going to rate this from about my standards( which is not high or really low).
I'd suggest you use Surf instead of Protect since on this generation i have experienced alot of Feint users, i know it's like a 1/6 chance of your opponent having Feint on their team but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I would also advise that you use Swampert as a 1st lead instead of a 2nd, but then it will ruin the whole flow of your Galvantula so i'll try my best to find a better move set for that Galvantula so it will work well as a 2nd lead rather than a 1st.

Edit:

Item: Life Orb
Move 1: Thunder
Move 2: Bug Buzz
Move 3: Energy Ball / Volt Switch
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
Item: Life Orb
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid

And here is a explanation about the chosen sets;

By far Galvantula's most interesting option is the combination of its ability Compoundeyes and STAB Thunder, which when combined with the power of Life Orb does a minimum of 72% to 248 HP Scizor, which is even more than Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt. Bug Buzz complements Thunder, covering the Grass-types who resist Electric-type attacks, notably Celebi. It also gains super effective coverage on other Pokemon who can take Thunder, such as Hydreigon, Latias, Latios, and Tyranitar, giving Galvantula reasonably comprehensive coverage in two moves. In practice, Timid Life Orb Bug Buzz OHKOes Hydreigon, thus dealing with this and other dangerous threats that think they can take a Thunder. This gives Galvantula a further advantage over other offensive Electric-types.

Between Bug Buzz and Thunder, Galvantula can generally cover most Dragon- and Grass-types very effectively, which means that the common headache for other Electric-types about whether to run Hidden Power Ice or Hidden Power Grass does not apply, as the Grass-type move is greatly superior. In addition, unlike most Electric-types, Galvantula has access to Energy Ball, meaning it does not have to run Hidden Power Grass at all. With Energy Ball, Galvantula can beat many enemies that are immune to Electric-type attacks, namely Ground-types and Lanturn. With Life Orb, standard Gastrodon is OHKOed and specially defensive Lanturn is 2HKOed with Stealth Rock and Spikes. In the last slot, you can cover specific threats that your more general attacks miss out on, principally Grass-types not hit super effectively by Bug Buzz. Hidden Power Fire deals with Ferrothorn, whom you will otherwise have immense trouble with, and is common enough to warrant a dedicated moveslot. With Hidden Power Ice, you can hit Gliscor for super effective damage, and also get a stronger hit on Dragonite and Salamence, though be advised that you can hit both of these threats for good damage with neutral STAB moves regardless. The biggest advantage to Hidden Power Ice is that you can run a 31 Speed IV, letting you tie with Infernape and Terrakion, which is always useful in a pinch. Alternatively, you can run Volt Switch over one of Galvantula's coverage options, as the ability to scout the opponent may be more appealing to you than coverage on certain specific opponents.

Hope i have helped you. :)

Last edited by Yusei Fudo; 06-25-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
O_man0 Offline
Master Trainer

I just find Galvantula to really hurt as a 'sweeper'. Its Special Attack (and even speed, when compared to sweepers like Jolteon or Starmie) are just NOT where they need to be. Thus, it would seem like Galvantula would quite like a Choice Specs/Scarf set, because it can easily be revenge killed by Scarfed Mons or >108 Speed Mons, so that it can take advantage of the little time it has out. However, its bug typing dislikes Stealth Rock quite a deal, which really dampens its potential as Choice user.

Hydreigon has served me well and poorly in many cases. Sometimes it can rip apart teams. I prefer a Choice Specs Draco Meteor. Oh. My God. That thing is so powerful, I used in 4th Gen.... With Salamence.... and this thing offers another immunity, more Special attack, and *cheers* neutral damage from Stealth Rock. But thats really the only use I could find for him. His speed is (like Galvantula) too trolly to abuse. Hydreigon can function because of its immense power and Stealth Rock neutrality. If you haven't tried it yet, you need to. It absolutely decimates any non-Steel-type without significant Special Defense investment.

Sorry, by the way. I love these Pokemon dearly, and wish they were more viable, but alas, not every Pokemon is born equally.

I assume you're not using Dream World since your Dragonite doesn't have Magic Scale or whatever, but if you are... Give him that, and give Soul Dew Lati@s a chance. Yes. Soul Dew Lati@s. Its legal in Dream World, and nobody knows it. It'll function very similarly to Hydreigon... just... better. It will probably free up a teamslot at Reunicles' expense, however, if you want to balance everything.

Sorry.

I absolutely LOVE Soul Dew Lati@s.