Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Interactive Boards » Art Boards » Sprite Art

Sprite Art For both Pokemon and non-Pokemon related sprite art.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X
Default .:~*Sprite of the Week #11*~:.

.:~*Logo by Tombi.*~:.

There is now a Hall of Fame thread for the winner(s)--and even anyone else who entered even if they didn't place--so go make sure to check it out. In case you need a short sypnosis, though, Graceful Suicune won first place, PapaLuLu27 won second, and both Disco AND BlueJello won third; congrats to them all~

Rules
  • Of course, seeing that this is a pixel art contest, only pixel art is permitted. Images that have been clearly edited in photoshop or are just clearly not pixel art (e.g.: Oekaki and the like) will not be permitted.
  • Make sure to follow the theme of the current week. If it is obvious that the theme was not taken into account, it will not be added to the final poll. I will, however, kindly let you know this and encourage you to try to submit something different.
  • The deadline is Friday, May 20th. You have until then to submit an entry (the poll will be posted up sometime that night or the next morning --in GMT -6:00 time.). You are only permitted to post one entry per week, but you may freely edit your entry until the poll is posted up (any edits added after addition of the poll most likely won't be applied.).
  • Of course, I have referred to a "poll" quite a few times--thus, let me explain. Basically, when the deadline comes, a poll will be posted up that will give the community the opportunity to vote for their favorite. However, it is allowed, and highly encouraged that if you post any feedback on any of the entries, if you could give a tidbit explaining why you like / dislike said entry. However, you can also just go all out and critique all of the entries--THAT would be extremely smiled upon, but it's optional. (I will try to post up a small / detailed / whatever crit once I post up the poll...just to throw in my two cents.)
  • Unless there is a certain size limit range for a theme, just try to stay, at the most, within a 100x100 pixel range.
  • Pixel art must be made strictly for the contest--so do NOT submit anything pre-made. It takes the fun out of things, no?
  • Save as PNG or GIF (note: do NOT save as GIF in paint--generally, only Paint.Net, GIF Animator, Photoshop, and the like can give a clear GIF image.) only. JPEGs will not be added.
  • Just have fun with it, okay? ^_^

Theme
It really seems as if a lot of people here really need to practice on shading.
Thus, the theme of this week is to color and fully shade in one of the following linearts:

*Sugimori Bulbasaur pixel over (By Speed-X)
*Sugimori Defense Deoxys pixel over (by zahuranecs of DeviantART.)
*Zoroark lineart pixel over (by GaiaDragoness of DeviantART)
*Servine lineart (by Dino-K of DeviantART)

(Also, feel free to edit any bits of the lineart that you feel are wonky and whatnot. I encourage you to, in fact.)
Remember, feel free to do whatever you'd like with it, just don't go much too crazy. Be a little more outside of the box; you won't get any extra votes if your entry is bland and boring. And yes, this means that you're pretty much allowed to go outside the general rules of pixel art without any penalty or anything, just as long as you still know what you're doing.
Therefore, feel free to be unique and add a bit of stylism into it, whether you "overshade" (just as long as it isn't so much to where it looks completely gradiented), give it a bit of extra gloss, or just exaggerate any point in general, and/or attempt to even add subtle texturing (or not-so subtle; it's your choice, really.). If you wanna see great examples of tutorials by pixel artists that have a very distinct style...and just general shading tips / tutorials in general, go here and here; here; here (warning: shows slight nudity); here; here; here; and before I go much too crazy, I'll just mention that you can use whatever sources you'd like, really. Just as long as you do at least try to find some inspiration, perhaps. As you can tell, also, DeviantART is a great resource, despite not everything being of top-notch quality--but that's totally inevitable. Like, for instance, this can serve as some awesome inspiration, too! In fact, said pixel art is absolutely...well, absolutely remarkable and gorgeous. *w* If you want the tutorial that shows you how she went through that step-by-step, you can go here! It's a few pages long, but totally worth it.

It may sound a little complicated, but it's really not; just remember to have fun with it and go wild--but not TOO wild--and do your best. Don't be afraid to overachieve, because in a way, that's kinda the point of this. Just have an open mind, and be easily inspired! ^w^

WARNING: AVOID PILLOW SHADING AT. ALL. COSTS. I don't know how much more I can stress this, really...also, shading flatly can be just as bad, bleh.

Entrants

.:~*(Any and every entrant will be recorded in this list.)*~:.

Have fun! The deadline will be May 13, 2011. (lol Friday the 13th) Postponed to May 20, 2011.

Last edited by Graceful_Suicune; 06-21-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Tombi Offline

Send a message via AIM to Tombi Send a message via MSN to Tombi Send a message via Skype™ to Tombi
Default Re: .:~*Sprite of the Week #11*~:.

xD

Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Speed-X Offline

Default Re: Buy It's Kind of a Funny Story The Movie

That looks absolutely gorgeous, Tombi. It probably wouldn't hurt to apply more selective outlining to the actual lineart, though. And some anti-aliasing colors between the red and the black in its mane.

Otherwise, its very apparent that you did use the resources--at least most notably the tadpole tutorial--and that's always awesome to do, no matter ones skill level. I guess that's also kinda the point of this week, too.

...I think ill conjure something once I get home / on my computer. :3

Last edited by Speed-X; 05-07-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Graceful_Suicune Offline
Race the North Wind

Send a message via AIM to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Yahoo to Graceful_Suicune Send a message via Skype™ to Graceful_Suicune

Looks like Tombi won! xDDD

Also, Speed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
[*]The deadline is Thursday, April 28th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-X View Post
Have fun! The deadline will be May 13, 2011. (lol Friday the 13th)
You're wonderful. xD Sorry I couldn't enter this week. D:

~GS.

Pokemon Crossroads!
Pe2k's spiritual successor! :D I'm Suicune's Fire there.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Speed-X Offline

Oops.

And no, as soon as I get home I will add a postponement note to the first post. If we can't get at least one more entry after that, THEN she wins by default.