Member List
Calendar
F.A.Q.
Search
Log Out
Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000  

Go Back   Pokemon Forum - Pokemon Elite 2000 » Intro Boards » PE2K Front Desk

PE2K Front Desk Forum announcements will be posted here. Any questions, suggestions or ideas concerning the forum or the website should also be posted in here. If you need help on your avatar or signature, or help on using the forum, this is the place to go.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Send a message via AIM to -Pichu Boy-
Default Anonymous Forum

I was just thinking, that on one forum I used to go on, there was a forum that was available for guests to post in, that was sort of an 'Agony Aunt' forum, if you will. What it allowed was for people to log out of their account and post in it anonymously, with no-one being able to see their IP address. So, this would allow for questions to be asked that they might not otherwise have wanted to have posted while named.

I know there are some bad points to this. It's practically begging spambots to come to it. Also, having no IP addresses could be a pain, so possibly maybe make it so Ryan and Ryan alone can see IP addresses, so as to IP ban any spambots and stuff. And there would still be the forum rules applying to it, so if it starts to become a Pe2k Formspring, with bullying, then they can be IP banned.

It's just a suggestion, agree/disagree/flame all you like.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Anonymous Forum

I do not think it'll work, and until we come up with a faster way to kill spammers other than manually post them on a separate "Spam Bot" thread (which gets spammed too, strangely enough), I doubt we could afford something so open.

And when I read the title, I instantly thought of the group Anonymous... woah...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

Make a password which is advertised on the main forum; for example it could be 'pe2k2011' and that would cut down more spammers.

Can't see it being popular as many members (such as myself) would stay logged in.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM

That and it would defeat the purpose of actually recruiting more members to join if one could just post a comment anonymously.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM
SLC Offline

Send a message via AIM to SLC

No it wouldn't? There would be the same level of activity, just without knowing who people are. It's not like it'd kill activity on the main forum.

AIM: Politoed Prince

Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCalamity View Post
No it wouldn't? There would be the same level of activity, just without knowing who people are. It's not like it'd kill activity on the main forum.
We want regular visitors, not a person who could simply go totally anonymous. Unless you are saying we have to have an account to go anonymous in the first place.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Giratina Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
We want regular visitors, not a person who could simply go totally anonymous. Unless you are saying we have to have an account to go anonymous in the first place.
If the new user wanted to access the rest of the forum, they would just need to sign up. After all, it's not like we're making a parallel of the entire place.

"Wigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewigglewiggle."
~ World famous singing sensation, Stefan Gordy.

(For the longest time I was telling myself that I would come back to PE2K once I had something artsy and cool to contribute... but that's too much effort. GIRA IS BACK!)

(vpp da)
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Lord Celebi Offline
Zhu-Quiao

Send a message via AIM to Lord Celebi Send a message via Skype™ to Lord Celebi

PE2K's /b/ is Other: Chat, if that's what you're getting at. :P
Old 05-05-2011, 05:35 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

Titanium, the whole point of it isn't to be a complete replica of the forum. It's to be one board that guests can log in to (I guess, yes, a password could be used - it could be posted in the board description, because spambots can't read) and post anonymously. So, say, a question someone might want answered, but doesn't want to post it named. Using it for idle chit-chat would be nigh on useless, since no-one would give you the time of day.

It'd be available for members who are logged in to post, also, to answer any questions. Maybe make it so only guests and Ryan/the rest of the "admins" have the ability to create new threads?

So, yeah, it could be labelled or something as the 'Private Help Forum', or something.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh! I thought you meant they could access the entire forum. Okay, I get what you are saying.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Speed-X Offline

Send a message via AIM to Speed-X

Well...there could be a possibility that we could assign certain users--whether they be staff already or not--to moderate said forum and deal with the spambots and such...but the question is: will we even get that many spambots?

Also, Pichu, I'm rather curious by what you mean by this:
"that we could ask questions we'd rather not ask as members" sort of thing. After all, what would be wrong with pm'ing a staff member with said question(s); and even then, if they couldn't be trusted to secrecy or something without judging you for it, then they probably shouldn't be on staff to begin with. ^^;
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM
-Pichu Boy- Offline

The job of mods isn't to help people with real-life problems - it's to look after the forum and protect it from rule-breakers. It's like, you wouldn't go up to the manager of a shop and start telling him about your problems. You'd write into an agony aunt column or something, which is anonymous. Some people wouldn't want to be judged, so the Other: Chat board isn't really an option.