Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Pokemon Main Boards » Pokemon: Interactive Center » Competitive Battling » Rate My Team

Rate My Team Get your competitive battling team rated here and get help with movesets and battling strategies.

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Moe2 Offline

Default Blazing Through the Opposition (Sun OU RMT) ~Revised and Ready for Critisism

With the Release of Black and White came the auto weather inducers DroughTails and DrizzleToad, as well as a whole plethora of offensively oriented Fire and Grass Types to abuse the sun. Basically the Goal is to set up Sun and smash through my opponent with powered up Attacks, no mercy in this scorching heat. One last note I play a lot of wifi, and before every match, every match, I write down what pokemon my opponent is using so I have an idea of what to do.

Ninetails@Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Nature: Timid
168-Speed 252-HP 88-Sp.Def
-Flamethrower
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Hidden Power[Fighting]

This is Definsive Ninetails, speed hits 305 enough to outspeed Jolly Excadrill as Nuetral base 100's. Toxic comes in handy to poison bulky water switch-ins as well as various other threats. HP fighting lets me take on Tyranitar and Heatran fairly well provided I have a substitute up. Flamethrower is the obligatory STAB move of choice because of its PP and accuracy. So far this set has proven much more successful than the Nasty Plot set I was running earlier and I'm liking it a lot. Just because she appears 1st doesn't mean she will be my lead, I never lead with ninetails when I see that my opponenet has a weather team aswell.

Bronzong@ Leftovers
Abillity: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
252-HP 84-Atk 80-Def 92-Sp.Def (2-Spe IVs)
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Hidden Power[Ice]

Thanks to benlisted for the idea of switching Uxie for Bronzong. He has really helped against enemy Dragon Types while still supporting the rest of the team with Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power helps in taking out Gliscor aswell as Dragonight, Garchomp and Salamence. Gyroball hits a lot of speedy threats for big damage and EQ takes care of Excadrill very nicely.
9/10 times I lead with bronzong to set up rocks.

Charizard@Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
Nature: Timid
252-Sp.Atk 252-Spe 4-Def
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power[Ice]

My 1st powerhouse sweeper, with Solar Power acting as a pseudo-Choice Specs boost and a Scarf to make him faster than most threats this guy is a beast. Fire Blast in the sun Decimates anything that doesn't resist it and Air Slash is a nice secondary move with better accuracy. Focus Blast smashes through Tyranitar once again and HP[Ice] is to clean up against Dragons. Unfortunately Dragon Pulse is Illegal with Solar Power so I have to stick with HP[Ice], such a shame since it would have allowed me to hit non-Scarf Latios a little harder :/

Hitmontop@Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Careful
252-HP 252-Sp.Def 4-Atk
-Foresight
-Rapid Spin
-Close Combat
-Sucker Punch

With all these stealth Rock weaknesses on my team and Charizard losing 1/8 of his health per turn I needed to remove those Damn rocks from my side at all costs. In comes hitmon top to do the job aswell as adding a nice Rock resist. Foresieght lets me rapid spin against enemy ghost types and well as ruining stall teams turns of set-up in 1 go. I have EVs in Special defense to help combat Gengar and Friends, and Intimidate helps me dual wall somewhat (his HP is rather lacking tho). CC and Sucker punch are for coverage. Foresight is mandatory in removing SR, Charizard and ninetails can't afford to lose that much damage. Meanwhile Infernape and Venasaur really don't need any more residual damage.

Infernape@Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Jolly
252-Atk 252-Spe 4-Def
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch

Swords Dance Infernape, with a +2 attack boost, Flare Blitz under the sun hits for insane Damage OHKO'ing anything that doesn't resist it, and a lot of things that do. CC acts as a strong secondary attack that doesn't give me a ton of recoil and Mach Punch helps pick off faster threats. This is fairly new and I am still testing him out, so far he has proven to be more successful than the previous mixed set.

Venasaur@Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
252-Sp.Atk 252-Speed 4-Def
-Growth
-Solar Beam
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power[Fire]

The best Chlorophyll abuser to date, Venasaurs DW ability is its saving grace. With Growth Doubling both his offensive stats in a single turn under the sun there is no telling what kind of destruction this guy is capable of. I bring him out Mid to late game, depending on the situation. If I can get a growth under my belt a modest +2 LO Solar Beam or Sludge Bomb crushes the opponent. Even with out the +2 boost Solarbeam hits like a truck, and Hidden Power gets boosts to a base Power of 105 in the sun, so not even steel types (albeit Heatran) are safe.

Threat List

These Guys are a royal Pain the *ss, and I am not 100% sure how to deal with them.

Latios resists both Fire and Grass Attacks. He out paces my infernape, without a Scarf and every single member on my team with a scarf. The only real attack I can Garentee on him is a Super Effective Sucker Punch, wich isnt OHKOing anytime soon. As long as he doesn't have a scarf I have some chance, but I am considering making my Venasaur Timid to out pace the Scarfed versions. With Bronzong I am able to switch into Draco Meteors and can scare him away with Gyro Ball, but I must be wary of getting Tricked.

This guy absorbs my fire attacks and can fire off super charged ones back at me. If he has a scarf my infernape and ninetails may be introuble, so I'll often keep my ninetails in to test to test if its scarfed or not. My own sun hurts me since his flamethrower/Fire Blasts are hitting me for 50% more as well.

Setting up rain... what could be worse for my Fire Oreinted team, Venasuar's speed is halved and Charizards Atk is reduced, not to mention my Fire attacks are 50% weaker. Specially Defensive/Specs ones I'll try to lure in with Infernape for a CC KO. Scarfed ones... idk, he doesnt exactly hit very hard with a scarf and I can switch in my ninetails again to remove his rain. Its an on going war with this guy.

Also removing my sun for Sand, I need to watch out for Tyranitar switchins when using solar beam and Fire Blast. Hitmontop counters this guy pretty well though, with intimidate shutting down his physical attacks and resisting his STABs. Infernape can dishout 70% damage on this guy with an unboosted machpunch on the scarfed sets and obvoisly he won't stay in if not carrying a scarf.

Once agian Hippodown comes in to ruin the fun with more stinky sand. Not weak to Fighting like tyranitar and much more bulky on the physical side hippodown is hard to overcome, If he comes in on my ninetails with a sub I can toxic him. Hitmontop can intimidate him so he doesn't hit as hard and spin away his rocks (althought I'd have to switch out again). Just an overall really annoying guy out to ruin everyone elses fun.

Possible Changes

Ability: Victory Star
Nature: Jolly
252-Atk 252-Speed 4-Sp.Def
-Vcreate
-Fusion Bolt
-Brick Break
-UTurn

On PO this guy would Replace Charizard, however on wifi a lot of ppl b*tch since you can't really find any Victini with Vcreate unless he is Pokesav'd. I dont know anybody who's Japanese (Because V-Create was Only released from the Movie), so where am I going to find a Jolly 31 IV'd Victini with V-Create? Still I'll most likely use him on tougher opponents.

Last edited by Moe2; 05-19-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Mystogan Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 3)

Default Re: Blazing Through the Opposition (Sun OU RMT) ~Revised and Ready for Critisism

I can totally see a rain dance team demolish this team, even with a vena you can't do much.... I think it's a interesting team to look into but with my constant little battles on shoddy/pokemon online, I've seen many rain dance users where this can lead to trouble.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 AM
The pokemaster Offline
PE2K Website Staff

Send a message via AIM to The pokemaster Send a message via Skype™ to The pokemaster
Default Re: Blazing Through the Opposition (Sun OU RMT) ~Revised and Ready for Critisism

I'm not very experienced with competitive battling, but I think you might want to use a second grass type which can abuse Chlorophyll, or maybe Solar Power. Also, a backup Sunny Day set up, incase your lead Ninetales is KOed and a Tyranitar or something comes in. It's a bit risky, but worth it, IMO.

^URPG Stats^
Banner/Avi by Blue Dragon of BMGf
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Moe2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystogan View Post
I can totally see a rain dance team demolish this team, even with a vena you can't do much.... I think it's a interesting team to look into but with my constant little battles on shoddy/pokemon online, I've seen many rain dance users where this can lead to trouble.
You would think that Rain would Destroy this team, but I have beaten almost every Rain Team I have played against. I always lead with bronzong if I see they are running a weather team aswell, because I know that since Toad/Ttar/Hippo and Abamasnow are all slow than Ninetails his drought will be cancelled. In the sun water attacks hit me for nutral and me Venasaur sweeps with ease. Not to mention a +2 CC or even Resisted Fire Blasts in the sun smash through my opponenets team. So long as I can assure my ninetails gets Drought up after Politoad is down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pokemaster View Post
I'm not very experienced with competitive battling, but I think you might want to use a second grass type which can abuse Chlorophyll, or maybe Solar Power. Also, a backup Sunny Day set up, incase your lead Ninetales is KOed and a Tyranitar or something comes in. It's a bit risky, but worth it, IMO.
Once again my lead Ninetails isn't really a lead, it usually takes the number 2 spot because I can see my opponents team before the match starts. I am considering using another Chlorophyll/Solar Power in the mean time but so far everybody has been pulling their weight.

Last edited by Moe2; 05-18-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Viva la Gofre Offline
Stand your ground, this is ancient land.

@Guy saying rain beats, sun, it also works the other way round. Most weather teams will easily beat other weather teams if they can keep their own weather alive the longest. Given team preview, however, users are no longer forced to throw their weather leads into an early deathmatch (As Moe2 has explained if he sees a weather lead, he reserve ninetales for later on). Sun teams are actually at a minor advantage in that they also typically contain grass types who have a fairly easy ride dealing with the water, rock and ground types that permeate the other weather teams.

But yeah, @OP, do Bronzong's EVs reach any specific values? Nice idea with Hidden Power Ice by the way, although don't try and take on Dragonite one-on-one with Stealth Rock, it will beat you thanks to Multiscale if it's at 100% HP.

I'd recommend Fire Punch+Iron Fist on Infernape over Flare Blitz. As horrifically powerful as a +2 Sun-boosted STAB base 120 move with Life Orb is going to be, you're pretty much going to kill yourself after one or two attacks. Fire Punch will still be very powerful under these conditions when bolstered by Iron Fist (DW Chimchar was released via a Japanese even late last year, so if this is a wifi team you may have to hunt around a bit for it), won't bring unnecessary recoil and will also beef up the power of your Mach Punch, all but sealing the fate of any DD Tyranitar or Excadrill you run into (Potentially OHKOing standar 6HP Excadrill after Life Orb damage and a definite KO against 6HP Tyranitat, something non-Iron Fist Ape cannot accomplish)
Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Moe2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva la Gofre View Post
@Guy saying rain beats, sun, it also works the other way round. Most weather teams will easily beat other weather teams if they can keep their own weather alive the longest. Given team preview, however, users are no longer forced to throw their weather leads into an early deathmatch (As Moe2 has explained if he sees a weather lead, he reserve ninetales for later on). Sun teams are actually at a minor advantage in that they also typically contain grass types who have a fairly easy ride dealing with the water, rock and ground types that permeate the other weather teams.

But yeah, @OP, do Bronzong's EVs reach any specific values? Nice idea with Hidden Power Ice by the way, although don't try and take on Dragonite one-on-one with Stealth Rock, it will beat you thanks to Multiscale if it's at 100% HP.

I'd recommend Fire Punch+Iron Fist on Infernape over Flare Blitz. As horrifically powerful as a +2 Sun-boosted STAB base 120 move with Life Orb is going to be, you're pretty much going to kill yourself after one or two attacks. Fire Punch will still be very powerful under these conditions when bolstered by Iron Fist (DW Chimchar was released via a Japanese even late last year, so if this is a wifi team you may have to hunt around a bit for it), won't bring unnecessary recoil and will also beef up the power of your Mach Punch, all but sealing the fate of any DD Tyranitar or Excadrill you run into (Potentially OHKOing standar 6HP Excadrill after Life Orb damage and a definite KO against 6HP Tyranitat, something non-Iron Fist Ape cannot accomplish)
The problem is that the only DW starters that you can get are Male because they were events, which means that egg moves are impossible, just like charizard not learning Dragon Pulse or Venasaur not learning Giga Drain. Thanks for supporting the weather vs weather argument tho

Last edited by Moe2; 05-19-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Dark_Azelf Offline

Id personally drop Charizard for a flash fire user, this would greatly help with the Heatran weakness. Zard just takes way too much team support for lacklustre results. A Heatran or Arcanine of your own might be rather nice. Heatran also walls Latios totally in the sun due to cutting Surfs power.

Also if you replace Zard you'd no longer need Hitmontop, which means you can be a rather huge ass and use Wobbuffet to remove the foes weather starter. Encore also allows you free Growths/SD's with Venusaur and Ape.

Iron Fist is also so much better than Blaze on Ape. Eg. A SD LO CC OHKO's Min/Min Gyarados after intimidate with SR up. Yes you miss THAT much power.

Also i love Chesto Resting with Ninetales as it lets you several more switch ins which is vital on keeping the weather on your side.

Just some things to think about here.
OU Shoddy → #2 on ladder. (Smogon)
UU Shoddy → #1 on ladder. (Smogon)
NU Shoddy → #1 on ladder. (CAP)
Gen 4 WIFI Record → W ~92| L 8
Records Gen 5;
OU B/W → #1 on ladder. (Smogon)
LU B/W #1 Ladder (PO)
GSC OU → #3 on ladder. (PO)

Last edited by Dark_Azelf; 06-06-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Closed Thread